Warranty comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know there have been threads on different warranties, ie: SquareTrade, Best Buy, etc.

I recently purchased a 70" Sony K550A on sale for $1599 and am looking to purchase a warranty alongside it.
Many people post that warranties are and are not worth the money, as it's a bigger purchase I think I want the peace of mind knowing i'm covered if something does happen.

The 2 main companies i'm looking at are SquareTrade, which from what I understand are a reputable company, the only downside is I got this TV on sale and if something does happen they'll take out repair costs and in turn i'll have a hard time finding a comparible tv at the price.
Cost $99 through costco or $199 on their website

The other warranty i'm looking at is straight through Sony extended warranty. There a couple upsides I see, including replacement with free shipping and other things, basically seems like the manufacturer warranty, just extended.
3yrs - $149
4yrs - $199

I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to this part as i've never considered an extended warranty before, but I would like the peace of mind on this purchase.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
My good experience with a Sony plan was on a purchase made 7 years ago, things may have changed since then. I'd go to Sony's website and find the terms and conditions of their plan, then compare with Squaretrade, Mack, etc. What you want to know is whether replacement is based on getting you a comparable model or getting you something at the price point you paid, since you got the set for roughly 1k off normal pricing. If the former they'll most likely go for a similarly sized/featured set, if the latter you'll be restricted to the sale price originally paid.
cclucky04 likes this.

Steve S.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Thanks, that's a good point and sony replaces with a comparible model, it's comparable in price with purchasing square trade online, so for what I paid I think I know what i'm gonna go with
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page