4K Sony XBR-65X900A and 4K videos from YouTube via Opera - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently used the web browser Opera, and one of it's extensions, to download a lot of 4K videos from YouTube.

I was hoping to use them to demo Sony's 65 inch 4K HDTV. The audio worked, but the video didn't. There was an error message stating that it was "not supported.". (I tried to play them back on the HDTV via a USB flash drive)

The files appear to be Mpeg 4 Quicktime videos, so I am unsure why it did not work.

The local brick-and-mortar home theater store was also unsure why it did not work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Does the Sony support Quicktime would be my first question?

My second question would be if you have tried to go directly to the YouTube videos (not via the extension) (remember to set the video to Original in the video quality button on the YouTube video to get the 4K original) and downloade it to see if that plays.

My third question would be why these are in a Quicktime wrapper, didn't think YouTube used Quicktime?
Is that the extension doing that or are you on a Mac? (which explains automatic Quicktime wrapping).

Very few hardware or software outside of Apple support Quicktime because of the licensing needed.
SmallvilleFan20 likes this.
post #3 of 31 Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much coolscan for your excellent questions and insight.

You are indeed correct. Apparently, the Sony 4K HDTV does not support Quicktime according to Sony's website.

Here are thes specs according to Sony's website:

USB Play : Yes (USB viewer supports FAT16, FAT32, exFAT and NTFS file systems.)
USB Play (Contents) : MPEG1/ MPEG2PS/ MPEG2TS/ AVCHD/ MP4Part10/ MP4Part2/ AVI(XVID)/ AVI(MotinJpeg)/ MOV/ WMV/ MKV/ WEBM/ 3GPP/ MP3/ WMA/ WAV/ JPEG/ MPO

Also, I did indeed go directly to YouTube to download the videos. Sorry I didn't make it clearer, but I just used the extension's download icon in the Opera browser. I have set it to original like you said and am downloading them again. Incidentally, the files are still showing up as Quicktime as we speak.

(Please see the attached screenshot)
Opera 4K Video Screenshot_1.png 559k .png file

And you are correct, I think the extension is what created the Quicktime wrappers.

Thank you again for your time and assistance!
Attached Images
File Type: png Opera 4K Video Screenshot_1.png (559.2 KB, 43 views)
post #4 of 31 Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The Horses video has a downloade button (when you don't use extension) where you can choose Original and downloade directly.

Most of these videos in the link has downloade possibility and are uploaded in 4K. Then they will not have Quicktime wrapper. (I checked)
Unfortunately the SkydiveDubai 4K was uploaded in 4K but is now not in 4K anymore. I mentioned this because it would be a very good demo video for a 4K display; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KEUmsXc_mo&list=PLvsbWnWwishe9hRdhyHZqVB57WWkiRq3M

post #5 of 31 Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

coolscan, I have deleted the extensions in Opera that permit me to download videos from YouTube to simplify things.

In my version of Opera, I don't have a download button between About & Share.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
post #6 of 31 Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

coolscan,

I just downloaded and installed the following program:

http://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

It seems to be working, but I wonder if the clips will be "true" 4K clips when it is all said and done.

I'd still really like to try the way you are suggesting, but I can't seem to get Opera to cooperate.

What would you suggest, as my version of Opera is up-to-date.

Thank you again so much for your help! smile.gif
post #7 of 31 Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallvilleFan20 View Post

coolscan,

I just downloaded and installed the following program:

http://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

It seems to be working, but I wonder if the clips will be "true" 4K clips when it is all said and done.

I'd still really like to try the way you are suggesting, but I can't seem to get Opera to cooperate.

What would you suggest, as my version of Opera is up-to-date.

Thank you again so much for your help! smile.gif
That is strange........
I am also running Opera 12.15. on a PC.
I tried with Opera Next (15) but there I don't have the downloade button.

Found it!!!
I have an Extension (able but hidden) that I had forgotten i have. Try this one; https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/youtube-downloader-2/
When this extension is set to active in the Opera Extension manager the Downloade button appear on the YouTube page.
After installing; refresh the YouTube page.
catonic and SmallvilleFan20 like this.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

coolscan,

Your suggestion did the trick!

I hope to go by my local brick-and-mortar home theater retailer sometime this week.

If you want, I'll let you know how it all goes.

Thank you SO very much for all of your help! I really appreciate it a lot! smile.gif
post #9 of 31 Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Would be nice to hear your report.
Just remember to turn of all the processing crap in the displays and most important for these UHD displays; Turn sharpening to Zero.
post #10 of 31 Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your help, and I'll post something after I hopefully get to go by the shop again in the next few days.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-04-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Would be nice if you asked if the Sony 55" & 65" UHD TV works with the FMP- X1 4K Player or if the TVs needs to have a new HDMI board fitted, which is the word on the street.
If the displays work with the player, it would be nice to know how the image quality is.
post #12 of 31 Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hello,

I recently used the web browser Opera, and one of it's extensions, to download a lot of 4K videos from YouTube.

I was hoping to use them to demo Sony's 65 inch 4K HDTV. The audio worked, but the video didn't. There was an error message stating that it was "not supported.". (I tried to play them back on the HDTV via a USB flash drive)...

The reason you get the "not supported" error is that, according to the built-in iManual, the Media Player app built in to the x900 sets does not support 4k playback; maximum supported resolution is 1920 x 1080.
I have gotten the same error trying to play 4K .mp4 videos downloaded from YouTube on my 55" x900.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 13
The reason you get the "not supported" error is that, according to the built-in iManual, the Media Player app built in to the x900 sets does not support 4k playback; maximum supported resolution is 1920 x 1080.
I have gotten the same error trying to play 4K .mp4 videos downloaded from YouTube on my 55" x900.

Could you provide a link to this information?

Also has ANYONE got any 4k to play if so where when how??? I'm not talking upscaling.

Ta

Chris
post #14 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

coolscan,

I was just at my local -brick-and-mortar home theater store, and the rep said that it would not make any sense for Sony to require customers to purchase an additional board in order to support the FMP- X1 4K player.

He did not seem to know the definitive answer, so I guess take it for what it is worth, but he did not think that was the case.

They are usually pretty knowledgeable, so lets hope this is indeed the case.

Also, the FMP- X1 player they had on hand was still a dummy/demo unit with no internals, so I was unable to assess it's picture quality. Sorry about that.
post #15 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

bobedot,

After using the above method (using Opera etc) prescribed by coolscan, I got the same unsupported error message yet again today.
post #16 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I'd let you know, that I tried again today getting these files to run on the Sony UHD set, and was unsuccessful yet again.

One thing of note, even though I have not been able to really assess this TVs picture quality, I will have to give it props for it's speakers.

They do indeed seem to be a step above your typical sets internal speakers.

The store rep that waited on me told me that they are getting some negative feedback/missed sales due to the extra cabinet width of the set.

I personally really like this aspect. For those who don't want or need external speakers, it does provide a really clean set-up.

I am not sure even a soundbar would be warranted.
post #17 of 31 Old 07-10-2013, 03:32 AM

I really appreciate the feedback. Just to ensure I am no dunce I've attached a photo I took today of the back of my 55. Does this mean I will have problems and need the HDMI 2 board or whatever.

I'm in the UK and bought the set because of the promised Sony 4k downloading Cheese Wheel.

Are we going to get it in the UK or not and if so will my 55 need the upgrade?

I went to the 4k Premium test site and it said I was ok but I suspect it's because it only understands the USA serial numbers.

Also - PLEASE - I cannot seem to get any 4k downloads anywhere which will run on this set mad.gif I went to the LG forum looking for the promised links and failed to find them

Cheers to All

Chris
post #18 of 31 Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

It is quite a bit of scandal brewing around the release fo the FMP- X1 4K player with unsufficient information from Sony both regarding the number of 55"/65" UHD TVs that will need a upgrade and information from vendors which TVs the FMP- X1 4K player will work on.
Somebody called all the big vendors of the FMP- X1 4K player, and they all said it will work on all brands of TVs. That is not the case.

Sony has clearly stated that the FMP- X1 4K player will only work on Sony UHD displays.
But they have not been clesr enough about this to journalists, but in all sales promotion and manuals, they clearly states the FMP- X1 4K player will only work on 55X900A and 65X900A. The 84" might work after a HDMI upgrade.

Some of the 55X900A and 65X900A will also need an upgrade of the HDMI Port-4 to work. The reason is a late decision to change the HDCP protocol of the FMP-1X to HDCP 2.2.

There is quite a lot of anger from the VW1000ES projector owners that it will not work on the projector.
A lot of discussions on the VW1000ES thread about this for several days because for some months Sony reps. said it would work, but now they are waiting for a confirmation about the possibility of an upgrade.

The VW1000ES thread is probably the most active and informed about this issue starting a week ago (page 155 or earlier if you want to know the whole enchilada).

The Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread also discuss this (go back some pages).
Quote:

coolscan,

I was just at my local -brick-and-mortar home theater store, and the rep said that it would not make any sense for Sony to require customers to purchase an additional board in order to support the FMP- X1 4K player.

He did not seem to know the definitive answer, so I guess take it for what it is worth, but he did not think that was the case.

They are usually pretty knowledgeable, so lets hope this is indeed the case.

Also, the FMP- X1 player they had on hand was still a dummy/demo unit with no internals, so I was unable to assess it's picture quality. Sorry about that.
The salesclerk is obviously clueless about both the TV and the 4K player. Now you have the opportunity to educate him, and make him call Sony support.
It is not a purchase of additional board. The TVs that need the new HDMI Port-4 will be offered it free from Sony.
From the FMP-1X manual (pdf.)

And like AvatarCHRIS states; If the inbuilt media player doesn't support 4K then you won't get to play 4K directly from a USB stick to demo the TV. This is also something the salesclerk at the store should have known.
It is of course possible that the media player will later be upgraded to handle 4K. Should be a obvious function from the start.

Look at the footnotes at the bottom of the page (in the grey bar right hand) of the FMP- X1 4K player Sony store page. It states; "2. The Sony FMP-X1 4K Ultra Media Player is exclusively compatible with Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs (55X900A and 65X900A). Ethernet connection required. Fees may apply for 4K networked video service."
It is of course nice of Sony to take care to hide this important information as good as possible. tongue.gif

They have the same footnotes on their Support page for the FMP-X1 4K Ultra Media Player in the Marketing Specifications pdf.

To know more about Sony's plans for future content protection and intrusive DRM; http://torrentfreak.com/sony-video-players-should-be-internet-connected-to-beat-pirates-130703/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarCHRIS View Post

I really appreciate the feedback. Just to ensure I am no dunce I've attached a photo I took today of the back of my 55. Does this mean I will have problems and need the HDMI 2 board or whatever.

I'm in the UK and bought the set because of the promised Sony 4k downloading Cheese Wheel.

Are we going to get it in the UK or not and if so will my 55 need the upgrade?

I went to the 4k Premium test site and it said I was ok but I suspect it's because it only understands the USA serial numbers.

Also - PLEASE - I cannot seem to get any 4k downloads anywhere which will run on this set mad.gif I went to the LG forum looking for the promised links and failed to find them

Cheers to All

Chris
You have nothing to worry about. The FMP- X1 4K player is not going to be released or function outside of the US. wink.gif

Sony says "no plans" to bring 4K Media Player to UK

Even if you import it to the UK, and manage to make an account through a proxy server in the US and a US account, I think it is quite possible that it will fail after a while.
Both the TV and the FMP- X1 4K player needs to be connected to the net through the same router to verify that the roght type of TV and player is connected. This will be required to see a movie that is already downloaded to the player.

If Sony UK or UK shops have promised something else, you ought to complain.
Call Sony UK for firmware upgrades.

-
post #19 of 31 Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 AM

Wow

Are we absolutely sure about this as I may just throw the TV back if this is the case?

The Cheese Wheel is the reason I jumped to buy this and the Manager of the Sony Store in Tottenham Court Road in London said it was coming to the UK.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow

Are we absolutely sure about this as I may just throw the TV back if this is the case?

The Cheese Wheel is the reason I jumped to buy this and the Manager of the Sony Store in Tottenham Court Road in London said it was coming to the UK.
Did you buy the Cheese Wheel in London? Or was it also included in your decision to buy the UHD TV?
Either or, you better return to the Sony store and have a serious talk with the Sony Store manager.
post #21 of 31 Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really sorry to hear about everyone's troubles.

To add insult to injury, I watched a video interview that discussed how the 4K bit and gamma color specs still have not been finalized, as well as the specs for HDMI 2.0.

I have tried finding the video, which I can't seem to find it. ( if I remember correctly, I think it was another interview with Scott Wilkinson)
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong in regards to this.

Here's a vdieo that is maybe close enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JF7a14p8B0

The pains of the early adopter... Grrrr....

One thing I have been thinking, from a philosophical point of view, is that, 4K is an unnecessary stop gap. What everyone really wants (who is in the know etc) is 8K (aka Super Hi-Vision).

For example, it's like buying a 720p HDTV, when you really want a 1080p HDTV.
post #22 of 31 Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Did you buy the Cheese Wheel in London? Or was it also included in your decision to buy the UHD TV?
Either or, you better return to the Sony store and have a serious talk with the Sony Store manager.

In the London Store and the Welwyn Garden City both Managers told me that the Cheese Wheel would be out in Mid-July and that's what sold me. So no I do not own a Cheese Wheel yet.

I have just had the most "Computer says NO" conversation with Niveen at Sony technical support. They won't tell me about the Cheese Wheel , the HDMI 4 issue or whether I WILL have a problem connecting the two as the Cheese Wheel does not exist in the UK.

A wonderfully circular and frustrating, stone-wall of a conversation.

Still I knew all about Sony support before I bought the TV.

Yesterday I got hold of a mastered in 4k 2002 Spiderman. I was shocked. The inital part of the film is so grainy. It improves and YES the enhanced colour (note the spelling there) gamut is cool biggrin.gif

I am deciding every minute whether I should throw the TV back or not.

£3999 is a lot to spend whilst there is so much doubt.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the London Store and the Welwyn Garden City both Managers told me that the Cheese Wheel would be out in Mid-July and that's what sold me. So no I do not own a Cheese Wheel yet.

I have just had the most "Computer says NO" conversation with Niveen at Sony technical support. They won't tell me about the Cheese Wheel , the HDMI 4 issue or whether I WILL have a problem connecting the two as the Cheese Wheel does not exist in the UK.

A wonderfully circular and frustrating, stone-wall of a conversation.

Still I knew all about Sony support before I bought the TV.
That is quite disturbing to hear that Sony will not give you a clear answer. But it is very much in accord with Sony support around the world regarding the issues of the FMP-X1 and the HDMI/HDCP 2.2 issues.

I am afraid that even Sony support initially are taken by surprise by the incompatibility (based on reports from both inside and outside the US here on AVS) and now they don't dear to give an honest answer.
To me it seems that even people that have been given information that these issues are being worked on (mostly regarding the VW1000ES projector in the US) are just being given "the talk around" and that the issues will not be resolved for a long long time.
The same goes for the 84" that also is not compatible with the FMP-1X 4K media player.

Owner of the 4K displays in the US does still have some hope, but people outside the US I beliv can just forget about this.
Like owners of the 84" TV are given a free Dell server that will have the same content as the FMP-1X, but owners outside the US, who has paid as least as much (and probably more) for the 84" TV are given nothing and are basically treated as secondary citizens.
Quote:
Yesterday I got hold of a mastered in 4k 2002 Spiderman. I was shocked. The inital part of the film is so grainy. It improves and YES the enhanced colour (note the spelling there) gamut is cool biggrin.gif

I am deciding every minute whether I should throw the TV back or not.

£3999 is a lot to spend whilst there is so much doubt.

By the way, regarding the "Mastered in 4K" Blu-rays. You might get these for free. This I found on the John Lewis website but might possibly be valid for any of the X9 UHD TVs. Look at this PDF. Strange if the Sony store has not offered you this.

If 4K content is important to you, and I reckon it is, and that you feel that as a UK owner you should be given the same service from Sony as US owners, and has been promised such.
You have several options.
Complain to the consumer protection authorities, which should be much better in the UK/EU than in the US, and ask for a solid rebate.
Don't forget to include upgrade ability to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 for future proofing the TV for future services (might include PS4 4K content sometime in the future) which Sony has promised without specifying if that includes all territories.
Sony deserves to be hit with some serious consumer protection laws over this. They ought not to get away with it.

Depending on the time you have left before you can not return the set and get a complete refund, you could wait and see what RedRay/Odemax and also Nanotech will serve as content, and if their services will be offered outside of the US from the start. But the RedRay player will cost you.
Take care to get in writing from Sony that you can return the set if these Non-Sony services won't serve you to you satisfaction.

Try to get in contact with other UK owners of the Sony 4K-UHD displays so there are more than one complaining.
Tell the story to UK Tech publications to get more awareness of how Sony treats their High-End UK customers.

Don't let Sony get away with this.

-
post #24 of 31 Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to thank you coolscan, bobedot, AvatarChris for all of your help, and insight.

I don't want to bother the guys at my local HT store by going by again, and asking them to let me demo material on their 4K/UHD set.

So, I guess I'll just stick to viewing it with whatever demo material they have on hand when I visit, as I am not in the market to purchase this model.

Thanks again!

I really appreciate it. smile.gif

P.S. AvatarChris, I wish you all the best with your situation, and I hope it all works out in your favor.

You should get the support from Sony that you deserve.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Liked: 14
hi guys who are following this thread,

Sony is sending Techs out to people who purchased the Cheesewheel and the UHD TV's, they are replacing the mainboards that updates the HDMI to 2.0 so the media players will work, but, only if you purchase the wheel, if you only buy just the tv, nope. I don't know whats up with that. I read some reviews on amazon that's where I got my info from as well as the forums for sony as well to confirm this.
myself, I am leaning on getting the 65" Sony and the awesome looking cheesewheel lol or the 80" Vizio, still undecided smile.gif
post #26 of 31 Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniichan View Post

hi guys who are following this thread,

Sony is sending Techs out to people who purchased the Cheesewheel and the UHD TV's, they are replacing the mainboards that updates the HDMI to 2.0 so the media players will work, but, only if you purchase the wheel, if you only buy just the tv, nope. I don't know whats up with that. I read some reviews on amazon that's where I got my info from as well as the forums for sony as well to confirm this.
myself, I am leaning on getting the 65" Sony and the awesome looking cheesewheel lol or the 80" Vizio, still undecided smile.gif
The HDMI board upgrade is not HDMI 2.0. The board is a upgrade for HDCP 2.2. The HDMI is still HDMI 1.4 after the upgrade.
post #27 of 31 Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 16
Another way to watch 4K content is to use a computer. I can confirm that MacBook Pro retina can play 4K videos (like those on YouTube) on my Sony 65" 4K if you run the latest OS X 10.9 Mavericks beta. I believe the same will be true with the latest MacBook Air and upcoming Mac Pro.

It is not possible to play 4K video clips via the USB port...max 1080p. In fact, all of the Smart TV features are in 1080p.
post #28 of 31 Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM

Hi there,

Has anyone got a PC running with this screen yet??

I purchased the 55 Inch and have been trying to find a way for a couple of days now.

I'm in The Uk and my PC is running Windows 8 and uses a top of the range AMD HD 7990 GPU.

Any ideas?
post #29 of 31 Old 08-16-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari1000 View Post

Hi there,

Has anyone got a PC running with this screen yet??

I purchased the 55 Inch and have been trying to find a way for a couple of days now.

I'm in The Uk and my PC is running Windows 8 and uses a top of the range AMD HD 7990 GPU.

Any ideas?
If you don't get some immediate answers here, try to post in this thread; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/1050#post_23632547
post #30 of 31 Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

I'd like to say thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond to my inquiry. I really appreciate it.

To provide an update, I have not been back to the store, and am in a holding pattern in regards to upgrading.

I think I will wait and see what is new at CES. wink.gif

Also, I'd like to apologize on being slow in regards to giving thumbs up for your posts/responses.

Please forgive the newbie.

Sincerely, thank you all again very much! smile.gif
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page