OLED In London - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well I heard they surpose start selling them USA this mouth at BestBuy in Magnolia department for 15,000 thousnds dollars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A question for Jwhip, or anyone else who has seen one of these beasts in the flesh...

Just how better does the image on an OLED set appear in showroom conditions compared to a top-of-the-range plasma or LED?

Obviously, it should give superlative blacks in darkened conditions, but do you otherwise really see that much of a change compared to existing tech?

I'm in the position just now of wondering whether I should purchase a high-end 55" LED set (major burn-in phobia) or go for a cheaper plasma to tide me over until OLED arrives at affordable prices - if, indeed, that actually happens, and isn't many years away.
post #33 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 138
The set looks superb in all respects other than for the burn in issue. Despite that, I wouldn't touch one. I would never buy a first generation product like this one. There are so many reliabiliity issues to be resolved and at this price? UNless you have money to burn, I would go with one of the new Panny plasmas.
post #34 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post

A question for Jwhip, or anyone else who has seen one of these beasts in the flesh...

Just how better does the image on an OLED set appear in showroom conditions compared to a top-of-the-range plasma or LED?

Obviously, it should give superlative blacks in darkened conditions, but do you otherwise really see that much of a change compared to existing tech?

I'm in the position just now of wondering whether I should purchase a high-end 55" LED set (major burn-in phobia) or go for a cheaper plasma to tide me over until OLED arrives at affordable prices - if, indeed, that actually happens, and isn't many years away.

Even if you have "money to burn", the "wow" effect of the OLED will fade when you suddenly start seeing burn in effects.  Then you'll likely feel horrible, and quite frankly, I can't imagine even a billionaire wanting to feel foolish.

Imagine buying a $10 flashlight that was only good briefly and then absolutely horrible?  It'd bother me.

Imagine if it starts showing the USA channel's logo everywhere?  Or CNN's scroll mucks up the bottom of every scene forever?

OLED wear issues are not likely going to be similar to the fixable type of image retention you see on plasma.  Try to keep that in mind.  For example, I'm betting that those burn-in boxes folks are seeing would be there even if they were interspersed with random screen---it'd just take longer.  We need a NON-PLASMA mindset here.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #35 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Which is why I would wait for a couple of model years to see how this all plays out.
post #36 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

Which is why I would wait for a couple of model years to see how this all plays out.

Sure.  That was pretty clear.  And a sensible and common approach to this "blind alley".

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #37 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting I was about to buy an OLED set anytime soon (prob not for at least 24 months, anyway). I'm not that wealthy. :-)

What I was pondering was whether I splash out a still considerable sum of cash now on a new top-end plasma or LED, or just get something cheap to 'tide me over' until I can better spend that cash on proven, cheaper OLED tech. The problem is, who knows when that could be?

Further quick question for Jwhip... What existing tech, if any, does OLED most resemble? CRT, LED or plasma?

Also, how natural did the colours look?
post #38 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not really sure I would say what it resembles as it does look better than anything I have yet seen, probably because of the very deep blacks. I blacks are very very dark and I am used to a 9G Kuro that has been modified to have deeper blacks than stock. The colors are very bold and bright as one would expect being in torch mode.I did however, not find them garrish. I will have a chance to see the curved OLED either Friday or early next week as Robert has invited me up. I will report back once I have seen the Sammy.
post #39 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting I was about to buy an OLED set anytime soon (prob not for at least 24 months, anyway). I'm not that wealthy. :-)

What I was pondering was whether I splash out a still considerable sum of cash now on a new top-end plasma or LED, or just get something cheap to 'tide me over'

No.  Splash away.  If you can afford (for example $2000) then spend $2000.  People sometimes forget just how much time they spend staring at these things, and quite frankly, getting something "cheap" just seems like a bad idea.

post #40 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 386
If someone wanted "videophile picture quality" to tide them over for a few years, a Panasonic ST60 plasma seems like a ridiculously good, affordable choice. If you have "major burn-in phobia", you are not going to be able to buy an OLED in 3-4 years anyway because the risk won't be 0.0%. But if you can understand that burn-in risk is near zero on that plasma, you'd get a great set at a really reasonable price (low $2000s for a 65 inch!, less for a 55 inch).

If you want an LCD instead, you can actually go even cheaper because the picture quality differences in the range you can spend are actually small-ish. You won't see much difference between a Samsung 55F71000 and F6400 in my opinion

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #41 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:

I am not really sure I would say what it resembles as it does look better than anything I have yet seen, probably because of the very deep blacks. I blacks are very very dark and I am used to a 9G Kuro that has been modified to have deeper blacks than stock. The colors are very bold and bright as one would expect being in torch mode.I did however, not find them garrish. I will have a chance to see the curved OLED either Friday or early next week as Robert has invited me up. I will report back once I have seen the Sammy.

PS: the curved OLED from LG are truly THX Certified.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #42 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

If someone wanted "videophile picture quality" to tide them over for a few years, a Panasonic ST60 plasma seems like a ridiculously good, affordable choice.

The reviewers seem to absolutely rave about this thing as being so very close to the very top of the line as to make the very top of the line not worth the increment in cost.

To further Rogo's point, and for anyone pondering this, the current (rounded) pricing of the ST60 (brilliantly offered in 5" increments---pay attention other manufacturers!) is as follows on Amazon:

....All of which are Amazon Prime.

If it weren't for the fact that they didn't come in passive-3D, I probably would have pushed my plasma fears aside this time around.

post #43 of 59 Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 386
What's amusing about that list of prices is that it makes the OLEDs more than 10x the price of a really, really good 55" TV that will probably have fewer problems.

Essentially, a legitimate comparison is between a 3-series BMW and a Ferrari. The sales ratio of those is about 50:1 in the U.S. But at least the Ferrari owner gets to drive around in a Ferrari...

The only imaginable market for a curved 55", $15,000 TV at this point is someone who simply has too much money and feels like they need to impress people with someone no one else has. I recognize the comes off as suggesting I think there's something wrong with that. I don't. I just don't see any other market. If you aren't really wealthy, this is a dumb purchase. If you are a videophile, you don't want to mess with one of these only to have a better one come out 12-18 months later for half the price (and without the stupid curve). If you aren't wealthy, well... my wife recently sold her 10-year-old BMW in excellent condition for about 1/2 the price of one of these TVs.....

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #44 of 59 Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

...but as D-Nice the calibration guru explicitly states in his thread, "This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings...by aging all pixels equally with the same content. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Break-in, Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention."

Exactly, but while D-Nice's slides are unique to his calibration process, they do have the same effect regarding IR and burn-in. Equal agings with full screen content, whether his slides or other slides available on various forums will help the process along. Dewayne is like a "wizard" around these circles, and I've never fully understood the science behind tying his specific slides to his calibration process. I suppose if I did I'd be calibrating panels myself! Sorry to go OT.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #45 of 59 Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TGM1024 - We went to the local Costco yesterday and saw the ST50 for $550. My 60" Sony SRXD finally died and I need to replace it in the bedroom. The Tv is
to be used in a dark bedroom and at that price it's a great choice. Rather than get the Sony repaired, I'll get the St-50 upon our return from a vacation trip next week.

We'll see what happens with the newer formats in the near future. 60" Sony LED still holding good in the living area.
post #46 of 59 Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Wow. ST50 for $550 is a no-brainer. Congrats on the purchase!
rogo likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #47 of 59 Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
That is incredibly good value for money admittedly
David Susilo likes this.
post #48 of 59 Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

That is incredibly good value for money admittedly

I don't think he said what size.  Also, ST50 is last years.  My price list was for the ST60, which is the one with the rave reviews.  I don't know about prior years reviews other than the VT50.

post #49 of 59 Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Well regardless it is still good value, even if it was a 42" ST50 imho

If i could buy one in the UK for that money i would in a second. We pay over the odds big time here eek.gif
post #50 of 59 Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:

As a home-theater and 2-channel audio enthusiast, I am always interested in the latest and greatest, and I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Next Big Thing. Right now, that seems to be 4K/UHD. A couple of years ago, it was OLED, which promised to be future of flat-panel displays. However, to see one of these marvels, you had to go to CES, an event that I was unable to attend the last couple of years. While the sets were promised for sale in the US in mid 2012, they never materialized. Bad sign. At CES this year, both LG and Samsung promised sets again this year, but none have yet showed up on these shores.

There have been whispers that the sets were in very limited production due to low yields and manufacturing issues. In fact, many people were starting to describe OLED as vaporware, at least as far as TVs were concerned. However, after CES, LG announced that a limited number of its 55" OLED sets, the 55EM970V, were going to be sold in South Korea and also in Europe through Harrods in London starting in March. As I was scheduled to be in London in July, I would finally have an opportunity to check out one of these sets myself.

The last—and biggest—issue I had was burn-in. I was advised that LG insisted that a menu be displayed while the set was on. The menu consists of a set of small squares running vertically down the left side of the screen.

jq40bb.jpg

When that menu was removed at my request, rather significant burn-in was clearly visible, especially when that section of the screen was displaying a solid color. However, it was still visible on other types of content, just not as noticeable. After more than 20 minutes, the ghost image did not fade, which leads me to believe that it was permanent burn-in and not temporary image retention.

Whether or not image retention will be a significant issue with this technology is hard for me to say. The sets I observed were clearly being abused—torch mode with the menu on constant display eight hours a day for a couple of months—so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there was some burn-in. However, the extent of the burn-in was surprising nonetheless. I do not know if the set was broken in using color slides or some other method before being put on display, but be forewarned that the potential for burn-in is a real one. I should note that I saw no evidence of burn-in on any part of the screen other than the area containing the menu. For example, the areas where black bars would be seen on 2.35:1 material had no evidence of burn-in at all.

Having two OLED sets on display is one thing; being able to actually buy one and have it delivered to your home is quite another. I was told by two separate salesmen that it takes four weeks from the time you purchase the set through Harrods to the time it is delivered to your home. Four weeks! Now that is very limited production. When I inquired how many had been sold in the store, I was told it was a grand total of four, two of which were ordered by a rather wealthy individual the previous weekend. That means only two were sold since early March. On the plus side, I was advised that both of those sets had been delivered to customers with no complaints since delivery.

As much as I love this stuff, and as much as I was impressed with the blacks on this set, I can't recommend that anyone who does not have the deepest of pockets buy an OLED. Given the potential for burn-in and the uncertainly of just how the OLED material will age, any purchase would be a gamble, one that I am not willing to take.

That is really bad, I am glad I am waiting prices are coming down and hopefully the will have resolved the BURN IN?

post #51 of 59 Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Given the issues reported in the LG OLED thread, I wouldn't touch one of these sets.
post #52 of 59 Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View PostGiven the issues reported in the LG OLED thread, I wouldn't touch one of these sets.

For now I will stick with my ZT60 that was $2,400 and wait until OLED price drops down and these issues are solved

post #53 of 59 Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

=1. I will be sticking to my 141.
post #54 of 59 Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

post #55 of 59 Old 05-09-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a few words from someone who quoted someone at display search.  That's all.

post #56 of 59 Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
More confirmation that OLED is dying...LED Edge lit crap LCD lovers are laughing...and when you tell people an LCD only world is coming they act like you're crazy. Who can take it?
herpderp likes this.
post #57 of 59 Old 05-10-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

More confirmation that OLED is dying...LED Edge lit crap LCD lovers are laughing...and when you tell people an LCD only world is coming they act like you're crazy. Who can take it?

I thought I was insane. LOL. Get back on the meds dude. wink.gif

Just because Samsungs method of creating OLED TV's is not successful for mass production, doesn't mean that OLED is dying. I'm laughing at LCD lovers right now, while typing on my LG OLED! biggrin.gif Yields have gone up, and prices have plummeted on the LG, and it's a real product and the future of OLED looks great with printing methods that should make it even more affordable in the near future? (2 years) Right now you can buy a 55" LG OLED for 4000.00! This is not some BS vapourware like SED was. Yes, I'm not fond of LCD TVs either, but I wouldn't say they are crap.
tubby497 likes this.
post #58 of 59 Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Pray for OLED.

Pray for an end to the CURVED curse.

Pray for the Chinese to produce OLED and be competitors to LG so the price will come down faster.

LCD should be against the law.

Give me non LCD or give me death!
herpderp and Chris5028 like this.
post #59 of 59 Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Pray for OLED.

Pray for an end to the CURVED curse.

Pray for the Chinese to produce OLED and be competitors to LG so the price will come down faster.

LCD should be against the law.

Give me non LCD or give me death!

I have always thought that Artwood was like one of those old prophets crying out in the wilderness and now we have proof. smile.gif
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Marvels The Avengers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page