Poll: When will curved TVs die off? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When is the LAST year that curved TVs for the home will be offered? Or will it always be with us?
Always offered. They are here to stay as long as a technology like OLED is around that can support it. 15 21.13%
2013 11 15.49%
2014 22 30.99%
2015 13 18.31%
2016 5 7.04%
(Some later year) 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 82 Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 669

Just a silly little poll.  Do the recent curved TVs (OLED's) have staying power as a concept?

A good number of AVSers seem fairly convinced that the idea is founded in stupidity.

What's the last year they will be offered?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I think it's founded in a strange kind of venality, compounded with man-parts measuring, compounded with stupidity.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3 of 82 Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I think it's founded in a strange kind of venality, compounded with man-parts measuring, compounded with stupidity.

You mean it sounds like it has staying power?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #4 of 82 Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I think the curved screens will likely stick around but move to larger sizes where they make more sense. I wouldn't mind someday replacing my front projection screen with that kind of setup. There is a reason curved screens have been used in theaters for decades.
post #5 of 82 Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

There is a reason curved screens have been used in theaters for decades.
And that's to compensate for lens' geometric (pincushion) distortions. And also to compensate for the brightness loss in corners on CRT projectors.
post #6 of 82 Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

You mean it sounds like it has staying power?

No

Quote:

I think the curved screens will likely stick around but move to larger sizes where they make more sense. I wouldn't mind someday replacing my front projection screen with that kind of setup. There is a reason curved screens have been used in theaters for decades.

It would be better in big sizes, but it gets much harder to manufacture in larger sizes, so I think it's even less likely in those. The box size gets larger very fast. The processing steps get a lot harder to handle. The one intriguing thing is that the closer to one-per-substrate, the less important it is that you can really mass produce these. The part where you try to make 8, 55" screens on an 8G sheet that are curved is inherently going to cost a fortune compared to making flat ones...

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #7 of 82 Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I must have missed all the clamor of complaints from millions of HDTV owners about how much they hated that their TV panels were just too flat!

It reminds me of something out of Spinal Tap. "These go to eleven".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY
post #8 of 82 Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The current distribution of this poll is interesting to me.  8/10 think this thing is a goner before 2017.  6/10 think that after next year it's dead.  2/10 think it's here to stay.

post #9 of 82 Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem with this poll is that most people responding have never even seen a curved screen. They are jumping to conclusion based on prejudice. I've only seen them in a projection setup and find there are definite advantages. For TV usage, I'm unsure until I test one. If nothing else, a curved screen would let you fit a larger panel in the same width space while losing some depth. I will agree 100% that it's the wrong form factor to launch with.
post #10 of 82 Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem with this poll is that most people responding have never even seen a curved screen.

That's not a "problem" with the poll at all.  The goal of a poll is to get a read on what people think (biased, prejudiced, learned, or whatever).  I'm really interested in posting another poll slightly later "For those who have seen one: will it die off, and when?"

rogo likes this.

post #11 of 82 Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting.  57% of the poll takers are convinced that curved TVs have their final days by 2014.

I always wonder what threads the manufacturers pay attention to (if any).  Not the silly polls like this one of course, but they might learn something from the conversations in AVS.

post #12 of 82 Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When I first heard about curved, I thought it means drastically curved where you could sit near it and something be all around you. I don't see what in the world the point is to having some gentle curve to it. How could anything look realistic? (eh, I misworded that, but I still meant steeper curve is what I thought, although how that could have been useful I don't know either).
post #13 of 82 Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

When I first heard about curved, I thought it means drastically curved where you could sit near it and something be all around you. I don't see what in the world the point is to having some gentle curve to it. How could anything look realistic? (eh, I misworded that, but I still meant steeper curve is what I thought, although how that could have been useful I don't know either).

(Nail head) --> Sound of you hitting nail head --> Win.

post #14 of 82 Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If the market supported it, why not? Now it isn´t impossible to sell too big smartphones for jeans pockets? There was a time all people wanted the smallest and lightest mobile phone and now?
post #15 of 82 Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Cant really vote since i have never sat in front of one.When I was a child my family used to go every year to the Cinerama theater in Boston and that was a huge curved screen and very effective.OLEd screens over 60 inches might benefit from this curve if viewed close in a small room.

Matt
post #16 of 82 Old 08-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 22
Speaking of smallness... I tried to sell someone my Sony hx929 when he was over here visiting and he said he was tempted to buy it because of how thin it is and I was like ummm you haven't looked at the picture on it. He apparently had no desire to see the picture, just the thinness. lol
post #17 of 82 Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

The current distribution of this poll is interesting to me.  8/10 think this thing is a goner before 2017.  6/10 think that after next year it's dead.  2/10 think it's here to stay.

Your numbers don't add up.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #18 of 82 Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Quote:

Your numbers don't add up.

You understand of course that the number of total posts INCREASES over time???????  My use of "Current" is of course glued to the point when my post was made (10 votes).  My numbers were spot on.  Unless of course you're not reading what I wrote in the first place: The ranges I was listing were clearing overlapping.

post #19 of 82 Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Speaking of smallness... I tried to sell someone my Sony hx929 when he was over here visiting and he said he was tempted to buy it because of how thin it is and I was like ummm you haven't looked at the picture on it. He apparently had no desire to see the picture, just the thinness. lol

I sell tvs. Your visitor is like a disturbingly large percentage of our customers.

Steve S.
post #20 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

And that's to compensate for lens' geometric (pincushion) distortions. And also to compensate for the brightness loss in corners on CRT projectors.
And improves the viewing angle for people in the far side and corner seats.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #21 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 332
something to consider:

my guess is these panels started out as flat and at some point the panel manufacturers decided it would be better curved: after all that is one thing you can do with relative ease with OLED panels: not so with LCD or plasma (and CRT's have a curve too)

So there has to be a reason they curved them: perhaps they will be more widely accepted: until they get into the marketplace and we have some feedback, who knows? there is no flat 55 OLED to compare them to... just saying it is something to consider...
post #22 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

something to consider:

my guess is these panels started out as flat and at some point the panel manufacturers decided it would be better curved: after all that is one thing you can do with relative ease with OLED panels: not so with LCD or plasma (and CRT's have a curve too)

So there has to be a reason they curved them: perhaps they will be more widely accepted: until they get into the marketplace and we have some feedback, who knows? there is no flat 55 OLED to compare them to... just saying it is something to consider...

According to this video from LG, they set out to design a curved display to make a new stylish fashion statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f9C3nNmMig

Of course, since it is LG telling the tale, it probably is just more of their usual bovine manure.
post #23 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Never? I'm hoping Sony makes "retro" Trinitron EL displays eventually. Imagine a convex 4:3 OLED panel in a 90s CRT case! biggrin.giftongue.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/617969/antique-sony-kp-5000-help
fbc01af5_vbattach48084.jpeg
wink.gif
post #24 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think we're all sort of assuming the curve is there strictly for artistic reasons. You make a good point. Without seeing the flat version next to the curved one of the exact same model we can't be sure what was gained/lost by this decision. I think Robert from VE stated that they had the opportunity to do such a comparison and people preferred the curved one. I for one, need to see it in person before declaring it a total showstopper for a potential purchase.

They really should have left the decision to the customer by offering both - instead they are trying to create a curved market by force.
post #25 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I think we're all sort of assuming the curve is there strictly for artistic reasons. You make a good point. Without seeing the flat version next to the curved one of the exact same model we can't be sure what was gained/lost by this decision. I think Robert from VE stated that they had the opportunity to do such a comparison and people preferred the curved one. I for one, need to see it in person before declaring it a total showstopper for a potential purchase.

They really should have left the decision to the customer by offering both - instead they are trying to create a curved market by force.

They could make the bezel and chassis out of rubber....

post #26 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They could make the bezel and chassis out of rubber....

When people are focusing more on the curved panel innovation than on the merits of the supposedly revolutionary OLED display qualities, that is not really a very good distraction to be thrown at potential customers. They are violating the KISS principle.

It reminds me of the old joke about the guy who won an Olympic Gold Medal, and his mother was so delighted with his accomplishment, that she tried to draw more attention to it by having his Gold Medal Bronzed!
post #27 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LG is saying that they designed their curved set for Artistic Reasons. Watch.

The designer who said she came up with the concept, even says that she met with a lot of resistance at first from those who said it could not be done.
post #28 of 82 Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

something to consider:

The reason is to stand out in a store full of flat panels. It's not because they wanted TVs with smaller sweet spots. Or because they wanted TVs you can't wall mount. Or TVs that require a deeper credenza. It's because they planned on charging a fortune and they wanted them to stand out. I wish there was some grand plan, but there isn't.

And if one company hadn't done it, the other would not have done it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

According to this video from LG, they set out to design a curved display to make a new stylish fashion statement.

Of course, since it is LG telling the tale, it probably is just more of their usual bovine manure.

Yes, cow pies sounds about right.
Quote:

Making two early would've been even worse. Design is about making choices.
Quote:

When people are focusing more on the curved panel innovation than on the merits of the supposedly revolutionary OLED display qualities, that is not really a very good distraction to be thrown at potential customers. They are violating the KISS principle.

You're kind of on a roll lately with good observations.

post #29 of 82 Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LG is saying that they designed their curved set for Artistic Reasons. Watch.

The designer who said she came up with the concept, even says that she met with a lot of resistance at first from those who said it could not be done.

Good grief.  Of COURSE a bored artist is going to want to design something different from everyone else.  All architects dream of building the structure that makes a bold statement.  This idea is so ridiculous that I'm now scared to death of seeing it and actually liking the thing.

post #30 of 82 Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good grief.  Of COURSE a bored artist is going to want to design something different from everyone else.  All architects dream of building the structure that makes a bold statement.  This idea is so ridiculous that I'm now scared to death of seeing it and actually liking the thing.

Louis Sullivan, the great Chicago Architect, laid down the principle that Form should follow Function, and not the other way around. Lately we have seen TV panel designers putting the cart before the horse. This LG design lady did just that. She drew up a curved housing design, and then required the tech engineers to come up with technology that would work in it. Never mind if it made practical marketing sense or not. Being Avant-Garde is all that mattered. Something that John Lennon once observed is French for BS.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page