3D tv to a non-3D pass through receiver... Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't sure where to throw this question... I have a new Samsung 3D tv (UN55F6400) and an older Denon receiver (AVR-590). I want to get the 3D through to the TV and the lossless audio to the receiver. Is that possible? I have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 that I would like to have both connected. If the TV had an HDMI out to pass through the audio, I think this would have been easy setup, but it only has an optical out. Does a cable exist that splits an HDMI cable into two ends, one for audio and one for video? I could just go and buy a new receiver (which I'm edging towards the AVR-1913), but my current one is just fine, so if I can still use it, I'd rather do that. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 227
You can't split the audio from the video on an HDMI cable. By getting "3D through to the tv" are you referring to a 3D blu-ray movie? You're not clear on the 3D source (unless the Xbox and/or the PS3 is blu-ray. I don't have either one so I don't know). If you have a 3D BD player and want to watch 3D on your new Samsung, then you need to run the BD player thru a 3D-capable receiver and on to the tv via a high speed HDMI cable. The receiver should have the ability to decode the lossless formats (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc) and play them back. Just turn the tv's speakers off and use the speakers connected to the receiver (I'm assuming you have a 3.1 or 5,1 system). The optical out can only handle stereo or 5.1. It can not pass lossless audio. HDMI connections on tv's are inputs only. The only way to get audio back from the tv is if the tv is ARC capable, and the receiver is ARC capable as well.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

I was hoping to avoid buying a new receiver, but it sounds like there isn't any way around it. I guess I'll just stick with 2D until I can get the receiver.

I can play 3D Blu-Rays through the PS3 and 3D Games through both the PS3 and 360.

Thanks for the help!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Just make sure that the receiver you buy has enough HDMI inputs for all of your needs. Most have at least 3 or 4 inputs and one output so that should work for you but it never hurts to check.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I would try it out and see if it works before buying a new receiver.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReximusPrime View Post

I was hoping to avoid buying a new receiver, but it sounds like there isn't any way around it. I guess I'll just stick with 2D until I can get the receiver.

I can play 3D Blu-Rays through the PS3 and 3D Games through both the PS3 and 360.

Thanks for the help!

No help on the games, but for blu-rays, you could get a dual-hdmi player. My Onkyo BD-SP809 has two HDMI outs, one to my non-3D receiver and the other to my 3D TV.

BTW, good choice on the TV. Have the same model myself. smile.gif

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Just run HDMI from blu-ray player to TV and optical wire from blu-ray player to AVR. You'll only get 5.1 but you'll get 3D. And 5.1 isn't so bad.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

@Tulpa - I originally bought an LG 6400 and promptly returned it... Then bought the Samsung. I am much happier with this one. I could pick up a separate 3D blu-ray player, but I'm already planning on buying an Xbox One, later this year, which should also work as a 3D blu-ray player.

@Andy Sullivan - I guess, I figure that if I need to make a concession (for the time being) of whether I want 3D or HD audio... I'll go with the audio.

How about a box that splits the signal to two outputs? Kinda like a switch box but the opposite direction, and it doesn't switch. I see some things on Monoprice, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it.

Thanks everyone!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I'm actually in the same boat as your are with my Yamaha 663. But I still enjoy great 5.1 HD audio with my Yamaha while enjoying a 3D movie.. I can certainly appreciate the better sound when watching blu-rays but I can live without it at the expense of spending upwards of $400 for a new AVR just to handle 3D . You'll still get the better sound when watching regular blu-rays. You'll just have to live with 5.1 when watching 3D. I wouldn't give up 3D while waiting to afford a new AVR just for a minor sound upgrade.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Samsung Un65f6400 65 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page