Is this an example of black crush? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-31-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I used to think my 2007 Sony KDL40V2500 looked great, but now when I actually see it side by side with a newer Samsung set. I notice that I have probably been watching crushed blacks the entire time.

I have calibrated the tv with test patterns, but it seems like it is not capable of getting more detail in blacks. The black just gets more gray as you turn the brightness up. The thing is, the Sony has more vivid and bright colors than the samsung.

Here is a pic I took of Dark Knight Rises from both tv's.

Sony: http://i.imgur.com/QWTvXGm.jpg

Samsung: http://i.imgur.com/KccsBFS.jpg

I'm assuming you are supposed to see all the detail like the samsung shows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Change the dynamic range on the tv and see if that fixes it.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I don't remember the old Sony models being that bad. Here's a grab of that frame from the disc if anyone wants it for reference. (well, the closest keyframe I could find)
It looks to me like both sets have not been configured properly - the Sony is crushing shadow details, and it looks like gamma is too low on the Samsung. I don't know if it applies to your model, but I seem to remember having to reduce the Samsung gamma control to -2 to avoid over-emphasizing shadow details and reducing mid-tone contrast.

With your 40V2500, I would suggest going into the picture controls and using:
Picture Mode: Custom
Either reset the picture controls, or set Contrast to 90. (which I think should be the default) Unless it's actually clipping, which is unlikely, you probably shouldn't need to adjust that.

Go to the advanced section and check that: Black Corrector, Adv. Contrast Enhancer, Clear White, Live Color, and MPEG Noise Reduction are all disabled.
Set Color Space to Normal. (Wide is oversaturated)

I think with those Sony sets, Sharpness should be at 0, and Color/Hue should be at the defaults. If you have a calibration disc, you are probably best using that to check for ringing/softening of the picture. (or turn on subtitles and look at the edges of the text) Using a blue filter to set color doesn't work well with flat panels.
I think color temperature should be set to Warm 1.

Now go to that scene again, and view your television from the side - this makes it easier to see changes in the panel's black level.
Select the brightness control and adjust it up and down while looking at the black bars. You will see that there is a point at which the black level stops getting any darker, even though you can continue to reduce the brightness setting.
You want the brightness control at the point where +1 will make the black bars brighter, and -1 will not get any darker than it currently is. This is usually somewhere near 50.

Hopefully now you won't have crushed shadow details any more.
If there still appears to be crushed details (it shouldn't necessarily look the same as the Samsung set, just not large areas that are pure black) you can go into the advanced menu and adjust the gamma control.
After adjusting it, you may need to check your brightness setting again.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 40v2500 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page