Advice- To buy a Smart TV or Not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need to benefit from people in the know. First of all, I'm on a budget.
What I really want to achieve is a nice picture in a LCD probably(not positive) and to be able to
stream videos from my desktop computer to the TV. I live in a studio so it's not too far from the TV.
I don't have Wi-Fi but could get it. It appears that it's mostly Smart TVs that have built in WiFi.
Do I need it? I know that I could just run a physical line to the TV but thought I might set myself wirelessly for the future.

Compelling reason to get a Smart TV?

Thanks Folks

Shadecat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Smart tv IMHO refers to internet capability. As browsers most suck as far as I know, I don't bother with mine (Samsung PN59D8000). Some internet apps are nice to have like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc Depends what else you use for streaming and what your pq/sq preferences are as well. If your router is close to the set there's nothing wrong with wired vs wireless, usually the former if anything has advantages.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 227
^^^^ I agree. It all depends on what you want and how you intend to use your tv. I purposely bought a "dumb" tv because I have an AppleTV2 and a Panasonic BD player that has bulit-in WiFi/ethernet. Streaming from the laptop is seamless so why buy into a locked system that, at this point in time, is no where near as robust as external systems. Read around here and you'll see all kinds of problems when folks update their SmartTVs. I'd rather spend extra money on extended options for calibration etc than the ability to use my tv to surf the internet. Besides, if your SmartTV function fails, then you've lost your tv during the repair period. OTOH, if your external inet capable devices fail or need repaired, you've still got your tv. Personal preference is the answer. Wireless is great but hard-wired is where it's at.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
The best rated TVs for PQ just so happen to have smartTV functionality (and yes, typically reflected in the price), though I don't know how typically that applies to LCD.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Buy a display for it's picture quality, that is what it's for, all else is just crappy topping. Buy a display to watch, buy a streamer to stream content -- simple as that.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply Otto.
As to the statement that when the "Smart TV function fails" you've lost your TV.
Can you elaborate on that? If a TV that I buy is a Smart TV, does how does the way I use it/set it up leave me without a set if the "function" fails?

Thanks

Shadecat
post #7 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Dumb TV + Western Digital Live = Smart TV. ($100 or $200 with hard drive)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Buy a display for its picture quality. Smart features played absolutely no role in my decision, but the TV happens to have it anyway. I'll admit, it's very convenient to have Netflix built in, but I also have an HDMI running from the PC to the AVR for viewing BDs and playing PC games or whatever else.

Depending on your budget, you may want to go with a plasma instead for the good PQ, and you'll have the smart features anyway.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadecat View Post

Thanks for the reply Otto.
As to the statement that when the "Smart TV function fails" you've lost your TV.
Can you elaborate on that? If a TV that I buy is a Smart TV, does how does the way I use it/set it up leave me without a set if the "function" fails?

Thanks

Shadecat

Yeah, that needs a little clarification. If your SmartTV function develops issues or craps out altogether then obviously you can't use that feature and you'll miss it. The only option available to you is to get it fixed. If you have in-home service it probably can be fixed at home. If not, off to the shop it goes. Hence losing your tv. I definitely could have worded the original statement better.

As to the comment about better pq rated tv's being Smart, I don't think the Smart feature has anything to do with the pq at all. The tv's are probably 3D, as well as Smart, and I think the panels on those tv's may be better due to the requirements for 3D.

It seems that almost all of the new mid-level and above tv's are Smart so it's hard to get away from that. I bought a nice little Samsung for my son to take to graduate school (EH5300) and he doesn't even bother with the SmartTV aspect.

MattL is correct. Shop and buy a tv for the pq, not the fluff. Unfortunately, you'll be paying for the fluff because that's how they are marketing tv's nowadays but if you don't get hung up on that angle and just concentrate on pq (calibration options, etc) you can't go wrong. There are too many external devices that are much better than what's built-in to the tv that almost makes SmartTVs irrelevant. However, SmartTVs do have their place if you are looking for something that can be hung on a wall (uncluttered with cables etc) that is more of an elegant room design feature than anything else. Personal preference fer sure.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Not sure how you got that from my comment, but I never implied there was a causal relationship between SmartTV functionality and better PQ, but the best rated PQ panels of 2013 simply have it as an add-on, and having a "dumb TV" prerequisite when shopping will keep you from even considering the biggest contenders in PQ.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The way you worded your statement lead me to that interpretation. My mistake. As I mentioned, it's difficult to find a mid-level and above tv nowadays that isn't Smart (LCD,LED, Plasma). Obviously the higher up the model line you go the pq, in theory, should be better. I think the point here is that don't use SmartTV functionality as a purchasing decision alone. PQ should always be the top priority.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Exactly.wink.gif I only mentioned that in passing since the OP would be evading the best TVs of the year in terms of PQ if he actively avoided TVs with SmartTV hubs.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Samsung Pn59d8000 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn59d8000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page