Newbie LCD vs Plasma (50ps64 Costco) gaming, sunroom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi
I was drawn to this plasma 50ps64 with AR since it isn't huge for our brightish sunroom, the kids sit on the floor looking up at the tv stand .. About 4 feet away, pretty close.

I'm replacing a wega kv36hs510 that I couldn't fix with the 7 blink tutorials changing the IC chips.

Anyway.... Kids play halo a lot, the tv is in a sunroom with shades, but still can be fairly bright. The viewing from the seating area is at a 30degree angle or so. Initially I thought plasma (off angle viewing from floor or couch, gaming-fast motion).

However in Costco (bright lights- I know) the plasma seemed VERY dark compared to the LCDs. I also worry about plasma IR as well as brightness. Maybe a better LCD is the route to go??

The viewing angles in the store didn't seem to lose much clarity from the LCDs, no burn in issues and can be overly bright if needed.

Any expert thoughts for this troublesome room? Bright, fast action gaming-possible IR, and off angle viewing. Looking for 44-50" to compare with height of 4:3 of Wega... Under a grand....

Thanks for any thoughts, and sorry for being such a noob (wish the wega still worked)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

My Costco had only 3 left so I need to make a decision on this soon.... How big are my concerns of IR. and a bright room?

Thanks
post #3 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The sunroom use case definitely leans towards LCD over plasma. Also, if you're concerned about reduced motion blur, many newer LCD HDTV's have solved the motion blur problem. You can now get very good gaming-friendly LCD's such as the Sony KDL-55W802A, using its Game Mode Motionflow Impulse mode for its low-lag interpolation-free plasma-like gaming capabilities. Even without a strobe backlight, modern LCD HDTV's now have less motion blur than they used to just five years ago, though one may want to look at the new Game Mode strobe backlights found in certain new TV's.

If most of the gaming is done at night, get one of the brighter plasmas. Generally, I'd definitely probably steer away from anything that looks dim under Costco lighting, since that's an excellent daytime sunroom test case.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #4 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm looking for a high end LCD to combat its difficiencies...
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Panasonic Tc 50ps64 50 Inch Plasma
Gear in this thread - 50ps64 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page