Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 524 Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys, I have a question…I noticed that one of the screws on the back of my OLED TV panel popped loose last week, and I'm desperately trying to get a replacement from Samsung. Incredibly, NO ONE there knows what I'm talking about! mad.gif If you look at the back panel of the TV, the backplate that attaches to the panel is attached using 10 screws (5 each on both the right and left sides of the TV). One of those screws is missing and as a result, there is a gap between the smooth backplate of the TV and the panel itself. I spoke with one of the Samsung Parts reps after the main CS people referred me there and she assured me she could send me the right screws. After spending $20 on 5 little screws (I ordered some extra in case I needed them), they sent me the WRONG screws! I've spent the last few hours trying to explain to both the Samsung and Samsung Parts customer service people what I need, and no one can help me. I'm incredibly annoyed at this point and I don't know what to do.

Do any of you guys know the part number for what I need? Or do you know the screw measurements so maybe I can just go to Home Depot and get a replacement there? I'd appreciate any help!

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
post #453 of 524 Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

Guys, I have a question…I noticed that one of the screws on the back of my OLED TV panel popped loose last week, and I'm desperately trying to get a replacement from Samsung. Incredibly, NO ONE there knows what I'm talking about! mad.gif If you look at the back panel of the TV, the backplate that attaches to the panel is attached using 10 screws (5 each on both the right and left sides of the TV). One of those screws is missing and as a result, there is a gap between the smooth backplate of the TV and the panel itself. I spoke with one of the Samsung Parts reps after the main CS people referred me there and she assured me she could send me the right screws. After spending $20 on 5 little screws (I ordered some extra in case I needed them), they sent me the WRONG screws! I've spent the last few hours trying to explain to both the Samsung and Samsung Parts customer service people what I need, and no one can help me. I'm incredibly annoyed at this point and I don't know what to do.

Do any of you guys know the part number for what I need? Or do you know the screw measurements so maybe I can just go to Home Depot and get a replacement there? I'd appreciate any help!

Can you pull another screw out safely?  If so, bring it with you and try to match it, preferably by finding the nut that accompanies it (if it's a machine screw).

It's almost certainly metric.

Be aware too that many mini screws that look like philips head are actually JIS (a "cross-head" screw).  This is usually a Japanese thing though.

And finally, before driving in a foreign screw, counter turn it with gentle pressure until you feel the >click< of the threads seating and then g e n t l y clock-wise it into place.  You don't want to cross-thread this stuff.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #454 of 524 Old 04-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

I actually thought about doing that, but I'm REALLY nervous about doing so. As it is, there's a decent gap between that backplate and the panel, so it would be easy for dust and dirt to get back there and mess something up. So I'd prefer to not remove another screw and possibly mess up the backplate even more. I just got off the phone with Samsung again and they STILL can't figure it out! I'm very annoyed…it seems like I'll have to use some packing tape to shut this gap, which is a really ghetto solution! eek.gif I just don't know what else to do...

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #455 of 524 Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually thought about doing that, but I'm REALLY nervous about doing so. As it is, there's a decent gap between that backplate and the panel, so it would be easy for dust and dirt to get back there and mess something up. So I'd prefer to not remove another screw and possibly mess up the backplate even more. I just got off the phone with Samsung again and they STILL can't figure it out! I'm very annoyed…it seems like I'll have to use some packing tape to shut this gap, which is a really ghetto solution! eek.gif I just don't know what else to do...

Can you take a picture of the back, and circle the location using a graphics editor and email it to them?  I've done similar things before with tech supports for various companies.

Where exactly is the screw?  You're talking about the KN55S9C right?

http://content.abt.com/image.php/8_KN55S9.jpg?image=/images/products/BDP_Images/8_KN55S9.jpg&canvas=1&quality=100&min_w=450&min_h=320&ck=309 

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #456 of 524 Old 04-22-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Huh.  I wonder if that's a marketing photo.  Here's one showing the screws you're talking about:

post #457 of 524 Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for that pic, tgm...as you can see in the pic, there are 5 screws on the edge of the right side on tbe back of the panel (and there are also 5 screws on the left edge as well). One of these 5 screws popped off somehow and I'm trying to get a replacement from Samsung. In fact, I had even e-mailed them a pic of the back panel so they could see what I'm talking about, but they couldn't figure out what I needed. It's been very frustrating!

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #458 of 524 Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

One of these 5 screws popped off somehow

Poor OLED tv
It wants to be flat again wink.gif
post #459 of 524 Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

Quote:

One of these 5 screws popped off somehow

Poor OLED tv
It wants to be flat again wink.gif

LOL

post #460 of 524 Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Thanks for that pic, tgm...as you can see in the pic, there are 5 screws on the edge of the right side on tbe back of the panel (and there are also 5 screws on the left edge as well). One of these 5 screws popped off somehow and I'm trying to get a replacement from Samsung. In fact, I had even e-mailed them a pic of the back panel so they could see what I'm talking about, but they couldn't figure out what I needed. It's been very frustrating!

Before going any further, you might want to remove one of the remaining screws and see if it will screw in OK into the hole for the one that popped out, just to make sure that the thread in the hole is not stripped.smile.gif
post #461 of 524 Old 04-23-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Quote:

Before going any further, you might want to remove one of the remaining screws and see if it will screw in OK into the hole for the one that popped out, just to make sure that the thread in the hole is not stripped.smile.gif

Yes.  And PULEEEEZ counter turn it first.  (Press gently counter-clockwise until you feel/hear it seat).  Also, check the head of the thing.

Which of these is it?

post #462 of 524 Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good idea...I'll just have to be VERY careful in removing another screw in case I strip that one. :/ And tgm, I believe the screw is a JIS as reflected in your pic. I am also waiting to hear back from the Samsung parts people, so hopefully they can get me this screw! Thanks again for the help, guys.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #463 of 524 Old 04-24-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Good idea...I'll just have to be VERY careful in removing another screw in case I strip that one. :/ And tgm, I believe the screw is a JIS as reflected in your pic. I am also waiting to hear back from the Samsung parts people, so hopefully they can get me this screw! Thanks again for the help, guys.

You can use a phillips on a JIS, but only if you're not torquing it too much.  Be careful....the shape is different as it descends into the slot.  Even a flat head's taper isn't quite right.  Just don't go nuts with it.

post #464 of 524 Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the advice, that makes good sense. I will try and call Samsung again later today and see if I can get some luck getting SOMEONE who can help me. I will only remove another screw as a measure of last resort since I don't want to possibly cause any more damage!

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #465 of 524 Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, that makes good sense. I will try and call Samsung again later today and see if I can get some luck getting SOMEONE who can help me. I will only remove another screw as a measure of last resort since I don't want to possibly cause any more damage!

Especially if it voids a warranty.  Question to others: if he calls his warranty folks....can he clear this with them first?

When my kids playset was swaying, I called Creative Playthings with a modification I was doing to get their "ok" on it.  The warranty was over, but I wanted to be on record as getting their approval to be safe "legally".

post #466 of 524 Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quick update...Samsung Parts FINALLY located the right screws (or so they claim) and they're going to send them to me...eventually. They claim that the screws are on "back order," so I won't get them until 1-2 months from now! frown.gif Better late than never I guess...I just have to hope that nothing gets in that gap between the backplate and the TV panel until then. I also have to send them back the wrong screws for a refund. Tgm, I appreciate your help, man!

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #467 of 524 Old 04-25-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick update...Samsung Parts FINALLY located the right screws (or so they claim) and they're going to send them to me...eventually. They claim that the screws are on "back order," so I won't get them until 1-2 months from now! frown.gif Better late than never I guess...I just have to hope that nothing gets in that gap between the backplate and the TV panel until then. I also have to send them back the wrong screws for a refund. Tgm, I appreciate your help, man!

Hey glad I could help.  >phew< by the way.  When a company can't even figure out how to locate (let alone replace) the screws on their own product, things are ...... spooky.  Not exactly a way to earn your confidence.  Here's hoping they don't send you a few of these by accident:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4081/5414945411_a449e1c484.jpg:)

post #468 of 524 Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

LOL! biggrin.gif Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent me that screw...and that was exactly my thought as well! It's ludicrous that I've had to go through all this trouble and that I know more about a product than its own manufacturer. O_o How is it possible that they had no clue what I was talking about?! This is very disconcerting. Hopefully all will be right in the end and this TV will give me many years of enjoyment until OLED becomes cheap and reliable at 4k (or 8k several years down the road).

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #469 of 524 Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL! biggrin.gif Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent me that screw...and that was exactly my thought as well! It's ludicrous that I've had to go through all this trouble and that I know more about a product than its own manufacturer. O_o How is it possible that they had no clue what I was talking about?! This is very disconcerting. Hopefully all will be right in the end and this TV will give me many years of enjoyment until OLED becomes cheap and reliable at 4k (or 8k several years down the road).

In their defense, it's a discontinued item that they knew they could never sell in volume anyway.  Everything about it sounds like a rushed-to-show prototype.

post #470 of 524 Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

In their defense, it's a discontinued item that they knew they could never sell in volume anyway.  Everything about it sounds like a rushed-to-show prototype.

Still, far fewer problems compared to WRGB. I've had zero pixels die on me or get stuck and no IR issues after 6 months.
post #471 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Uk Avforum Samsung Oled owner had a few die on him cool.gif
post #472 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

right now his OLED seems to be in good shape smile.gif
http://www.avforums.com/members/custodian.130038/
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality
post #473 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Yes as he returned it after 2 broke down on him tongue.gif
post #474 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Liked: 16
I just got done speaking with "Samsung Elite support" and they didn't seem to even know this TV existed less yet answer any of questions. All I wanted to do was get dynamic contrast disabled completely (even with it set to off it is still being applied enough to annoy me). They remote connected to my TV and made sure all the settings were right. I pretty much had to explain to him what dynamic contrast was and how it works.

In the end they wanted to send a technician out to "change my settings". I'm 99% sure that would be pointless unless they know how to enter the service menu. For that matter, why would and OLED TV even have a dynamic contrast option. Wouldn't it not be needed as the pixels can go all the way off individually?

Does anybody have any idea on how to enter the service menu and whether or not it voids the warranty?
post #475 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Disclaimer: continue at your own risk.

To enter the service menu: POWER OFF > Mute > 182 > Power

To unlock picture modes and make adjustments, go to: SVC > Expert > N/D Adjust > On > Power Off > Power On

To lock picture modes, go to: SVC > Expert > N/D > Fix > Power Off > Power On
post #476 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post

I just got done speaking with "Samsung Elite support" and they didn't seem to even know this TV existed less yet answer any of questions. All I wanted to do was get dynamic contrast disabled completely (even with it set to off it is still being applied enough to annoy me). They remote connected to my TV and made sure all the settings were right. I pretty much had to explain to him what dynamic contrast was and how it works.

In the end they wanted to send a technician out to "change my settings". I'm 99% sure that would be pointless unless they know how to enter the service menu. For that matter, why would and OLED TV even have a dynamic contrast option. Wouldn't it not be needed as the pixels can go all the way off individually?

Does anybody have any idea on how to enter the service menu and whether or not it voids the warranty?

I would stay out of there on such an expensive display.

But if you insist....video record it. You'd be surprised how wrong things get changed.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #477 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

The only pixel failure that we've heard of: the Samsung engineers must know what they're doing.

It will be interesting if they come back (and they will) with something other than RGB method.
post #478 of 524 Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

There a tread of a Korean owner who had dead ones as well and he discoverd Samsung hasn't any spare oled panels to replace any. He got refunded his money of the tv as well.
post #479 of 524 Old 04-28-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern 
Yes and he returned it after 2 broke down on him tongue.gif
My post was about his signature in which he mentioned Samsung OLED. So it seems that right now he owns a Samsung OLED.

you will find his signature in information
http://www.avforums.com/members/custodian.130038/
post #480 of 524 Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Not exactly a disaster there, Vak. Hopefully LG and Samsung are both learning how to make OLED less susceptible to pixel failure.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page