Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
First ... 15  16  17 18  19  ... Last
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread
vaktmestern's Avatar vaktmestern 05:56 AM 04-28-2014
Its returned he had 2 that was showing faults n got refunded his money from John Lewis

8mile13's Avatar 8mile13 06:27 AM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern 
Its returned he had 2 that was showing faults n got refunded his money from John Lewis
Right, he returned those two in 2013. He is still active on the Forum right now, today, April 2014. And has Samsung OLED in his signature. Are you saying that He has stuff in his signature that he sold half a year ago? Are you shure about that?
vaktmestern's Avatar vaktmestern 06:37 AM 04-28-2014
Yes he waiting for the tech to mature, he has one of the Sony 11" oleds still.
phreaky_d's Avatar phreaky_d 07:59 AM 04-28-2014
So far I don't have any dead pixels (from what I can tell), but I'm also not actively seeking them out...ignorance is bliss! biggrin.gif But I'm REALLY praying that nothing goes wrong with this TV outside of my screw issue. If so, I'm truly screwed until OLED matures (if ever). I've been running some Samsung demo material on the TV, and it looks really good! The Samsung OLED demo material is pretty awesome and shows off the contrast highlights nicely. Especially the scene where the light bulbs light up...I can't see hardly any blooming at all, just very nice contrast between the lights and surrounding blackness. I finally ran some 3D yesterday and popped in my Samsung 3D demo disc. There was a very little bit of crosstalk, but I REALLY had to look for it as it was barely noticeable. 3D is pretty beast on this thing. I'm happy!
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13 08:32 AM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Yes he waiting for the tech to mature, he has one of the Sony 11" oleds still.

So he returned two Samsung OLEDs, don't own them anymore. But he still pretends he owns one in his signature. Probably some sort of bragging.

So what does he own? A Samsung Edge-Lit LED? tongue.gif
vaktmestern's Avatar vaktmestern 12:34 PM 04-28-2014
That i dont know cool.gif ask him urself...
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 10:51 PM 04-29-2014
FYI, it's listed for sale on Best Buy web site again. Maybe reports of its demise were exaggerated? Still no price cut to match LG.
Pres2play's Avatar Pres2play 11:31 PM 04-29-2014
Talk about causing confusion...what in the world is going on.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 12:20 AM 04-30-2014
Oddly, it's from a 3rd party marketplace member (Buy.com er Rakuten). Seems like a fluke more than bonafide evidence that it's still in production.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 01:10 PM 05-05-2014
WOW all kinds of news today.......... Posted by lgroveman

Samsung scraps plan for new OLED tv plant, Nikkei says

Samsung (SSNLF), concerned about the inefficiency of organic light emitting diode, or OLED, panel production and price competition in the TV market, has scrapped its plans for a new OLED television panel facility, according to the Nikkei Asian Review. Universal Display (OLED) is engaged in the research, development and commercialization of OLED technology

Click Here
phreaky_d's Avatar phreaky_d 02:48 PM 05-05-2014
Wow, that REALLY sucks! frown.gif It certainly does appear like the KN55S9C is going to be the Holy Grail of TVs and extremely rare. Sounds like LG will be the sole provider of OLEDs for quite a while.
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 03:26 PM 05-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

Wow, that REALLY sucks! frown.gif It certainly does appear like the KN55S9C is going to be the Holy Grail of TVs and extremely rare. Sounds like LG will be the sole provider of OLEDs for quite a while.

Why oh why couldn't Sony have found a way to produce Crystal LED cost effectively....

Artwood's Avatar Artwood 03:43 AM 05-06-2014
tgm1024--with OLED seemingly failing we are moving closer and closer to an LCD only world. Doesn't that make you happy?
Desk.'s Avatar Desk. 05:35 AM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

tgm1024--with OLED seemingly failing we are moving closer and closer to an LCD only world. Doesn't that make you happy?
Who says it's failing?

Samsung were unable to produce a commercially viable panel using their approach, but LG don't show any signs of slowing down as they prepare to launch four new OLED sets this year while signing deals to provide panels to other manufacturers including (reportedly) Sony and Panasonic for their own-brand versions.

Meanwhile, the price of their existing product has fallen to almost a third of what it cost when it first came out in September. Personally, I never dreamed we'd see their 55" OLED TV available for as little as $4000 within just eight months of release. It certainly makes me glad I didn't buy one of the last Panansonic plasmas at the end of last year. I'd be feeling very jaded right now if I had.

Desk
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 07:49 AM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

.........?  And why would it?

vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 11:16 AM 05-06-2014
^He thinks you're an LCD automaton? wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post

Who says it's failing?

Samsung were unable to produce a commercially viable panel using their approach, but LG don't show any signs of slowing down as they prepare to launch four new OLED sets this year while signing deals to provide panels to other manufacturers including (reportedly) Sony and Panasonic for their own-brand versions.

Meanwhile, the price of their existing product has fallen to almost a third of what it cost when it first came out in September. Personally, I never dreamed we'd see their 55" OLED TV available for as little as $4000 within just eight months of release. It certainly makes me glad I didn't buy one of the last Panansonic plasmas at the end of last year. I'd be feeling very jaded right now if I had.
As an owner of both, jaded can apply to both sets for various reasons. Suffice to say, your perfect display hasn't arrived yet.
Desk.'s Avatar Desk. 11:42 AM 05-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^He thinks you're an LCD automaton? wink.gif
As an owner of both, jaded can apply to both sets for various reasons. Suffice to say, your perfect display hasn't arrived yet.
Apprecitate that input, but I'm going for a very rounded view, thanks.

Desk
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 12:26 PM 05-06-2014
I understand, but the results of stress tests derived from actual owner usage has a value that is hard to match.
Artwood's Avatar Artwood 03:03 PM 05-06-2014
Translation--so far Samsung OLED is sucking bad! Maybe LG can make decent OLED--the world is quickly running out of affordable non LCD choices--we are entering the apocalyptic winter of LCD suckyness! Who can take it?
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 03:42 AM 05-07-2014
Given the wear and reliability problems with the LG OLED, maybe LG should have pulled out of the market too. Of course they are not as concerned with ruining their brand reputation since it can't go much lower after their mediocre LCD and Plasma products. I think Samsung made the right decision. LG forced their hand in releasing these prototypes but Samsung finally realized that LG was bluffing and doesn't actually have a viable product that they need to worry about or compete with.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 04:13 AM 05-07-2014
^You didn't ultimately buy the LG that you were considering, I take it. I had to be one of the suckers who just couldn't wait any longer. biggrin.gif The bright side is no more dying subpixels after the initial three in the first 50 hours, but it's hard for me to get enthused after what's transpired since.
Desk.'s Avatar Desk. 05:08 AM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

I think Samsung made the right decision. LG forced their hand in releasing these prototypes but Samsung finally realized that LG was bluffing and doesn't actually have a viable product that they need to worry about or compete with.
That's one interpretation that certainly favours Samsung, but doesn't hold up.

How exactly are LG bluffing, when they're ramping up a $350 million manufacturing facility? It certainly doesn't make sense for a company to make a large financial investment and attempt to stake a claim at a prestige status within an industry with a product that it knows is 'not viable'

To me, it certainly seems as if LG are confident that they are able to produce a viable product using their own method of creating OLED sets. They already look to be agreeing deals to sell panels on to other major firms like Sony and Panasonic. And the sets ARE selling as they come down in price - looking at the stock fluctuations on at least one UK retailer's website. While there a couple of owners here reporting problems, there are others who have not experienced any issues and are quite satisfied (perhaps not subjecting them to the sort of grey-scale scrutiny that would reveal any). Certainly, a couple of weeks ago Cleveland Plasma reported he had sold more than 20 sets, and had issues with just one of those sales. This early into a brand new technology, that's pretty good.

I'm confident prices will continue to fall, and that uptake will continue. As to any quality issues - I'm interested to see what develops.

Desk
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 09:48 AM 05-07-2014
To me, any set that's incapable of showing a couple letter-boxed movies without burn-in is not viable. I predict a class action lawsuit similar to what happened with all the failing SXRD sets a few years ago. The fact they are trying to unload these lemons with constant large price drops does not inspire confidence either. My thanks and condolences go out to all the unlucky early adopters of the LG. At least you've helped the rest of us avoid a large headache.

We can only hope that LG has a solution to their problems and will use it when they start manufacturing at their new plant.
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 11:05 PM 05-07-2014

LG Bluffing? I think not. My set has no bad pixels and is flawless. Considering trading for 65" Sony 4k just for the extra inches. I love this TV and the 3d, just wish it was 65"

Morning5's Avatar Morning5 11:13 PM 05-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Given the wear and reliability problems with the LG OLED, maybe LG should have pulled out of the market too. Of course they are not as concerned with ruining their brand reputation since it can't go much lower after their mediocre LCD and Plasma products. I think Samsung made the right decision. LG forced their hand in releasing these prototypes but Samsung finally realized that LG was bluffing and doesn't actually have a viable product that they need to worry about or compete with.

Yeah, I bought a LG tv with 240 Local Dimming zones: 0.001 cd/m2 of neutral blacks, zero clouding and 10ms input lag in game mode with pc label.

Morning5.
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13 07:28 AM 05-08-2014
^^what is your model name?
Morning5's Avatar Morning5 09:28 AM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

LG LX9500, 8mile13.
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13 10:20 AM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post

Quote:

LG LX9500, 8mile13.
seems to be a Edge Lit with Local Dimming. That is probably one of the best reviews a LG ever had..
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-infinia-47lx9500/

Even the best what they have to offer, LG FALDs, are not as good as what the competition has to offer. Most of their Plasma/LCd stuff is mediocre.
Morning5's Avatar Morning5 05:58 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:

seems to be a Edge Lit with Local Dimming. That is probably one of the best reviews a LG ever had..
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-infinia-47lx9500/

Even the best what they have to offer, LG FALDs, are not as good as what the competition has to offer. Most of their Plasma/LCd stuff is mediocre.

The LX9500 is FALD, 240 zones.

According to CNET, the LX9500 FALD was better than the competition in several key areas.

CNET review of LX9500:

Black level: In this crucial category the LX9500 delivered an excellent performance, producing a shade of black on par with the best TVs in our lineup. In numerous mostly dark shots, such as the flyover of the nighttime cityscape in Chapter 2, the depth of black and near-black areas was deeper and more realistic than on either of the Samsungs and the Vizio, and every bit as inky as what we saw on the LE8500, the HX909, and the other two plasmas.
It was tough to choose depth-of-black winner among those four, even in our side-by-side comparison, to the extent that any difference is more likely because of nuances of calibration than panel performance. That said, we feel the LGs (which were essentially identical) had a slight edge over the Sony, thanks mainly to their superior ability to limit blooming--where dark areas adjacent to lighter ones become slightly brighter because of stray illumination of the LED elements.

Color accuracy: The LX9500 again performed extremely well in this department. Around the restaurant table in Chapter 5, for example, the skin tones of Rachel and Dent were closer to our reference than any of the other TVs, with the exception of the Vizio, where they looked nearly identical. The LG beat the saturation of the Vizio by just a bit, however, thanks to its deeper black levels. The LG's primary and secondary color accuracy also showed through on Rachel's red dress, along with the green of the pool table felt (Chapter 9) and the cyan of the sea and sky (Chapter 10).
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13 07:18 AM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 

The LX9500 is FALD, 240 zones.

According to CNET, the LX9500 FALD was better than the competition in several key areas.

CNET review of LX9500:

Black level: In this crucial category the LX9500 delivered an excellent performance, producing a shade of black on par with the best TVs in our lineup. In numerous mostly dark shots, such as the flyover of the nighttime cityscape in Chapter 2, the depth of black and near-black areas was deeper and more realistic than on either of the Samsungs and the Vizio, and every bit as inky as what we saw on the LE8500, the HX909, and the other two plasmas.
It was tough to choose depth-of-black winner among those four, even in our side-by-side comparison, to the extent that any difference is more likely because of nuances of calibration than panel performance. That said, we feel the LGs (which were essentially identical) had a slight edge over the Sony, thanks mainly to their superior ability to limit blooming--where dark areas adjacent to lighter ones become slightly brighter because of stray illumination of the LED elements.

Color accuracy: The LX9500 again performed extremely well in this department. Around the restaurant table in Chapter 5, for example, the skin tones of Rachel and Dent were closer to our reference than any of the other TVs, with the exception of the Vizio, where they looked nearly identical. The LG beat the saturation of the Vizio by just a bit, however, thanks to its deeper black levels. The LG's primary and secondary color accuracy also showed through on Rachel's red dress, along with the green of the pool table felt (Chapter 9) and the cyan of the sea and sky (Chapter 10).
In the 2010 VE Shootout Sony NX810 had a better picture. The LX9500 was LGs Flagship, the NX810 is a Sony midrange.
http://www.cnet.com/news/panasonic-vt25-plasma-wins-hdtv-shootout/
Tags: Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
First ... 15  16  17 18  19  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop