Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Grayscale color temperature will drift to lower values and image will become more yellow as blue output will decrease over panel life. Samsung has larger blue sub-pixels and likely some software algorithms to compensate.

All TVs drift somewhat over time so I would not be too concerned if it requires some minor re-calibration occasionally. Many of us are interested in exactly how OLED fares in the long run.

From what I remember in the reviews, the Samsung ABL is much less aggressive (or oppressive ) than LG's so you might be able to use larger window patterns as long as they don't stay on the screen for too long.
Wizziwig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
How is the uniformity on the Samsung OLED?
Vegas oled is online now  
Old 08-09-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Grayscale color temperature will drift to lower values and image will become more yellow as blue output will decrease over panel life. Samsung has larger blue sub-pixels and likely some software algorithms to compensate.

All TVs drift somewhat over time so I would not be too concerned if it requires some minor re-calibration occasionally. Many of us are interested in exactly how OLED fares in the long run.

From what I remember in the reviews, the Samsung ABL is much less aggressive (or oppressive ) than LG's so you might be able to use larger window patterns as long as they don't stay on the screen for too long.


Thanks, Wizziwig. I'll report any color drift on the OLED. Thank you for that information.


I'll try the larger window patterns this week. I was worried initially with burn-in and got used to using the smaller window. Also, now that I'm more familiar with the calibration software, the larger windows won't be a problem.
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
How is the uniformity on the Samsung OLED?

JWhip reported vertical color shift back in post 99. From where I have the set and my sitting position, however, the screen appears one solid tone from end to end.
Vegas oled likes this.
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Member
 
rogershomework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bad news guys, I seem to have permanent burn-in. I use this for a computer monitor. My start menu seems to be burned into the screen. My cell light is 3/20. I have computer screensaver set to 1 minute. I was doing research on the new LG OLED for a few hours so my screensaver didnt kick on. This is the first time I've ever noticed any type of IR or burn-in.

I noticed it while watching family guy. It has gone away on backlight 3, but if i put it to 0 backlight and have all white screen its still there.

What's the best way to try to remove the burn-in? What cell light level do I use and what's the best video/program for removal on OLED? I just purchased LG's new OLED (55EC9300) but with this burn in I'm tempted to cancel that order


Last edited by rogershomework; 08-14-2014 at 01:31 PM.
rogershomework is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,800
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
If it's actual burn-in, it won't go away. If it's IR, regular, varied content might make it disappear over time.
Ken Ross is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Thought the Samsung was perhaps more robust vs that... Did u use its scrolling bar? think it has one inbuild?
vaktmestern is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Member
 
rogershomework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
If it's actual burn-in, it won't go away. If it's IR, regular, varied content might make it disappear over time.
How much time? Minutes, hours, days, weeks?
rogershomework is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post
Bad news guys, I seem to have permanent burn-in. I use this for a computer monitor. My start menu seems to be burned into the screen. My cell light is 3/20. I have computer screensaver set to 1 minute. I was doing research on the new LG OLED for a few hours so my screensaver didnt kick on. This is the first time I've ever noticed any type of IR or burn-in.

I noticed it while watching family guy. It has gone away on backlight 3, but if i put it to 0 backlight and have all white screen its still there.

What's the best way to try to remove the burn-in? What cell light level do I use and what's the best video/program for removal on OLED? I just purchased LG's new OLED (55EC9300) but with this burn in I'm tempted to cancel that order

Did you have the pixel shift feature on?
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Member
 
rogershomework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Did you have the pixel shift feature on?
Yes. Every feature to prevent burn-in including that was enabled. I was not expecting to have burn in at all with cell light set to 3.

Least I can't see it when I do change cell light to 3, only on 0/1/2.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently I didn't

Last edited by rogershomework; 08-14-2014 at 05:45 PM.
rogershomework is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
So you can't see the burn in with the cell light at 3 or higher?
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Member
 
rogershomework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
So you can't see the burn in with the cell light at 3 or higher?
Nope.
rogershomework is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post
Bad news guys, I seem to have permanent burn-in. I use this for a computer monitor. My start menu seems to be burned into the screen. My cell light is 3/20. I have computer screensaver set to 1 minute. I was doing research on the new LG OLED for a few hours so my screensaver didnt kick on. This is the first time I've ever noticed any type of IR or burn-in.

I noticed it while watching family guy. It has gone away on backlight 3, but if i put it to 0 backlight and have all white screen its still there.

What's the best way to try to remove the burn-in? What cell light level do I use and what's the best video/program for removal on OLED? I just purchased LG's new OLED (55EC9300) but with this burn in I'm tempted to cancel that order



Nobody has reported burn-in on an LG OLED, that being said an OLED for a computer monitor is not wise.
Vegas oled is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogershomework View Post
Nope.
Consider yourself lucky, then. I wouldn't put up a static image on my years-old plasma, much less this OLED. Really, you can ruin the screen in less time if you were so inclined.
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Member
 
rogershomework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Consider yourself lucky, then. I wouldn't put up a static image on my years-old plasma, much less this OLED. Really, you can ruin the screen in less time if you were so inclined.
A full length movie will have a static image for just as long as I would for my computer use. Letter box burn-in would be worse then my burn in I would think.

Does having a higher cell light make burn-in more likely or does that even matter? I prefer a very low backlight, so I thought that would also help prevent burn-in.

Edit:
Wow I feel like an idiot. Just went into the menu to confirm pixel shift was on and it was OFF. I remember turning it on cause I figured I'd be crazy not to have it on especially for use on a computer. It must be input specific maybe? Either way, this seems like its mostly my fault for not having that enabled. I did notice it only allows for up to 4 pixels. Since my start menu is more like 20? pixels would that even help in that situation?

Last edited by rogershomework; 08-14-2014 at 05:43 PM.
rogershomework is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I wouldn't put letter bar in the same catagory as a static image
Sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully it's just ir
Vegas oled likes this.
5x10 is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
First, I want to apologize to you, Rogershomework. That "consider yourself lucky" remark didn't come out right. All I meant is, it's good you can still enjoy the set if you raise the cell light above 3. I haven't viewed anything at that low a setting. I use a setting of 6 and sometimes 9, and keep the contrast at 93. When I get home, I'll reduce the cell to 3 and check the screen. Who knows, maybe I have the same burn in, lol.
rogershomework likes this.
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Burnin is a scary thing. B4 I returned my 1st gen OLED I thought I saw burnin but it was only visible in the grey scale which on that particular LG was so screwed up I really could not confirm.
Vegas oled is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Tried all the cell light levels, no burn in noticed.
Vegas oled likes this.
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Nobody has reported burn-in on an LG OLED, that being said an OLED for a computer monitor is not wise.

I have on the OLED in London thread.
JWhip is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
I have on the OLED in London thread.
Not 100% it was burnin but very possible because of neglect. No doubt OLED is like plasma and it is possible. I would never use an OLED or plasma as a computer monitor.
Vegas oled is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 152
There are good reasons why none of the OLED vendors are yet talking about using OLED's for computer monitors or laptop displays. It will happen eventually but the material lifetimes arent there yet.
tgm1024 likes this.
slacker711 is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Member
 
rogershomework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
First, I want to apologize to you, Rogershomework. That "consider yourself lucky" remark didn't come out right. All I meant is, it's good you can still enjoy the set if you raise the cell light above 3. I haven't viewed anything at that low a setting. I use a setting of 6 and sometimes 9, and keep the contrast at 93. When I get home, I'll reduce the cell to 3 and check the screen. Who knows, maybe I have the same burn in, lol.
To make it the easiest to see, you would want to put the cell light on 0 and have a all gray and/or white screen up.
rogershomework is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I checked the cell light levels and ran Grayscale patterns from 10 - 100 and burn is not there. I did notice some very light reddish spots along the left and right of the screen with gray backgrounds. Guess I was wrong about perfect screen uniformity.
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
I checked the cell light levels and ran Grayscale patterns from 10 - 100 and burn is not there. I did notice some very light reddish spots along the left and right of the screen with gray backgrounds. Guess I was wrong about perfect screen uniformity.
OLED is a new technology and we all try and compare is to plasma which it is not. I was seeing some crazy scribble lines at 10ire on my 1sf gen OLED that were not there in content.

I believe OLED has some IR that we do not fully understand and if course the possibility of burn-in. Too bad that we don't have more Samsung OLED sales to better compare with LG in this area.
Vegas oled is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
There are good reasons why none of the OLED vendors are yet talking about using OLED's for computer monitors or laptop displays. It will happen eventually but the material lifetimes arent there yet.
Didn't Samsung just release a large OLED tablet? Something like 10" or so. I wonder how that will fare with all the static status bars, icons, etc.
Wizziwig is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I finally did see a Samsung OLED today and was able to run my slides on it. perfect uniformity and no pixels out. It did not have the POP of the LG to me but it might of been because it was calibrated properly and the environment was not ideal. Very nice TV, I liked the look better than 1st gen LG but not as much as the second gen LG.
vaktmestern likes this.
Vegas oled is online now  
Old 08-16-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Will you be calibrating your new OLED?
Pres2play is online now  
Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Didn't Samsung just release a large OLED tablet? Something like 10" or so. I wonder how that will fare with all the static status bars, icons, etc.
I think the use cases for laptops and tablets are very different. There are very few people who are going to use their tablet for 8 hours a day on a single application (eg excel). It will be possible to get burn-in on the Tab S, but I dont think it will be anywhere near the norm. I would comfortably buy an AMOLED tablet, but wouldnt consider an AMOLED laptop.

FWIW, I feel like anecdotal reports of burn-in on the Galaxy handsets have gone down with each successive generation.
slacker711 is online now  
Old 08-16-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Will you be calibrating your new OLED?
I just might. I do not like the THX settings as they seem too flat. I am guilty of running the LG OLED like a Xmas tree, way to bright.
Vegas oled is online now  
 

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off