Samsung KN55S9C 55 inch OLED owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 524 Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was able to see this set in my local big box retailer and was extremely impressed with the inky blacks and color reproduction. Only issue I witnessed was fast moving motion and pans. They were playing a DTS movie loop and during the "Prometheus" segment, there is a pan of dark clouds from the ground upwards and I could definitely see some banding. Could be in the source. But other fast moving objects and people had distortion around them at times, too. I did not get to play around with the TV settings at all so not sure if some motion control would have alleviated this issue or not.
Otherwise, very impressive picture. Just wish they made them in over 60" size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 524 Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

More pix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

^^^ WOW.

(I know, I know, this comment didn't add to the discussion at all, but the pictures are truly stunning.)

The black's are just........ phenomenal! eek.gif

I wish I could see it in person. No Samsung or LG OLED available to demo where I'm at. frown.gif
post #93 of 524 Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Very, very nice blacks. And...no more buzzing. No more using my TV as a heat register. No more mosquito noise to ruin the picture. Great natural looking colors. Killer 3D. Nice IR extender that allows you to control the cable box with the TV's REMOTE, and not the other way around. I'm happy, man.
post #94 of 524 Old 10-23-2013, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Was able to see this set in my local big box retailer and was extremely impressed with the inky blacks and color reproduction. Only issue I witnessed was fast moving motion and pans. They were playing a DTS movie loop and during the "Prometheus" segment, there is a pan of dark clouds from the ground upwards and I could definitely see some banding. Could be in the source. But other fast moving objects and people had distortion around them at times, too. I did not get to play around with the TV settings at all so not sure if some motion control would have alleviated this issue or not.
Otherwise, very impressive picture. Just wish they made them in over 60" size.

You can adjust it to where it's tolerable using the set's Motion Plus control. At first, I tried turning this feature off, to avoid that soap opera effect disaster, but that only made it worse.
post #95 of 524 Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Yes, the motion can be adjusted to make it better. We were able to do that woth Robert's display. The blacks are truly incredible. I just hate the curve and the distortion that it introduces to the image as well as the off axis performance., especially vertically. You really need to place this display with your eyes in the center of the screen. If you do and you don't mind the curve and of course, the cost, the display delivers an incredible picture. Hopefully Panasonic will perfect the printing method so these sets can be made affordable, 4K, flat and of course, bigger.
post #96 of 524 Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
^The 2013 Panasonic plasmas (the ZT60 at least) doesn't have the best PQ off-axis vertically either. I prefer to watch it at eye level, so it doesn't affect the viewing experiencing negatively unfortunately.
post #97 of 524 Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^The 2013 Panasonic plasmas (the ZT60 at least) doesn't have the best PQ off-axis vertically either. I prefer to watch it at eye level, so it doesn't affect the viewing experiencing negatively unfortunately.

I suspect that is largely due to the A/R filter an not something inherent in plasma tech.
post #98 of 524 Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Of course, that is exactly what it is...I'm not convinced the vertical distortion of the PQ on this panel is inherent to OLED either.
post #99 of 524 Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't notice the color shift at all on the flat OLED I saw in London by LG. The color shift is very noticeable on the curved Sammy though, especially with B & W content. I hope to make CES this year and it will be interesting to check this out on the OLEDs there, especially the flat Panasonic 4K sets.
post #100 of 524 Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:

Plasma's are pretty darn good on off-axis viewing though.......
post #101 of 524 Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 AM

I know, I know, but an AR filter can cause significant degradation. smile.gif In this case, it is very pronounced off-axis vertically on the ZT60...not a bother to me, since I prefer not to get a crick in my neck from viewing content (and the main complaint about this OLED panel in particular is also related to vertical angles). wink.gif
post #102 of 524 Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw the vertical color shift on the ZT60. IMHO it is a good bit more pronounced in the Sammy OLED, probably in part due to the fact that the set leans back in the stand, as well as the curve.
post #103 of 524 Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

From a normal seating position, the color shift is really not a factor. TBH, I can't tell if there's a color shift or not, looking down at the screen. For me, the issue is blooming. It's not severe and many won't even notice it, but I'm wondering if it affects picture calibration in any way. I'm noticing that shadow detail in interior shots appear overly dark in some of the Blurays I've watched, and Scott made a reference to this in his calibration video. At the end of his review, he stated the set looked a bit too dark after calilbration and that once he raised the brightness a flew clicks, the picture was better. When I raise the brightness a tad, the picture tends to look washed out when viewing exterior shots. This is not a knock on the set. It just means I have more setup and adjustments to make.
post #104 of 524 Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 22
I don't need to see a ZT in person to know how horrible vertical off-angle will be. Off angle horizontally may be great on plasmas, but vertically it's nowhere near good. It'[s flat horrible. I saw it first hand on 2011 and 2012 pannys and they didn't magically change the AR to be able to not have the problems in 2013. It dims it so much you wouldn't be able to watch it at much of an angle.

ALso I showed some pics from a kuro elite, where black bars were very bright and Vinnie said it's normal, yet look how dark these blacks look in the pics from this thread. There's no way that 0.001 blacks are supposed to look gray.
post #105 of 524 Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The only time I have seen it on a plasma is with the ZT due to the filter. I have a Kuro 141 and have never seen it , ever. TV's are best reviewed with your eyes in the dead center of the screen from the sitting position, which is how mine is wall mounted. That would minimize or eliminate the issue with the Sammy as well, but for the laid back positioning of the screen inside the frame. The Sammy, but for the curve distortion and the color shifting I have seen, is the best display I have yet seen. I would have loved to see it against that 10G Kuro.
post #106 of 524 Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

The only time I have seen it on a plasma is with the ZT due to the filter. I have a Kuro 141 and have never seen it , ever.
I never know what model someone is talking about when they use the US Kuro model#s but the Kuros absolutely had a polarizing filter on them which limited vertical viewing angles to try and reduce reflections in a bright room. I think this was only present on the higher-end models though.
post #107 of 524 Old 10-26-2013, 11:15 AM

The 141 is a higher end model (Elite). The filter on the Elites was much, much less aggressive than today's Panasonic's.

What are you claiming I stated, somelogin? tongue.gif
post #108 of 524 Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 22
depends what you call less aggressive. Even CNET as of last year was still implying that no modern tv had better antireflective than the elites.
post #109 of 524 Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If I look at my set laying on the floor, or on a ladder or on either side of the room, the color and black levels are the same as when I view it head on eyes at the center of the screen.That can't be said of the Sammy OLED I demoed for several hours. I also noticed a slight color shift on the ZT when looking up at the set from below. This is the first time I have ever seen that on a plasma and I currently own and use 3 of them.
post #110 of 524 Old 10-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

depends what you call less aggressive. Even CNET as of last year was still implying that no modern tv had better antireflective than the elites.
I'm not referring to 2012. wink.gif The May 2013 Value Electronics shootout (which included a 500M) was very revealing.
post #111 of 524 Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From a normal seating position, the color shift is really not a factor. TBH, I can't tell if there's a color shift or not, looking down at the screen. For me, the issue is blooming. It's not severe and many won't even notice it, but I'm wondering if it affects picture calibration in any way. I'm noticing that shadow detail in interior shots appear overly dark in some of the Blurays I've watched, and Scott made a reference to this in his calibration video. At the end of his review, he stated the set looked a bit too dark after calilbration and that once he raised the brightness a flew clicks, the picture was better. When I raise the brightness a tad, the picture tends to look washed out when viewing exterior shots. This is not a knock on the set. It just means I have more setup and adjustments to make.

It turns out only one of the inputs was calibrated -- the HDMI 1 input for the cable box. With Ed Johnson's help, I was able to open the service menu and view the Color Space custom settings and 10p White Balance values that he entered. Then I copied them from HDMI1 to the rest of the HDMI inputs. Unlocking the menu also allowed me to adjust the brightness and contrast settings, which are locked in Cal Day and Cal Night modes. Until today, I didn't know I was watching Blurays with the TV still in factory mode; it looks that good out of the box. With the inputs now adjusted, PQ is just off the charts. Ed is a freakin' genius.
post #112 of 524 Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

That should have been done for you as part of the calibration IMHO.
post #113 of 524 Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

With all due respect to Robert at VE, I agree with you 100%. And it was only my insistence to view all the details in the service menu that helped me uncover the mistake. The experience has soured me on in-store calibration and has left me wondering if it's the best approach... a screw on the pedestal was busted, they forgot to put the power cord back in the box during repackaging, and it took a few visits to the store and numerous emails to Ed and Robert, and Samsung, to get the information I needed. In the end, Ed did do a great job on the single input and I do appreciate the help he gave me.
post #114 of 524 Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

With all due respect to Robert at VE, I agree with you 100%. And it was only my insistence to view all the details in the service menu that helped me uncover the mistake. The experience has soured me on in-store calibration and has left me wondering if it's the best approach... a screw on the pedestal was busted, they forgot to put the power cord back in the box during repackaging, and it took a few visits to the store and numerous emails to Ed and Robert, and Samsung, to get the information I needed. In the end, Ed did do a great job on the single input and I do appreciate the help he gave me.

Have you encountered any image retention of any kind on your set?

I noticed the following in the model's user manual.

Screen Burn Protection
Screen Menu > System > Screen Burn Protection Try Now
The TV also has the following additional screen burn protection functions:
● Auto Protection Time
Auto Protection Time
Screen Menu > System > Screen Burn Protection > Auto Protection Time Try Now
If the screen displays a still image for a certain period of, the TV activates the screen saver to prevent
the formation of burnt-in ghost images.
post #115 of 524 Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I have Pixel Shift off; I don't like adding more processing, even if the picture might look the same having it on. I haven't noticed IR of any kind, yet.

I should be okay, I never max out the settings, or ramp up the brightness to the point where the black bars on either side of the screen turn gray.

The Auto Protection Time feature can be useful. It will activate the screen saver if you're running apps and the TV detects no changes within a certain period. I have it set to 5 minutes.

post #116 of 524 Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I would activate the pixel shift if it were my set, especially when watching ESPN and that hideous ticker, which I have seen cause tons of damage to plasmas.
post #117 of 524 Old 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM

I'd also recommend throwing up a white slide after a basketball/football session to check for any traces of IR.
post #118 of 524 Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Liked: 13
I would only go curved if it were >100".

[]s,
Fernando
post #119 of 524 Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I would activate the pixel shift if it were my set, especially when watching ESPN and that hideous ticker, which I have seen cause tons of damage to plasmas.

I just learned that pixel shift can be assigned to different presets and inputs, so it's fine for TV programs. I have it off for other sources.
post #120 of 524 Old 10-29-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd also recommend throwing up a white slide after a basketball/football session to check for any traces of IR.

Vinnie, I imagine you're talking about a test pattern. Which would you recommend?
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Samsung Kn55s9c Curved Panel Smart 3d Oled Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page