LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3931 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Jason626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: illinois
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
And there is LG's problem in a nutshell. Even at $2k they're not flying off the shelves.
I'd say before a statement like that to be true all retailers nationally should have this price not just stores some people have never heard of. Put them in bestbuy, sears, costco, SAMs, etc all for that price for a few weeks then we might get a clearer picture of how well they might sell at those prices. Even at. That price it's still a premium for 55" for the average consumer. That would test just how well the perceived value of price/performance to average public tv shopper.
Jason626 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3932 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
And there is LG's problem in a nutshell. Even at $2k they're not flying off the shelves.
The Frys in. Las Vegas sold 5 OLED's the week they dropped to $3000. Your statement has zero facts, the web page still shows $4,999. Someone must walk into store which there is only a dozen or so nation wide. A store in which if I lived down the street from, I would have ever guessed they were selling OLED's by the name

I can tell you the sales person at Frys told me he has not sold one single 65HU9000 and Samsung is spending millions trying to sell that TV. Not everyone is obsessed like the people on this forum in buying a TV every year or two.

Not to mention the salesreps are pushing the 4k snake oil just like they pushed the 3D snake oil a few years back.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-16-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #3933 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Newbie
 
mr_rhythm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
How would you attach the 8" x 8" to the studs? Would this be a series of long wood screws recessed into the wood? I think you cold hit three studs with six wood screws.
The "shelf" is actually going to sit on my mantle. After doing measurements I'm actually going to use a 6x8. So 5.5 high and 7.5 deep.
mr_rhythm is offline  
post #3934 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
This tv makes my 60" Kuro 6010 look broke. I have the OLED in my living room and the Kuro in my family room. I'm thinking of selling my 60" Kuro to replace it with the 55" LG. The only thing stopping me is this tv can't be mounted on the wall. I would need to build or buy a shelf to place it on. Anybody ever try this?
Agree with this, have been watching only this tv for the last few days
Go back into leaving room where my panny 65vt30 is and it looks subpar
I'll replace the vt when their 65 oled comes down in price

Also, this tv does put out a little heat, not nearly as much as my plasma

Last edited by 5x10; 06-16-2014 at 07:59 PM.
5x10 is online now  
post #3935 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,725
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
The Frys in. Las Vegas sold 5 OLED's the week they dropped to $3000. Your statement has zero facts, the web page still shows $4,999. Someone must walk into store which there is only a dozen or so nation wide. A store in which if I lived down the street from, I would have ever guessed they were selling OLED's by the name
If you think selling 5 TVs is the definition of success I'm not sure how to respond...
Stereodude is online now  
post #3936 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
If you think selling 5 TVs is the definition of success I'm not sure how to respond...
Seems all you do is spread negative, why not go to a forum with a product you actually own. The same Frys could not sell 2 Sony 65X900B in the same period and is sitting on a 950B.

When I write negative about something it is because I actually had the product in my house not just spreading negative. This is an Owners Forum

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-16-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #3937 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 327
One green sub-pixel dead. Hard to see from two feet away, impossible to see with actual content. Blue and reds look good still, 26 hours on panel. Almost missed it it is so hard to see even when looking.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #3938 of 5171 Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
^Not bad...I've learn to accept my 3 deads...nonissue.

More settings with which to experiment: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-hdtv-settings
vinnie97 is offline  
post #3939 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,725
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Seems all you do is spread negative, why not go to a forum with a product you actually own. The same Frys could not sell 2 Sony 65X900B in the same period and is sitting on a 950B.

When I write negative about something it is because I actually had the product in my house not just spreading negative. This is an Owners Forum
The irony of this statement is pretty rich considering how you went out of your way to troll the LCD and Plasma owners after the UK shootout, even starting threads with loaded titles to lure them in. I guess you should have taken your own advice. Of course the best part was when you later bought the TVs you were bashing.
rlindo and Theplague13 like this.
Stereodude is online now  
post #3940 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Seems all you do is spread negative, why not go to a forum with a product you actually own. The same Frys could not sell 2 Sony 65X900B in the same period and is sitting on a 950B.

When I write negative about something it is because I actually had the product in my house not just spreading negative. This is an Owners Forum
Stop with the owners forum thing already. Everyone is free to post here.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #3941 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
Are you using the D-Nice slides or Pixel Jogger?
Im using D-Nice and 2 others i swich between.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #3942 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Average joes find a lcd picture fanrasic and are happy with big tv low price .. this 55" they wont buy
Theplague13 likes this.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #3943 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Average joes find a lcd picture fanrasic and are happy with big tv low price .. this 55" they wont buy
Agree but I also don't think micro centers price drop is a good indicator on if this will sell at $2k or not
List it at $2k on amazon or best buy and see how they sell

I really think it would be important for the buyer to see the difference in picture to help warrant the increased cost
5x10 is online now  
post #3944 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Fantastic price did view the flat lg oled for my first time today. wasnt as great impact as i thought, the 55" on the wall looked timy lol was withouth that speaker frame, tv seemed slightly thicker than the curved but design is same if u remove the stand on 9800 n flattend the panel.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #3945 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Member
 
ynotgoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
If you think selling 5 TVs is the definition of success I'm not sure how to respond...
5 TVs at $3999 in 1 week at 1 location of 1 store for 1 model. There are 34 Fry's location, 25 MicroCenter, 1000+ Best Buy's, 1000 Sears, 200 hh gregg, 650 Costco. So 5 TVs * 52 weeks * 3000 locations = 780,000 TVs in 1 year at just these 6 retail stores. Add in all the other retail stores in the US, the Value Electronics and Cleveland Plasmas, Amazon, NewEgg, TigerDirect, etc. A large portion of the 1.6 million or so TVs to be made next year would be sold just in the US. And there are all those other countries. And they will also be sold under many different brands. Yes, I would call that success.
ynotgoal is offline  
post #3946 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Next goal for me must be a 65" 4k oled that u get the oled blacks n the inpact of 4k on a larger screen.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #3947 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Member
 
Desk.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm incredibly envious of those people lucky enough to live in a US state where Microcenter are offering this set at that price.

The best price in the UK is still just over £3000, prompting me to idly look into what proved to be, as expected, unfeasibly high transatlantic shipping costs.

Ultimately, though, I'm rather torn. Although I'd snap up a set at this price if I had the opportunity, the fact I'm unable helps steel my resolve to wait on for the new, larger 4K models. Here's hoping I don't have to wait too long to finally get a set, and that months from now I'm not looking back on this period of good fortune for my US cousins with a sense of frustration and burning resentment. :-)

Desk
Yappadappadu likes this.
Desk. is online now  
post #3948 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
I'm incredibly envious of those people lucky enough to live in a US state where Microcenter are offering this set at that price.

The best price in the UK is still just over £3000, prompting me to idly look into what proved to be, as expected, unfeasibly high transatlantic shipping costs.

Ultimately, though, I'm rather torn. Although I'd snap up a set at this price if I had the opportunity, the fact I'm unable helps steel my resolve to wait on for the new, larger 4K models. Here's hoping I don't have to wait too long to finally get a set, and that months from now I'm not looking back on this period of good fortune for my US cousins with a sense of frustration and burning resentment. :-)

Desk
Was in the same dillemma but i reasoned with this tv i can buy now and i need to wait anyway to a 4k oled comes down to a ok price and that can be another year or two.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #3949 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The irony of this statement is pretty rich considering how you went out of your way to troll the LCD and Plasma owners after the UK shootout, even starting threads with loaded titles to lure them in. I guess you should have taken your own advice. Of course the best part was when you later bought the TVs you were bashing.
I actually had theses panels in my house I did not act like I was going to purchase them just to back out a and post negatives. I gave the good and bad of each and my experience.

I determined for me OLED is the best, this does not mean if I had a different viewing environment I would not have chose another panel as they all have their good and bad.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #3950 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Next goal for me must be a 65" 4k oled that u get the oled blacks n the inpact of 4k on a larger screen.
why so small, 77 or larger

also, great news IMO on LG selling these OLED screens to Panisonic! I would think that would mean its a viable product that is solid
at least thats what i am thinking, wishful thinking
5x10 is online now  
post #3951 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
why so small, 77 or larger

also, great news IMO on LG selling these OLED screens to Panisonic! I would think that would mean its a viable product that is solid
at least thats what i am thinking, wishful thinking
Think the 77" will be past my budget
vaktmestern is online now  
post #3952 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Think the 77" will be past my budget
i think its all about time, just look at this 55'
plus, with panny also distrbuting them, its only going to drive the price down
5x10 is online now  
post #3953 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,725
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
plus, with panny also distrbuting them, its only going to drive the price down
You mean it's only going to make sure LG has the lowest prices. I can't imagine that people buying panels from them will be happy when LG starts selling completed TVs for less than they charge their competitors for the OLED panel.
Stereodude is online now  
post #3954 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You mean it's only going to make sure LG has the lowest prices. I can't imagine that people buying panels from them will be happy when LG starts selling completed TVs for less than they charge their competitors for the OLED panel.
LG Display is already selling OLED panels to Chinese companies whose first units substantially undercut the pricing of the LG Electronics OLED models sold in China. I doubt an OLED television from Panasonic would be cheap but I dont think that will be because LG Display is charging a huge premium to non LGE companies.
slacker711 is online now  
post #3955 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
LG Display is already selling OLED panels to Chinese companies whose first units substantially undercut the pricing of the LG Electronics OLED models sold in China. I doubt an OLED television from Panasonic would be cheap but I dont think that will be because LG Display is charging a huge premium to non LGE companies.

Pretty certain that LG Electronics is not selling any OLED TVs in China (hence the partnerships).
fafrd is offline  
post #3956 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 66
in regards to the picture "deterioration" that was referenced by the Panny president, are any owners going to monitor that?
Im not sure if that means a loss of subpixels, a loss of brightness, or what exactly they are referencing
but, i would like to be able to monitor it

any ideas?
5x10 is online now  
post #3957 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 111
OT. We should move this discussion off of the owners forum.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_16969379.htm

LG offers 1st curved TV to China
2013-09-13 21:19 By Shen Jingting ( chinadaily.com.cn)
LG offers 1st curved TV to China market
A model displays a LG's world's first curved OLED TV on Sept 13, 2013 in Beijing. [Photo / dfic.cn]
South Korean consumer electronics and appliances company LG Corp introduced the world's first curved OLED televisions to the Chinese market on Friday, securing the company's position as a leading TV manufacturer in China.

LG's curved OLED TV boasts a technology that enables the firm to build thinner and lighter TVs than traditional LED TVs. Priced at 59,999 yuan ($9,800), LG said the newly launched TV is available on both China's online and offline channels.
slacker711 is online now  
post #3958 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Member
 
mikeg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any idea when an LG 65" OLED 1080p will hit the market? Price? The OLED infinite contrast trumps the higher 4K resolution LCD anytime.
vaktmestern and 5x10 like this.
mikeg1 is offline  
post #3959 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
Any idea when an LG 65" OLED 1080p will hit the market? Price? The OLED infinite contrast trumps the higher 4K resolution LCD anytime.
i cant get over this picture, its unreal, i need to expand my blu ray collection so im not watching the same movies over and over
just spoke to my dad over the phone, and he started talking about the picture on the tv
i kind of feel bad giving him my 55st50 knowing that the oled is the tv replacing it
im afraid the plasma will feel subpar from day 1 for him, even though hes coming from a tube tv
5x10 is online now  
post #3960 of 5171 Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is the Microcenter sale still in progress?

I believe reviewed.com just posted their review of the "Gallery" LG OLED.
vaktmestern likes this.
hhaller is online now  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off