LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
First ... 131  132  133 134  135  ... Last
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 11:58 AM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Think the 77" will be past my budget
Already have a 65" plasma...so I don't want to half-ass it when it's time to replace it. By then, hopefully, the 77" will be a more budgetable item.

Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 12:32 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
sadly people who are spending $4,000 on 55" 4K led sets think were just putting them down when we recommend OLED over the 55" 4k. I wish some of them would just give it a try, they will be surprised.
I suspect that for most people, the issue will be the relatively small, 55" size. Of course the cost/size ratio may be a bigger factor for many.
Barrybud's Avatar Barrybud 01:07 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
in regards to the picture "deterioration" that was referenced by the Panny president, are any owners going to monitor that?
Im not sure if that means a loss of subpixels, a loss of brightness, or what exactly they are referencing
but, i would like to be able to monitor it

any ideas?
I believe that is in reference to the BLUE OLED that had a much shorter life span than the Red or green. LG is getting around that buy using white pixels with colored filters, thus removing that as an issue. Samsung's OLED would suffer from that because that did not use this better option.
JewDaddy's Avatar JewDaddy 01:18 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
lol, I see..heart never really in it. What you ask is a tall order, but I hope they can make it a reality.
That's kinda how I felt but there was just no way I could pass on such a great deal for the best picture you can get on the market right now. I'm going to enjoy my OLED now, and get a 4K 65" or larger in the future :-)
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 01:27 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotgoal View Post
5 TVs at $3999 in 1 week at 1 location of 1 store for 1 model.
For the price these are at, I bet LG is happy with sales.......It's a fist launch product.

Another HUGE note: You think this thread is active, lets move it to the LCD/LED section of AVS. Most people do not even know this thread exists. This thread is buried........
440forpower's Avatar 440forpower 03:51 PM 06-17-2014
So does anyone else have a price close to Microcenters price? I don't have a Microcenter close.
5x10's Avatar 5x10 04:11 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post
So does anyone else have a price close to Microcenters price? I don't have a Microcenter close.
I've seen frys for 3k, best buy for 4k, SAMs on sale for 4k

Wonder what it would cost to ship this
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 04:48 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I suspect that for most people, the issue will be the relatively small, 55" size. Of course the cost/size ratio may be a bigger factor for many.

For those wanting a larger size I totally understand them going LCD and if your going LCD why not 4K. I am only referring to the people who spend $4,000 on a 55" LED. with my brief experience with 4K I would go Sony (the Player is great) and I would pick up a 900A with passive 3D for $3,ooo, that is a deal that one would also not regret. I do not believe the 900B is much better if at all.
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 05:37 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
I believe that is in reference to the BLUE OLED that had a much shorter life span than the Red or green. LG is getting around that buy using white pixels with colored filters, thus removing that as an issue. Samsung's OLED would suffer from that because that did not use this better option.
Samsung instead chose to use a larger blue. I believe that this approach (if they're able to ever able to find a way to manufacturer it), is a superior one.

Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 06:21 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
For those wanting a larger size I totally understand them going LCD and if your going LCD why not 4K. I am only referring to the people who spend $4,000 on a 55" LED. with my brief experience with 4K I would go Sony (the Player is great) and I would pick up a 900A with passive 3D for $3,ooo, that is a deal that one would also not regret. I do not believe the 900B is much better if at all.
If I had to guess, the CRs seem higher on the 'b' than the 'a'...at least from eyeballing it.
apoc44 09:06 PM 06-17-2014
Just purchased this TV! Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but wanted to know if there was any definitive answer to the best way of breaking it in? Is it even necessary to have a 'break-in' period or can I just start watching? I'm coming from a 7 year old Panasonic plasma, so not that up to date with what I need to do before I can start watching.

Thanks!
5x10's Avatar 5x10 09:51 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc44 View Post
Just purchased this TV! Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but wanted to know if there was any definitive answer to the best way of breaking it in? Is it even necessary to have a 'break-in' period or can I just start watching? I'm coming from a 7 year old Panasonic plasma, so not that up to date with what I need to do before I can start watching.

Thanks!
im not sure, i just started watching movies and tv
maybe i will pay later due to different pixel aging, maybe not, either way, congrats on the purchase and enjoy the epic picture!

its weird, i have noticed the outline of the back box on the tv, on certain gray screens, when i am loading an app or xbox 1 is loading
then, i was watching a movie tonightthat had a similar gray intro, and there is no box
i guess i need slides to truely tell, but i havent seen it on any movies, tv, gaming, etc, just app/xbox load up
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 12:51 AM 06-18-2014
You will NEVER get blacks like this with LED
Attached: image.jpg (227.9 KB) 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 02:42 AM 06-18-2014
You will NEVER get blacks like this with anything else !!

---It would be awesome to have a flat 90" OLED that weighted like 90 pounds or less.........lol
Playdrv4me's Avatar Playdrv4me 02:54 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotgoal View Post
The MicroCenter in St Louis has them for $1999.

Me: How are you able to sell them at this price?
Rep: LG said to sell them. So we are.
Me: Have you sold any?
Rep: One so far.. to a co-worker.
Me: How long will you have this price?
Rep: Until June 29 or we run out.
Me: How many do you have?
Rep: 5.
Me: Will you be getting more of this model or will there be a new replacement model?
Rep: We'll probably get more but its hard to say.
WHOA WHOA WHOA! I am picking one of these up *TOMORROW*! YES!

Hell, I might pick up a few and throw em' on Ebay.
Playdrv4me's Avatar Playdrv4me 03:21 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Just picked mine up for $2,000 at microcenter this morning!!!! I'm so excited!! I'm glad I didn't jump on the Frys sale a month ago when it was $4,500. I walked in the store and they had it on display for $2,000. Funny thing, I walked out with two tv's. As I was waiting for the OLED to be brought out from the back, one of the sales guys told me they had a 55" LG 4K on sale for $1,099. I thought he was joking. He wasn't. They have the LG 55LA9650 for $1,099!!!!!! My wife actually forced me to get it :-) Bestbuy is still selling the 4K LG for $2,399.00. I can't believe I walked out of Microcenter with a OLED AND 4K TV for $3,100!!! Just insane.
Wow. I'm tempted to do the same thing. Though I don't really think a 4K LCD is worth the trouble at this juncture, almost at any price (I mean there's crappy 4k LCDs out there for 600.00, so there's nothing really precent setting about an LG for 1100, especially when you consider their LCDs are relatively lackluster to begin with). This brings me back in mind of the 1499 deal I discovered on the 60F8500 at Conn's some months ago and what a jaw dropper that was (and for Samsung, very much a no-no from everything that was said). I do have to agree that this is virtually dumping product at this point. People who have MCs in their towns are gonna across the street to BB and get them to price match for one reason or another and the BBs are going to have to comply. The cost at which the manufacturer passes the TV along to the retailer can change over time, but I'd doubt much of the stock currently sitting in BBs is on their books at less than 2k. Makes you think... wait for 1k? But then again the 60F8500 has never been cheaper than that 1499 price. BB still sells THAT one for 2400.00!

Still. I'm all about value for the dollar. And it's going to be tough for even THIS wondrous piece of tech to beat my 550.00 Samsung 51F5300. I absolutely *LOVE* this TV, and we also have the aforementioned F8500 plus I've had Pro-141s and ZT60s. Don't care, the F5300, and probably the equivalent Panny model I don't remember anymore are *phenomenal*.

A couple of other things (sorry I'm reading this all out of order):

Someone mentioned that the advantages of the blacks in an OLED would only be notable in a completely dark room. This is, indeed, BS. There may not be a TON of light in the Magnolia room at Best Buy, but there's still plenty and when you step up to the LG you can clearly see the contrast advantage of this TV versus even the plasmas in the same room. It's not dramatic as to say the plasmas are in any way bad, but you can tell it's basically OFF and ON for the pixels in the LG.

Someone also mentioned that the 4k LG OLED will be 16k. Well at this rate, that means within a year who knows how much they'll de-value that one. And on that note, here's a fun bit of trivia for everyone... Remember the Sony XEL-1 11 inch OLED a few years ago? That bad boy was 2499 and had the older blue pixels. So 44 more inches is now 500.00 less :P .
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 05:34 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
Hell, I might pick up a few and throw em' on Ebay.
Don't be a loser. Leave them for other people.

However should you be unable to control yourself and buy several to flip let me be the first to say, "I hope you lose your shirt."
slacker711's Avatar slacker711 06:05 AM 06-18-2014
FWIW, it looks like Micro Center stores are getting new inventory. I know some of the NY stores were sold out a couple of days ago and they are now showing that they are back in stock.
Barrybud's Avatar Barrybud 06:37 AM 06-18-2014
tgm1024, Thanks for enlightening me!
vaktmestern's Avatar vaktmestern 06:52 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc44 View Post

Thanks!
No set way than to be carefull with black bars n static tings on the screen for a long while,
Im using sliders that all on avforum.uk are agains it seems.
5x10's Avatar 5x10 09:09 AM 06-18-2014
I previously mentioned that you needed a black room for this tv to pop
Then I realized I was on the "Eco" setting, switched to standard and it was much brighter(even had to turn the contrast down)
Eco setting is kindof dull in terms of brightness
Barrybud's Avatar Barrybud 09:45 AM 06-18-2014
I have been running mine on ISF 1 out of the box. Coming from a Pro calibrated plasma that one seemed the best for me for the initial break in. I also notice no stuck or dead sub pixels using the break in slides, so far.
I will get this one calibrated as well after several hundred hours.
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 09:52 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybud View Post
I have been running mine on ISF 1 out of the box. Coming from a Pro calibrated plasma that one seemed the best for me for the initial break in. I also notice no stuck or dead sub pixels using the break in slides, so far.
I will get this one calibrated as well after several hundred hours.
Welcome to the world of OLED. One area OLED shines is watching live night music concerts with lot of flashing lights. When I tried this with the Sony 900B large sections of the screen would light up, it failed miserable. Plasma and OLED just light each pixel perfect just like you are looking out a window.
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 09:59 AM 06-18-2014
Panel issue fixed? I hope to have fixed an issue with my panel where during white and grey backgrounds there was a heavy blue tint on the lower right half of the screen. I had to go into the 20 point IRE and set IRE 5 to -10 on blue and it seems to have fixed it. I will keep on watching, I do not want to exchange this set. So far so good.
mwiebelhaus's Avatar mwiebelhaus 10:09 AM 06-18-2014
I have had the 9800 I bought from Microcenter running for a few days now. Coming from my beloved Pioneer Elite plasma, I am mightily impressed. Black blacks right next to white whites. The enhanced contrast can really take your breath away given the right source material. I find no valid reason for the curve this unit has but I do have to say it is a surprising non-event when watching. My wife just loves the curve from a looks viewpoint. No buzz, which my Pioneer plasma did fairly badly. The energy usage and heat generation are way lower than a plasma as well. Overall, a true step up from my Pioneer.

I can find no pixel flaws or any other picture flaws so far. I am only watching full screen material for the time being and avoid any fixed images. I decided to use the picture settings from Sound and Vision's review of the unit for now. I found them a real improvement over the settings out of the box. They will work well until I can get my unit calibrated like my Pioneer was.

This units picture quality is worth the roughly $4k price it was at. At $2k, way too good a deal to pass up.
Playdrv4me's Avatar Playdrv4me 10:17 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Don't be a loser. Leave them for other people.

However should you be unable to control yourself and buy several to flip let me be the first to say, "I hope you lose your shirt."
Taking advantage of a good deal hardly makes me a loser. In fact, a few other people earlier in this thread mentioned the same thing. Thing is, from all the experience I have with Microcenter's arrangement with LG, these are not fleeting deals that are only around for a few days. Once an LG model goes into Microcenter, it tends to last for months. So it's not like they won't be getting more. The good thing is MC doesn't have a purchase limit, the bad thing is shipping TVs (since smart local buyers will probably figure out that MC is selling the TV at such a discount) is a PITA and not something I really want to bother with.

That said, having a few LG OLEDs lying around for less than some paid for one 6 months ago would hardly qualify as losing my shirt even if I didn't sell a single one (unlikely). I'd find a use for them.
Playdrv4me's Avatar Playdrv4me 10:23 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwiebelhaus View Post
I have had the 9800 I bought from Microcenter running for a few days now. Coming from my beloved Pioneer Elite plasma, I am mightily impressed. Black blacks right next to white whites. The enhanced contrast can really take your breath away given the right source material. I find no valid reason for the curve this unit has but I do have to say it is a surprising non-event when watching. My wife just loves the curve from a looks viewpoint. No buzz,,which my Pioneer plasma did fairly badly. The energy usage and heat generation are way lower than a plasma as well. Overall, a true step up from my Pioneer.

I can find no pixel flaws or any other picture flaws so far. I am only watching full screen material for the time being and avoid any fixed images. I decided to use the picture settings from Sound and Vision's review of the unit for now. I found them a real improvement over the settings out of the box. They will work well until I can get my unit calibrated like my Pioneer was.

This units picture quality is worth the roughly $4k price it was at. At $2k, way too good a deal to pass up.
For me, another major benefit is the weight. A 55 inch TV that weighs 38lb?? THAT is awesome after having that ridiculous Pioneer 141 whose namesake became accurate considering it weighed about 140lb with the stand.
sytech's Avatar sytech 10:32 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
For the price these are at, I bet LG is happy with sales.......It's a fist launch product.

Another HUGE note: You think this thread is active, lets move it to the LCD/LED section of AVS. Most people do not even know this thread exists. This thread is buried........
I know not many people agree, but they need to redo the sections. I think they should have a 4K section and a 2K section. They could move the dying Plasma section and replace it with a dedicated OLED section once it becomes a mass market product in a few years.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 10:34 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
That said, having a few LG OLEDs lying around for less than some paid for one 6 months ago would hardly qualify as losing my shirt even if I didn't sell a single one (unlikely). I'd find a use for them.
Try less than 4 months ago! It still burns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwiebelhaus View Post
For the goosebump-inducing moments it provides, some might say it's even worth $4600 or as much as $5k (March 2014 prices).
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 10:38 AM 06-18-2014
Does anyone know if the upcoming 77" is a flat screen or another curved screen?

I'm not a fan of curved screens and don't like what they do to the linearity of text scrolls on the bottom of the screen or room reflections. I'd bet this is just a passing fad, and based on what appears to be largely negative feedback, I'd expect companies like Samsung & LG will abandon this in a relatively short time.
Tags: Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
First ... 131  132  133 134  135  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop