LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4201 of 5199 Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Mine turns off randomly also, It will turn off then back on.
Never happend on my, and i been running it in with sliders for long hours at a time
vaktmestern is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4202 of 5199 Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Never happend on my, and i been running it in with sliders for long hours at a time
It might turn on and off when your not there.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4203 of 5199 Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Im always there not risking it
vaktmestern is online now  
post #4204 of 5199 Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Congrats

It was a great deal while it lasted, still a little confusing how it all went down
Yeah, I'm not sure I get it the more I think about it. Everyone at MC is either saying that it "came from corporate" OR that it came from LG. Technically, I don't think LG can force them to raise a price. It's no different than the myth when a jewelry store employee tells you they can't discount a Rolex because they'd lose their ability to carry the line or get some other kind of sanction for doing so. Technically, I believe that falls under price fixing laws.

So I'm not entirely sure it was a mistake, but I'm not entirely convinced LG didn't also have something to do with it. No one I've talked to ever said anything about "by mistake".
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #4205 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Newbie
 
sapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I do not know the language the video is in to confirm what you say he is saying. Your numbers sure do not add up. 6 hours per day would be 9.1 years if the set lifespan was 20,000 hrs. 4 hours per day would be 13.6 years.

I have heard on the low side 30,000. If you watched TV 8 hours per day this would give you 10.27 years to half life. This mean theoretically you can boost up the OLED power and contrast and keep going.

In 10 years I imagine 77" OLED 4K sets will be available for an affordable price and you will not be nursing your 55" to keep it going.
I wrote that (!quote!) representative of LG on the video, I'm not trying to mislead people and I still like to believe that OLED panel will last 100,000.
sapp is offline  
post #4206 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 02:36 AM
Newbie
 
sapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
That's not great, especially considering we don't know what that 20K hours represents. Is that 1/2 brightness, something between original and 1/2 brightness...not sure. At the 20K hour mark, what does the picture look like?

I wonder if that will change with the 77" model. I'm guessing that's not likely, but we'll have to wait to see what the claims are at that point.
Possible after the opening of the new plant 8G working time Lg Oled panels increase.
kateeva remember reported that in the years in 2017-2018 will produce OLED panels cheaper than today LED and TV will be work in excess of plasma panels (100, 000 hours)
sapp is offline  
post #4207 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I've been wondering....considering we types have the "average Joe's" misplaced interests cornered, and manufacturers do as well seeing as how they let tv's slip past QC with raging issues all the time, wouldn't it have benefited them a million fold to have put out a commercial for this tv, wherein the benefits of OLED are jazzed up all fancylike and summed up quickly withsome sort of tag line? I mean of course theyre not selling like hotcakes when nobody freaking knows what they are! I can picture thousands of people getting in their cars with their huge LCD 4ks and going to their spouses or friends: "hey, did you see that 55" 1080p tv for 4 thousand bucks???!!?! Haha, what is LG thinking!"

On another note the greyscale issue has really been bothering me lately. There's a few inces on the right of the panel that, ive counted, is exactly six brightness notches lower than the rest. I've been noticing crush quite a bit there recently. It's taken some time to narrow down what spot it was exactly but as my eyes begin to perceive infinite contrast as the only normalcy, it becomes increasingly more obvious to me, with no external evaluations, in the form of slides or what have you, taking place.

On a third note, how are all the many brand new owners doing with their shiny new sets?

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-21-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4208 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Got my oppo 103d
vaktmestern is online now  
post #4209 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 196
So far, I found LG's TV menu confusing to use. There seems not one place that you can set all HDMI settings together. I have not yet found out how to set things like RGB range, overscan or deep color etc. Although I tested 24p video from BD player, I don't feel there is any difference than 60p, probably due to the smooth video setting that was on by default. Anyone know what this TV can do with 24p signal?


On the bright side, I found the built-in Miracast function works better than my dedicated NetGear PTV3000 but oddly it is off by default. It can communicate with my new Sony A6000 camera via Miracast where my PTV3000 won't.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #4210 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
So far, I found LG's TV menu confusing to use. There seems not one place that you can set all HDMI settings together. I have not yet found out how to set things like RGB range, overscan or deep color etc. Although I tested 24p video from BD player, I don't feel there is any difference than 60p, probably due to the smooth video setting that was on by default. Anyone know what this TV can do with 24p signal?
I agree. Sony's menus are infinitely better. It's a labrynth with no shortcuts. However I think I've found most of the important stuff. Here's how you set rgb: Picture Option: Black Level. High=Full. Low=Limited. Bafflingly, there is no automatic.
Yappadappadu likes this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4211 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,727
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post
It could have been a joke by him. He did seem worried about what his boss would say. I was going to pass on this deal, but bought one because I do not think the prices will drop this low again anytime soon. I hope I am wrong though. Either way I can live with the 2k price.
But can you live with your $2k price if you know it cost someone their job?
Stereodude is online now  
post #4212 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Member
 
alston80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
But can you live with your $2k price if you know it cost someone their job?
I would be sad for dude, but I would get over it. I did not pressure him in any way. The salesperson may have though.

I know it's early, but I am going to calibrate this bad boy now. Right now my VT50 is killing this TV in picture quality, other than blacks of course.
alston80 is online now  
post #4213 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post
Thanks. I like it so far. I need to do a calibration asap though.

The salesperson said the price was so low because they bought them from LG at a really low price. He said they have a good relationship with LG, so they can get stuff for less. He also said something about them and LG working together since LG was a new company years ago. The manager did make a comment about this being his last night after having to mark down the price for me.
LG a new company? I remember buying my Lucky Goldstar 19" Color TV with remote control from Richway in the early 1980's.
sytech is offline  
post #4214 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Member
 
alston80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
LG a new company? I remember buying my Lucky Goldstar 19" Color TV with remote control from Richway in the early 1980's.
I'm just quoting the sales guy. I have no desire to fact check him.
alston80 is online now  
post #4215 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Jason626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: illinois
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post
I would be sad for dude, but I would get over it. I did not pressure him in any way. The salesperson may have though.

I know it's early, but I am going to calibrate this bad boy now. Right now my VT50 is killing this TV in picture quality, other than blacks of course.
I doubt this manager was let go over lg OLED tv. He probably was already leaving and just happens you were there on his last night.
Jason626 is offline  
post #4216 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Member
 
mikeg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Still loving the OLED. I would have bought two and replaced my Kuro 6010 if there was a 60" OLED. I'm using ISF1 with clear motion. My 19 year old son wouldn't even consider watching any FIFA soccer on the 60" Kuro. I'm on my way to return the $279 MC warranty. The Costco $89 warranty is the replacement. Last I checked my MC only sold 3 at $2k and rec'd 5 more this week.
5x10 likes this.
mikeg1 is offline  
post #4217 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
Still loving the OLED. I would have bought two and replaced my Kuro 6010 if there was a 60" OLED. I'm using ISF1 with clear motion. My 19 year old son wouldn't even consider watching any FIFA soccer on the 60" Kuro. I'm on my way to return the $279 MC warranty. The Costco $89 warranty is the replacement. Last I checked my MC only sold 3 at $2k and rec'd 5 more this week.
Costco will sell you a warranty on a tv, that wasn't purchased there?
5x10 is online now  
post #4218 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Member
 
mikeg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Costco will sell you a warranty on a tv, that wasn't purchased there?
Yes. A Square Trade warranty for five years.
mikeg1 is offline  
post #4219 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Member
 
aaronwalker1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What is everyone's take on break in slides? I searched the threads and couldn't get a consensus.
aaronwalker1974 is offline  
post #4220 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post
What is everyone's take on break in slides? I searched the threads and couldn't get a consensus.
Well my take that it wont hurt to use em as nobody knows how a oled acts or ages ... using em before my calibration ...
vaktmestern is online now  
post #4221 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Break it in. My panel is much more resilient to letterbox content as it ages.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4222 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
Still loving the OLED. I would have bought two and replaced my Kuro 6010 if there was a 60" OLED. I'm using ISF1 with clear motion. My 19 year old son wouldn't even consider watching any FIFA soccer on the 60" Kuro. I'm on my way to return the $279 MC warranty. The Costco $89 warranty is the replacement. Last I checked my MC only sold 3 at $2k and rec'd 5 more this week.
Finally got to see this LG last night, I was not WoWed as I hoped because they were showing the same HD feed on all tv's. A Baseball game. Although the picture was better than all LED's, I saw, I was expecting to see a little more improvement. The colours were more vibrant and crisper but not enough to WOW me. I wished they were showing the OLED demo to see what it can really do, but for regular content it was alright. But I'm sure once it's calibrated it would look awesome.
Why would your son not even consider watching the World Cup on a KURO? Have you watched it on the OLED? How is it with motion?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee

Last edited by Latinoheat; 06-21-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Latinoheat is offline  
post #4223 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Got my oppo 103d
Do you see a big difference?
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4224 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Nobody is going to get fired for selling these TVs at $2K. According to reports, they only sold 3000 world-wide last year and their 2014 goal is 100,000. There is no way that was gong to happen at current prices. I expect we'll see these "price mistakes" again throughout the year as they try to move inventory to meet their target.

I think what's most telling about the whole MC sale is that we now have a better idea of the crazy high margins on these TVs. 250%+ markup is just insane. It makes Apple products look like a bargain. Even the 60" Sharp Elite which was confirmed at $3200 BestBuy dealer cost never sold above the $6K msrp.

Maybe LG needed to offer dealers such a high incentive in order to make sure they would waste space and time selling such a low-volume product?
Wizziwig is offline  
post #4225 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 438
^^^ LOL, dealers make no where near 250%. That was a pricing error, I bet even at closeout time they will not be that low. Our cost was still over 3.5K during this whole ordeal. Now BB selling at full retail, they make some coin........... street pricing, forget about making a killing.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post
It could have been a joke by him. He did seem worried about what his boss would say. I was going to pass on this deal, but bought one because I do not think the prices will drop this low again anytime soon. I hope I am wrong though. Either way I can live with the 2k price.
I am thinking that was a pricing error and every time MC sold a unit they lost money..........

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 06-21-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4226 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
^^^ LOL, dealers make no where near 250%. That was a pricing error, I bet even at closeout time they will not be that low. Our cost was still over 3.5K during this whole ordeal. Now BB selling at full retail, they make some coin........... street pricing, forget about making a killing.
. I am thinking that was a pricing error and every time MC sold a unit they lost money..........
thanks for the dealer insight
Sounds like MC took a bath on every unit sold
5x10 is online now  
post #4227 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Finally got to see this LG last night, I was not WoWed as I hoped because they were showing the same HD feed on all tv's. A Baseball game. Although the picture was better than all LED's, I saw, I was expecting to see a little more improvement. The colours were more vibrant and crisper but not enough to WOW me. I wished they were showing the OLED demo to see what it can really do, but for regular content it was alright. But I'm sure once it's calibrated it would look awesome.
Why would your son not even consider watching the World Cup on a KURO? Have you watched it on the OLED? How is it with motion?
This is eclxactly how it was where I purchased it. A highly compressed baseball game on cable, which upon closer inspection was driven by component to all tv's. Overscan is also enabled by default (guys, don't forget to change "16.9" to "Just Scan"). Sigh, what a waste. Another way to sell less tvs. In fact it momentarily deterred me, but don't worry it isn't represrntitive of PQ from a good source. After all, you can't feed it sh*t and expect it to poop out gold.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4228 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Newbie
 
teamw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I get it in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
yeh the wall one can be bought without the speaker frame as a pure display.
Got the $1999 deal for my daughter, (therapy- her house just burned down! All OK). It is a great tv - 100 hours of regular viewing of games, movies, multiple sports, and standard tv so far with no bad pixels (close up exam, not slides), no blurring, no burn in, just amazing color and contrast. As promised by other owners here, "Gravity" in 3D is a great demonstration of it's abilities. TV is Jan 14 model.

But curved won't work for my custom setup above the mantel without spending more on modifications as hard as I tried to fit it in. So if anyone can point me a US dealer for the 8800 without speakers to replace my 55lm9600, please do. I'm leary of next year's prices, and am completely happy with this year's picture quality.
teamw2 is offline  
post #4229 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Do you see a big difference?
Seems cleaner but no massive diffrence darbee inbuild is more classy than the lill one i already got.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #4230 of 5199 Old 06-21-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamw2 View Post
Got the $1999 deal for my daughter, (therapy- her house just burned down! All OK). It is a great tv - 100 hours of regular viewing of games, movies, multiple sports, and standard tv so far with no bad pixels (close up exam, not slides), no blurring, no burn in, just amazing color and contrast. As promised by other owners here, "Gravity" in 3D is a great demonstration of it's abilities.
Nobody has ever reported a bad pixel with this set. They're sub pixels, you will only see them on solid, or close to solid, colors. Not that you have to look, because you definitely don't.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.

Last edited by Theplague13; 06-21-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Theplague13 is offline  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off