post #4261 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I find it pretty alarming that there is that much disparity,in the picture output, between sets
I believe the main setting are close but not the white balance. I have seen three sets close up and none are exactly the same. The first one had the DSE some describe, I have not seen later built sets.

One looked great on THX, my set now does not. This set has three green sub-pixels in a cluster bad. The others might have had some I never checked properly b4. Just make sure you have a good set. Go to you tube and run pixel tester, not pixel flipper and check all your colors. My blue and red are perfect, not one sub pixel out. Blue is important because of skylines, you do not want a cluster of blue sub pixels out at the top of the screen.

Every set has been amazing. The first set was the only non-keeper because I did see DSE during content. You would think they should be able to make each set identical, this seems not to be the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You know we have a lot of new users out there that got a great deal on this set and lurker's who are not posting that just bought as well.........

So what the heck do you guys think ???????

The best invention since sliced bread ?
I wish I never had seen one, it will ruin you. There is a part of me that would like a 78" Samsung, but I would miss the contrast and perfect blacks too much. Baseball is amazing on OLED, I imagine football will be also.
Rf13 likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-21-2014 at 04:29 PM.
post #4263 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
You know we have a lot of new users out there that got a great deal on this set and lurker's who are not posting that just bought as well.........

Best picture ever
tubby497 likes this.
post #4264 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

What do I think...?

I can't believe I own a 55" oled TV. The picture is insanely good and my prior TV was an 8G Kuro. I stopped by the Microcenter I bought it from today and it's now priced at $3999! And they are out of stock.

I stumbled on the $1999 deal by accident and am happy I didn't walk out of the store without it. Never thought I'd get to own this technology so soon.
5x10 likes this.
post #4265 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 05:37 PM

Having owned a plasma and recently intrigued by UHD, I really couldn't reconcile getting an led LCD TV. So I have held off upgrading. The holy grail has been absolute blacks for the ultimate potential in picture quality. Not the only capability, but certainly one of the most talked about and reviewed capabilites of each new panel regardless of tech or brand. That and a $1999 prce tag was all I needed to take the leap.

Last edited by kinglm; 06-21-2014 at 06:12 PM.
post #4266 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
^^^ LOL, dealers make no where near 250%. That was a pricing error, I bet even at closeout time they will not be that low. Our cost was still over 3.5K during this whole ordeal. Now BB selling at full retail, they make some coin........... street pricing, forget about making a killing.
. I am thinking that was a pricing error and every time MC sold a unit they lost money..........
Pricing error that lasted the better part of a week? Despite multiple people asking store reps why the price was this low and nobody bothering to check if it was an error?

I'm not doubting that your dealer price is higher. But for larger chains like BB, Fry's, or MC, they might have gotten a better deal from LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So in reading the review, I was very surprised to read the following:

"The gray-level uniformity, visible even marginally above black on a full-screen gray test pattern, was poor, marred by significant streaking. This was only occasionally visible on real program material, mostly in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. Still, it’s something that LG needs to fix. There were also some white non-uniformity issues, but they weren’t as serious as in the grays and no worse than what you’ll see in many otherwise good LCD sets."

Now with all the bickering that goes on about uniformity issues on LEDs, Tom Norton says the LG OLED uniformity issues are 'no worse than what you'll see in many otherwise good LCD sets'. HUH? Say what?

This is the first I've heard of this and would be curious to see if owners agree with this. Are you guys experiencing this? Is this another case of the 'panel lottery'? I knew about the full-screen gray streaking, that doesn't concern me that much.

I should add that Tom Norton is probably my favorite reviewer of displays, so I sit up and take notice when he says something like this.
Ken,

You really missed a lot. I would say look through the image gallery for this thread but that feature appears to have vanished. There were many pictures posted by owners of streaks and other dark patches when displaying near-black gray. There are also many images of the issue in various reviews like these:

http://hdguru.com/lg-55ea9800-oled-hdtv-reviewed/
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ea9...1312083487.htm
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/hdtv/...the-bench.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1 View Post
My MC had the price at $5k since mid day yesterday. The salesman said the price is back to $2K when he checked the computer when I was there to return the warranty. They wanted to price match the Costco warranty but couldn't because the OLED was sold to me below their cost. I sit 11.5 ft from the Kuro. Is 55" too small for 11.5ft viewing distance or but another way, is 65" too big? I'm ready to buy another OLED.
So your store is still selling for $2k? Looks like a few others are too because I noticed stock numbers declining or selling out within the past 24 hours. Maybe it's not too late for more folks to get in on the deal.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #4267 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
What do I think...?

I can't believe I own a 55" oled TV. The picture is insanely good and my prior TV was an 8G Kuro. I stopped by the Microcenter I bought it from today and it's now priced at $3999! And they are out of stock.

I stumbled on the $1999 deal by accident and am happy I didn't walk out of the store without it. Never thought I'd get to own this technology so soon.
You 2K buyers are so lucky
post #4268 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What do I think...?

I am very happy when someone who really appreciates what they purchased gets a good deal.
post #4269 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I thought I purchased my 65VT60 at a fantastic price ($2000) but I guess everyone here that lucked out on the MC deal got an absolute steal. My question:

How does the OLED compare to the last generation VT/ST/F8500 plasmas? I remember someone mentioning "No more dithering" ecstatically which makes me dream as that is one of my pet peeves with plasma technology. I also see posterization on my VT60 once in a while so I'm curious if anyone has seen any signs of it on the OLED at all. The other is overall video processing. I've never owned an LG set so I don't how well its previous sets did on 1080i and 720p content but how well are OTA/Cable/Satellite channels faring on the OLED?
post #4270 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Look on the last page and you'll see an impression and photo comparison with the F8500. I myself have made about 100 comparisons with the ZT. Greater brightness capability (seemingly less ABL to me, in spite of the findings at the UK shootout) and deeper blacks but blurrier motion (with all processing disabled, which is my preference, though I intend to try the middle ground settings recommended by Plague). Couldn't really ever see dithering from my seating distance, so that benefit is a bit lost to me. Posterization is down to the source and limited bit depth more than anything else (yes, you'll still see it).

Nevermind, I see you've already "liked" that post. I haven't watched any OTA/cable/satellite on mine as of yet (disconnected from said sources for the time being).
5x10 and tubby497 like this.

Last edited by vinnie97; 06-21-2014 at 07:11 PM.
post #4271 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Morning5, no I didn't see those reviews. But their observations seem pretty much akin to what I was saying.

I am surprised they didn't say anything about linearity issues on the LG since its screen is curved too and owners have mentioned it.

I wonder if the curve on the Samsung LEDs are more curved than the LG. At least from looking at the degree of curve on the LG, it somehow struck me as being somewhat more 'gentle'. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the links.
You are welcome.

Here is another link from CNET regarding the Samsung OLED: http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-kn55s9c/

"I want my flat OLED TV For a videophile with money to burn who doesn't mind a relatively small 55-inch size, the curved screen is a major fly in the ointment. It was definitely noticeable from the sweet spot at my seating distance of about 7 feet. The corners seemed wider than the middle, creating a subtle trapezoid effect that I found distracting compared to the flatter shape of the traditional screen. The horizontal edges bowed wider toward the edges too, creating a subtle "U" along the top edge and an inverted one along the bottom.
Another strange effect was that the roundness of the curve changed as I sat higher or lower relative to the screen. From my standard seating position, in an office chair watching the TV set atop a 2.5-foot stand, the bottom of the screen bent more noticeably than the top. From off-angle the distortions became even less equal."

I have not read about LG OLED owners reporting this trapezoid and "U" effects.

Last edited by Morning5; 06-21-2014 at 10:18 PM.
post #4272 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Here is one more, I liked the old set up for picture better? Anyone know how to post a full photo?
You have to use an image hosting site.

Pioneer KRP-500M (Tweaked) + Oppo BDP-103 + Mcintosh MX121/MC207/MPC1500
B&W 803D2/HTM2D/805D2 + JL Audio Fathom F112
post #4273 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

bigcoupe2003 and tubby497 like this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-21-2014 at 08:40 PM.
post #4274 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

tubby497 likes this.
post #4275 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 PM

I know it's curved because I bought a curved TV. I do not see a U or trapezoid when I watch content. A curved TV was not something I wanted. OLed was though. A tradeoff I could make given the benefits - PQ for the price. The curve is slight and as I discovered with this bit of info an interesting explanation of its benefits.

"The five-degree curve is supposed to correct for a phenomenon in human perception in which images seem to “drop off,” or degrade, toward the edges of a flat screen. The curve overcomes that problem, said Tim Alessi, director of new product development at LG."
Vegas oled likes this.
post #4276 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
You are welcome.

Here is another link from CNET: http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-kn55s9c/

I have not read about LG OLED owners reporting this trapezoid and "U" effects.
Because to us it is not an issue. I read some more complaints in the Sony 900b today about banding complaints. I refuse to Pyle on as the buyers remorse continues for some with the new Sony sets. Poor guy stated it ruined his Soccer game.

Morning5 is the same person who asked if the OLED had a scanning back light, he is only looking for trouble.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-21-2014 at 09:04 PM.
post #4277 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know it's curved because I bought a curved TV. I do not see a U or trapezoid when I watch content. A curved TV was not something I wanted. OLed was though. A tradeoff I could make given the benefits - PQ for the price. The curve is slight and as I discovered with this bit of info an interesting explanation of its benefits.

"The five-degree curve is supposed to correct for a phenomenon in human perception in which images seem to “drop off,” or degrade, toward the edges of a flat screen. The curve overcomes that problem, said Tim Alessi, director of new product development at LG."
You have to realize OLED Envy is spreading as more lucky owners leave LCD and find the truth.
tubby497 likes this.
post #4278 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

LG OLED has no problems with colors.

bigcoupe2003 likes this.
post #4279 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This morning the price went back down to 1999.99 for about 3 hours on MC's website. During the time I was able to go to MC as they opened and picked up two of these. The salesperson was pretty eager to change the price once I asked him about the TV.

Anyone have setting that they would recommend for usage?
post #4280 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkevin View Post
This morning the price went back down to 1999.99 for about 3 hours on MC's website. During the time I was able to go to MC as they opened and picked up two of these. The salesperson was pretty eager to change the price once I asked him about the TV.

Anyone have setting that they would recommend for usage?
Great to hear of more Winners getting on this true cutting edge technology, please share your opinions.
post #4281 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Best thing since sliced bread. Seriously though in have been playing the LCD panel lottery with sharp, lg, and samsung and this set blows it out of the water. I am one that obsessive over tv's and I feel like I have finally found the perfect set. To give you an example when I first mentioned to the wife that I wanted to get a new set she gave me the look of death. Then I showed her the set at the local MC and she told me to get it.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #4282 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Try this with your LCD.
post #4283 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
Picture option>tru motion

As for grey uniformity, it's probably more in line with the worst LCD's than the best I'd say. Of course there's one off's even for the best sets, but everybody seems to have similar experiences with the OLED.
That's too bad. How is the white uniformity? Is this like LED too as Tom Norton implied? From the viewing I've done in BBs and MC, they were not playing material where that would have been obvious.
post #4284 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 PM

White is fantastic, though some have seen a faint shade of pink in the corners/edges. The majority of defects manifest in those murky grays.

Man, it's getting a bit inquisitional in here.

Last edited by vinnie97; 06-21-2014 at 09:41 PM.
post #4285 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Yeah, white is perfect for me.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #4286 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
White is fantastic, though some have seen a faint shade of pink in the corners/edges. The majority of defects manifest in those murky grays.

Man, it's getting a bit inquisitional in here.
Ken has over 22,000 post he probably knows more about OLED than LG. He is just likes to cause trouble.
post #4287 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:52 PM

Yea, that's not what I was implying concerning the inquisition. It seems to be coming from the opposite direction at the moment.

Ken, like most of us, is just opinionated and is a little later than a few of us early adopters in beginning his research on the LG OLED product. You are free to disagree, but let's try to keep the personal 3rd degrees to a minimum, eh?

Last edited by vinnie97; 06-21-2014 at 09:56 PM.
post #4288 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's too bad. How is the white uniformity? Is this like LED too as Tom Norton implied? From the viewing I've done in BBs and MC, they were not playing material where that would have been obvious.
It looks nothing like this Ken. I think I should show everyone on the 900A page what I found with my 900B.
post #4289 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Ken,

You really missed a lot. I would say look through the image gallery for this thread but that feature appears to have vanished. There were many pictures posted by owners of streaks and other dark patches when displaying near-black gray. There are also many images of the issue in various reviews like these:

http://hdguru.com/lg-55ea9800-oled-hdtv-reviewed/
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ea9...1312083487.htm
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/hdtv/...the-bench.html
Wizziwig, thanks. Yes I arrived late to the party, but that was because the 55" HD display wasn't what I was looking for. But now that they're releasing a 77" 4K, at a price that may be quite a bit less than was originally thought, my interest has peaked.

However the more I'm reading and hearing, the more I'm learning of issues I wasn't aware of. The gray uniformity issues I've heard about, but I was not aware of white field uniformity issues too. Tom Norton's comment that they were akin to an LED, took me totally by surprise.

Now it also appears that OLED has a panel lottery issue like LED, but probably not as bad.

So I'm learning and trying to come up to speed on all of this.

Thanks for the links, I'll go through them tomorrow.

BTW, an amusing observation tonight. We went to see the Jersey Boys movie and the opening credits had a titling effect that could have easily been mistaken for blooming. I sat there amused, thinking how many would watch this on their displays thinking "oh my God, no, I've got blooming!!!!"
Yappadappadu likes this.
post #4290 of 5829 Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 136
There's too much good to see, to focus on some minute issues that might pop up, given the right content
This is an advancement in television viewing that neither plasma or LCD can match
Vegas oled likes this.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page