LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4591 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
Even the Directv guy putting in my new HD Dish at the time said he's never seen the HD picture signal look SO GOOD !, with the QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer on all the cable connections!...

BUT TALK IS CHEAP!...try it for yourself and see what you have been MISSING all this time....
A digital signal is 1's and 0's...it's either on or off, lol.
herpderp and Rf13 like this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4592 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Rf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
Even the Directv guy putting in my new HD Dish at the time said he's never seen the HD picture signal look SO GOOD !, with the QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer on all the cable connections!...

BUT TALK IS CHEAP!...try it for yourself and see what you have been MISSING all this time....
Well like the plague said it's either on or off. Hdmi cables sends bits of data and if you have a decent set you shouldn't need anything to further help them. Considering they already have silicon in them, second they have different features built in to lessen interference. You don't need another conductive material between the device and cable.
Rf13 is online now  
post #4593 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 349
lol what's up with people having Ks at the beginning of one of their names and snake oil?
mo949 is offline  
post #4594 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
Just try it and you can post your feedback here, more people should know about this!
Wasn't it you who posted that nonsense about the 1500 dollar hdmi cable a while back?
Stereodude and Rf13 like this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4595 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 02:55 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I smell placebo.
Stereodude, tgm1024 and Rf13 like this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4596 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,066
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
I smell placebo.
Which is a psychosomatic effect.

You've heard me rail on about this before: It's one of the reasons that I absolutely insist that the TV shootouts will be of very little value until they are at least single-blinded:
  1. You are not told which models will be present, and
  2. Every bezel is completely hidden with cardboard (or something similar).
The effects here are just too strong.
Theplague13 likes this.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #4597 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Which is a psychosomatic effect.
Aye, just like expectation bias (the equivalent of what you described two posts above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
You've heard me rail on about this before: It's one of the reasons that I absolutely insist that the TV shootouts will be of very little value until they are at least single-blinded:
  1. You are not told which models will be present, and
  2. Every bezel is completely hidden with cardboard (or something similar).
The effects here are just too strong.
I would like to see it...the practicality at this point just hasn't been great enough for any of the events. Is #1 really necessary? I'd think the hidden bezel should go far enough in obscuring identity. Also, as it was discussed before, if curved panels are involved, that makes for some expectation challenges (the educated crowd will outright know it's an OLED or edgelit LCD, and viewing angle and black level performance will seal the deal).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4598 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
If Vegas and I agree on something you know you're in the wrong.

Haha, no insult meant Vegas, truce

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4599 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
If Vegas and I agree on something you know you're in the wrong.

Haha, no insult meant Vegas, truce
No problem, if we all had the same opinions, there would be no reason for this Forum. I have learned things in the heat of disagreement and that is what this forum is for, sharing and learning from others.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4600 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
77' OLED if it actually ever comes out.
So much doubt. All signs point to it coming out. Buhlieve!
Vegas oled likes this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4601 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
We can sit here and talk about this stuff until we are blue in the face but that's not going prove anything...is it?

If this stuff was JUST snake oil then I wouldn't waste my time coming on this forum and telling you all about it!

Some of this stuff on the market is NOT snake oil!
You are making my afternoon, your defense of your point of view is hilarious. My own brother swears expensive HDMI cables make a HUGE difference with audio, I do not believe him either.
Vegas oled is online now  
post #4602 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LIVING.. In A "Live Concert" Everyday Now!!..
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
You are making my afternoon, your defense of your point of view is hilarious. My own brother swears expensive HDMI cables make a HUGE difference with audio, I do not believe him either.
I'm glad your having fun here!
Audio Karma is offline  
post #4603 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,066
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Aye, just like expectation bias (the equivalent of what you described two posts above.


I would like to see it...the practicality at this point just hasn't been great enough for any of the events. Is #1 really necessary? I'd think the hidden bezel should go far enough in obscuring identity. Also, as it was discussed before, if curved panels are involved, that makes for some expectation challenges (the educated crowd will outright know it's an OLED or edgelit LCD, and viewing angle and black level performance will seal the deal).
Vin, the reason I think that #1 is necessary is because it makes it ever less likely that someone will say to themselves "hmm....this is a semi-matte screen, and only two of the screens offered in the list have it like this", (and all other similar reactions). If they go in truly blind, (and even have duplicates of a couple models), then people wouldn't be able to mentally multiple-choice the options out in their heads.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #4604 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
It's a valid point. I hadn't thought of that not so insignificant detail.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4605 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,877
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
I smell placebo.
That our he's trolling us.
herpderp and Yappadappadu like this.
Stereodude is online now  
post #4606 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,967
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
That's good to hear about micro center
I ended up buying their extended warranty, with accidental screen breakage protection
Only issue is, it's about 50 minutes away and all work is done at the store
I too also like the quick speed of the apps/computer, much better than my 2011 and 2012 panny plasmas
Well if you crack the screen the unit is toast.......especially for $1999.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4607 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I watched another lb movie and went back to blu ray screen
I could see the faint line at the top, my wife couldn't(I'll try to get a pic next time)
I'm not sure if it's true ir, it's almost like a line that is ghosting, as the line appears to be brighter than the area on top or bottom of it

I turned the tv off, took a shower, came back and turned it back on, it was still on the blue blu ray screen and I couldn't see the line any more
I almost wonder if it's just my eyes
I had some ir on my plasma(mainly Huds and kill streaks on call of duty) and this isn't anywhere near the same thing as I could see the ir amongst most all colors or content(if I really focused)
5x10 is online now  
post #4608 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Im gnna run in the tv on lb movie as a uk avf user did with great result , havent seen one full 2hour one yet.
vaktmestern is offline  
post #4609 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I watched another lb movie and went back to blu ray screen
I could see the faint line at the top, my wife couldn't(I'll try to get a pic next time)
I'm not sure if it's true ir, it's almost like a line that is ghosting, as the line appears to be brighter than the area on top or bottom of it

I turned the tv off, took a shower, came back and turned it back on, it was still on the blue blu ray screen and I couldn't see the line any more
I almost wonder if it's just my eyes
I had some ir on my plasma(mainly Huds and kill streaks on call of duty) and this isn't anywhere near the same thing as I could see the ir amongst most all colors or content(if I really focused)
I think you may just be switching content before it becomes too extreme. The times I have to wash it away for longer than the duration of what I watched is when it's multiple movies in succession.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4610 of 5810 Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
So much doubt. All signs point to it coming out. Buhlieve!
Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.oled-info.com/lg-launches...77-oled-tvs-uk

Considering that the *55* launched at 15, then 10 and was 1080P, LG seems to be gouging a little less on the 65 inch 4k, and that's assuming that they launch it here at 10 grand US. It's entirely possible, and I've seen it where a company releases a product in the US and the UK at similar price-points despite the exchange rate.

Edit: Just checked and the UK version of the 55EA9800 debuted at GBP 8000, which is in line with the original 15k US price-point, but 10K for 65 inches and 4K is still not terrible for early adopters, and within a year we might be having this same discussion again.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 06-26-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #4611 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.oled-info.com/lg-launches...77-oled-tvs-uk

Considering that the *55* launched at 15, then 10 and was 1080P, LG seems to be gouging a little less on the 65 inch 4k, and that's assuming that they launch it here at 10 grand US. It's entirely possible, and I've seen it where a company releases a product in the US and the UK at similar price-points despite the exchange rate.

Edit: Just checked and the UK version of the 55EA9800 debuted at GBP 8000, which is in line with the original 15k US price-point, but 10K for 65 inches and 4K is still not terrible for early adopters, and within a year we might be having this same discussion again.
Man, progress in TV technology is incredible. 18 months ago I was considering buying a Philips Designline, 12 months ago I was so tempted to get a 4k from Sony, then 6 months ago the LG 55" OLED finally made me cave in.

At each moment the TV I was looking at seemed like the hotness. Now (soon) we'll have 65" 4k OLEDs. Crazy.
Playdrv4me likes this.
Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #4612 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Man, progress in TV technology is incredible. 18 months ago I was considering buying a Philips Designline, 12 months ago I was so tempted to get a 4k from Sony, then 6 months ago the LG 55" OLED finally made me cave in.

At each moment the TV I was looking at seemed like the hotness. Now (soon) we'll have 65" 4k OLEDs. Crazy.
Actually I think it's just 2013 that that seemed incredible, because it brought so many competing technologies to the table. Most displays have been steadily downgrading for years prior, or at the very least making marginal progress. If you bought an awesome tv in 2008 you would probably not be wowed by any recent displays save for OLED or when watching native 4k content.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4613 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
I think you may just be switching content before it becomes too extreme. The times I have to wash it away for longer than the duration of what I watched is when it's multiple movies in succession.
6 hours of straight lb movie right from the box(save the blue screen while ejecting and loading a new DVD)
And I realized that I was using standard mode, which out of the box, is 80 oled light and 100 contrast! Yikes
5x10 is online now  
post #4614 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Maybe 65" 4k oled next year when the price is little lower ... and dare i hope for 4k bd will ever come..
Hd tv test reported banding and ir on the 77" that was shown
vaktmestern is offline  
post #4615 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
6 hours of straight lb movie right from the box(save the blue screen while ejecting and loading a new DVD)
And I realized that I was using standard mode, which out of the box, is 80 oled light and 100 contrast! Yikes
I haven't the slightest clue why Vinnie and I mysteriously keep getting panels that exhibit IR then.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4616 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
I haven't the slightest clue why Vinnie and I mysteriously keep getting panels that exhibit IR then.
I'm not saying you didn't, I just don't know why I haven't
But, I haven't run any gray slides looking for it either, it might be there under the slides(I need to format my USB stick as my comp isn't recognizing it, to get slides to the tv)
5x10 is online now  
post #4617 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I havent run a full letterbar movie yet but been running the loop on wow disc , that has 2 short letterbar clips to ease it in. After calibration ill pass 500/600 hours n start to go longer n longer with letterbae movies like limey from avf did on his oled.
Theplague13 likes this.
vaktmestern is offline  
post #4618 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I'm not saying you didn't, I just don't know why I haven't
But, I haven't run any gray slides looking for it either, it might be there under the slides(I need to format my USB stick as my comp isn't recognizing it, to get slides to the tv)
I wasn't accusing you of saying I didn't, nor did I mean that as sarcasm. I'm being completely serious; I don't get the reason for such disparity among panels, especially those clearly manufactured within the same timeframe.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #4619 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
I havent run a full letterbar movie yet but been running the loop on wow disc , that has 2 short letterbar clips to ease it in. After calibration ill pass 500/600 hours n start to go longer n longer with letterbae movies like limey from avf did on his oled.
Where can I read on Limey?
Edit: I found it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
I wasn't accusing you of saying I didn't, nor did I mean that as sarcasm. I'm being completely serious; I don't get the reason for such disparity among panels, especially those clearly manufactured within the same timeframe.
Understood, thanks!

Last edited by 5x10; 06-27-2014 at 08:24 AM.
5x10 is online now  
post #4620 of 5810 Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I'm not saying you didn't, I just don't know why I haven't
But, I haven't run any gray slides looking for it either, it might be there under the slides(I need to format my USB stick as my comp isn't recognizing it, to get slides to the tv)
2.5mm hard drive bays for tv's would be a solid idea. Just keep your whole movie collection and all your porn **cough, cough** right inside the television.
5x10 likes this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off