post #4891 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
That's the text book definition of a burn-in.
i though burn in was a static logo that aged the phosphors more quickly
where, this is not a logo, just the middle of screen aging faster than the LB portion

its almost the opposite of burn in, unless you are saying the center portion of the screen has "burned in", which doesnt really make sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Burn-in is the result of uneven wear of phosphors. In the case of static logos, the white/bright portion will aged more quickly than rest. In the case of LB, the center of the screen are aged more quickly because the LB portions are not used at all. It is the same thing.

Not to be confused with the what we all saw so far of the LB temporary IR where the LB portion of the screen is actually darker than center screen, an indication that this is not the burn in.
post #4893 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
There are a few owners posted the same observations as mine while you were gone (welcome back BTW). I'd still like to proclaim that there is little or no evidence to support that running slides is necessary for this temporary IR.
Thanks! OK, that works for me.
post #4894 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
I'm looking at the Cleveland AV price today and thinking more & more about this set. But all this talk of IR has very worried since I watch quite a bit of letterboxed BluRay. Can any owners say that they have *no* IR, even after watching many hours of letterboxed movies?

Also, I watch a lot of NFL football on my TV. How is this TV with motion blur?
I have no IR, after hours of watching letterbox, probably close to 60/40 in terms of content watched(maybe 70/30, 30 being lb)
a member by the name of plague has shown a pic with some ir, although he even says it comes and goes, which to me, isnt true ir like i have on my plasma, and it seems to show itself more on gray colors
many members here report no IR, most issues I have seen are uneven gray uniformity, random reboots by the tv, and the members that have seen some evidence of IR

I saw it one time, stopped a LB movie, screen went to the blue blu ray players screen, I saw it on the top only, turned the tv off, came back about 10-15 mins later, turned it back on to the same blue screen and it was gone, sounds like a software issue with LG instead of a pixel issues with OLED
post #4895 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I have no IR, after hours of watching letterbox, probably close to 60/40 in terms of content watched(maybe 70/30, 30 being lb)
a member by the name of plague has shown a pic with some ir, although he even says it comes and goes, which to me, isnt true ir like i have on my plasma, and it seems to show itself more on gray colors
many members here report no IR, most issues I have seen are uneven gray uniformity, random reboots by the tv, and the members that have seen some evidence of IR

I saw it one time, stopped a LB movie, screen went to the blue blu ray players screen, I saw it on the top only, turned the tv off, came back about 10-15 mins later, turned it back on to the same blue screen and it was gone, sounds like a software issue with LG instead of a pixel issues with OLED
Have you watched any NFL football on the set? How is it for motion blur? The TV in my local Best Buy has LG's HD loop and one HD broadcast channel, The Food Network, so I haven't been able to see any real motion on it.
post #4896 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Well i missed this trix on its motion setting set the djudder n motion to 0 then the oled has 600lines motion without any added sope effects. vs off that makes it run at 300lines.

I had my on off ...
5x10 likes this.
post #4897 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
Have you watched any NFL football on the set? How is it for motion blur? The TV in my local Best Buy has LG's HD loop and one HD broadcast channel, The Food Network, so I haven't been able to see any real motion on it.
I didn't notice any motion blur in any sports I watched, but then again, I wasn't looking for it
Has motion blur been reported as an issue with oled?
Nfl looked awesome on it
I don't regret buying this tv one bit
mr. wally likes this.
post #4898 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 04:39 PM

^Yes...several reviews (along with the findings at the UK shootout) have shown it will exhibit some kind of motion blur inherently since the max it can display is 600p. The fast pixel response time coupled with the infinite CR seems to mask any downsides for the most part.

Thanks for that tip, vak. I hadn't realized it either.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #4899 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Hey there guys, haven't been on in a while, went to Canada for a week.

I don't know I'm seriously considering dropping the OLED lately. As time goes by I just see more DSE, blue subpixels failing, the permanent burn in that doesn't go away, nonuniformity issues, etc. I could try a new panel again but this is my second so I'm not feeling lucky. I just don't know what to do. Before I'm jumped on for "complaining", I can't just simply return it it isn't that simple. I need to prove to the retailer that it's defective, and then they'll let me use my EW to get something else, but I don't know what else I'd choose. I'm thinking about the EC9700, other than that the Sony XBRX950b looks like it will be fantastic in a month or two but its 8 g's so forget that. I don't think I have space for a projector.

It would appear as though most of the new members are happy and not experiencing any issues and I dont know what to make of that either. I love the PQ on this tv and wish I could keep it but sometimes I think that if I can get a FALD the blacks will be almost as good (in some cases better because where I see uneven grays when they should be black, the leds will be off, and itwill be 10 inches larger, with 4k, less reflective, less screen door effect, no worries about IR ever, flat and without those ugly stretched ripples, and 1-2 thousand bucks cheaper. When I think about it like that I think I was nuts....it's like if the source is 100% perfect it beats out every other tv in the world, but if not it's just dissappointing. And it's difficult to ignore the BI I have sometimes, depending on the colors.

To those asking about motion, it has blur but it's better than most lcds though nowhere even close to plasma
Ken Ross likes this.

Last edited by Theplague13; 07-09-2014 at 07:08 PM.
post #4900 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

I don't know I'm seriously considering dropping the OLED lately. As time goes by I just see more DSE, blue subpixels failing, the permanent burn in that doesn't go away, nonuniformity issues, etc. I could try a new panel again but this is my second so I'm not feeling lucky. I just don't know what to do. Before I'm jumped on for "complaining", I can't just simply return it it isn't that simple. I need to prove to the retailer that it's defective, and then they'll let me use my EW to get something else, but I don't know what else I'd choose. I'm thinking about the EC9700, other than that the Sony XBRX950b looks like it will be fantastic in a month or two but its 8 g's so forget that. I don't think I have space for a projector.

It would appear as though most of the new members are happy and not experiencing any issues and I dont know what to make of that either. I love the PQ on this tv and wish I could keep it but sometimes I think that if I can get a FALD the blacks will be almost as good (in some cases better because where I see uneven grays when they should be black, the leds will be off, and itwill be 10 inches larger, with 4k, less reflective, less screen door effect, no worries about IR ever, flat and without those ugly stretched ripples, and 1-2 thousand bucks cheaper. When I think about it like that I think I was nuts....it's like if the source is 100% perfect it beats out every other tv in the world, but if not it's just dissappointing. And it's difficult to ignore the BI I have sometimes, depending on the colors.

To those asking about motion, it has blur but it's better than most lcds though nowhere even close to plasma
You can always pick up a F8500 b4 they disappear. The pixels dying is a real concern,
post #4901 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sorry to hear it, how many hours on it now?
post #4902 of 7019 Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

A bit over 11 hundred

Also don't get me wrong, if I paid 2, or even 3 K, this would be an entirely different matter. I'd be thrilled with the set, so that's probably the reason for such disparity between my reaction and others. But as it is at 5,350 with tax, plus the EW which was 4 hundred putting the grand total at 5750, I'm pretty dissolusioned about why I made this choice...

Last edited by Theplague13; 07-09-2014 at 09:07 PM.
post #4903 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
A bit over 11 hundred

Also don't get me wrong, if I paid 2, or even 3 K, this would be an entirely different matter. I'd be thrilled with the set, so that's probably the reason for such disparity between my reaction and others. But as it is at 5,350 with tax, plus the EW which was 4 hundred putting the grand total at 5750, I'm pretty dissolusioned about why I made this choice...

well look at the bright side,

at least they haven't banned you from the forum

neflixis our nemesis
post #4904 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post
well look at the bright side,

at least they haven't banned you from the forum
Lol...they should try.
post #4905 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
A bit over 11 hundred

If you can get a refund instead of an exchange you might want to consider doing that and buying another OLED from a forum sponsor who just lowered the price down to close to $3K.
post #4906 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please guys, could you just quickly explain why this vinnie guy got banned? At least give me the justification that AVS is arguing. Did he overly criticize a particular manufacturer, or what?
post #4907 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzichrille View Post
Please guys, could you just quickly explain why this vinnie guy got banned? At least give me the justification that AVS is arguing. Did he overly criticize a particular manufacturer, or what?
Open discussion of infractions is not allowed in the forums.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #4908 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
If you can get a refund instead of an exchange you might want to consider doing that and buying another OLED from a forum sponsor who just lowered the price down to close to $3K.
That would be a great idea, unfortunately I've tried; the retailer has a strict no returns after 15 days for big box items. It's bull, but it is what it is. Maybe LG could do something for me if I pressed the issue? No idea; I don't like the idea of calling the manufacturer and throwing a fit though, that isn't my style. The EC9700 is looking good but I'm worried about 4k as people are speculating all the sets without hdmi 2.0 are going to be phazed out...and I'll have a few thousand bucks in store credit afterwards. A new pc, perhaps? All that just for the price of one tv.
post #4909 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
That would be a great idea, unfortunately I've tried; the retailer has a strict no returns after 15 days for big box items. It's bull, but it is what it is. Maybe LG could do something for me if I pressed the issue? No idea; I don't like the idea of calling the manufacturer and throwing a fit though, that isn't my style. The EC9700 is looking good but I'm worried about 4k as people are speculating all the sets without hdmi 2.0 are going to be phazed out...and I'll have a few thousand bucks in store credit afterwards. A new pc, perhaps? All that just for the price of one tv.
It's obvious you have a faulty panel, no one else is having the same issues.

Why haven't you called LG and explained your panel is failing?

-SiGGy
post #4910 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
It's obvious you have a faulty panel, no one else is having the same issues.

Why haven't you called LG and explained your panel is failing?
Because my first panel exhibited the exact same issues, but it's definitely still on the table. I may either try for another panel or just exchange it when the 2014's come out. I got one panel replacement already, and sent the first set back due to dead subpixels making three panels, so I'm really not confident things will be much different. Coopson experienced these issues, also on two different sets, but he decided within the UK's "return anything within X amount of days" law to go the projector route, which I don't have the privelige of. Vinnie too, though he's not flustered anymore because it's not his primary set. Though I do seem to be the only one whose reported actual burn in (and I've got no idea where it came from, it isn't in line with a standard letterbox bar).
post #4911 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Because my first panel exhibited the exact same issues, but it's definitely still on the table. I may either try for another panel or just exchange it when the 2014's come out. I got one panel replacement already, and sent the first set back due to dead subpixels making three panels, so I'm really not confident things will be much different. Coopson experienced these issues, also on two different sets, but he decided within the UK's "return anything within X amount of days" law to go the projector route, which I don't have the privelige of. Vinnie too, though he's not flustered anymore because it's not his primary set.
Did LG do the 1st swap or the seller?

Check your PM

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-10-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #4912 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Add to HDMI 2.0 the fact that you will need HDCP 2.2 also. Based upon what is available for 2014 AVRs so far you can get Denon and Yamaha (for example) with full HDMI (18.2 gbit) latter this year but without HDCP 2.2 or you can get an Onkyo with HDCP 2.2 but with only HDMI 2.0 Lite (4:2:0 color space on HDMI 1.4). Seems fully compatible chips are not yet available. What a cluster @#ck.
post #4913 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Because my first panel exhibited the exact same issues, but it's definitely still on the table. I may either try for another panel or just exchange it when the 2014's come out. I got one panel replacement already, and sent the first set back due to dead subpixels making three panels, so I'm really not confident things will be much different. Coopson experienced these issues, also on two different sets, but he decided within the UK's "return anything within X amount of days" law to go the projector route, which I don't have the privelige of. Vinnie too, though he's not flustered anymore because it's not his primary set. Though I do seem to be the only one whose reported actual burn in (and I've got no idea where it came from, it isn't in line with a standard letterbox bar).
My primary display is irking me now with its incessant IR presence, so I could be in your shoes/boat soon.
post #4914 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
My primary display is irking me now with its incessant IR presence, so I could be in your shoes/boat soon.
Odd that two independent flagships have similar problems. Where's the world coming to?
post #4915 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 04:58 PM

It always pays to remember, though, that we are the nitpickiest of the nitpickers! The perfect display continues to allude. The problem is not visible to me 90% or more of the time, but it's that awareness and <10% that keeps nagging at one's OCD-riddled psyche. And for the price these beasts command, I don't think anyone needs to apologize for picking them apart.
post #4916 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And for the price these beasts command
Past tense now, with the price drops they are reasonable now. Still $$ but not crazy.

-SiGGy
post #4917 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 PM

I was referring to both the flagship plasma (ZT60) and these OLEDs. I didn't get in on the ground floor on the latter but paid more than enough. Plague has the most accumulated hours out of all of us so far (I'm only halfway there), so I'll certainly be keeping a watchful eye on the pixel situation as I hit that 1000-hour watermark.
post #4918 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
It always pays to remember, though, that we are the nitpickiest of the nitpickers! The perfect display continues to allude. The problem is not visible to me 90% or more of the time, but it's that awareness and <10% that keeps nagging at one's OCD-riddled psyche. And for the price these beasts command, I don't think anyone needs to apologize for picking them apart.
Just like when someone Sales Person showed me what dot crawl was and why I needed a 3D comb filter years ago, that's all I could see after that was crawling dots. This forum teaches us more than is healthy. I would have never checked sub-pixels if not for reading about it hear. If I asked my Wife, do you see that banding? She would think I was crazy. My own brother thinks I am obsessed, all he sees with any decent 1080P set is a great picture, I wish I was like that it would be much less expensive.
post #4919 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Can anybody share the link to the LG OLED extended warranty? All this talk about issue and replacement sets makes me rethink the Costco ST warranty
post #4920 of 7019 Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Open discussion of infractions is not allowed in the forums.
Learn something new everyday. I think if you provided a link or quoted the rules pertaining to infractions that it might be more helpful and preventative in the future as his question seemed legitimate enough without prior knowledge of this rule and is bound to get asked. I'm sure I'd learn some more new ones from seeing the link as well. I searched after seeing your post and I couldn't find them?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread