LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5101 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
That's ABL. Plasmas also do that.
this, automatic brightness limiter (thats my guess on what it means)

you will see that when the majority of your screen is white, but it will not be present on letterbox movies or mixed content
on another forum, there is a guy going into the service menu to see if he can alter ABL as he says its changes the colors/gamma when its on/off

i do think mine is progressively getting more yellow or that i am more aware of it now
i need to view it on white slides over time to see if its getting worse
during content viewing, some scenes look yellow but then i switch to standard or vivid mode and its gone, so i know some of it is from the settings themselves(custom isf2)

Last edited by 5x10; 07-25-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
this, automatic brightness limiter (thats my guess on what it means)

you will see that when the majority of your screen is white, but it will not be present on letterbox movies or mixed content
on another forum, there is a guy going into the service menu to see if he can alter ABL as he says its changes the colors/gamma when its on/off

i do think mine is progressively getting more yellow or that i am more aware of it now
i need to view it on white slides over time to see if its getting worse
during content viewing, some scenes look yellow but then i switch to standard or vivid mode and its gone, so i know some of it is from the settings themselves(custom isf2)
Thanks guys. The ABL makes perfect sense. It doesn't really bother me like the yellow tint does. Even though I got this TV at a great price, I can't help but let my OCD surface on it. It would be nice to hear some feedback from other owners on if they see it and what their hour usage is at. Mine is currently at 180 hours.

post #5103 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3284 Post(s)
Liked: 3142
Quote:
Is the yellow getting worse with time?
So is this the result of uneven pixel wear?
post #5104 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So is this the result of uneven pixel wear?
i doubt it, need to establish that it is happening first, then try to diagnose

i wasnt aware of the yellowing until someone pointed it out, then i had to go and look at an angle to see it
straight on, its not present on my set, which would lead me to believe it has nothing to do with uneven aging as I would think it would be present from any angle

edit: found my usb with slides, put the white one up, and im not seeing any changes on mine. white from the front with some yellow dimming from the side

jewdaddy, do you have any slides you can reference to see if your seeing the yellow from the front? Im pretty sure there is a youtube vide of an all white screen for you to check with

Last edited by 5x10; 07-25-2014 at 10:51 AM.
post #5105 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
I'm starting to think I might possibly have a bad panel. And yes, I'm one of the lucky MC buyers. Can some of you guys test the viewing angle on this? The closer I walk up to the tv or the further to one of the sides I go, the picture starts to turn yellow. It's especially noticeable on white colors. Luckily it doesn't affect the black levels at all, they're still completely black, but everything else starts to get a yellow tint. Is this normal??? I thought one of the main benefits of OLED is the near perfect viewing angles. Maybe my expectations are just too high but I want to make sure I don't have a defective panel.

Thanks
it is normal and we discussed it a while back. Also noted by reviewers.
Is this unique to LG's WOLED implementation, or do Samsung's RGB panels have the same issue?
post #5106 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Don't have the chance to view Samsung's now discontinued OLED TV. Unlike LG, Samsung no longer manufactures any new OLED TVs.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
post #5107 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i doubt it, need to establish that it is happening first, then try to diagnose

i wasnt aware of the yellowing until someone pointed it out, then i had to go and look at an angle to see it
straight on, its not present on my set, which would lead me to believe it has nothing to do with uneven aging as I would think it would be present from any angle

edit: found my usb with slides, put the white one up, and im not seeing any changes on mine. white from the front with some yellow dimming from the side

jewdaddy, do you have any slides you can reference to see if your seeing the yellow from the front? Im pretty sure there is a youtube vide of an all white screen for you to check with

Here's a screenshot of the LG with an all white screen on YouTube. For the most part, it's uniformly white from straight on. Not sure if its visible in the picture but can you see the yellow push on the left side that I was mentioning? Should I be concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5108 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
5x10 or anyone else, are you experiencing the random turnoffs? I'll be watching tv and the screen will go black, turn off (I hear the click), then turn back on.

It's happened twice tonight, and it happened a couple times the other night. I got the firmware today and thought that might fix it, and a few minutes later it rebooted itself again.

Love my LG, but this worries me a bit.
post #5109 of 7341 Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here's a screenshot of the LG with an all white screen on YouTube. For the most part, it's uniformly white from straight on. Not sure if its visible in the picture but can you see the yellow push on the left side that I was mentioning? Should I be concerned?

Mine is also like that, didn't notice it earlier, will post pics later

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rhythm View Post
5x10 or anyone else, are you experiencing the random turnoffs? I'll be watching tv and the screen will go black, turn off (I hear the click), then turn back on.

It's happened twice tonight, and it happened a couple times the other night. I got the firmware today and thought that might fix it, and a few minutes later it rebooted itself again.

Love my LG, but this worries me a bit.
Hasn't happened in a while
post #5110 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
900hours on my Oled now... feel im ready for calibration
That's a lot of hours, I guess you are liking it.......
vaktmestern likes this.
post #5111 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

See the light yellowing on the left hand side?

I watched some content after noticing it and saw it on one scene, where the left was very light in color, most colors are too strong and wash it out

Last edited by 5x10; 07-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.
post #5112 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
I wonder if the process of actually curving an otherwise flat panel makes this worse.

What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Out of oil.
post #5113 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

I decided to take my LG back to Micro Center and have them exchange it for different one. They gave me no problems as soon as I showed them the picture of what it was doing with the yellow tent on the left side. Once I get it hooked back up, I'll put a white slide on the display and see if I notice the same problem. I'll post pictures of my findings.

post #5114 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Frys is matching Amazon today, not the $2k deal but not bad. I don't have the yellow issue on my panel but had on a previous one.
post #5115 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I decided to take my LG back to Micro Center and have them exchange it for different one. They gave me no problems as soon as I showed them the picture of what it was doing with the yellow tent on the left side. Once I get it hooked back up, I'll put a white slide on the display and see if I notice the same problem. I'll post pictures of my findings.
Nice, it will be good to see if this is something that is set dependent or progresses over time
I'm tempted to wait until the old inventory is gone and try to get a new model
post #5116 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Frys is matching Amazon today, not the $2k deal but not bad. I don't have the yellow issue on my panel but had on a previous one.
In Chad's review of the EA9800, he docked it a few points for a slight yellow-push when viewing off-angle. He is treating it as an intrinsic limitation of the product and not a panel-to-panel variation. I'm not sure if anyone knows what the cause of this is in terms of the technology (related to the color filter layer?) but the curve is only going to make it worse.

Will be interesting to know if the Gen-2 sets demonstrate the same effect.

Link to Chad's review of the EA9800: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...#post_23909622

"White field uniformity was excellent, with no visible changes across the screen. Black uniformity was not an issue since black was totally dark. Off axis, whites take on a more off white, yellowish tone, but otherwise the picture appears to have no change. Images are perfectly watchable at extreme off axis angles, though with the curved screen and white balance shift giving a distinctive character."

Last edited by fafrd; 07-26-2014 at 10:38 AM.
post #5117 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Interestingly LG is the supplier of iMac LCD screens which have a similar yellowing issue. The issue has been widely reported and I have experienced it first hand.
post #5118 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post
Interestingly LG is the supplier of iMac LCD screens which have a similar yellowing issue. The issue has been widely reported and I have experienced it first hand.

Even if an LCD and an OLED both show a similar off-axis yellowing issue, I would not assume that the causes are related.

In the case of LCD, the basis for off-axis limitations are pretty well understood and associated with the fact that the backplane is behind the LCD layer (which is behind the color filters) and the LCD layer acts like a light channel through which light looks best when viewed head-on and does not have an equal intensity in all directions.

One of the major advantages of emissive display technologies like OLED is supposed to be fantastic off-angle viewing performance - since the light is emitted right at the image plane, it should have equivalent intensity at pretty much any viewing angle.

Yellow is the absence of blue, so it sounds like at off-angle viewing positions, the intensity of blue light is reduced with respect to the intensity of yellow light. The LG white OLED layer is composed of yellow+blue stacked layers, so I wonder if that has anything to do with this effect.

From Chad's review, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it is the one area where Plasma remains clearly superior to WOLED and the curved screen is only going to make it worse.
post #5119 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Yellow is the absence of blue, so it sounds like at off-angle viewing positions, the intensity of blue light is reduced with respect to the intensity of yellow light. The LG white OLED layer is composed of yellow+blue stacked layers, so I wonder if that has anything to do with this effect.
I've been wondering for a while now if this isn't related to the single sheet of OLED material (per OLED layer) that LG employs. I can conceive of a kind of emission scatter that emits through these layers at odd angles.

I wonder if the Samsung RGB standard stripe OLEDs have this. FWIW, AFAICT my Samsung Galaxy Note II OLED does not.

Out of oil.
post #5120 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That's a lot of hours, I guess you are liking it.......
Mostly sliders and other full screen patterns to "run" it in before calibration, but yes do like it and hofully a 4k 65" one next.
post #5121 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
In Chad's review of the EA9800, he docked it a few points for a slight yellow-push when viewing off-angle. He is treating it as an intrinsic limitation of the product and not a panel-to-panel variation. I'm not sure if anyone knows what the cause of this is in terms of the technology (related to the color filter layer?) but the curve is only going to make it worse.

Will be interesting to know if the Gen-2 sets demonstrate the same effect.

Link to Chad's review of the EA9800: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...#post_23909622

"White field uniformity was excellent, with no visible changes across the screen. Black uniformity was not an issue since black was totally dark. Off axis, whites take on a more off white, yellowish tone, but otherwise the picture appears to have no change. Images are perfectly watchable at extreme off axis angles, though with the curved screen and white balance shift giving a distinctive character."
My 1st set had a worse issue where as the white and grey scales would have a red/ blue tint on the sides. This was very noticeable when watching a black & movie, the color balance was not even. I am not worried about the yellow thing that is something I have to try and find. I am more concerned with the things that jump out at me and say "look set me", My OCD is bad enough to add to it. One thing about LG OLED sets is no two sets are alike.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-26-2014 at 11:13 AM.
post #5122 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My 1st set had a worse issue where as the white and grey scales would have a red/ blue tint on the sides. This was very noticeable when watching a black & movie, the color balance was not even. I am not worried about the yellow thing that is something I have to try and find. I am more concerned with the things that jump out at me and say "look set me", My OCD is bad enough to add to it. One thing about LG OLED sets is no two sets are alike.

That's not good and will be a recipe for disaster if it is not corrected by Gen 2. All of the Gen-1 WOLEDs were produced on the pilot line, meaning production was interspersed with that of other products. The M2 manufacturing line will be dedicated to WOLED TVs, so consistency should be significantly better.
post #5123 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I've been wondering for a while now if this isn't related to the single sheet of OLED material (per OLED layer) that LG employs. I can conceive of a kind of emission scatter that emits through these layers at odd angles.

I wonder if the Samsung RGB standard stripe OLEDs have this. FWIW, AFAICT my Samsung Galaxy Note II OLED does not.
In the case of the Samsung OLED technology, different OLED layers for red-alone, green-alone, and blue-alone are deposited right at the outermost layer (the position of the color filters on an LCD).So the light generated is always chromatically pure and emitted right from the surface of the image plane. I would suspect that this would offer the best off-axis performance and you are confirming it for your Galaxy Note II OLED.

In the case of LCD, light is generated below the IGZO layer, then has to travel through the liquid crystal layer and the color filter layer before emitting, so intensity cannot be uniform in all directions. For an exaggerated example, a shotgun cannot shoot an equal number of pellets in all directions - it must have a 'cone'

Yellow push implies loss of blue, and the LG WOLED layers are composed of yellow and blue OLED layers. The white light which is generated has to pass through color filters, so it some sense, it is 'in between' an LCD and a pure surface-emitting OLED like the Samsung. If either the blue light is generated further back from the image plane than the yellow light (IGZO then blue then yellow then color filters) or if the effect generating blue light after yellow light has been generated (IGZO then yellow then blue then color filters) results in blue light which is more columnated than the yellow light, either of these could explain a yellow push when viewing off-angle.

I've been somewhat surprised to see all the naysayers regarding LGs WOLED technology versus the more 'perfect' emissive OLED technology of Samsung, but maybe this is the basis for that.

In some sense, LGs WOLED technology will have much, much better off-angle viewing performance than LCD, but will never be 100% as good as a 'perfect' emissive technology such as plasma or Samsung striped-RGB OLED.

Panel-to-panel variation is hard to explain and hopefully disappears with the Gen-2 WOLEDs being manufactured n the dedicated M2 line. And this issue seems to be subtle enough that I doubt it is a deal-breaker in any case (though it is a further reason that I object to the curved screen, which will turn a mild off-axis color-push into a nonuniformity issue which could be more noticable).
post #5124 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
That's not good and will be a recipe for disaster if it is not corrected by Gen 2. All of the Gen-1 WOLEDs were produced on the pilot line, meaning production was interspersed with that of other products. The M2 manufacturing line will be dedicated to WOLED TVs, so consistency should be significantly better.
Just like any panel, you need to get a good one. After all the complaining about curves nobody ran out to buy the flat one? I have no problem with the curve, I am used to it

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.
post #5125 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just like any panel, you need to get a good one. After all the complaining about curves nobody ran out to buy the flat one? I have no problem with the curve, I am used to it

I'd rather have a product that is consistent across panels with a curve, than a product with a flat panel but such sever panel-to-panel variation that buying the product constitutes a 'panel lottery' with all of the hassle and disruption that entails. I also believe LG will be more successful with the former rather than the latter. As they say, 'you get one chance to make a first impression.'

Of course, product with a panel that is both consistent and flat would be my preference (as well as other, it seems), but there are no signs that LG is listening...
post #5126 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I'd rather have a product that is consistent across panels with a curve, than a product with a flat panel but such sever panel-to-panel variation that buying the product constitutes a 'panel lottery' with all of the hassle and disruption that entails. I also believe LG will be more successful with the former rather than the latter. As they say, 'you get one chance to make a first impression.'

Of course, product with a panel that is both consistent and flat would be my preference (as well as other, it seems), but there are no signs that LG is listening...
Although no panel is the same with LG there is not one LG OLED that would not blow the pants off any led, even 4k in picture quality. The led sets have been out for over a decade and the panel lottery continues with it also.
Just read the 900B and 950B pages or any other manufacture
post #5127 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Got my new panel hooked up and ready to go. The manufacture date is Feb 2014 and my last one was March 2014. I ran the white YouTube slide again and the yellow tint is still there on the left side but not as bad as my previous panel. That's not to say it won't get worse with more hours which is what I'm afraid of. I'm glad I bought the warranty from Micro Center because they didn't give me any trouble exchanging it. If the picture stays the way it is, I will be very happy with no complaints.

The off angle yellow is not as extreme either and I feel like the yellowish tint to the entire picture no matter what settings I was using is now gone. I'll keep my fingers crossed that after 100 hours, the picture will still look as beautiful as it does now. Honestly, it really is nitpicking because everything else about this tv is amazing. I still can't get over the black levels and how perfect they stay no matter what angle you view them from. If I would have paid the original asking price of $16,000 or $8,000, I would expect perfection. But, the Microcenter deal I scored makes almost any issue I could find easy to overlook.

fafrd likes this.

post #5128 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Got my new panel hooked up and ready to go. The manufacture date is Feb 2014 and my last one was March 2014. I ran the white YouTube slide again and the yellow tint is still there on the left side but not as bad as my previous panel. That's not to say it won't get worse with more hours which is what I'm afraid of. I'm glad I bought the warranty from Micro Center because they didn't give me any trouble exchanging it. If the picture stays the way it is, I will be very happy with no complaints.

The off angle yellow is not as extreme either and I feel like the yellowish tint to the entire picture no matter what settings I was using is now gone. I'll keep my fingers crossed that after 100 hours, the picture will still look as beautiful as it does now. Honestly, it really is nitpicking because everything else about this tv is amazing. I still can't get over the black levels and how perfect they stay no matter what angle you view them from. If I would have paid the original asking price of $16,000 or $8,000, I would expect perfection. But, the Microcenter deal I scored makes almost any issue I could find easy to overlook.

I think we just found an OLED owner more picky than me, Lol.
JewDaddy likes this.
post #5129 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

You have no idea!!!!! Lol

post #5130 of 7341 Old 07-26-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In the case of the Samsung OLED technology, different OLED layers for red-alone, green-alone, and blue-alone are deposited right at the outermost layer (the position of the color filters on an LCD).So the light generated is always chromatically pure and emitted right from the surface of the image plane. I would suspect that this would offer the best off-axis performance and you are confirming it for your Galaxy Note II OLED.
Sure, of course; that's what I'm saying. In the LG case, my guessing for the yellow off-axis tint would go as follows: If you look at how the OLED "sheets" are set up, it conceivable to me that the bottom (blue) layer can leak electrons laterally if the bottom anode or very top cathode (or vice versa) of the neighboring subs contain residual charge (which they might have to). This would cause the single blue to excite excess yellow layers by scattering electrons diagonally in a way that's only visible when looking at it "laterally". Huge guess upon guess, but not having seen the effect myself it's the best I got.

BTW, I think "push" might be the wrong word here for excess yellow emission, but I'm not sure. I've seen a calibrator or two point out that push is more complicated than mere color shifts and bias.

Out of oil.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page