post #5191 of 5198 Old Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

i do lol when Ken ross comes in a thread and says " oh wow, lg states only 1 hour at a time to prevent burn in. what a shame" when he fails to see that LG also says the 1 hour about plasma and 2 hours for lcd
i do wonder if there are alterior motives for posting something like that, considering that ken seems pretty up to speed on tv tech
No, actually it was and is a very honest concern for a tech I'm seriously considering. If you take LG's stated hour limits, they are saying that OLED is twice as susceptible to IR or burn-in as plasma.

Personally, that's a concern I must take into account in the purchasing decision. My wife would not appreciate me 'cleaning the screen' after every movie.

Some of you guys need to be a little less defensive and a bit more objective about the concerns expressed by prospective owners. We are genuinely interested or wouldn't be wasting our time here.

BTW 5x10, I'm not as up on OLED tech as I should be. Yet another reason I'm here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5198 Old Today, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
No, actually it was and is a very honest concern for a tech I'm seriously considering. If you take LG's stated hour limits, they are saying that OLED is twice as susceptible to IR or burn-in as plasma.

Personally, that's a concern I must take into account in the purchasing decision. My wife would not appreciate me 'cleaning the screen' after every movie.

Some of you guys need to be a little less defensive and a bit more objective about the concerns expressed by prospective owners. We are genuinely interested or wouldn't be wasting our time here.

BTW 5x10, I'm not as up on OLED tech as I should be. Yet another reason I'm here.
actually, oled and plasma both have 1 hour time frames
and lcd has 2 hours
so plasma and oled is twice as susceptible to IR when compared to LCD, but I also have to take that with a grain of salt as they are saying no more than 2 hours for LCD
thats just plain crazy

Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV

screen for a long period of time (2 or more

hours for LCD, 1 or more hours for the

Plasma TV) to prevent image burn.

Ken, take off your LCD glasses when reading the above
i kid, i kid

Last edited by 5x10; Today at 01:27 PM.
post #5193 of 5198 Old Today, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
With you Ken I do believe you are just doing extremely analytical research. I do believe you will one day own a 77" OLED.
And if you subsidize 50% of the price, the odds of that happening will increase dramatically.

Seriously, the price, whenever it's announced, will be a major factor.
post #5194 of 5198 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
and lcd has 2 hours
so plasma and oled is twice as susceptible to IR when compared to LCD, but I also have to take that with a grain of salt as they are saying no more than 2 hours for LCD
thats just plain crazy

Ken, take off your LCD glasses when reading the above
i kid, i kid

Ah, OK, I stand corrected. Hopefully they're being super conservative for all the techs mentioned.
post #5195 of 5198 Old Today, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
and lcd has 2 hours
thats just plain crazy

Plasma had a susceptibility to IR that was a significant disadvantage versus the easier 'care and feeding' requirements of LED/LCD and which contributed to it's ultimate demise.

LED/LCD has no susceptibility to IR regardless of any warning LG may print in their manuals - it's a bullet-proof 'set-it-and-forget-it' technology that is more consumer friendly than plasma and that contributed to the world dominant position it finds itself in now.

OLED does not have to be as consumer friendly as LED/LCD to succeed, but if suffers from visible IR after watching a full letterbox movie or two, I'm afraid its doomed to the same fate as plasma.

Let's hope that LG is just being overly-cautious with their printed materials and that each generation of WOLED delivers a TV technology that is closer and closer to LED/LCD than Plasma when it comes to IR...
5x10 likes this.
post #5196 of 5198 Unread Today, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Ah, OK, I stand corrected. Hopefully they're being super conservative for all the techs mentioned.
theres no hoping on my end, i know for a fact that i will not get burn in, from leaving a vivid image on a lcd, for 2 hours

the worry on OLED, for me, is, how long does it take for it to get burn in
i wish LG could publish some findings from their end, you would think they have tested these sets and know some time frames to help avoid
post #5197 of 5198 Unread Today, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
With you Ken I do believe you are just doing extremely analytical research. I do believe you will one day own a 77" OLED.
Spend some serious time in the oled advancements thread and you'll have a better appreciation for how hard some of us have been trying to dig up the technology (manufacturing problems, electronics, patents, physics, etc) involved in OLED displays. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-flat-panels-general-oled-technology/681125-oled-tvs-technology-advancements-thread-264.html
post #5198 of 5198 Unread Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
theres no hoping on my end, i know for a fact that i will not get burn in, from leaving a vivid image on a lcd, for 2 hours

the worry on OLED, for me, is, how long does it take for it to get burn in
i wish LG could publish some findings from their end, you would think they have tested these sets and know some time frames to help avoid
Well you're in luck: that's what threads like this are for. Unless of course you're vegasoled, in which case this thread is for fanboy accolades only.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

User Tag List