LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5221 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
When I played around with the flat model in a store, I did notice a green cast when viewed from the side. The clerk agreed it was there. What this means for flat/curved uniformity I dunno.

I have seen that with the curved sets, both by Samsung and LG. Their off axis performance is not as good as a plasma. I will check out the OLEDs on a trip I have scheduled and check that out with the new LG flat panel.
JWhip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5222 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

4K OLED weeks away, now we will see cutting edge technologies merge to a 4K set worth purchasing.
Where are you getting that? The EC9300 is not 4K. http://m.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EC9300-oled-tv

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 07-29-2014 at 07:37 AM.
grizzledbiker is online now  
post #5223 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,963
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
IR is often cumulative and can eventually lead to BI. I believe those warnings in the manual are there for good reason, even if they seem overly cautious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
People should stop responded to this nonsense. But of course there are many just like him out there. No LCD's do not have burn-in unless a person is a complete moron who leaves his TV on a paused. screen for a few months.

Enjoy your flat OLED and don't listen to these nitpicking people with OLED envy. You will never see uniformity issues with content. Many of the people asking for this are extremely envious as they have bands running through their LCD screens.

IR never leads to burn in that is just BS, They are two different things.
People (I as well) should stop responding to your nonsense.

At the physics level, what we're calling IR is different for every display technology. At the physics level, what we're calling BI is different for every display technology. And what actually is happening at the lowest levels (and the causal chain of events before it) is still not completely understood. You can't simply declare that one "never" leads to another, because they're not merely "2 different things" and we just don't know. For (say) 4 display types (CRT, Plasma, LCD, OLED), they could be 8 different things, even if related.

I believe what Wizziwig meant was that if you continually excite the same pixels that are already exhibiting IR, you'll get BI more quickly; that IR is a step before BI. That much sounds reasonable to me.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.

Last edited by tgm1024; 07-29-2014 at 08:12 AM.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #5224 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,963
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
When I played around with the flat model in a store, I did notice a green cast when viewed from the side. The clerk agreed it was there. What this means for flat/curved uniformity I dunno.
Did you see the green cast more or less uniformly across the screen?

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #5225 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Are the whites as clear and bright as a Sammy curved 4k set? Or closer to a plasma?
grizzledbiker is online now  
post #5226 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Full screen whites are worse than plasma due to aggressive ABL, IMO. The TV itself can display brighter whites in portions of the screen than plasma but not just whole screen whites which is more like a mid-level gray.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #5227 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,933
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
^ Do other owners agree with this?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5228 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Aggressive ABL is mentioned @ page 1 IIRC.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #5229 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Dull muddy looking whole screen whites is what has turned me off to plasma. I prefer whiter whites to blacker blacks for general viewing.

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 07-29-2014 at 09:29 AM.
grizzledbiker is online now  
post #5230 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Desk.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 103
It'll be interesting to see if the Gen 2 sets DO deliver less aggressive ABL and higher maximum luminance, as appears might be the case.

Also, as regards IR, it's worth noting the hypothesis that this may be an issue common to ALL LG sets, including LCDs, due to weaker backplane technology, and that it's not necessarily linked to the OLED cells. I remember this time last year reading an initial review for the Samsung OLED sets in which it was put through a stress test with a prolonged static image, and that it showed no sign of retention. Meanwhile, a recent review of an LG LCD reported IR.

As it is, reports from people buying more recent LG OLED sets with a March manufacturing date suggest it may be less of a problem for them, or now no problem at all.

Once again, bring on the testing of the Gen 2 sets.

Desk
Ken Ross likes this.
Desk. is offline  
post #5231 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,459
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
As it is, reports from people buying more recent LG OLED sets with a March manufacturing date suggest it may be less of a problem for them, or now no problem at all.
Desk
I think it is a coincidence, as everyone really started buying these units with the huge price drops at that point in time. Especially in the last 60 days.......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #5232 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I'd like to see one of these on display. Don't seem to be any dealers with these in stock here locally in the Grand Rapids, Mi. area. All we have is Best Buy and Paul's TV neither of which carries OLED locally.
grizzledbiker is online now  
post #5233 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 10,142
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 635
FWIW, they had 'em in their stores on the other side of the state (at least as of a few weeks ago).
Stereodude is offline  
post #5234 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Desk.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I think it is a coincidence, as everyone really started buying these units with the huge price drops at that point in time. Especially in the last 60 days.......
It's possible, but it's been interesting to see a general consensus form on the AVForums after steady sales that there HAS been an improvement in the quality of the sets, with better or now even nigh-on perfect screen uniformity, the disappearance of that central rectangular greyscale shape which seemingly resulted from the backplane and few or zero sub-pixel problems.

Desk
Desk. is offline  
post #5235 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Full screen whites are worse than plasma due to aggressive ABL, IMO. The TV itself can display brighter whites in portions of the screen than plasma but not just whole screen whites which is more like a mid-level gray.
If this is the case, I would not want one. But of course to be fair I'd have to view one of these side by side with a HU9000 or similar.
grizzledbiker is online now  
post #5236 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I think it is a coincidence, as everyone really started buying these units with the huge price drops at that point in time. Especially in the last 60 days.......
Agree with this, jan build date here

This set is not without faults, but the fact that I have to go look for them on slides and am not seeing them on content is somewhat comforting

Both my panny plasmas had ir the second you booted them on(viera logo), both have burn in, all are visible during content

My lcds have all the typical issues associated with them(dse, off angle pq drop, etc)

This set has been fantastic, best pq I have seen, hope it holds up over time
5x10 is offline  
post #5237 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
FWIW, they had 'em in their stores on the other side of the state (at least as of a few weeks ago).
Apparently G.R. is considered a smaller market. And not sold here. But I imagine they'll become more prolific by this time next year or Christmas.
grizzledbiker is online now  
post #5238 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
It's possible, but it's been interesting to see a general consensus form on the AVForums after steady sales that there HAS been an improvement in the quality of the sets, with better or now even nigh-on perfect screen uniformity, the disappearance of that central rectangular greyscale shape which seemingly resulted from the backplane and few or zero sub-pixel problems.

Desk

The central rectangular greyscale shape is still there. You just have to know how to spot them (dark room with dark grey slide). I don't believe LG made much of change in production.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #5239 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Desk.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The central rectangular greyscale shape is still there. You just have to know how to spot them (dark room with dark grey slide). I don't believe LG made much of change in production.

I'd direct you to the owners on AVForums who have run greyscales at a range of percentages on their March and April build sets and found no evidence of the rectangular shape - one even posting pictures to prove this.

Desk


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Desk. is offline  
post #5240 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I can't see it as first until I view it at night with no lights.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #5241 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I can't see it as first until I view it at night with no lights.
my gray slides dont pick it up, but the gray screen on the youtube loading screen does
5x10 is offline  
post #5242 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
my gray slides dont pick it up, but the gray screen on the youtube loading screen does

seems pretty subtle/inconsequential in any case.


Are you guys watching letterbox content without a care? Several letterbox movies in a row without the smallest signs of IR? Or do you see it but it disappears on it's own by the next day?
fafrd is offline  
post #5243 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
As mentioned before, I simply turn off the TV and any faint IR if any will go away.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #5244 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
As mentioned before, I simply turn off the TV and any faint IR if any will go away.

Thanks. And are you ever 'being careful' with what you watch? No multiple letterbox movies in a row, full screen content following letterbox content, etc...
fafrd is offline  
post #5245 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Member
 
mwiebelhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have owned my 9800 for about six weeks now. Since I first posted about the TV, I have simply watched content. No test patterns, no special burn - in procedures, no looking for flaws, no restrictions on what I watch on it.


I have to say, if anything, I am more impressed now after six weeks of watching. I have seen no issues in anything I have watched on it that was not in the source material. White whites, blackest blacks, great color, depth and dimensionality. Simply an awesome picture. From a sit down and simply use it viewpoint, there is none better I have seen.


The curve? Wife loves it. I feel it is marketing. I do have to say it has had one advantage. Our viewing room has lots of light at various times in the day. My Pioneer Elite Plasma would have significant reflection of light off the screen at different times. The curve has broken up those reflections to a surprising degree. Enough so that it would be hard to give up the lack of reflections.


I did find the sound weak so I bought a sound bar for it, I hate the magic remote, but I got the codes into my programmable remote so everything works fine there. Otherwise, nothing.


I bless the day Microcenter sold me this for $2k.
Morning5 and 5x10 like this.
mwiebelhaus is offline  
post #5246 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,933
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
It's hard to believe that a burning logo like on the History Channel wouldn't show some IR.

But if not, great.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5247 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwiebelhaus View Post
I have owned my 9800 for about six weeks now. Since I first posted about the TV, I have simply watched content. No test patterns, no special burn - in procedures, no looking for flaws, no restrictions on what I watch on it.


I have to say, if anything, I am more impressed now after six weeks of watching. I have seen no issues in anything I have watched on it that was not in the source material. White whites, blackest blacks, great color, depth and dimensionality. Simply an awesome picture. From a sit down and simply use it viewpoint, there is none better I have seen.


The curve? Wife loves it. I feel it is marketing. I do have to say it has had one advantage. Our viewing room has lots of light at various times in the day. My Pioneer Elite Plasma would have significant reflection of light off the screen at different times. The curve has broken up those reflections to a surprising degree. Enough so that it would be hard to give up the lack of reflections.


I did find the sound weak so I bought a sound bar for it, I hate the magic remote, but I got the codes into my programmable remote so everything works fine there. Otherwise, nothing.


I bless the day Microcenter sold me this for $2k.

User reviews like this are very encouraging. Any other happy owners' with a 'care-free' experience please chime in - it's always so much easier for those experiencing issues or having concerns to put energy into these boards, but especially for cutting-edge technologies like these WOLEDs, any effort put into letting us lurkers know about trouble-free user experience is equally valuable.


Thanks for putting in the effort and taking the time.
fafrd is offline  
post #5248 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
seems pretty subtle/inconsequential in any case.


Are you guys watching letterbox content without a care? Several letterbox movies in a row without the smallest signs of IR? Or do you see it but it disappears on it's own by the next day?
i dont think its true ir or its very faint ir, but its very inconsistent.
i dont worry about LB movies, I have watched several in a row without concern.

i do need to correct an earlier statement i made, I can see the outline of the back panel on darker gray slides. I can also see some uneveness on the right hand side of the screen, the gray appears darker, like the outline of the back panel. I did not see any LB IR on any of the slides
i think its safe to say i have a little white and gray uniformity issues, but nothing too concerning as I have seen none of these issues with content
i think IF they become more pronounced, then it will probably effect content and will be an issue, but we dont even know if these thing do progressively get worse with the set age(one member claimed his screen started to yellow in content)
5x10 is offline  
post #5249 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Thanks. And are you ever 'being careful' with what you watch? No multiple letterbox movies in a row, full screen content following letterbox content, etc...
No, I simply enjoy it the way it is. I watch LB movies, play games and watch cable TVs with scroll bars or stationary logos all the time.
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #5250 of 7043 Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 10,096
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
It's hard to believe that a burning logo like on the History Channel wouldn't show some IR.

But if not, great.
I watch History channels all the time. No IR. If LG's numbers of 30,000 hours is true, I don't need worry too much about it.
Foxbat121 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off