post #5341 of 5369 Old Today, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
If you're a serious gamer, I would not bother waiting for 4K. The vast majority of 4K sets have huge input lag problems because of the additional processing and scaling required to display 720p or 1080p content.
In the marketing for the 4K Toshiba 65L9400U they claim to have a Turbo Game mode with only 10ms of lag. Which if true would make it the fastest large format 4K or 2K display you could buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5369 Old Today, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruai View Post
I hear these panels already look fantastic, though. I'm genuinely curious - will that make a big difference in picture quality? I don't know much about the 8-bit vs 10-bit debate
Not an expert here but I believe this will matter more with future 4K broadcast. The current set and Sony 900b have such great cold and are both 8 bit.
post #5343 of 5369 Old Today, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
1080p on a Oled looks good but the world shifting to 4k as almost all calls it. And at this time i wouldt go for another exspensive 1080p tv thats "outdated" in peoples minds in a few years .
Seems to me that 4k adoption is going even slower than anticipated.

Another thing, even 2k TVs will benefit from 4k content. Someone made the argument here that downscaling 4k content in 4:2:0 will get you the color resolution of 4:4:4 1080p.
post #5344 of 5369 Old Today, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
1080p on a Oled looks good but the world shifting to 4k as almost all calls it. And at this time i wouldt go for another exspensive 1080p tv thats "outdated" in peoples minds in a few years .
vak, im going to go out on a limb here and say your 55' was taken back in anticipation of getting the 65' 4k oled
Vegas oled likes this.
post #5345 of 5369 Old Today, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Another thing, even 2k TVs will benefit from 4k content. Someone made the argument here that downscaling 4k content in 4:2:0 will get you the color resolution of 4:4:4 1080p.
Chron and I have been saying that for a while now. He was first to say it I think.

And that's correct, if they do it properly, and if there is hardware to do it (God I hope so). 4:2:0 has half the chroma information in both directions (but all the luma). If you supply information at twice the linear resolution in each axis (4K), you end up with the 4K's 4:2:0 theoretically having enough chroma information for 2K 4:4:4. You will absolutely see an improvement on a 2K set assuming that the 4K isn't horrendously compressed for other reasons. So I'm looking forward to seeing just how much this will matter in real life.
Masterbrew2 likes this.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.

Last edited by tgm1024; Today at 08:07 AM. Reason: typos
post #5346 of 5369 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Chron and I have been saying that for a while now. He was first to say it I think.

And that's correct, if they do it properly, and if there is hardware to do it (God I hope so). 4:2:0 has half the chroma information in both directions (but all the luma). If you supply information at twice the linear resolution in each axis (4K), you end up with the 4K's 4:2:0 theoretically having enough chroma information for 2K 4:4:4. You will absolutely see an improvement on a 2K set assuming that the 4K isn't horrendously compressed for other reasons. So I'm looking forward to seeing just how much this will matter in real life.
Is it so complicated? Won't a "normal" downscale make use of this extra chroma information automatically?

Doesn't it only become complex if the downscaling attempts to use the color information to make an 8-bit 4k 4:2:0 signal into a 10-bit 1080p 4:4:4?
post #5347 of 5369 Old Today, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Yes, I am fine with 2K, as I know it will take a super long time, if ever, for 4K content to start really being pushed.
Well 4k Is free this year on the 65EC9700, so might as well take it >>>> I paid $1600 more for the 55" 1080P OLED set last year .
post #5348 of 5369 Old Today, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
vak, im going to go out on a limb here and say your 55' was taken back in anticipation of getting the 65' 4k oled
No lol was planning to use it as a gaming tv when i got a 65" 4k one but that didnt turn out as planned sadly.
post #5349 of 5369 Old Today, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Price in us on 65" 4k is really good. im envious of it. I dont know the Norwegian list price yet but im fearing x2 that price.
post #5350 of 5369 Old Today, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Well 4k Is free this year on the 65EC9700, so might as well take it >>>> I paid $1600 more for the 55" 1080P OLED set last year .
I wouldn't exactly call it "free", at this point. It's still over $6,000, and my alternative is to pay half as much for the same 55" 1080p OLED set you're referring to. The 9700 is a huge delta $, and doesn't seem worth it at the moment. Once I get paid tomorrow, I'm pulling the trigger on the 9800
post #5351 of 5369 Old Today, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call it "free", at this point. It's still over $6,000, and my alternative is to pay half as much for the same 55" 1080p OLED set you're referring to. The 9700 is a huge delta $, and doesn't seem worth it at the moment. Once I get paid tomorrow, I'm pulling the trigger on the 9800
God no wait atleast to the ec9300 one is out
post #5352 of 5369 Old Today, 11:27 AM

Quote:
God no wait atleast to the ec9300 one is out
Are you saying I should get that one, or are you saying there will be another price drop for the 9800? I'm a bit confused by your reply
post #5353 of 5369 Old Today, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Are you saying I should get that one, or are you saying there will be another price drop for the 9800? I'm a bit confused by your reply
he thinks you should get the 2014 model, which will be priced higher
I dont think there is any risk getting the discounted 13, you get a year warranty on it from LG
if anything happens between now and aug 2015, Im sure they would replace it with a current model
post #5354 of 5369 Old Today, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Yes
post #5355 of 5369 Old Today, 11:39 AM

Quote:
he thinks you should get the 2014 model, which will be priced higher
I dont think there is any risk getting the discounted 13, you get a year warranty on it from LG
if anything happens between now and aug 2015, Im sure they would replace it with a current model
I understand the benefits of waiting for the 2014 model, but won't be able to afford it for likely a year or so after its release.
If I get a 1-year warranty from LG no matter what (and if their customer service is as good as I've been hearing about in this thread), then it seems best to get the 9800 - at least, for me personally. I just hope I don't have the QC issues I keep hearing about
post #5356 of 5369 Old Today, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You will. The newer set will be much more improved for a little more money. They claim to be 20%+ brighter. Hopefully they cured the yellow tint problem that occurs from premature aging of the blue elements. Best wait at least until it comes out. By then the EA9800 will be even cheaper. Then you'll be in a better position to make a smart decision. Best to avoid impulse purchases at this price point.
herpderp likes this.

Last edited by grizzledbiker; Today at 12:54 PM.
post #5357 of 5369 Old Today, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
I understand the benefits of waiting for the 2014 model, but won't be able to afford it for likely a year or so after its release.
If I get a 1-year warranty from LG no matter what (and if their customer service is as good as I've been hearing about in this thread), then it seems best to get the 9800 - at least, for me personally. I just hope I don't have the QC issues I keep hearing about
Cleveland Plasma sells these and they've indicated they've had no issues other than seen by the 1,2, or 3 owners who posted about their dead sub-pixels here. Dead pixels plague tons of sets across the brand and technology spectrum. Of course you could always go buy a CRT if you want to avoid those types of issues
post #5358 of 5369 Old Today, 12:53 PM

Quote:
you plan on picking one up tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Cleveland Plasma sells these and they've indicated they've had no issues other than seen by the 1,2, or 3 owners who posted about their dead sub-pixels here. Dead pixels plague tons of sets across the brand and technology spectrum. Of course you could always go buy a CRT if you want to avoid those types of issues
yeah and if you want to see the dead sub pixels, make sure you have some slides up and are a couple inches from the screen
im honestly wondering what QC issues this set has. Maybe Im not pickey enough, idk
Vegas oled likes this.
post #5359 of 5369 Old Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Is it so complicated? Won't a "normal" downscale make use of this extra chroma information automatically?

Doesn't it only become complex if the downscaling attempts to use the color information to make an 8-bit 4k 4:2:0 signal into a 10-bit 1080p 4:4:4?
I think so, sure. Well, mostly. The luma information is still at 4K resolution. This is information that you need to be careful with because simply throwing away information can theoretically cause odd artifacts. If your TVs approach is to simply do this anyway, then sure, the result would be 4:4:4 naturally, assuming that its implementation of 4:2:0 subsampling was entirely discrete in the first place (and not waveform based).

As far as the color depth upconvert goes, I've seen it approached as a kind of dithering in the lower bit panel. (For example, consider an 8 bit to 9 bit upconvert.....an every other checkerboard of neighboring values would approximate the middle gray level that would be impossible to discern.) But this wouldn't be in the 4K source already, it'd be done in the display device, so there would be a plucking out of every other value in a 4K->2K downscale anyway.

Sony had this diagram that I posted before that I can't seem to find at the moment of their complicated conversion path where they mix bit depth and chroma subsampling all over the place. I can't imagine what their approach would be in this case, but I've seen their results on otherwise lower depth panels and they end up with no contouring at all, so perhaps their 4K->2K down scaling would be including chroma subsampling and bit depth adjustments and be equally complicated. Dunno.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #5360 of 5369 Old Today, 01:54 PM

Quote:
you plan on picking one up tomorrow?
Yeah... I've been wanting to upgrade, and I've doing the research for a while. I finally feel ready to make the decision - if I keep waiting for the "next one", which will undoubtedly be better, I'll likely be waiting forever.

And from what I've seen, the threads on this forums are always full of people who have issues with their TVs - they're generally the most vocal (myself included)! So I'll hold my breath, and if I have issues, I'll just have LG come fix it for me. Or do you think there'll be another big price drop in the very near future?
post #5361 of 5369 Old Today, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Good luck You will need it
post #5362 of 5369 Old Today, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The thing is that the "next one" is only a few weeks away.
vaktmestern likes this.
post #5363 of 5369 Old Today, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 321
Quote:
Yeah... I've been wanting to upgrade, and I've doing the research for a while. I finally feel ready to make the decision - if I keep waiting for the "next one", which will undoubtedly be better, I'll likely be waiting forever.

And from what I've seen, the threads on this forums are always full of people who have issues with their TVs - they're generally the most vocal (myself included)! So I'll hold my breath, and if I have issues, I'll just have LG come fix it for me. Or do you think there'll be another big price drop in the very near future?

Yes (depending on what you mean by 'very near future').

Last edited by fafrd; Today at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
post #5364 of 5369 Old Today, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Yes (depending on what you men by 'very near future').
I mean within the next month. And I'll be entirely honest, I only got up to about page 40 or so, and there only seemed to be issues for a few select people. I'm sorry to ask, but can somebody please summarize where this display stands and why it's likely to disappoint? Everyone seems kinda negative these past few pages, whereas earlier, people were a lot happier with their displays (minus a couple people, of course)
post #5365 of 5369 Old Today, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I mean within the next month. And I'll be entirely honest, I only got up to about page 40 or so, and there only seemed to be issues for a few select people. I'm sorry to ask, but can somebody please summarize where this display stands and why it's likely to disappoint? Everyone seems kinda negative these past few pages, whereas earlier, people were a lot happier with their displays (minus a couple people, of course)
Agree with this
It's a treat every time I turn it on and outside a couple of random turn offs by the tv, I've had nothing to complain about
post #5366 of 5369 Old Today, 03:01 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
Hopefully they cured the yellow tint problem that occurs from premature aging of the blue elements.
One of my major peeves is people blithely posting supposition as fact.

Desk
post #5367 of 5369 Old Today, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious, how many here are jumping to the Gen 2 Oleds after they come out in the next few weeks/months.
post #5368 of 5369 Old Today, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What ever you go with, good luck and what you like best is best for you. If you go with LG OLED expect a few subpixels out, if you do not run slides you will never see them. I had a floor model I watched for 2 weeks with 12 blue sub-pixels out and never even knew it. LG does stand behind their products so I recommend an extended warranty, especially with OLED as it is still very new technology. Honestly if I never joined this forum I would never even no what a bad sub-pixels was, this is good and bad.
post #5369 of 5369 Old Today, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
One of my major peeves is people blithely posting supposition as fact.

Desk

So true, I wish they would band people from forums where they continue to make up false speculative post which slander companies. There are plenty of real world factual issues and problems we can debate.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page