LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 188 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5611 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Stole this from another forum, thought it was interesting. Potential problems identified by LG with oled
westa6969 and tgm1024 like this.

Last edited by Barrybud; 08-06-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: (C) content removed
5x10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5612 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,932
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Huh. LG published this, or has it hidden in a service manual?

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #5613 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Yappadappadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg/Germany
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 132
It's from the service manual.
I don't really understand the crosstalk examples though.
Yappadappadu is online now  
post #5614 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 7,052
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Stole this from another forum, thought it was interesting. Potential problems identified by LG with oled
We can bet LG doesn't want this PUBLIC as the Copyright specifies in small print. The important point would be in knowing the universal pool and percentage of such failures as these go far beyond typical issues of LCD. I wouldn't be surprised if Moderators have to remove these pics so save to disk may create a nice reference point.

Would be interesting to hear from Chris at Cleveland on any significant frequency of his buyers of these events.

Also, wonder if OLED Dead Pixels if any owners attempted to massage them away with a microfiber cloth as they often can be on an LCD. I rarely had dead's on my thousands of LCD's on my network but when they did about 50% of the time the massage with a microfiber cloth would actually work but I have no idea of any success on an OLED. Any success w/massage on OLED's?

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by Barrybud; 08-06-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: (C) content removed
westa6969 is offline  
post #5615 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,932
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post
It's from the service manual.
I don't really understand the crosstalk examples though.

I was looking at those myself---I don't know either. I don't think it's crosstalk as we know of it from 3D; I think they might be talking about parts of the panel layers actually electrically leaking over to other panel layers and causing large sharply defined sections to fire off incorrectly. If anyone knows what LG is referring to here, let us know right away----it seems interesting.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #5616 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
We can bet LG doesn't want this PUBLIC as the Copyright specifies in small print. The important point would be in knowing the universal pool and percentage of such failures as these go far beyond typical issues of LCD. I wouldn't be surprised if Moderators have to remove these pics so save to disk may create a nice reference point.

Would be interesting to hear from Chris at Cleveland on any significant frequency of his buyers of these events.

Also, wonder if OLED Dead Pixels if any owners attempted to massage them away with a microfiber cloth as they often can be on an LCD. I rarely had dead's on my thousands of LCD's on my network but when they did about 50% of the time the massage with a microfiber cloth would actually work but I have no idea of any success on an OLED. Any success w/massage on OLED's?
I have pm'ed cleveland plamsa about OLED returns and he said no returns, one compliant about a dead pixel

Its funny you mention wiping away the dead pixels. I have found that tiny dust particles will make a pixel look dark or dead, and when wiped away, expose the bright pixel. I know its not the exact same thing as you state above, but its something I have seen while looking for dead pixels.
5x10 is offline  
post #5617 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I was looking at those myself---I don't know either. I don't think it's crosstalk as we know of it from 3D; I think they might be talking about parts of the panel layers actually electrically leaking over to other panel layers and causing large sharply defined sections to fire off incorrectly. If anyone knows what LG is referring to here, let us know right away----it seems interesting.

Assume that a functional panel would display a black square centered in a grey screen in the first image and a white square centered in a black screen in the second image...
fafrd is offline  
post #5618 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,932
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Assume that a functional panel would display a black square centered in a grey screen in the first image and a white square centered in a black screen in the second image...
Possibly.

I noticed the yellow off-axis hue images right away though. Apparently this is considered a "return immediately" thing by LG. A few folks here were reporting that.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #5619 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Possibly.

I noticed the yellow off-axis hue images right away though. Apparently this is considered a "return immediately" thing by LG. A few folks here were reporting that.
Would be an easy way for me to upgrade to a 2014 model but I bought it at the microcenter sale price

I noticed in that pic, that the pink hues were very strong and nothing like I experienced
I possibly could get a new one with the yellow tint, even though I'm willing to bet its on all sets

Either way, I'm happy with my set and have no desire to change it out
5x10 is offline  
post #5620 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Possibly.

I noticed the yellow off-axis hue images right away though. Apparently this is considered a "return immediately" thing by LG. A few folks here were reporting that.

Yeah, the 'Angle Hue Color Difference'


It would be good to get Chad's opinion on whether that picture is representative of the off-angle yellow push he experienced and reported on in his review or if that picture is far worse.


We still have not seen any theories to explain this off-angle hue shift and so I think we are all at a loss as to why it might vary from set to set (though LG apparently seems to believe that it can).
fafrd is offline  
post #5621 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Would be interesting to hear from Chris at Cleveland on any significant frequency of his buyers of these events.
Nothing to report, very few issues with these sets. Those could have been LG prototypes for all we know......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #5622 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Nothing to report, very few issues with these sets. Those could have been LG prototypes for all we know......

I think it would be enormously helpful to get a sense of how many satisfied Gen-1 WOLED owners there are out there.


If any of your customers are members here on AVS, try to get them to vote in the new 55EA9800 owners poll I just posted :-)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...er-s-poll.html

Last edited by Barrybud; 08-06-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Add link to poll
fafrd is offline  
post #5623 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
1.whether they cost the same to make ..or not
its a moot point since you can't buy a 1080P midlevel( or lower) Tv for hundreds less than a UHD TV

BTW...I assume you are employed by one of the TV manufacturers to know that it doesn't cost more to manufacture a UHD Tv than a 1080P?

if so..your statement is still hard to believe. I cant imagine they have been able to recover their costs in R&D and new manufacturing of UHD over HD TV yet..or the savings from the economies of scale of producing a significant amount more of HD than UHD units

but do tell?

and remember...science could readily prove superiority oh HD over SD with 20/20 vision
This cant be done with any where near close to the parameters of HD vs UHD

2. Your point is somewhat invalid
as there was a significant market of projection TV's for several years that filled a price point void while the direct view TV's came down in price
SD OTA was also around for many years

3. You point of UHD looking "better" is not shared by all
read quotes from David Katzmier etc
There is an increased cost until the 3rd tier manufacturers start to crank out 4K TV's
When Walmart starts stocking the shelves with 4K Tv's that is when I think the mass market will have accepted this as something they actually want

The market for 4K Tv's right now..I would assume...is extremely small...until I see mass market acceptance

So...based on some of your comments you work for one of the TV manufacturers

will we see 4K at Walmart now?

Warren

By the way, just for sh*ts and giggles, I searched for 4K TVs on Walmart and lo and behold, they are already selling 7 different models (4 from Samsug and 3 from Seiki): http://www.walmart.com/browse/3944_1...rt=best_seller

Availability in-store varies buy in my area (Bay Area), one of 3 stores has them in stock, one of 3 is sold out, and one of 3 does not carry 4K TVs.

So it seems like the 4K cat is well and truly out of the bag...

p.s. and Costco is apparently already carrying 7 4K TVs (4 from Samsung, 1 from LG and 2 from Hisense): http://www.costco.com/4k-tvs.html
Ken Ross likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #5624 of 7021 Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,932
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
By the way, just for sh*ts and giggles, I searched for 4K TVs on Walmart and lo and behold, they are already selling 7 different models (4 from Samsug and 3 from Seiki): http://www.walmart.com/browse/3944_1...rt=best_seller
..........................................well sh*t. (And giggle).

Is that the original $700 50" Seiki that is now down to $450? Huh. And I wish these guys would publish whether or not their TVs can handle 4:4:4 or not. It's really getting tiring to look all this stuff up elsewhere model by model every time.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #5625 of 7021 Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
By the way, just for sh*ts and giggles, I searched for 4K TVs on Walmart and lo and behold, they are already selling 7 different models (4 from Samsug and 3 from Seiki): http://www.walmart.com/browse/3944_1...rt=best_seller

Availability in-store varies buy in my area (Bay Area), one of 3 stores has them in stock, one of 3 is sold out, and one of 3 does not carry 4K TVs.

So it seems like the 4K cat is well and truly out of the bag...

p.s. and Costco is apparently already carrying 7 4K TVs (4 from Samsung, 1 from LG and 2 from Hisense): http://www.costco.com/4k-tvs.html
Interesting...as they are not in Walmart the stores near me
I am in the Midwest

I wouldn't bank on much until they to the price of the 1080P TV's...at Walmart

Costco is a completely different place....far less outlets, traffic....exponentially less of both as a matter of fact, and a far more affluent customer base than Walmart

remember 3D....


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5626 of 7021 Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
Interesting...as they are not in Walmart the stores near me
I am in the Midwest

I wouldn't bank on much until they to the price of the 1080P TV's...at Walmart

Costco is a completely different place....far less outlets, traffic....exponentially less of both as a matter of fact, and a far more affluent customer base than Walmart

remember 3D....


Warren
Would like to me you sometime over a burger or coffee. I'm in G.R. Michigan.
grizzledbiker is offline  
post #5627 of 7021 Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Really intrigued by the idea these sets could approach plasma levels without being monolithic, mini-space heaters in the process. I absolutely love the aesthetics of the EA8800, but it doesn't seem to be subject to some of the same flash deals (re: Microcenter) of the 9800. I just can't justify spending nearly $4,000 on a set I know will see a huge markdown within the year, either due to the newer models or some kind of promotional deal. Has anyone seen the 9800 for a more realistic ($2500-ish) price point?
Renzo12 is offline  
post #5628 of 7021 Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,932
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Really intrigued by the idea these sets could approach plasma levels without being monolithic, mini-space heaters in the process.
Plasmas haven't been "monolithic, mini-space heaters" for quite some time.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #5629 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
Today, the few are profitable in their Tv business
To make money in the Tv business I assume you have to get the masses on board
No, you need to have new features which are able to command a premium in the high-end segment. The masses simply help fill the fabs. As of right now, 4K is helping the LCD vendors make some profits. When 4K becomes available for $500 at Wal-mart, the margins will disappear.
nowknown likes this.
slacker711 is offline  
post #5630 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
It's even a bit more ridiculous than that.

The most expensive TV you can find at Walmart right now is the Samsung 75" H7150 1080p for $3800.

There are two 80" Vizio M's (2014 and 2014) selling for $3000 as well as the Samsung UN75H6350AFXZA 75" for $2700, all 3 1080p TVs.

There is a 70" Vizio M for $2100 and a 70" Sony KDL70W850B for $2000 - $2500 (didn't want to load cart :-) again, both 1080p.

and these are in the store readily available for any Walmart shopper in their thousands of stores across the country

or special order items?

big difference

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5631 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
No, you need to have new features which are able to command a premium in the high-end segment. The masses simply help fill the fabs. As of right now, 4K is helping the LCD vendors make some profits. When 4K becomes available for $500 at Wal-mart, the margins will disappear.
part of that doesnt make sense

The high end Tv's seem to be dropping each and every year

all the while there is more variety on the low end

4K TV's were out last year.....based on their latest financials the TV companies didnt do any better

when and if you see 4K TV's at Walmart for $500....thats when the volume of 4K TV's sold will pick up tremendously

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5632 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
part of that doesnt make sense
The high end Tv's seem to be dropping each and every year

all the while there is more variety on the low end

4K TV's were out last year.....based on their latest financials the TV companies didnt do any better
Most of the major television vendors did do better this year than last. Sony was profitable and expects the television business to show a profit this year for the first time in 10 years. Sharp, LG, and Samsung all said that they did well in the television business due to the high-end. I'm too lazy to look through the Taiwanese companies but AUO and Innolux both had good quarters as well.

The issue is that the differentiation provided by 4K wont last and neither will the profits. The Chinese are already offering 4K televisions and the quality will only improve.
slacker711 is offline  
post #5633 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I just did a store radius check for all the Walmart stores in metro Indianapolis...7-8 stores

I checked the boxes for IN STORE TV's only...and the highest end( most expensive) TV I came up with was this one...for $1248.00

VIZIO E650i-A2 65" 1080p 120Hz Class LED (3.23" ultra-slim) Smart HDTV



I could go further out ...but it gets more rural and I suspect it would even be lower end than this one in the stores


In the midwest..I would suspect the Chicago market might have a some higher end ones


But..I think my store example is a very good example of any of the metro midwest stores





Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5634 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
Most of the major television vendors did do better this year than last. Sony was profitable and expects the television business to show a profit this year for the first time in 10 years. Sharp, LG, and Samsung all said that they did well in the television business due to the high-end.

.
where are you seeing this information?...as I have seen something quite different
with Sony, Panasonic and Sharp performing poorly

The LG and Samsung information sounds realistic...however I have seen nothing that states that it was due to their high end products

edit.....
I just looked at the Sharp annual report
The TV's are in the same division as their mobile phones
It said that mobile phones were on the decline..but that LCD's Tv sales were up
Sales for the division, as a whole, were flat

But that this group returned to profitability due to cost cutting and other restructuring efforts


Good deal...I am seeing that they mean a leaner, meaner organization that wont contend with products that are not profitable

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system

Last edited by turnne1; 08-08-2014 at 08:02 AM.
turnne1 is offline  
post #5635 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
where are you seeing this information?...as I have seen something quite different
with Sony, Panasonic and Sharp performing poorly

The LG and Samsung information sounds realistic...however I have seen nothing that states that it was due to their high end products

Warren
I follow the markets for a living. There are a bunch of moving parts (such as the World Cup countered by a decline in sales in Japan due to an increase in the VAT), but overall most television vendors had good quarters. You have to dig through analyst reports and the conference calls to get the real details but here are some links. As I said before though, this wont last. The industry as a whole is terrible. Too many players and too much capacity. When companies/nations stop looking at television production as a strategic priority, that will be when companies will be able to make consistent profits.

Innolux.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../29/2003596139

Samsung

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=39258

LG

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-sales-g3.html

Sharp

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28600782
slacker711 is offline  
post #5636 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
I follow the markets for a living. There are a bunch of moving parts (such as the World Cup countered by a decline in sales in Japan due to an increase in the VAT), but overall most television vendors had good quarters. You have to dig through analyst reports and the conference calls to get the real details but here are some links. As I said before though, this wont last. The industry as a whole is terrible. Too many players and too much capacity. When companies/nations stop looking at television production as a strategic priority, that will be when companies will be able to make consistent profits.

Innolux.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../29/2003596139

Samsung

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=39258

LG

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-sales-g3.html

Sharp

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28600782
good information there

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #5637 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Plasmas haven't been "monolithic, mini-space heaters" for quite some time.
i disagree, my 55st50 put off enough heat that it made my room always warm(which required me to keep the fan always going) and the change to OLED offered a significant decrease in the heat of the room
i gave my parents the 55st50 and the first day my mom commented on the heat it gave off, works for her though, she loves it warm
StinDaWg and Yappadappadu like this.
5x10 is offline  
post #5638 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,845
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

when and if you see 4K TV's at Walmart for $500....thats when the volume of 4K TV's sold will pick up tremendously

Warren
And when you get your wish, that's when you'll see the last remaining TV manufacturers exit the TV business. If you think you can turn a profit making decently sized $500 UHD TVs...well, good luck with that. Can't have it both ways.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5639 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mine will come in sometime next week... waiting is so hard. I really can't wait. I promise to post pictures or impressions of whatever you guys wanna hear about - might need lots of instructions though, because I am definitely new to this
kruai is offline  
post #5640 of 7021 Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,856
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Bickering and anything looking like bickering removed.

Stick to the topic and not each other.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was going to ban people, but it's been awhile, so nothing this time. THIS time ;D
mo949 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is online now  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off