Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Ah, sounds like Value Electronics. I'd been waiting for OLED since after the Kuro debuted (or for Panasonic to catch up), but they've now been leapfrogged obviously.

I'm actually waiting for Robert to get that 65EC9700 4k oled in ... Can't wait ... I actually just returned my LG 65LA9700 ... And as soon as it comes .. It's mine minE MINE!!!!! ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Wow I really REALLY thought of the la9700 instead of this, as I was nervous of oled and loved what of fald i saw from the hx950; but I read so many horror stories of banding and horrible blacks regardless. What were your impressions of it?

Now if PC ever actually DOES just get their shipment of ea9800's in then I can definitely try fafrd's idea of intentional wear, haha wink.gif

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #1053 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Man what a rollercoaster ride this thread has been. I was super excited to get this TV, now I dunno

How dependable is LG's bad pixel replacement policy, can they suddenly decide to decline warranties on say less than 5 dead pixels? (if they got too many claims from OLED owners)
post #1054 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Plague, in my eyes you are already a hero on this board, but you have a unique opportunity to be even more of a hero.

If these sets truly suffer from the kind of burn-in you and Vinnie97 think you are seeing, you could test your new panel to prove or disprove the problem. Especially with your return policy and you 'backup' Sony LCD, if you agree that an OLED that can only display full-screen content is not ready for prime-time, perhaps you have the courage to force the issue with your (hopefully) new set.

Get it, set it up in the way you normally would, take a before picture of whatever screen you are using to show burn-in (it should have none at that point) and then watch only 2.35:1 content for 5-6 movies straight and check your burn-in screen again. If you don't see anything after 5-6 movies, try another 5-6 movies.

If you go through a week watching primarily 2.35:1 content and no signs of this burn-in, perhaps it is being overblown (or at least takes more stress than it might seem at the moment to appear).

If it does show up, you will have ruined your new OLED, but hopefully you can still return it for the Sony and you will have the everlasting of gratitude of all of us OLED-groupies hanging on the edge of our seats to know if these LG OLEDs are really ready for prime-time or not.

I don't think this is burn-in because the OLED pixels are turned off. How can the absence of an image be burned in?

Perhaps the pixels are susceptible to more noticeable uneven wear in the first few hours of use.

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #1055 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I'm far from being ready to conclude there is a fundamental problem yet... That said, if it turns out watching 2.35:1 movies yields uneven wear on these TVs, well, that's an absolute dealbreaker. Not an "all TVs have problems, this one is tolerable" dealbreaker. It would be a "don't buy this" dealbreaker for me -- and anyone who asked me for advice.

Again, that's a conclusion based on facts not yet in evidence. I'm just telling you that I have owned plasmas for years and have no kind of uneven wear whatsoever.
Yea, I wish I wasn't one of those unfortunate souls, but I must say my Kuro did, in fact, undergo this kind of degradation where the top and bottom of the screen did emit more light than the center circa 2000 hours of runtime, and I was beginning to detect it in full-screen content in early 2013 before the ZT60 arrived on the market. It was disappointing to me but not surprising since more than 50% of my viewing (and probably above 75%) included letterbox movie viewing. I know I'm not the only plasma user who has faced this phenomenon based on similar stories shared in said subforum.
post #1056 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

You're right, it's an option. But it would be the exact same thing as keeping this tv until it looks sufficiently horrible (if that does happen) to cash in on the warranty in a year or two. The EW is for 3 years so that's essentially how long I have. So I'm reasonably safe. I don't think they'll really just take BACK this tv unless I choose a new one, I'm not 100% sure. But I saved for this so I'm at least going to ride out the waves for now.
What kind of extended warranty did you get. The only extended warranty that covers burn in that I know of is bestbuy. Check your warranty closely I hate for you to get "burned" on a fine print detail wink.gif
post #1057 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

Man what a rollercoaster ride this thread has been. I was super excited to get this TV, now I dunno

How dependable is LG's bad pixel replacement policy, can they suddenly decide to decline warranties on say less than 5 dead pixels? (if they got too many claims from OLED owners)
Man, this kind of talk has me thinking I should call LG sooner rather than later. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Yes, and one of those folks is Vinnie, who I know and respect here for years. That's why I even bothered to weigh in at this early stage.

It's pretty likely that this set will go to videophiles and that over a year, something like 100 2.35:1 movies will be watched. (Nevermind the potential for a few hundred hours of something like ESPN). If after that time a few lines / brightness zones have worn into the screen, well, that's just freaking awful. We're a ways from knowing enough to understand how widespread this problem is, but we have our canaries in the coal mine.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. wink.gif It is reciprocated. I had to jump on this as an impulse with the new price floor that Cleveland alerted us about along with all the pent up interest building for at least half a decade. I tend to be OCD about these things so don't everyone go freakazoid yet (Plague's case on the other hand...). I am anxious to see if there is anything visible on full-screen content, which I will be watching tonight.

To everyone else, I would say the movies were watched over the span of a week...on average one per evening. I have the slides going now as per TGM's recommend.
post #1058 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

It was disappointing to me but not surprising since more than 50% of my viewing (and probably above 75%) included letterbox movie viewing.
Wow! If you actually reached 75% of all viewing with 2.35:1 source material, then it's easy to understand why you had a problem with plasma. Sounds like a perfect DLP Front Projection application, unless you also see rainbows.
post #1059 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 PM

^or an LCD. redface.gif It's not like I consciously made a decision to watch such content specifically...that was just the way the cookie crumbled since I used the plasma for predominately movies. A high percentage of films are letterboxed in some capacity. I didn't have a chance to spend any serious time with DLP, but the oft-talked about visual phosphor artifacts (phosphor trails) were never a problem for me with plasma.
post #1060 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Yea, I wish I wasn't one of those unfortunate souls, but I must say my Kuro did, in fact, undergo this kind of degradation where the top and bottom of the screen did emit more light than the center circa 2000 hours of runtime, and I was beginning to detect it in full-screen content in early 2013 before the ZT60 arrived on the market. It was disappointing to me but not surprising since more than 50% of my viewing (and probably above 75%) included letterbox movie viewing. I know I'm not the only plasma user who has faced this phenomenon based on similar stories shared in said subforum.

I have the exact same issue on my 500m. After reading about the improvements Samsung made with their OLED phones, I can wait this one out for a couple more years. Ok, 2015 wink.gif It must be cool to have the mll equivalent of the ecc tv at home though smile.gif
vinnie97 likes this.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #1061 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

"How dependable is LG's bad pixel replacement policy, can they suddenly decide to decline warranties on say less than 5 dead pixels? (if they got too many claims from OLED owners)"

I'll let you know tomorrow.

I'll say this: if you call during the day and tell them you own this set, they will transfer you to a specific line with people who actually give a crap...and they will assure you that they will replace the panel even if one subpixel is out. It is actually impressive how they treat you on this so called "VIP" line which I had the pleasure of being connected to twice; and I can ALSO assure you that if it didn't exist I never would have solved the very first software problem I had. They will also tell you on this line, if you ask, that they have never heard of dead pixels on this set....which is absolutely hilarious to hear them say with a straight face.

Then, if you call later or they simply don't give you said VIP line they won't even know what a pixel is....not kidding, really....I told him I had three dead pixels and he said "so....the tv looks pixelated?" I asked him about their pixel policy and he said "I don't know, that's up to the technician to decide." I said "really? because every single manufacturer of tv's has a pixel policy, and I was told just yesterday that you have a separate and all inclusive one for the tv I have", to which he said "sir, you don't understand. this is up to the technician to decide". And I was 100% sure it was actually he who didn't understand. But it was futile. They also will absolutely refuse to answer even the most rudimentary questions such as: "do you still manufacture panels for this tv?"

Then the tech calls you regardless of which line you spoke with. The tech doesn't know anything about your specific set. Mine doesn't really know they made OLED tv's; BUT also told me that he can probably get them to give me a panel but he has to send video feed of the issues to the factory.....so weird. so, what's going to happen tomorrow is completely up in the air. It's anybody's guess right now so if you'd all like to take bets go right ahead.

As far as my PC Richards warranty goes, I'm not worried there. As long as they see you spent decent money with them and took out an EW (they make tons of money off of EW's since the manufacturer's just reimburse them for everything they take back, period), then they will let you do whatever. Dealing with them is very easy. If they only had more in stock it would be great and they assure me that they have 10 on order but do not know when they will get them only that they will; while LG says it's impossible for them to get any more.

I too am OCD about pq, obviously. I mean, my tv has issues but as of right now it's definitely watchable. If I slept on it again however, I think even my grandmother would see the problem. But I don't see what's wrong with being picky when you look towards the highest end of the consumer spectrum on any type of technology...you don't buy this tv if you don't get how there's a difference between it and a westinghouse as long as they're both 1080p! You don't buy this tv if all you see when shopping for a tv is how thin it is and how big the screen size is for the money! You don't buy this tv if you don't know what black levels are! (90% of the people I know fall into all those categories)

You don't buy this tv if you don't know WHY you're buying this tv or why this tv even exists, period!

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #1062 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
On a whim, I put my USB Microscope camera on the LG screen, showing 100% white. For comparison, I've also attached the same image on my Sharp Quattron.

Edit: I fixed the image orientation. The originals were turned 90 degrees. I captured new images.

Robbin
post #1063 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 111
This is just my WAG, but I think any burn-in after six hours is more likely to be related to issues with the backplane than with the materials.

FWIW, I found this review.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/hdtv/hdtv-reviews/oled-curved-tv-lg-55ea980/all-pages.html
Quote:
To try and replicate the burn-in effect, I left the TV on for a few days with only a blue 100IRE window at the center. At the end of the test, I fully expected there to be some slight difference between the area surrounding the box and the box itself. Such a test on a plasma screen would often yield noticeable burn-in, or at least image retention which would require a few days at least to resolve. However, no noticeable difference was noticed.

Note that the review was on a demo unit and they also saw some residual luminance that he was able to capture on different colors using a long exposure picture.
post #1064 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
It seems to me that any owner of this OLED, that has a reason to call LG, would insist on being transfered to their dedicated OLED support services. confused.gif
post #1065 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Plague, in my eyes you are already a hero on this board, but you have a unique opportunity to be even more of a hero.

If these sets truly suffer from the kind of burn-in you and Vinnie97 think you are seeing, you could test your new panel to prove or disprove the problem. Especially with your return policy and you 'backup' Sony LCD, if you agree that an OLED that can only display full-screen content is not ready for prime-time, perhaps you have the courage to force the issue with your (hopefully) new set.

Get it, set it up in the way you normally would, take a before picture of whatever screen you are using to show burn-in (it should have none at that point) and then watch only 2.35:1 content for 5-6 movies straight and check your burn-in screen again. If you don't see anything after 5-6 movies, try another 5-6 movies.

If you go through a week watching primarily 2.35:1 content and no signs of this burn-in, perhaps it is being overblown (or at least takes more stress than it might seem at the moment to appear).

If it does show up, you will have ruined your new OLED, but hopefully you can still return it for the Sony and you will have the everlasting of gratitude of all of us OLED-groupies hanging on the edge of our seats to know if these LG OLEDs are really ready for prime-time or not.

Well, unfortunately they are taking the Sony away tonight frown.gif so unless I change my mind now there won't ever be going back, unless you mean to my 46" xbr5. But with tax and the EW I have almost 6k invested in a tv through PC Richard right now. That's part of the reason I've been upset too, everything else is edge-lit. I don't trust Toshiba or Vizio (yet) and the FALD sony is 8k so if this tv doesn't work out I'm stuck with it, basically. PC gives cash refunds under no circumstances, they only exchange tv's. And the 2014 OLED's will start at 10-15k again no doubt.

With my new panel I'm not going to intentionally try and force the issue to reappear by only watching anamorphic content, I'm just going to watch whatever I want to watch and if it happens it happens. Ill be sure to post pics of my uniformity on a greyscale as soon as I get the new panel and again after i feel ive watched a sufficient variety of formats. Deal buddy?

Well, can't say that I blame you - I mean after all, you did purchase this new TV to enjoy it, didn't you?

But maybe I can talk you into keeping a log book, at least for the first few weeks. Before pics, a log book of how long you watched and what type of content (full screen, 2:35:1, etc...), and follow-on grey scale uniformity pics every weekend would be enormously valuable to help track down what is going on here.

With anyone else, I wouldn't even ask, but between your passion for this stuff and your OCD, I thought it might be worth a try. If you are willing to put some effort into logging the content being displayed on your brand new LG OLED and tracking signs of burn-in with pics, I believe you would rise to permanent hero status here on AVS Forum (at least in my eyes) biggrin.gif
post #1066 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 388
OLED has problems with differential aging. Always has and always will. Just like Plasma. The theory is that if they can get the lifetime of the materials long enough that it won't be a problem for most people. The people who watch a lot of ESPN or have a lot of static images are going to be disappointed.
post #1067 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Asked abt anyone running they oled in like a plasma ages ago in this tread . I would but i guess that's was a silly thought nobody took any listen 2 ... Told you all
post #1068 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279

I change TV every five years so who cares about burn-in I watch only movies :)

post #1069 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually Vak, I did reply to that post of yours, and another suggesting that the initial hours of viewing may be more fragile, a while back but for some reason quotations don't show up when I post from my phone. I had asked if there were any break in measures I could or should take with the new panel. If anybody has heard of any, and if anyone could even give me a brief rundown of what they are for plasma.

Fadrd as it looks like my presence on this board is here to stay I will absolutely post weekly grayscales along with content logs for a period of time in order to benefit the community and empirically document what can be expected from a brand new panel moving forward. That kind of data could prove invaluable to OLED owners for quite some time, and mag even put some of these debates to rest. Not only anamorphic content will be watched, but also 4:3 as well.

However, I can't guarantee exactly how long I'll keep up with it for! You must understand that at some point I am simlky going to require myself to stop thinking about it altogether in order to retain my sanity and enjoyment of purchase, regardless of my findings! I'm thinking the first solid month ill be rewatching just about everything I own, so at least there's that smile.gif

Pick up the signature.
post #1070 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Wse the reason why it concerns you is I believe the general consensus we've been reaching here is that it's more an issue of uneven aging of the panel in relation to static aspect ratios than static images...and obviously if it were taking five years to happen none if this would be going on right now.
vinnie97 likes this.

Pick up the signature.
post #1071 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Wow I really REALLY thought of the la9700 instead of this, as I was nervous of oled and loved what of fald i saw from the hx950; but I read so many horror stories of banding and horrible blacks regardless. What were your impressions of it?

Now if PC ever actually DOES just get their shipment of ea9800's in then I can definitely try fafrd's idea of intentional wear, haha wink.gif

The la9700 produces great black levels and great color reproduction as full array should. The minor haloing was just a offset of having FULL ARRAY!! The viewing angles were great when the haloing wasn't present ..
I must elaborate the haloing was minor the deal breaker for me was the (jail bar bands ) and it only did this when the camera would pan left or right , for example (sports). I had the whole tv replaced once. Then had a technician come out the second time to replace the panel .. The third time I just filed a defective claim.. At this point it was obviously a panel flaw... And since the prices drop astronomically it was only logical to get a full refund and hold out for something else. I give it to LG, customer service was no fuss at all. The bands and the fact they promised the early adopters a hdmi 2.0 upgrade path, and by the way!! (there still hasn't been any word on that ) along with the drop in price was enough to make me leave it alone all together .. But I must say 3d was amazing cuz 4k gives you full 1080 in each eye... And 4k well honestly it looks so good that the current price of the lg 65la9700 (3,600) makes me thinking of buying one again altogether .. Seriously it was a great tv, just couldn't see myself dishing out over 6k for a tv that had bands and no real hdmi 2.0 upgrade path .. But If the price gets any lower I may buy it & throw it in the office room smile.gif I mean honestly you just couldn't watch anything in 4k over 30fps so it was limited. However I certainly do think its worth the price it is now !!!
post #1072 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've got to say that as picky as I can be certain things just do not bother me one bit and that is the haloing from fald, so no real issue there. The banding though, that'd drive me nuts. I have never seen banding before , ever, because it only really appears on sets larger than 65 and I've never owned one, but I've read that the hx950 in65 had the exact sane problem. Was it noticeable on solid colors as well, like animation,? About how many bands did youget? I agree that without 2.0 its more of an upscaling set than anything, but most films I watch in 24p anyway. I'm very concerned about gaming on 4k as upscaling games usually leads to aliasing....Have you had any experience with this? Honestly I've been looking at that tv as kind if a fail safe as its fald and the price is down to about 3500 at pc for the 65 right now which is really good.l

Pick up the signature.
post #1073 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yet one more blue subpixel has turned black all the way in the top right. This one is very far toward the corner but that makes 2 out of the box and 2 within a week, all only on blue.

Green and red color slides still look flawless however, so so odd.

Pick up the signature.
post #1074 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Asked abt anyone running they oled in like a plasma ages ago in this tread . I would but i guess that's was a silly thought nobody took any listen 2 ... Told you all
I'm a sucker who just went absent-mindedly into this. smile.gif I should've known better but I was getting too mesmerized by the set to give it more thought. I ran slides for about 12 hours today. It could be my imagination, but the evidence of 2.351:1 wear seems to have lessened/softened. I don't want to run 24/7 slide-a-thons considering how delicate the pixels are (or maybe I should to guarantee my replacement tongue.gif), but I may run them again tomorrow.
post #1075 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Really vin you think they've made an improvement? That's great! How do you let the slides run continuously, can you do that from wow? I will try it overnight, (in full screen, lol). Never knew you could. That doesn't scare me nearly as much as pixel flipper, which is definitely big time stress for the whites at the very least.

I wish I could run them all except blue as there's something obviously very wrong with blue pixels on my panel.

Pick up the signature.
post #1076 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 PM

I am using the slides from D-Nice's 2013 Panasonic settings thread: http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/68389

After you've loaded them into a dir on a USB drive and accessed the first one, you can then select options from the black menu at the bottom of the screen. From there you can set all the particular details about the slideshow including length and whether to repeat it. If you would rather not exercise blue, just delete it from the list before you attach the drive to the set. It should be fairly straightforward once you access said menu.
post #1077 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

Hmm, I was unaware of these Kuro issues. I really lost interest in Kuro-mania after a time.... I can tell you my plasma is now getting close to 2 years old, it has north of 3000 hours on it. There's not a hint of a wisp of anything burned into the set in any way. The same was true of the 6-year-old set it replaced. I just didn't experience any issues at all and did nothing to avoid them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

This is just my WAG, but I think any burn-in after six hours is more likely to be related to issues with the backplane than with the materials.

There was some early anecodtal reporting of image retention on iPad Minis (which use IGZO, like LG's OLED). This at least lends credence to the backplane theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

OLED has problems with differential aging. Always has and always will. Just like Plasma. The theory is that if they can get the lifetime of the materials long enough that it won't be a problem for most people. The people who watch a lot of ESPN or have a lot of static images are going to be disappointed.

So yeah, the difference is that I'd say the majority of us with plasma have had experiences like mine above: No detectable wear issues. There is simply no way I'd buy an OLED if I thought I'd have detectable issues.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #1078 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow thank you I will be trying that tonight. About how confident are you that they have helped vs placebo?

What kind of parameters like length of time on each did you set them to? Thanks.

I''ll remove blue at first since another blue has failed today, but if found to reduce the edge wear on whites at least then I may give them a try later

Pick up the signature.
post #1079 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Wow thank you I will be trying that tonight. About how confident are you that they have helped vs placebo?

What kind of parameters like length of time on each did you set them to? Thanks.

I''ll remove blue at first since another blue has failed today, but if found to reduce the edge wear on whites at least then I may give them a try later

How many failed subpixels are you up to now?

post #1080 of 5104 Old 04-02-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Slacjer, can you explain what you mean by a backplane issue? As in, not the panel itself?

Pick up the signature.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page