LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5824 Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Masterbrew that'd be 4 failed blue subpixels... Ps4 background is starting to look a bit like a speckled sky lol

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76

Hmm, it's odd but in a weird way the subpixel failure rate provides insurance against the more serious issue with burn-in. As long as LG is willing to replace panels with failed subpixels, and subpixels keep failing, you can get your burn-in problem solved by having the set replaced inside warranty.

In my line of business that would be considered a pretty good hedge, it seems too good to be true actually.

Of course, what would be even better was that the set suffered neither pixel failure or burn in...

post #1083 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Wow thank you I will be trying that tonight. About how confident are you that they have helped vs placebo?

What kind of parameters like length of time on each did you set them to? Thanks.

I''ll remove blue at first since another blue has failed today, but if found to reduce the edge wear on whites at least then I may give them a try later
I just chose the default length of time (medium), and I am convinced that it's at least 50% better since running the slides. You can make a more definitive determination if I'm full of placebo after testing my theory.

The really good news is I just watched a 1.85:1 film tonight (Run Lola Run) and could see no trace of uneven wear that was beginning to appear in the grayscale slide (this is the first full-screen content I watched since discovering the trace evidence of uneven wear).

Dead subpixels holding steady at 3 for now. but I'm running the slides overnight once more, so we'll see what holds true tomorrow.
tgm1024 and vaktmestern like this.
post #1084 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
OLED has problems with differential aging. Always has and always will. Just like Plasma. The theory is that if they can get the lifetime of the materials long enough that it won't be a problem for most people. The people who watch a lot of ESPN or have a lot of static images are going to be disappointed.

No there exists a solution:

http://www.ignisinnovation.com/technology/ignis-technology-overview/ignis-maxlife-technology
tgm1024 likes this.
post #1085 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Good to read that sliders might work smile.gif
post #1086 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 
I just chose the default length of time (medium), and I am convinced that it's at least 50% better since running the slides. You can make a more definitive determination if I'm full of placebo after testing my theory.

The really good news is I just watched a 1.85:1 film tonight (Run Lola Run) and could see no trace of uneven wear that was beginning to appear in the grayscale slide (this is the first full-screen content I watched since discovering the trace evidence of uneven wear).

Dead subpixels holding steady at 3 for now. but I'm running the slides overnight once more, so we'll see what holds true tomorrow.
How do subtitles look on your TV?. I can tell you that subtitles suck on a LED that is why i am asking.
post #1087 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Asked abt anyone running they oled in like a plasma ages ago in this tread . I would but i guess that's was a silly thought nobody took any listen 2 ... Told you all
I'm a sucker who just went absent-mindedly into this. smile.gif I should've known better but I was getting too mesmerized by the set to give it more thought. I ran slides for about 12 hours today. It could be my imagination, but the evidence of 2.351:1 wear seems to have lessened/softened. I don't want to run 24/7 slide-a-thons considering how delicate the pixels are (or maybe I should to guarantee my replacement tongue.gif), but I may run them again tomorrow.

Hmmmm......Keep in mind that you're now wearing both the unworn section (top/bottom) and the worn in section (middle).  In theory it'd bring everything over to the more linear section of wear.......I hope.

But don't know.  That's why I was whimsically half-wondering about slides wearing just the top and bottom bars yesterday.  Note: I wouldn't recommend that----even if it worked I'm guessing it'd likely create a seam 4 inches down from the top and 4 inches up from the bottom (or however it works out for 2.35 on a 55" 1.78 display).

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1088 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post

Quote:
OLED has problems with differential aging. Always has and always will. Just like Plasma. The theory is that if they can get the lifetime of the materials long enough that it won't be a problem for most people. The people who watch a lot of ESPN or have a lot of static images are going to be disappointed.

No there exists a solution:

http://www.ignisinnovation.com/technology/ignis-technology-overview/ignis-maxlife-technology

Thanks for that link!  That's what I was hoping to see in the industry!!!

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1089 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Woo hoo!  Who cares if it's psychosomatic.....(lol)....

post #1090 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 AM

It ran all night again as I intended...all I can really say now is that on 10% IRE there is still the typical nonuniformity, the pictures of which we have seen ad nauseum by now, but no real clear sign of letterbox wear. Inverse 2.35:1 wear slides? Don't worry, tgm, such an idea has been bandied about in the plasma forums for some time now but never really blossomed into an actual solution AFAIK. Hopefully, it's altogether unnecessary. If my early experiment is yielding the results I think it is, it's a good sign.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #1091 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

How do subtitles look on your TV?. I can tell you that subtitles suck on a LED that is why i am asking.
Just to be clear, subtitles aka closed captioning or subpixels? I haven't really tested the former other than on Netflix, but I was not particularly disgusted by what I saw. Defective subpixels that don't emit when called upon do indeed suck. tongue.gif
post #1092 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 88
So should i wait or jump in on the current oled? confused.gif
post #1093 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, subtitles aka closed captioning or subpixels? I haven't really tested the former other than on Netflix, but I was not particularly disgusted by what I saw. Defective subpixels that don't emit when called upon do indeed suck. tongue.gif
Actually, some folks switched to Plasma after seeing LCd subtitles, its like a fierce white light at the bottom of the screen while watching stuff on your TV frown.gif Run Lola Run is a german movie - Lola Rennt - so it has subtitles. You did not watch a dubbing version, did you confused.gifeek.gif
post #1094 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I emran the slides for about 6 hours (length of time I usually sleep), and couldn't tell if there was a notable difference in the morning, but need more time to inspect. Vinnie it is great to know that you weren't able to see those bars during 1:85:1 content but my fear is that theylle get more and more pronounced; and fast. Becsuse I can see mine everytime the screen turns white. Unless it truly is as easy to "rebalance" the screen by playing slides for a day once a month or so. If that's the case it's still concerning, but at least with countermeasures one wouldn t be nervous to watch 2:35:1 every time. I recommend those with sets run slides from time to time BEFORE the issue even presents itself; vinnie may have found a viable way to lengthen the amount of time you have before seeing anything unusual.

Definitely nervous to try it on blue. But I guess he who said the pixel issue provides insurance against burn in has somewhat of a point as well

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #1095 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 AM

^Yes, it certainly has the potential to accumulate. If it can do so on a plasma, there's no reason to suggest it can't happen on this iteration of OLED based on what we know/what we've seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Actually, some folks switched to Plasma after seeing LCd subtitles, its like a fierce white light at the bottom of the screen while watching stuff on your TV frown.gif Run Lola Run is a german movie - Lola Rennt - so it has subtitles. You did not watch a dubbing version, did you confused.gifeek.gif
lol, you're correct...haven't been asleep in a while. No, it didn't bother me but I haven't been particularly bothered by subtitles on LCD screens either (the largest one I ever owned was 40").
post #1096 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never noticed anything wrong with subtitles on any tv in my life . Lcds display subtitles as well as any other tv tech does...Ive never heard of such a thing. LCD also has zero uneven wear issues under any circumstance unless you have a really poor quality set. Pfft, I went on vacation for a week with the xbr5 on that damn forest screen once.

And vak if you're still trying to decide it's on you dude! At least we can ALL agree about one thing: pq

If you buy now you're on the early adopter train and as you can see nobodys got the slightest clue what these issues will mean, whether nothing at all or utterly detrimental, a year or more from now. Just that there certainly ARE issues.

I'd like to know if vinnies slide method proves to be a countermeasure against uneven wear which, I think is as close to proven to be happening by now : just not to what exact degree from panel to panel and permanency but it is very possible to happen fast and even with a new panel im still not hopeful I'll have a uniform picture for very long no matter what I do .

I'll need more time trying slides , hoping pixels don't just keep on dying , and whether LGs warranty is any peace of mind for you guys in case things go horribly awry which ilk let you know later

Pick up the signature.
post #1097 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
lol, you're correct...haven't been asleep in a while. No, it didn't bother me but I haven't been particularly bothered by subtitles on LCD screens either (the largest one I ever owned was 40").
Later in the evening when lights are dimmed it tends to be a problem for those who are LCd subtitle sensitive.
post #1098 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Lol, LCD subtitle sensitive......that is honestly the newest thing I've ever heard. What ? It looks like text on the screen.....like it does on any display....I dint mean that offensively as if I just dint believe you, I justdibt get it....how is that possible

Pick up the signature.
post #1099 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

So yeah, the difference is that I'd say the majority of us with plasma have had experiences like mine above: No detectable wear issues. There is simply no way I'd buy an OLED if I thought I'd have detectable issues.
Are you speaking from the experience of a first or second generation plasma TV? If not, we're not making an even comparison. New tech tends to have teething problems. There's a reason why OLED is still close to a novelty after more than a decade of hype and promises around it. Lots and lots of companies invested heavily into it only to walk away.
Quote:
IMHO, closed loop per pixel feedback is a band-aid to the problem. When you start driving a pixel harder to compensate for aging (reduced brightness) you further accelerate the aging process.
post #1100 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Fald is just a bandaid for LCD too, but it works.

About the apparent novelty if oled: I think a lot of people are forgettingl how many oled phones they've owned so no, it shouldn't really be a novelty nor incredibly faulty. Sure, burn in happens on oled phones, but only with images that are ALWAYS up for YEARS in the EXACT same place, like the battery or signal meter. Why is the tech so different simply because it's larger?

Pick up the signature.
post #1101 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

It looks like text on the screen.....like it does on any display.

not on the Edge local dimming LEDs
any text will ruin the blacklevel as the dimming zones changes.
you can see the dimming with the eye on some sets when text is displayed on a black background.
post #1102 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

So should i wait or jump in on the current oled? confused.gif

Wait.  Absolutely wait.

post #1103 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahh, now I understand pg....ugh I wouldnt spend 5 dollars on an edge lit tv. It was a downgrade from cfl right from the start

Pick up the signature.
post #1104 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Wait.  Absolutely wait.

Unfortunately though, it may take more than just one gen to save these problems....it may take many years

Pick up the signature.
post #1105 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol, LCD subtitle sensitive......that is honestly the newest thing I've ever heard. What ? It looks like text on the screen.....like it does on any display....I dint mean that offensively as if I just dint believe you, I justdibt get it....how is that possible
Ín some european countries a lot of stuff has subtitles. Subtitles as well as logo's can be annoying. I do not like it and have seen folks complaining about it. On Plasma tech it is more bearable since Plasma picture is softer compaired to LCd. Besides that there is LCd haloing/blooming. LCd, dark room, dimmed lights, dark scene + subtitles (& logo's) wink.gif

post #1106 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I can see it in the pics and understand the fald and edge lit issue with that, but I've never seen that with cfl. Also, that's a black background , I can't imagine them always looking that way

Pick up the signature.
post #1107 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

Fadrd as it looks like my presence on this board is here to stay I will absolutely post weekly grayscales along with content logs for a period of time in order to benefit the community and empirically document what can be expected from a brand new panel moving forward. That kind of data could prove invaluable to OLED owners for quite some time, and mag even put some of these debates to rest. Not only anamorphic content will be watched, but also 4:3 as well.

However, I can't guarantee exactly how long I'll keep up with it for! You must understand that at some point I am simlky going to require myself to stop thinking about it altogether in order to retain my sanity and enjoyment of purchase, regardless of my findings! I'm thinking the first solid month ill be rewatching just about everything I own, so at least there's that smile.gif

Plague,

even you can keep a log for even a month, that would be outstanding - from what both you and Vinnie have reported, if the burn-in issue from uneven aging while watching non full-screen content is real, it should show up in under a month's worth of normal viewing. Putting myself on your shoes, I've tried to think what information would be most valuable to log and also easiest, since I know once the log becomes too burdensome, it is probably going to be overlooked in the interest of enjoying your set and your evening. So here's what I would propose if you can manage it (in order of priority).

1/ log whenever you turn on the set and whenever you turn it off

2/ log whenever you begin a movie, what format it is in (2.35:1, full-screen, etc) and either movie length of movie end time (that could always be looked up and approximated if needed)

3/ log whenever you begin and end a gaming session (as well as the screen mode if anything other than full-screen) as well as any time you begin and end any non-full-screen session (such as the 3D-mode you alluded to).

4/ what's left is casual viewing and flipping channels and all of this time will be assumed to be full-screen unless you can take the time to log something different (such as 4:3).

1/ and 2/ above are the most important, so if you can use your OCD to at least do a pretty good job capturing all/most of that data, we should be able to get great insight into this issue. If 3/ is easy to include, as well, great (but it is already largely covered by 1, unless you are spending a lot of time messing around with non-full-screen-modes such as 3D), and whatever your OCD makes you feel compelled to do on 4 would be icing on the cake just in case.

And the weekly grey-screen shots as well as any log of your impressions of any visible signs of burn-in are important as well.
post #1108 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Wait.  Absolutely wait.

Unfortunately though, it may take more than just one gen to save these problems....it may take many years

I think there has been an absolute rush to market for OLED TVs between those two squabbling idiots LG and Samsung.  Samsung failed, but LG was still in that race---perhaps as a result you're seeing the results of coming out "too soon".  I would expect a lot of fixes to happen between the 1st and 2nd years.

There's generally a lot during then anyway I think for all products.

post #1109 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 
Well I can see it in the pics and understand the fald and edge lit issue with that, but I've never seen that with cfl. Also, that's a black background , I can't imagine them always looking that way
Logo's and subtitles are put on top of the picture and they are often a bit more shiny than anything else in the picture. Kind a like loud ads..
post #1110 of 5824 Old 04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The only reason they abandoned cfl for edge lighting in LCD in the first place is because blind consumers thought that thinner panels meant better tech, because of how much the "flat screen revolution" changed what the general public thought of tv's as a whole.

Pick up the signature.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page