LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 82

This screen is incredible. I've seen it so many times in the store, but at home with some good content in the dark, it is unbelievable how good it is. It is even better than I expected, and I've read all the rave reviews.

I don't experience any screendooring btw, sitting 10 ft away with good vision.

tubby497 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Sweet, that is the way it should be.........
post #1533 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustmethat View Post

In the case of the LG, the picture IS better than the Kuro, except for this one issue. I didn't notice it in the store because they had a very kinetic display loop playing, with splashing paint and stars exploding and whatnot, so it wasn't apparent. The issue was not even on my radar so I wasn't looking for it.

Last weekend I finally got to stop by my local best buy with a magnolia section. They had the 55ea9800 playing that loop from a thumb drive and all I could think was WOW.

Congrats to all the owners. The PQ was clearly superior to all other displays including the Sony 4k that was playing its own loop designed to highlight its PQ.

Now I have to talk to the wife about that gallery OLED.....

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #1534 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 PM

I'm not sure what color/black level settings to set to match a PS4 outputting in RGB full?

I'm getting black crush with TV at standard (or wide) color and black level low. It's a bit tricky figuring out the color space settings on the TV...

post #1535 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I also see the horizontal "lines" or screendoor and I sit about 6 feet away. It doesn't bother me very much, and I can live with it. I thought it might have something to do with the passive retarder layer because I've never owned a passive set and I'm thinking it could be something to do with it?

Also, why are you guys so intent on getting panel swaps so early? Do the dead/stuck pixels bother you during normal viewing? The reason I ask is because you have 1 year warranty (I think, might be more) and you could probably get an upgrade when the current model is completely sold through. I have a visible vertical band that's pretty large but it's only very rarely visible during content. I figure I can wait as long as possible before contacting LG and then maybe get an upgrade to the newer model for an extra bit of money. Run your TV like you stole it! that's how I've always been with TV's. I don't even bother checking for stuck/dead pixels. If I can't see it from normal viewing distance then I don't care. Of course, I'll check all that stuff before the warranty expires, but till then biggrin.gif
post #1536 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

It almost doesn't matter as the Samsung is in no way, shape, or form in full production. There are almost none anywhere when the unit has been out for 6 months. Production issues.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Yeppers.  You know when a company comes out at a show and apologizes and says that they're years away from having a product that things are big time bad.

IF they're able to solve the problems, I really do think that dedicated RGB emitters (with an extra large blue) will prove the best quality over LG's WRGB, and that the RGB approach will be exceeded only by a kind of TOLED stack where you have a single sub-pixel pixel (like DLP).

Samsung stops making OLED TVs due to LG’s dominance eek.gif

Source
post #1537 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Sadly, I think the high-end TV is going the way of the movie theater...
post #1538 of 5950 Old 04-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I also see the horizontal "lines" or screendoor and I sit about 6 feet away. It doesn't bother me very much, and I can live with it. I thought it might have something to do with the passive retarder layer because I've never owned a passive set and I'm thinking it could be something to do with it?

Also, why are you guys so intent on getting panel swaps so early? Do the dead/stuck pixels bother you during normal viewing? The reason I ask is because you have 1 year warranty (I think, might be more) and you could probably get an upgrade when the current model is completely sold through. I have a visible vertical band that's pretty large but it's only very rarely visible during content. I figure I can wait as long as possible before contacting LG and then maybe get an upgrade to the newer model for an extra bit of money. Run your TV like you stole it! that's how I've always been with TV's. I don't even bother checking for stuck/dead pixels. If I can't see it from normal viewing distance then I don't care. Of course, I'll check all that stuff before the warranty expires, but till then biggrin.gif
LG is definitely offering the standard one-year warranty here as far as I can tell. I might grab an ext. warranty before it's up. I'm a bit OCD also, and I find myself hunting out those pixels that I know are dead and also see them on occasion with actual content. I didn't mention it before, but I also have one vertical band that sounds like yours. I see the benefit in waiting until the 11th hour as well, but I'm impatient. redface.gif
post #1539 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I think that might be actually be the case. At least I see those scanlines on my Sony 50W685 which has passive 3D, so we're talking about different things in this thread.
post #1540 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I also see the horizontal "lines" or screendoor and I sit about 6 feet away. It doesn't bother me very much, and I can live with it.

I'm glad at least someone else here sees it! D-Nice said the same - he sees it, but it doesn't bother him much. Good to know I'm not nuts (or at least only a little nuts).
post #1541 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:

I'm glad at least someone else here sees it! D-Nice said the same - he sees it, but it doesn't bother him much. Good to know I'm not nuts (or at least only a little nuts).

I see it too, but I have to be closer than the 10-12 ft I'm at currently.

post #1542 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

LOL. Yeah, your definitely not nuts. I hope someone can confirm that it's possible for the passive retarder layer that is causing these horizontal "lines" I use my LG as a computer monitor and it's only really noticeable on bright white backgrounds. During content I don't really notice it. I hope that the 4K 65" won't have this issue as it will be full 1080p passive.

I guess one way to check if it's the passive thats doing it would be to get close enough to see if it's happening every second horizontal pixel. The passive layer, I believe cuts the horizontal res to 540 lines in 3D.
post #1543 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Saw my first LG Oled in best buy today and I had to ask where it was since it was lost between a 4K 65 inch sony and a 4K Samsung.It was on with a description logo so i had the manager put on the USB oled demonstration material.My first impression was this tv is too damn small especially next to the two 65 4K sets.Blacks on the set were pretty amazing and gave nice contrast to the bright colors in the demo.Yes I did see the screen door effect when i got close and next to the 4K sets this limitation really stands out.The curve was a bit silly on a set this size and just made the set seem smaller.I was surprised that the curve on the two 65 sets in the store did not turn me off.In a small room sitting directly in front the curve seemed to make some sense but i would have to spend more time with it to see if it causes image distortion.An oled is certainly in my future but it must be at least a 65 4K to make any sense.Biggest WOW factor in the store was the sharp 70 inch Q series that upconverts to 4 K.

Matt
post #1544 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Sadly, I think the high-end TV is going the way of the movie theater...

I think if the Kuro and Elite have taught us anything, it is that display companies can not make it profitable going after the high end market anymore. OLED is never going to profitable for them if they can not get them moving in huge volumes. The other competing LCD tech like FALD and Quantum Dots, while not as good, have a price/performance ratio that OLED can not currently match. Once you start seeing the Chinese printing method OLED sets start showing up at Costco, then you will know OLED is ready to dominate.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #1545 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Well, thanks guys I now see the sde and never would've noticed If not for this forum!! Haha, oh well. As long as my new panel is dead pixel free (or very few out in the corners, which SHOULDNT be tolerable but in this case it may have to be) I'll still be happy. I love this damn tv. But yeah, you bas****ds, the sde is there.

Vinnie, you definitely want an ew with this tv, especially for ocd people which is basically everyone that comes to these forums (no offense guys, but the average consumer doesn't know any of the jargon we throw around because they just don't care enough, you know it's true). There are just far too many variables here, when that 11th hour hits do yourself a favor.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #1546 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Well, thanks guys I now see the sde and never would've noticed If not for this forum!! Haha, oh well. As long as my new panel is dead pixel free (or very few out in the corners, which SHOULDNT be tolerable but in this case it may have to be) I'll still be happy. I love this damn tv. But yeah, you bas****ds, the sde is there.

Vinnie, you definitely want an ew with this tv, especially for ocd people which is basically everyone that comes to these forums (no offense guys, but the average consumer doesn't know any of the jargon we throw around because they just don't care enough, you know it's true). There are just far too many variables here, when that 11th hour hits do yourself a favor.

Please call it CDO.  In alphabetical order, like it should be.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1547 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

And it's true that there isn't much of a high end market to speak of at all. Pick ten people off the street and ask them what a 6k tv could potentially provide over a $500 one and they may throw the term "1080p" at you. Tell them they're both 1080p and 10 out of 10 wouldn't have the slightest clue what to think of next. Only on the internet do I meet people who find this stuff interesting.

In truth, I've never even spoken with a sales rep who I wasn't educating. They don't like selling stuff to me because turning the backlight and color to 100 while telling me how many hertz the tv has and that the nfl endorses Samsung doesn't impress me.

Its actually quite frustrating. When picking out my av receiver 3 reps at electronics expo didn't even know what lossless audio was. And you can forget whoever answers the phones at customer service centers.

Actually, the LG tech who came to look at my set didn't know what a subpixel was. When I showed him how I had 8 out on blue he said "yeah , they're definitely dead, no doubt about it. But why only on blue I wonder?" And I told him it's the blue sub....pix....el.....that's dead.....c'mon man....

Then, there's the internet where everyone educates me. Where are you people in real life?
vinnie97, Jason626 and tgm1024 like this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
post #1548 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

And it's true that there isn't much of a high end market to speak of at all. Pick ten people off the street and ask them what a 6k tv could potentially provide over a $500 one and they may throw the term "1080p" at you. Tell them they're both 1080p and 10 out of 10 wouldn't have the slightest clue what to think of next. Only on the internet do I meet people who find this stuff interesting.

In truth, I've never even spoken with a sales rep who I wasn't educating. They don't like selling stuff to me because turning the backlight and color to 100 while telling me how many hertz the tv has and that the nfl endorses Samsung doesn't impress me.

Its actually quite frustrating. When picking out my av receiver 3 reps at electronics expo didn't even know what lossless audio was. And you can forget whoever answers the phones at customer service centers.

Actually, the LG tech who came to look at my set didn't know what a subpixel was. When I showed him how I had 8 out on blue he said "yeah , they're definitely dead, no doubt about it. But why only on blue I wonder?" And I told him it's the blue sub....pix....el.....that's dead.....c'mon man....

Then, there's the internet where everyone educates me. Where are you people in real life?
Lmao so true biggrin.gif
post #1549 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL!  Thanks for the chuckle man.  The funniest @#$% in life is always the true stuff.  Every time.  And I do feel your pain.

In computing, there hasn't been ONE FIOS rep, or ONE Comcast rep who I didn't have to completely REeducate on just WTF a network is and how it works.

As far as TVs, the average sales grunt is roughly midway between a walking meat puppet and Rain Man.  HOWEVER I did meet two guys at my local Best Buy that actually did know what they were talking about.  One even knew immediately what "4:4:4" meant!  That's rare.

But then I bump into the BB guy who was convinced that selling a customer the $1099 1 meter AudioQuest HDMI cable (no joke) was a good idea.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1550 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM

tongue.gif Shockingly, the panel replacement already arrived, and the tech(s) is arriving tomorrow morning to install it. *gulp*
post #1551 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

tongue.gif Shockingly, the panel replacement already arrived, and the tech(s) is arriving tomorrow morning to install it. *gulp*
Ask him if you need a $1099 1m cable in order to get the best picture.
vinnie97 likes this.

post #1552 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice vinnie I'll be awaiting your results, I'm still hoping newly manufactured replacement panels are inspected more thoroughly for defects before being shipped to those customers ocd enough to demand said replacements! Crossing my fingers for you! (and by default, myself).

And hey, if snoop lion wants to buy those diamond plated hdmi cables with the crystal ionic embers coursing through them, who are you to say he won't have better pq???? Pfft, know-it-all's.

But yeah, cut a $100 monster cable open and you will clearly see what you're paying for: lots and lots of.....insulation filler to make the cable look thicker.

It's all about Mediabridge baby. Theyre always 10 bucks on Amazon, they're always the most recent high speed version, and not one of the at least ten of them I've purchased has failed.

Pick up the signature.
post #1553 of 5950 Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I don't think the horizontal lines are just the retarder. I think you're most likely picking up the horizontal "screen door". The pixel gap does seem large.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #1554 of 5950 Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Good luck with the panel change tongue.gif hope the new one ia fault free and stays that way.
post #1555 of 5950 Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM

Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

hope the new one ia fault free and stays that way.

LOL
Nice one
post #1556 of 5950 Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Assassin's Creed Black Flag looks incredible on this TV. The sky is so blue, and the sun is so bright! 

I gotta admit I like the 'Wide' color setting. I've never seen blue sky rendered so real before. Switching color back to 'Standard' or 'BT709' just doesn't give the same sensation of real life blue sky.

That's not just based on AC4, but also a ton of photos from interfacelift, like this one http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/3170/baros_maldives.html (interfacelift is a great source of high quality high resolution photos btw)

post #1557 of 5950 Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

But then I bump into the BB guy who was convinced that selling a customer the $1099 1 meter AudioQuest HDMI cable (no joke) was a good idea.
Step into the audiophile world and this price is nothing. Some of the cables from the amps to the speakers are $10K for 3FT.
post #1558 of 5950 Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Good luck with the panel change tongue.gif hope the new one ia fault free and stays that way.
I am not getting my hopes up, but I'll at least give this one a proper stress test/break-in for 300'ish hours. wink.gif
vaktmestern likes this.
post #1559 of 5950 Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Vinnie I'm waiting to hear about your new panel with bated breath.

congrats Masterbrew I hadn't realized you actually got the set. What system are you playing ac4 on? Unfortunately I got 100% on it on my xbr5 frown.gif really wish now I'd waited. On ps4 at least that game looks phenomenal.

Pick up the signature.
post #1560 of 5950 Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Vinnie I'm waiting to hear about your new panel with bated breath.

congrats Masterbrew I hadn't realized you actually got the set. What system are you playing ac4 on? Unfortunately I got 100% on it on my xbr5 frown.gif really wish now I'd waited. On ps4 at least that game looks phenomenal.

On PS4. It is unreal how much better it looks than on my old LCD. It looks like a different game on a different generation console. I too wish I had saved the experience.

Which color mode do you prefer?

While 'Wide' might not give the truest representation of the source material and 'Standard' is recommended, I feel it is a shame to miss out on those glorious colors just because content is unfortunately still mastered and delivered at the outdated BT709 standard.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page