LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2281 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 702
No, you mean there was another person who actually owns On OLED and was tired of the people who have never seen one in person claiming to be experts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

The problem is 98% of the know it alls who are posting on this forum have never even owned a OLED, they suffer from "me to syndrome". They just want to bash either a display they do not own or made a different choice. LG has spent Millions perfecting this technology, it would not be on the street if it was not ready to sell. This forum is full of people who make statement like, "that curve is a deal breaker", yet all the people who actually own or watch the set state you really cannot tell after a couple minutes. There are some excellent debates about Buying a plasma and waiting for larger OLED's down the road, but I assure you most of the negative written on this forum are people who have never even seen and or do not own an OLED.

There are a few posts to that effect but really, I think most people are just discussing what's been going on to the few owners on here. Totally agree about the curve, but this particular thread is more populated with people actually interested in buying it then not. They've been waiting on news with their fingers on the trigger. And if anything I personally posted stopped them from buying it then I'm sorry, but some issues are dealbreakers to certain people while others aren't and everything I posted was truly honest and a cornucopia of good and bad, many times backed with pics. As much as you're enjoying your new set, the price you paid for the quality of it, it absolutely, positively has not in any way shape or form been "perfected." First year owners are those who help a company perfect said technology, it doesn't happen in a factory. There are many thing LG could have done better, which doesn't take away one bit from my love affair with this tv, either

I also don't know why you're bashing 4k adopters so passionately. Is it because you want to reassure yourself that you did the right thing by staying with 1080p? Because 4k is a higher resolution.....it is and will be objectively better. What marrs it now are that all the displays are edge lit, without hdmi 2.0 and there is a huge lack of content. I agreed with you in an earlier post for the most part, but then you seemed to take it to a very condescending level. Blind consumerism is silly, but not EVERYONE who went 4k is a stupid, blind consumer. It's a definite future and denying its place on your HT years down the line is like having stayed with CRT this whole time.
vinnie97 likes this.

If I sow a wind now, I will reap a storm.
post #2283 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, you mean there was another person who actually owns On OLED and was tired of the people who have never seen one in person claiming to be experts?

No, Conan is an owner who has a reputation for getting pretentious, it would seem. Lol I had no idea he got punted.

post #2284 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:

The problem is 98% of the know it alls who are posting on this forum have never even owned a OLED, they suffer from "me to syndrome". They just want to bash either a display they do not own or made a different choice. LG has spent Millions perfecting this technology, it would not be on the street if it was not ready to sell. This forum is full of people who make statement like, "that curve is a deal breaker", yet all the people who actually own or watch the set state you really cannot tell after a couple minutes. There are some excellent debates about Buying a plasma and waiting for larger OLED's down the road, but I assure you most of the negative written on this forum are people who have never even seen and or do not own an OLED.

That's just silly.  The number of people who own an OLED can fill a thimble.  If you apply the "gotta own one to talk about it" criteria at large, then we'll have a nearly empty AVS and a lot of important opinions and very important information will be lost.

New poster, please be aware that this forum is filled with graphics and imaging professionals for a large number of years.  If you wish to believe that means that the bulk of us are yelling from the rooftops "hey I'm an expert" then do so, but please avoid arguments like this one openly.  People of very many backgrounds are trying their best to understand this new technology, and if that means bringing past information to bear, then we'll do so.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #2285 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Quote:

No, Conan is an owner who has a reputation for getting pretentious, it would seem. Lol I had no idea he got punted.

I'm assuming it was him the moderator was talking about.  And it was only from a single thread (the OLED motion blur one).  No biggie...folks get hot under the collar easily and there's definitely a full moon over AVS the last few days.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #2286 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a forum for the owners of the LG OLED, not for people to Troll to post made up BS. I do not go on the 4K owners forum trolling to bash their decision. They have every right to spend their money on their sets and enjoy the hell out of them. I for one trust CNET as the true experts in the industry and not hobbyist looking to spread false hoods. I suggest anyone prior to making a large investment, ignore the rhetoric on this forum and read what the experts are saying. The team at CNET truly are experts of Home Theater and their option is much more valid than my own an most of the people on this forum. Even Sony sells a $15,000 OLED in their professional line? OLED is the future of display technology, that is a fact.
post #2287 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I'm assuming it was him the moderator was talking about.  And it was only from a single thread (the OLED motion blur one).  No biggie...folks get hot under the collar easily and there's definitely a full moon over AVS the last few days.

I think there were a few very condescending posts from him. The majority came during his debate with you about motion processing, but even before that....

post #2288 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The moderators have asked repeatedly that we not directly confront such folks though.  It's hard not to, believe me---I'm horribly bad at taking the high road when provoked, but I think we ought to try harder on the flagging thing.

New posters also often mistake this for a usenet style arena or gaming forum where anything goes.  I've noticed a definite uptick in heavy-handed moderator responses lately (not Mark Rubin though---he's exceedingly patient---don't know how he does it).

post #2289 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
No one here is bashing this set we just want to know the facts I want to get this set I really do but some of these issues are holding me back.
Quote:

One person who watched 6 hours straight of letter box movies (99.999% of people would never do this). On a brand new display so the rest of us who actually respect our display enough to take care of it should purchase a 4 k TV which has a no better picture than 1080p from ten feet away? Yes maybe that one person foolish enough to do this should not own an OLED. CNET has it right, ("4 K is Stupid"smile.gif

OLED is the greatest advancement in home theater since HDTV. Next somebody is going to come on this forum a blame OLED because his child through a wii remote through the glass, take some responsibility for the way you treat your equipment and if you do not have the discipline to do so, then watch an inferior in every way LED/LCD 4K TV.

First of all watching nothing but letter box movies isn't being disrespectful never mind 6 hours and no where does LG say to take care and run only 16:9 for the first xxx hours in fact LG doesn't seem to thing there's any chance of burn in why else would they leave out a pixel switcher and a scrolling bar, loads of "normal" people will watch a trilogy one after the other.
tgm1024 and herpderp like this.
post #2290 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a forum for the owners of the LG OLED, not for people to Troll to post made up BS. I do not go on the 4K owners forum trolling to bash their decision. They have every right to spend their money on their sets and enjoy the hell out of them. I for one trust CNET as the true experts in the industry and not hobbyist looking to spread false hoods. I suggest anyone prior to making a large investment, ignore the rhetoric on this forum and read what the experts are saying. The team at CNET truly are experts of Home Theater and their option is much more valid than my own an most of the people on this forum. Even Sony sells a $15,000 OLED in their professional line? OLED is the future of display technology, that is a fact.

4k is ALSO the future of television design, which is ALSO a fact. You may not be bashing 4k owners on their turf, but you're doing it here. And like tgm and I said there are less than a handful of owners on here, while the rest seem very interested in what we have to say, and trying to make up their minds on whether or not to spend their hard earned cash.

That Conan guy ALSO said there were a bunch of trolls on here, while I don't agree. It's true, his posts were indeed very similar. I personally think we've had a pretty troll free and helpful discussion on this thread. I was mad at first when these things happened to me because I had no idea they would and I came to the forum very opinionated and emotional, feeling as though I'd wasted hard earned money. I've since calmed down and put this entire thing into perspective, apologized and explained myself. Since then it's been all good as far as I'm concerned, and people with their hands on the trigger SHOULD be on this forum, it would have helped me a great deal if I came and read these things before purchasing.
herpderp likes this.

post #2291 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a forum for the owners of the LG OLED, not for people to Troll to post made up BS.

And yet it was I, a non owner, who came up with the idea to run color slides which seems to have helped.

There is no one making up "BS", we're just applying past knowledge to help solve problems and discuss possible solutions.  Please stop this.

Theplague13 and Yappadappadu like this.

post #2292 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Oy vey the only problem with what you're saying is CNET and other review sites have the set for a week or two and then have to send the set back so they only have a small window to play with so issues that pop up later in the sets live don't show up on the reviews and what about the cherry picking that happens too, how many LCD sets have these reviews said to be free of clouding when it fact its as much as a lottery as ever.
vinnie97, herpderp and Theplague13 like this.
post #2293 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Tgm your color slide idea was indeed genious. I think pixel flipper is far too aggressive for this set, and I was nervous to use it with all the pixels failing so soon into their lifetime. and for both Vinnie and I it seems as though your method helped tremendously. I have not used pixel flipper once since getting my new panel and I have only 2 dead subs as opposed to 13; with a method for reducing perceived uneven wear that doesn't "stress test" anything.
tgm1024 likes this.

post #2294 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And actually.....after going over this one more time I've realized that I don't think there has even been ONE SINGLE example of such a post. Who on this thread ever bashed one of the 3-4 owners? When did that ever even happen?

post #2295 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:

One person who watched 6 hours straight of letter box movies (99.999% of people would never do this). On a brand new display so the rest of us who actually respect our display enough to take care of it should purchase a 4 k TV which has a no better picture than 1080p from ten feet away? Yes maybe that one person foolish enough to do this should not own an OLED. CNET has it right, ("4 K is Stupid"smile.gif
Excuse me, but the set was broken in for 300 hours prior, and for you to suggest that is out of the ordinary shows you're just being an apologist. Many, MANY movies are in letterbox format, and if someone were to purchase this set to predominately watch movies, this scenario can easily happen.

The rest of your poor analogy and demeaning post isn't worth the data that it took to post it. FYI, I have a ZT60 plasma in the other room, so please keep your assumptions to yourself.
herpderp and Yappadappadu like this.
post #2296 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

This forum is for LG OLED owners, if you are not one and all you have to add is sarcasm, hear say and negative BS, you are a Troll. Trolling is against the forum rules so hopefully some of the trolls who do not own an LG. OLED which several can be found on the last four pages will soon be blocked by the moderator you keep calling for. 4K TV's are not real until there is true consistency in format and content, there is no true standard. I would love to see a 84" $4k OLED that a non Doctor or Lawyer can afford. For a 55" set 4k makes little sense to me but to each their own. FYI, I love plasmas and believe buying a new plasma makes perfect sense, great black levels, longevity and picture quality.
post #2297 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This forum is for LG OLED owners, if you are not one and all you have to add is sarcasm, hear say and negative BS, you are a Troll. Trolling is against the forum rules so hopefully some of the trolls who do not own an LG. OLED which several can be found on the last four pages will soon be blocked by the moderator you keep calling for. 4K TV's are not real until there is true consistency in format and content. I would love to see a 84" $4k OLED that a no Doctor or Lawyer can afford. For a 55" set 4k makes little sense to me but to each their own.

Dude I'm fairly new to AVS but I've been very active on this thread for about a month now and I can promise you that the only troll here right now is yourself.

Nobody, not one person added "sarcasm and negative bs" to the few owners on here so just stop. You're only degrading your case further with every post.
Yappadappadu likes this.

post #2298 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Tgm your color slide idea was indeed genious. I think pixel flipper is far too aggressive for this set, and I was nervous to use it with all the pixels failing so soon into their lifetime. and for both Vinnie and I it seems as though your method helped tremendously. I have not used pixel flipper once since getting my new panel and I have only 2 dead subs as opposed to 13; with a method for reducing perceived uneven wear that doesn't "stress test" anything.
As a plasma owner, I'm accustomed to this slide break-in malarkey, but I was happy to forgo it on the first panel (since it came with 4 dead subpixels and I was feeling impatient anyhow). It was a wise suggestion from TGM for sure...who's not an owner but is about the furthest thing from a troll on this forum.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #2299 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

As a plasma owner, I'm accustomed to this slide break-in malarkey, but I was happy to forgo it on the first panel (since it came with 4 dead subpixels and I was feeling impatient anyhow). It was a wise suggestion from TGM for sure...who's not an owner but is about the furthest thing from a troll on this forum.

I know the slides are used on plasma as well, as they came from a plasma thread but I'm willing to bet never using pixel flipper and instead ONLY reverting to slides has helped me not lose unnecessary pixels.

post #2300 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 06:54 PM

Certainly a possibility! I stress tested my TV pretty extensively...it basically received no break from either slides or full-screen content (aside from being left off for one evening) for 300 hours. Both subpixel failures that occurred after the first bootup appeared in the first 50 hours.
post #2301 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:

It's great how you're accusing both the dead pixel issue and the BI issue to us "screwing up"...it's actually you who is trolling other the other owners with these implications.
Good point...you and I are apparently the only hapless bums who abused our preciouses (LOTR on the braiiin!). tongue.gif
tgm1024 and Theplague13 like this.
post #2302 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Good point...you and I are apparently the only hapless bums who abused our preciouses (LOTR on the braiiin!). tongue.gif

Haha, well I think as far as owners go it's just us, masterbrew and conan. Masterbrew had 35 dead subs on that first demo model!

Luckily I got a panel with so few dead pixels its a secret now that only fire can tell smile.gif
tgm1024 likes this.

post #2303 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Rats, dang darblet already broke on me. Just gets no power whatsoever anymore, had it a week. Totally off topic but I really love that thing frown.gif

I have horrible luck. If there's just one bad onion in a batch I'm always sure to be the guy that gets it....like that dude from Lost lol

post #2304 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rats, dang darblet already broke on me. Just gets no power whatsoever anymore, had it a week. Totally off topic but I really love that thing frown.gif

I have horrible luck. If there's just one bad onion in a batch I'm always sure to be the guy that gets it....like that dude from Lost lol

You do seem to be the filter/minesweeper for the rest of us.  I suppose you raise the likelihood of us getting a good one?  If it helps any, "thanks!"  (LOL)....hang in there man!

Quote:

Quote:

I've been hoping for this technology to succeed for a very long time.  All videophiles have.  LOL that I seem to be lumped in as someone with an agenda to bring negative BS.  Good grief.  And my jokes about IR messages returning to LG as being trolling?  I'm still not sure what to say to such a stretch.  Yikes.

Dont worry tgm, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone reading the thread the only insulting one was in fact him.

Thanks.  So long as he's not the other guy :), he may come around: I think it can take awhile for new posters to get the sense of the seriousness of AVS as opposed to other "fan" style forums.

post #2305 of 7005 Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You do seem to be the filter/minesweeper for the rest of us.  I suppose you raise the likelihood of us getting a good one?  If it helps any, "thanks!"  (LOL)....hang in there man!

Thanks.  So long as he's not the other guy smile.gif, he may come around: I think it can take awhile for new posters to get the sense of the seriousness of AVS as opposed to other "fan" style forums.

They do seem a bit similar, and he'd have reason to pick on you after that spat wink.gif

But I'm not gonna be a jerk and make assumptions about him.

You're right about AVS being different. It's no gamefaqs, that's for sure, and I learned it myself at first. But it's better this way and that's why I stick around. People on here can actually have helpful discussions instead of just cursing each other out. But as you calling it a "serious" forum we can still make jokes, in fact you were just trying to lighten the mood yourself!

Everything I said about the tv was pure honesty so call me ocd, call me a pixel peeper, or what have you, but a lot of people want to know these things instead of finding out after shelling out the money, and there aren't many owners to share, so how can I regret honesty? I even admitted to certain things being ocd issues when I thought as much, and dealbreakers at other times when I thought as much. And I'm lucky to have a good second panel. It is true that I cannot notice my dead pixels anymore. My first one was different.

But never once did I tell anyone flat out "don't buy this tv!" Or "this tech is objectively bad!" You didn't, the other non owners didn't, vinnie didn't, nobody did. Everyone wants OLED to succeed. But it doesn't pay to be an apologist, either. Nor is it realistic to be blind.

If we were your typical "so a guy walks into Best Buy" types, we wouldn't waste our time even posting about televisions. Nor would we be looking into such extravagant sets when the same money can buy you something in 80 inches.
vinnie97 and herpderp like this.

post #2306 of 7005 Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
They do seem a bit similar, and he'd like reason to pick on you after that spat wink.gif

But I'm not gonna be a jerk and make assumptions abobackim.

You're right about AVS being different. It's no gamefaqs, thastore.or sure, andnoble arned it myself at first. But it's better this way and that's why I stick around. People on here can actually have helpful discussions instead of just cursing each other out. But as you calling it a "serious" forum we can still make jokes, in fact you were just trying to lighten the mood yourself!

Everything I said about the tv was pure honesty so call me ocd, call me a pixel peeper, or what have you, but a lot of people want to know these things instead of finding out after shelling out the money, and there aren't many owners to share, so how can I regret honesty? I even admitted to certain things being ocd issues when I thought as much, and dealbreakers at other times when I thought as much. And I'm lucky to have a good second panel. It is true that I cannot notice my dead pixels anymore. My first one was different.

But never once did I tell anyone flat out "don't buy this tv!" Or "this tech is objectively bad!" You didn't, the other non owners didn't, vinnie didn't, nobody did. Everyone wants OLED to succeed. But it doesn't pay to be an apologist, either. Nor is it realistic to be blind.

If we were your typical "so a guy walks into Best Buy" types, we wouldn't waste our time even posting about televisions. Nor would we be looking into such extravagant sets when the same money can buy you something in 80 inches.

This isn't gamefaq ? oh I'VE BEEN POSTING IN THE WRONG FOURMS.

I think when John lewis get this TV back in stock I might order this TV I'll leave all the sticker's on and if I see anything I don't like I'll send it back can just say I don't like the curve and under UK law they'll have to take it back we have the right to inpect the TV like we would be able to in a store.

Posted on moble so might be errors this site needs an android app.
post #2307 of 7005 Old 05-05-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

I think when John lewis get this TV back in stock I might order this TV I'll leave all the sticker's on and if I see anything I don't like I'll send it back can just say I don't like the curve and under UK law they'll have to take it back we have the right to inpect the TV like we would be able to in a store.

"see anything I don't like" ? Like what?

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #2308 of 7005 Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Been live chatting with Lg support on whats they Dead oled pixels policy here in Norway.
8dead sub is max, but 0 policy on they white sub pixels.

Not bad at all. cool.gif
post #2309 of 7005 Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Here's my baby, EA970, being set up in its new home.

OLED up top, Ikea down below.

I kind of dug the design of the speakers of the EA9800, but another part of me was annoyed by their unnecessariness.

vaktmestern and herpderp like this.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
post #2310 of 7005 Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

Been live chatting with Lg support on whats they Dead oled pixels policy here in Norway.
8dead sub is max, but 0 policy on they white sub pixels.

Not bad at all. cool.gif

8 dead subpixels sounds bad to me.

LG 55EA9700 OLED
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page