LG 55EA9800 55" OLED Owner's thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2791 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
coopson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Just been watching South Park off DLNA and at the start where its white text on black background I'm having to change the brightness for each episode one episode the blacks are bang on at 50 then another it need to be at 60 then other that need to be at 45 an episode started and it must have been 1% grey and it just looked so bad, looked like LCD backlight bleed and lines every where. frown.gif
coopson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2792 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post

So is that exactly how it also looks on your sets @ plague & vinnie?
Very similar. I haven't taken a photo with my new phone because I am weary of looking for such, but I am sure I'll see if I check after the next letterbox.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2793 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post

Just been watching South Park off DLNA and at the start where its white text on black background I'm having to change the brightness for each episode one episode the blacks are bang on at 50 then another it need to be at 60 then other that need to be at 45 an episode started and it must have been 1% grey and it just looked so bad, looked like LCD backlight bleed and lines every where. frown.gif
Raising brightness will show the inherently nonuniform IGZO backplane they're using. I wouldn't let that "plague" your thoughts too much. biggrin.gif As to why you're constantly having to make adjustments, that's a bit of an oddity. Sounds source-related.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2794 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Yeah that's. ....really bizarre. Did you calibrate it with a pattern?

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2795 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
A new absurdity arises......look.......my god this is horrible


Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2796 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Get ready to go from Hershey park to Six flags because this ride is far from over

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2797 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Whoa, what the...a newly discovered blotchiness? Just great...something new to obsess over/look for just when I was calming down.

Time to grab your effin' seats!
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2798 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Well I paused Netflix and that was right there out of nowhere. It flickered around to different parts of the screen a few times, spazzming into different shapes/sizes, then settled in that spot just like that for about five minutes and then completely disappeared.

WHAT??!?

That is no nitpickers qualm...terriffying! It's gone now but I thought everything was just collapsing for a few minutes. I wish I caught the whole event on video.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2799 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Ghost in the OLED machine...I'm glad it's gone, but the question now becomes, will it come back?! eek.gif
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2800 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

Yeah that's. ....really bizarre. Did you calibrate it with a pattern?

You should have one perfect number for pure black without a hint of gray, it's pretty easy to find on this set. Just get a pure black slide and raise brightness in a dark room until you see even the slightest hint of gray, then lower it one notch and leave it at that setting all the time. Sources can sometimes change that setting but you can't stress over that as long as you know you're at the correct number for your panel as all quality sources should adhere to it. If not there's another issue at hand. On my first panel "true black" was at 53 and on this panel it's 51.

ALSO "black level" in "picture option" must be set to either high for rgb full source, or low for rgb limited source; that's very important. All my old tv's used to change that setting automatically based on the signal it received but this set doesn't.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2801 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Ghost in the OLED machine...I'm glad it's gone, but the question now becomes, will it come back?! eek.gif

If that even happens even one or two more times I'm going to have to either get another panel or ditch the tv altogether. That is pure psychotic behavior for any tv ever.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2802 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Artwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Posts: 4,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 203
OLED that looks like trash is still better than LCD!
Artwood is offline  
post #2803 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

OLED that looks like trash is still better than LCD!

No. No it is not. Any tv that does what I just described on the regular needs to be in the garbage and you know it. Go away with your completely off topic and utterly random LCD bashing.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2804 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

A new absurdity arises......look.......my god this is horrible


Now your scaring me. eek.gif
Vegas oled is offline  
post #2805 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Artwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Posts: 4,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Tell me oh geniuses--if OLED doesn't get its act together and keeps having so many issues that are detailed here--aren't we headed for the LCD only apocalypse?

Civilization has declined to the point that we're going to have to put OLED in the garbage so we will have to watch LCD garbage!

Who can take it?
Artwood is offline  
post #2806 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 505
The blue blob is the scariest thing I have seen. Might just be an OLED bubble
Vegas oled is offline  
post #2807 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Watching it spaz out and twitch all over the screen frantically raised my heart rate abnormally. I could only get a pic after it stood still. I thought my tv was truly broken....and then it was gone.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2808 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Artwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Posts: 4,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Theplague13: Are you afraid of the Blue Blob? How many Blue Blobs have to happen with OLED until the LCD only apocalypse really does take place?

I'll tell you this--if the LCD only apocalypse does take place then I will be right and 10 boZILLION geniuses here will be wrong!

Pray for OLED--pray that the Blue Blob doesn't kill us all!
Artwood is offline  
post #2809 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Theplague13: Are you afraid of the Blue Blob? How many Blue Blobs have to happen with OLED until the LCD only apocalypse really does take place?

I'll tell you this--if the LCD only apocalypse does take place then I will be right and 10 boZILLION geniuses here will be wrong!

Pray for OLED--pray that the Blue Blob doesn't kill us all!

Artwood I post mainly on this thread but subscribe to them all in this section. Some like Conan and Vegas complained of trolls and I disagreed with them until "meeting" you. Your psychosis is clearly apparent and you never let up enough to show that anything you say is meant tongue in cheek. Read a history book. Watch the news. If hating LCD tv's is your brain working at maximum capacity then you have a lot of work ahead of you to get whatever problems you have in check. In the meantime I'm going to report every post of yours on this thread meant to the effect of disrespecting history. Now go away you inconsequential troll.
greenland and tgm1024 like this.

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2810 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Referencing an apocalypse is not disrespecting history. Is it hyperbolic? Probably, but let's not get overly PC about his analogies of doom (what can I say, I'm a fan and find myself in agreement with the fellow quite a fair bit, though he has gone a bit off the rails recently...maybe the eve of the unveiling of the 2014 models has him twitchy). That being said, no need for the "genius" condescension coming from him either. I grabbed this model *because* it's the last best hope for ultimate PQ before some unforeseen (or foreseen if you're the conspiracy minded type) fate befalls us all (or I myself meet an untimely death). I surely don't feel like I have until 2016 for LG to get their crap together. Call it a foreboding sense of my impending doom, w/e. wink.gif "Holocaust" is a bit much and arguably inappropriate, but he fortunately didn't use that terminology on this occasion.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2811 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Tell me oh geniuses--if OLED doesn't get its act together and keeps having so many issues that are detailed here--aren't we headed for the LCD only apocalypse?
We need more owners..........there are not many in this thread .

I will say that this thread moves, as of this moment, as far as a TV, this might be the fastest moving thread some days.......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #2812 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Not giving up on LG and the truth is I fortunately have had zero issues, I am curious if anyone who has purchased the LG has seen the Samsung in person and how they compare?
Vegas oled is offline  
post #2813 of 5915 Old 05-13-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #2814 of 5915 Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^While you had it. biggrin.gif We're an obsessive bunch (I don't blame anyone for a second because of the price these have commanded, even now). wink.gif
tgm1024 likes this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #2815 of 5915 Old 05-14-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 505
What OLED does to me. I wake up every morning and watch the morning news shows drinking my coffee just to see the picture quality. This has been for 2 weeks, other flat screens I love but the experience calms down after 1-2 days.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #2816 of 5915 Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Referencing an apocalypse is not disrespecting history.

Referencing the apocalypse per say may not be disrespecting history, but many of the the things he says elsewhere do. He contributes nothing but useless, outrageous banter. Just saying that's kind of what a troll is.....

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2817 of 5915 Old 05-14-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

What OLED does to me. I wake up every morning and watch the morning news shows drinking my coffee just to see the picture quality. This has been for 2 weeks, other flat screens I love but the experience calms down after 1-2 days.

Yeah I constantly find reasons to spend massive amounts of time in front of it lol,,,,it's crazy

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2818 of 5915 Old 05-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post


Damn.

I'm getting a serious case of technolust thinking about watching Game of Thrones on an OLED.

 

I'm thinking of rewatching on bluray when that comes out. The currently available season 4 episodes are pretty badly compressed, even the 1080p ones.

 

Come june I will definitely rewatch True Detective. Watching it at 720p on my crummy old LCD, all the time I was thinking this TV shows is so absolutely beautiful that it deserves no less than to be watched on a top of the line TV at bluray quality!

Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #2819 of 5915 Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theplague13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 326
So are we honestly thinking that this pretty objectively noticed uneven wear (unless all of us photoshopped our pictures for some reason) is only capable of occurring on a portion of the panels??

Vinnie97, one of the kindest, most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before we all get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Pick up the signature.
Theplague13 is offline  
post #2820 of 5915 Old 05-14-2014, 12:51 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post

So are we honestly thinking that this pretty objectively noticed uneven wear (unless all of us photoshopped our pictures for some reason) is only capable of occurring on a portion of the panels??
Speaking of trollish remarks, I've just been told in another thread that it's "overstated" and misidentified. rolleyes.gif
vinnie97 is offline  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Lg 55ea9800 Oled Hdtv , Lg
Gear in this thread - 55ea9800 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off