Liked: 550

Did you guys see this?

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/inventor-paul-darbee-dead-66/108636

Quote:

Inventor Paul Darbee Dead At 66

By Greg Tarr On Oct 4 2013 - 3:14pm

DarbeeVision founder Paul Darbee
DarbeeVision founder Paul Darbee

Anaheim, Calif. – Paul Darbee, 66, longtime CE industry veteran and founder of DarbeeVision, which sells video-enhancement technologies, died suddenly Sept. 23, as his company was making preparations for its appearance at CEDIA Expo.

Born Feb. 3, 1947, Darbee was a visionary inventor and entrepreneur who helped found remote-control resource Universal Electronics, and developed the preprogrammed universal remote control.

For the past several years he had steered DarbeeVision, a company he founded, to market digital video-enhancement technology, including the Darblet, an add-on device that brings 3D-like visual depth cues into video images, using Darbee Visual Presence (DVP) technology.

This year the company introduced the Cobalt, a cellphone-sized video-enhancement device targeting gamers.

His company has been working to have manufacturers of TVs and peripheral devices embed his technology into their products.

At the recent CEDIA Expo, the company showed its latest system that adds video enhancement to video surveillance footage, to help clean up images for security and law enforcement purposes.

Darbee used his love of physics and math to create ways to enhance lives through electronics. He was also a baseball enthusiast who could be found umpiring youth games in his spare time.

He is survived by his wife, Rochelle, and son, Adam. A remembrance celebration will take place at 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, in Orange Park Acres, Calif. 

Family and friends in the company said they are deeply determined to continue Darbee’s goal of having his technology in homes all over the globe.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
We need more industry leaders like Paul Darbee
That's really Devastating news , only 66 eek.gif..
post #3 of 13 Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Very, sad...particularly as he was entering into a new phase.

He was clearly interested in taking a fresh look at seemingly settled issues, and improving things for others.

Rest in peace.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I was told he was the original inventor of the universal remote control, back in the day....... He will be missed.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I was told he was the original inventor of the universal remote control, back in the day....... He will be missed.

The minor miracle he seems to have pulled off was a sort of "sharpening" that didn't mess with the fine-line calibration images.  It almost reminds me (but isn't!) of the (pretty common) 2D FFT algorithms where you convert spatial X,Y information into the two dimensional frequency domain, subtract a motion vector from it, convert back to spatial X,Y and >poof< the motion blur was gone.  *Extremely* expensive in floating point, and he's not doing anything like that at all.  Something like a successive subtraction (in integer!!!!) of a sequence of blurred versions of the image?  I didn't have time to fully read the patent.

I love visionaries.  Particularly in relation to vision.  No pun intended at all.  Sounds like he was on he edge of some truly great stuff in the future.  I'm saddened by that.  He's a version of Jobs and Tesla in a way.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #6 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is a really nice mention I found in the darbeevision site itself.

Quote:

Paul Darbee

In Memory of Paul Darbee

2/3/1947 - 9/23/2013

Paul Darbee, founder and CEO of DarbeeVision, passed away on Monday, September 23rd, in Santa Ana, California. He was 66.

A truly visionary inventor and entrepreneur with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, Paul’s passion for all things combined with his engineering prowess allowed him to create some truly remarkable, one-of-a-kind technologies. The concept of taking something from the glimmer of an idea to a global phenomenon appealed greatly to Paul, and he made pursuing this his life’s work. From the universal remote control to the revolutionary image processing capabilities of DVP, Paul used his love of physics and math to create ways to enhance lives through technology.

For all of those lucky enough to have spent time with Paul, one thing was quickly evident – he had a sheer exuberance that could not be denied. From a well-timed, self-effacing quip to a thorough explanation of neurophysiology and brain theory, Paul‘s curiosity about how the world works and his outright enthusiasm for all things cerebral were contagious. People would come away from conversations with him feeling just a bit smarter than before. He had a keen sense of humor and inexorable wit, and he had a smile that lit up the room.

In addition to founding DarbeeVision, Paul held several U.S. patents in the fields of digital imaging, home automation, and consumer electronics. He guest lectured at Chapman University and mentored at their eVillage. He served on several panels, including CES and NCTA. As a member of Tech Coast Angels, he gave talks about patents and advised up-and-coming entrepreneurs. He was also a baseball aficionado who could be found umpiring youth games, with his characteristic enthusiasm, in his spare time.

Speaking of the technology he invented – in his own words – “It produces a stunning effect and I thought it would be a wonderful thing to somehow bring to the world.” His family and company are deeply saddened by his passing, yet are determined to continue on with Paul’s life work to achieve his ultimate dream:  having his technology inventions in the homes of people all over the globe. He will live on in the hearts of all who knew him, and through the legacy of his inventions.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The darblet is a good product. Sorry to see him go.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-09-2013, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm glad the Darbee Darblet bears his name, and I'm glad it's a part of my home theater system.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Another point I'd like to add is that his product is priced fairly for the benefits it confers. Not every business these days has fairness as a guiding ethic. Honest businesses usually have honest people at the top.

I hope his family is comforted by his honorable legacy.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Another point I'd like to add is that his product is priced fairly for the benefits it confers. Not every business these days has fairness as a guiding ethic. Honest businesses usually have honest people at the top.

Gonna disagree with you there.  This employs a lot of guessing on my part, but if anything he's charging far too much for it and would have done much better with a higher volume less expensive model.  I know a lot of people in computer graphics and video science, and not one of them (!) even knows the thing exists.  In fact I don't think hardly anyone outside of AVS does.  His company's not a charity----and not a non-profit corporation; it's a business, plain and simple.  If he charged higher for it, even fewer people would be using it.

The man's a visionary, sure.  But there's no "economic justice" implied here, and I don't know the margin he's able to operate at, but if it could have been lower I'm guessing that he would have done better.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't find anywhere what he actually died of.  Anyone know?

post #12 of 13 Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I don't know how you put a value on something like this but I know that when I read the first professional review the reviewer was actually stunned by what he saw. To paraphrase, I was very reluctant because I've seen so many products promising great improvements only to be disappointed by the results. I fully expected to see the same thing with the Darbbe Darblet. I was wrong. Compared to other video processors on the market priced at $1,000 or more, this product delivers at a fraction of the cost.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I don't know how you put a value on something like this but I know that when I read the first professional review the reviewer was actually stunned by what he saw. To paraphrase, I was very reluctant because I've seen so many products promising great improvements only to be disappointed by the results. I fully expected to see the same thing with the Darbbe Darblet. I was wrong. Compared to other video processors on the market priced at $1,000 or more, this product delivers at a fraction of the cost.

Naturally I agree with what you have said regarding the value of the Darblet. The appearance of the device may be unassuming, but what it achieves compared to many overpriced devices makes it a bargain at its price.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page