Should I sell my p55st30 for $900? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have owned this TV since Feb of last year. While it's still the best display I have seen there is one thing about it that has always annoyed me to the point of not enjoying it. Posterization in faces and greys. I used it with factory settings in all modes. D-nice settings and my own calibration(admittedly learned on the fly) with a idisplay3. I always ended up with scenes that would annoy me and distract me.
Perhaps I am asking for too much.
But does anyone have any opinions about what $900 can get now a days and if it's an improvement over my current TV.
I am very satisfied with black levels. And perhaps would like to go a bit bigger. I have no hesitation for going to LCD either.. but as I said I am a fan of black levels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
If you're not happy with that TV and have someone willing enough to pay $900 for it, i'd dump it in a hot minute (the TV isn't worth that much on the used market).

The only two suitable replacements for that TV would be the ST60 series as my first choice, with the S60 series running a distant 2nd. Both of these will outperform the ST30 in every picture quality category, and are the last Panasonic Plasmas that will ever be made (they're allegedly exiting the Plasma business by March 2014). Inventory is running low, and some sizes of some models are no longer available so you if you're going to consider one of the Panasonics, you might want to act fast before the one you want becomes unavailable.

As for LCDs, there is not a single model at any price that can compare to the Panasonic (or Samsung) Plasmas. I heavily auditioned the Sony W900A and W802A (among other 55" LCDs) at Magnolia and Audio Video Center and Pauls TV recently as a replacement for my 50" GT50 as well as reading all the posts about them here and on HDJ and ended up getting a 55ST60 and i'm extremely happy with the improvement in PQ over my GT50.

Just some food for thought. smile.gif
Shinyav likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you. Food for thought is exactly what I am looking for.
After some more reading even though the 60s improve image quality. Posterization still seems to be existent. Perhaps I just found something image quality wise to be extremely anal about.
I went and looked at some LCDs at magnolia room and black levels and unevenness was annoying me more than my TV.
Perhaps it's time to get a real calibrator in and see what he can do.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyav 
Perhaps it's time to get a real calibrator in and see what he can do.

According hdtvtest ST30 Benchmark Test Results it has ''mild posterization, though worse with poor sources'' so a pro can do very little about that. Try watching high quality sources for a while see if you can live with that..
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42st30b-p42st30-201105161138.htm
Shinyav likes this.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page