Which flatpanel TV for around $800 50"+ 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for some advice. I currently have a samsung TV that is about 5 years old. It's a 50" 720p plasma. The primary viewing position is approx. 13' away, and the closest is an off angle spot that is around 9' away. The TV in my bedroom is an old tube TV and the remote stopped working on it. The Samsung is our primary TV. The TV in the bedroom is a 27" and sits on a stand that is fairly low. I am thinking of putting a wall mount bracket in, mounting the 50" on the wall, and purchasing a new device for the living room. Our primary source is DirectTV.

I have a budget of $800, but am looking for the best value, so if a set at a little more is worth the money, my budget isn't set in stone. Abt is our local store and they have a customer appreciation sale going on this weekend, so if they have the best price, I would likely buy from them.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Clearwaterms;

I just purchased a JVC SP55M-C Smart TV in September at Costco for around that price... It's a good set with great sound and picture, BUT...... if you're looking for internet access STAY AWAY from this unit. It does not have a browser that the user can access, although one can log on to Netflix and Pandora you CANNOT add additional apps. JVC tech support stated that they do not have a browser software that is accessible by the user, only by the unit's internal programming. I was told that a browser is in development but at this time only JVC can add apps to the I.C.E. feature that is touted so highly by Amtran/JVC . This a very misleading marketing ploy used by Amtran/JVC. If I had known this I would not have purchased this HDTV from Costco, who offered to refund my purchase price. I like the other features and I have access through Roku on another HDTV so it was not worth my time and energy to pack it up and fine a vehicle to transport it to the store as it would not fit in any of my vehicles. Good luck,Samsung,Vizio and LG have units in you price range
post #3 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If you can spend a bit more, the ST60 is the budget king, if not, the S60 is also acceptable. If choosing from an LCD, any of the budget Samsung/Sony TVs will do.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

If you can spend a bit more, the ST60 is the budget king, if not, the S60 is also acceptable. If choosing from an LCD, any of the budget Samsung/Sony TVs will do.

Thank you for the suggestions. After I moved the 50" upstairs into our bedroom, I got wife'd and told that it was too big for the room. So now it looks like I will be ordering a 39" TV and Amazon has the LG 39L5300 for the $385. So I am going to order that.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM

I'd like to revive this thread.
This is exactly what I am looking for.

My situation.
I have a bit of a distance eye issue that causes me to use a 107" projector screen for my everyday living room TV. I can read the channel guide from directv and see game scores on it from about 18 ft back.

In our bedroom we have a 32" TV. It sits literally 3 ft off the end of our king bed and I cannot see game scores and struggle to read the channel guide.

My wife is super cool and we have discussed doing a larger TV for the bedroom as our christmas present to each other so that I can enjoy TV in there more. As I said, she is super cool and totally embraces the 107" screen on our living room wall.

Also, we are likely to move houses in the next 2 years so I'm expecting a larger bedroom where the TV might be as much as 10ft from the ft of the bed possibly.

We both feel like 3D is a gimmick or a fad. Unless someone can tell my why I need it, I feel like a smart TV is kind of pointless. I have a PS3 and a Wii if we need to connect up for netflix or something, but we don't use netflix now. We have DirectV and we use Redbox for Blue rays.

We are both 33, so no doubt technology will change on us.

I'm thinking something north of 50" maybe up to 60" and would like to stay under $1000. I'd go 12xx. if theres good reason. Heck, $800 would be awesome.

I want a good quality TV, with a good clear picture. Whatever this feature is on some TVs that makes the image look like a Soap Opera (SOE?) I'd rather NOT have that as its quite annoying.

The best I see right now is the Vizio E601i-A3 for $1000. Maybe the Panny ST60 or ST50. They have a 50" for $1050 and a 55" for 1300.

I feel like 50" now, might be fine and a 60" would look even more ridiculous there, but in a couple years when the TV is 8 ft further away, I might wish it were a 60".
post #6 of 10 Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop View Post

My situation.
I have a bit of a distance eye issue that causes me to use a 107" projector screen for my everyday living room TV. I can read the channel guide from directv and see game scores on it from about 18 ft back.

In our bedroom we have a 32" TV. It sits literally 3 ft off the end of our king bed and I cannot see game scores and struggle to read the channel guide.

My wife is super cool and we have discussed doing a larger TV for the bedroom as our christmas present to each other so that I can enjoy TV in there more. As I said, she is super cool and totally embraces the 107" screen on our living room wall.

Also, we are likely to move houses in the next 2 years so I'm expecting a larger bedroom where the TV might be as much as 10ft from the ft of the bed possibly.

We both feel like 3D is a gimmick or a fad. Unless someone can tell my why I need it, I feel like a smart TV is kind of pointless. I have a PS3 and a Wii if we need to connect up for netflix or something, but we don't use netflix now. We have DirectV and we use Redbox for Blue rays.

I'm thinking something north of 50" maybe up to 60" and would like to stay under $1000. I'd go 12xx. if theres good reason. Heck, $800 would be awesome.

I want a good quality TV, with a good clear picture. Whatever this feature is on some TVs that makes the image look like a Soap Opera (SOE?) I'd rather NOT have that as its quite annoying.

The best I see right now is the Vizio E601i-A3 for $1000. Maybe the Panny ST60 or ST50. They have a 50" for $1050 and a 55" for 1300.

I feel like 50" now, might be fine and a 60" would look even more ridiculous there, but in a couple years when the TV is 8 ft further away, I might wish it were a 60".

I have this in my bedroom [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP5N49S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1? A smart TV and 3d is rather useless to me also but a decent TV without it is becoming hard to find. I have DirecTV, WDTV and a Bluray player in my bedroom
post #7 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked: 14
a few weeks ago, I ran into a great deal on a Toshiba 50L4300U cloud tv. It is a smart tv. I think the price was a mistake but was able to get this tv for $599.99. It's mostly $749.99 that I can see. They also have it without smart internet features as the 50l1350 which I've mainly seen at the price that I paid for the 4300. Good picture and sound. It's not a super thin led, which helps with sound. And it's a 120hz set.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I saw the Walmart black Friday ad will have this tv (Vizio E601i-A3) for $688. Guaranteed if you go the first hour. I'm on the fence too. I'm looking for sub $1000, 50-60 inch. Not sure if I should wait till black friday or not.

post #9 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 10:30 AM

I pulled the trigger on my first flat-screen tv the week prior to black friday - picked up the Samsung UN50F5500 @ Sears.com with Shop Discover giving me 10% cashback. So far I've been very pleased with my purchase. I realize it wasn't necessarily the best price I could have gotten (haven't even checked for more recent sales) - but for me, the upgrade is mindblowing, compared to my Sony 27" Vega CRT.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:

My situation.

I would suggest the ST60 then.  Plasmas are great for bedrooms: usually they're watched at night with the lights off, so they're always bright enough, and if it's high on the wall (to see better from a head propped on a pillow lying down) it can be flat to the wall without tipping down because the vertical viewing angle on plasmas is forgiving (it's an emissive device).  And the ST60 seems to have better reviews than the S60.

BTW, don't scoff at 3D until you've lived with one for a while.  3D theater movies are not going away, and many folks will always want to see things like Gravity in 3D at home, myself included.  There have been a few naysayers reporting in the Sony R550A thread how they were skeptical of it until they got one and now love it.  At least for passive 3D.  The ST60 is an active 3D.

gus738 likes this.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Jvc 55 Inch Led 3d Sp55m C , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page