"Best" 55-60 inch flat panel SmartTV with digital audio out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I joined AVS to post this question...

I've decided it's time to be able to watch internet content such as Netflix on my home theater in my living room rather than on my MacBook Pro.  My current components:

Denon AVR-4800 receiver outputting to five speakers and, via component video and S-Video, to a

Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY 50-inch plasma display

Sources:

Pioneer DVL-919 DVD LD Player (Yes, I have LaserDiscs!)

DISH Network Satellite TV Tuner/DVR

VCR

audio cassette deck

The Denon has no HDMI input, so what I *think* I need is a SmartTV display which has digital-optical audio output that I can run into the Denon. Unless I'm on the wrong track, what do you suggest in a high end 50-60 inch display with that feature?

Secondary considerations:

My living room is somewhat bright during the day and occasionally that's a desired viewing time;

I have both ethernet and WiFi at the home theater, but I'd prefer to use ethernet as the WiFi base station is in another room.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
The best picture quality would be from a plasma set like the one you have now. In a 60" size, the ZT60 is Panasonic's best plasma -- and their best for bright rooms. If you're unaware, 2013 will be Panasonic's last year making plasma, so I'd make a move on one soon. Their less expensive VT60 and ST60 are also great performers. The VT60 is nearly identical in terms of picture quality. If you still want a plasma but would like something brighter, the Samsung F8500 is also a great choice.

You can watch Netflix through the TV's built-in app, and output 5.1 sound to your Denon AVR over the TV's optical out. Be aware that if you plan on running your other sources to your receiver this way (Connect to TV, then run audio out to the receiver via the optical out on the television) you'll most likely only receive 2-channel audio from these external sources. Most televisions will only output 5.1 surround over their audio output jack from their internal apps or the digital tuner. it's best to run audio cables from these sources directly into your receiver if they're capable of outputting surround.

And I like Netflix as much as the next guy, but no matter which TV you choose, a Blu-Ray player is a necessary accessory -- add one to your list! Otherwise, you won't be taking full advantage of your new TV. I finally saw the new Oppo BDP-103D in action and it's definitely the one to buy -- incredible image quality! You can read up more about it on the Blu-Ray player subforum.

On the other hand, let's say you wanted to keep your current TV. Looking up the model number online, I see it has pretty limited connectivity, and no HDMI connectivity unless you purchased an optional input board. A second solution would to add a Blu-Ray player with composite or component video out, a digital audio out, and Netflix streaming. The Sony BDP-S790 would fit the bill, but since you wouldn't be using HDMI, but composite video, you wouldn't be able to stream Netflix in HD. You can get multi channel audio from the optical or digital coaxial out.

Hope this helped!
brec likes this.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You could also simply add a roku 2 xs to the mix, it outputs component and digital audio in addition to hdmi.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, fatuglyguy, very helpful!

I'm drawn to the F8500 that you mention because of its brightness along with overall picture quality.  According to a CNET review it has a "class-leading bright-room image".

W/r audio I'm planning to just put the display's (let's say F8500's for now) digital optical output into an unused Denon digital optical input; I don't see a need to route other sources through the TV.

One issue I didn't note in my original post is that I think I'm going to have to give up my LaserDiscs. My DVD/LD player outputs only S-Video for LDs. I guess I could take your advice w/r Blu-Ray and replace selected LDs with Blu-Ray discs.

This page mentions HDMI terminal board availability for the TH-50PHD7UY, but the associated Supplies & Accessories tab doesn't list one.  The TY-FB7HM terminal board was apparently available at some time in the past, but seems not to be now. So lack of HDMI input is the primary reason for replacing the TV rather than going with a separate box for internet-source content.

Hmm, the Oppo you recommend has only HDMI video output, so that won't route through the Denon, but I guess its audio could.

post #5 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

You could also simply add a roku 2 xs to the mix, it outputs component and digital audio in addition to hdmi.

Hmm, I'm not seeing those outputs mentioned by Amazon nor by Roku for the Roku 3 which replaced the 2 xs.

post #6 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by brec View Post

Hmm, I'm not seeing those outputs mentioned by Amazon nor by Roku for the Roku 3 which replaced the 2 xs.

correct the Roku 2 XS has 720p /1080p HDMI + old style 480i analog composite SD video and L/R stereo only no component video .
brec likes this.

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #7 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, the Oppo you recommend has only HDMI video output, so that won't route through the Denon, but I guess its audio could.

Yes, if you purchased an F8500 you could run the Oppo's HDMI output directly into the TV. You can connect it to your non-HDMI Denon receiver via optical or digital coaxial. This would provide you with DVD-quality sound (e. g. DTS and Dolby Digital tracks). If you wanted to take advantage of the lossless, high-resolution audio tracks on a Blu-Ray disc (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA) while circumventing HDMI, you could use 5.1 analog RCA (a separate RCA cable for each channel) out from the Oppo if your Denon has an analog multi-channel input. You don't necessarily have to spend as much on a Blu-Ray player as the Oppo 103D costs, but I've read people rave about the Darbee processing on here for months and after finally seeing it, I get it. I saw the 103D play content on the Samsung F9000 4K LED TV -- both with and without the Darbee processing turned on -- and there was a substantial difference in detail, while still looking natural.

edit: reviewing the operating instructions for your Denon AVR-4800, it would appear it does have a multichannel analog input, labeled, "6CH Extended In"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fusa.denon.com%2Fus%2Fdownloads%2Fpages%2Finstructionmanual.aspx%3FFileName%3DDocumentMaster%2FUS%2Favr4800_ownersmanual.pdf&ei=FMSFUt_AMYKcjAKo84D4Cg&usg=AFQjCNE6rigeh_EqSWJytiQS8n4YK4wL6g&bvm=bv.56643336,d.cGE
brec likes this.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
post #8 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
True, that's why I said Roku 2, the newer ones don't have that option. They can still be found though.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

True, that's why I said Roku 2, the newer ones don't have that option. They can still be found though.

The Roku 2 XS is still available for purchase on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B005CLPP84

Looking at the picture of the back, there is no digital audio output like you mention. The only way to output digital audio is over HDMI. The only other audio output is analog stereo over the mini-AV out.

post #10 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Yes, if you purchased an F8500 you could run the Oppo's HDMI output directly into the TV. You can connect it to your non-HDMI Denon receiver via optical or digital coaxial. This would provide you with DVD-quality sound (e. g. DTS and Dolby Digital tracks). If you wanted to take advantage of the lossless, high-resolution audio tracks on a Blu-Ray disc (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA) while circumventing HDMI, you could use 5.1 analog RCA (a separate RCA cable for each channel) out from the Oppo if your Denon has an analog multi-channel input. You don't necessarily have to spend as much on a Blu-Ray player as the Oppo 103D costs, but I've read people rave about the Darbee processing on here for months and after finally seeing it, I get it. I saw the 103D play content on the Samsung F9000 4K LED TV -- both with and without the Darbee processing turned on -- and there was a substantial difference in detail, while still looking natural.

edit: reviewing the operating instructions for your Denon AVR-4800, it would appear it does have a multichannel analog input, labeled, "6CH Extended In"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fusa.denon.com%2Fus%2Fdownloads%2Fpages%2Finstructionmanual.aspx%3FFileName%3DDocumentMaster%2FUS%2Favr4800_ownersmanual.pdf&ei=FMSFUt_AMYKcjAKo84D4Cg&usg=AFQjCNE6rigeh_EqSWJytiQS8n4YK4wL6g&bvm=bv.56643336,d.cGE

Yikes, I had never paid the slightest attention to the Denon's 6CH inputs. Interesting possibility. However, my ears are even older than my LaserDiscs and lossless audio might be wasted on me. I have 20/15 vision, though, so Blu-Ray is still of interest.

I think I might be able to continue using the DVD/LD player, i.e., play LaserDiscs, with the F8500 if I change the LD video from S-Video to composite.  (I incorrectly previously said that the player outputs only S-Video for LDs.)  *Adding* a Blu-Ray player to the component set instead of *replacing* the DVD/LD player may be a challenging physical proposition. But I guess I can get rid of the audio cassette player...

post #11 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
If you've got a MacBook Pro, then I'd just grab the Cupertino Hockey Puck (AppleTV) and use that for Netflix, etc. The added advantage is that you seamlessly integrate that with your MBP for music, pictures, etc. And, it's only $100. As far as the blu-ray player goes, Oppo's are excellent, albeit a bit pricey. Panasonic makes some very nice blu-ray players that are comparable to some Oppo's in video presentation, have built-in WiFi, and are only about $150 or less.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

If you've got a MacBook Pro, then I'd just grab the Cupertino Hockey Puck (AppleTV) and use that for Netflix, etc. The added advantage is that you seamlessly integrate that with your MBP for music, pictures, etc. And, it's only $100. As far as the blu-ray player goes, Oppo's are excellent, albeit a bit pricey. Panasonic makes some very nice blu-ray players that are comparable to some Oppo's in video presentation, have built-in WiFi, and are only about $150 or less.

I can't use AppleTV's HDMI output with my current monitor, so as long as I'm getting a new monitor it might as well be a Smart TV with Netflix, etc. plus a browser to pull movies from Amazon, etc.

Meanwhile, I don't listen to music much in my living room nor do I have many photos.

Blu-Ray players: is there really anything visually comparable to the Oppo BDP-130D?

Whatever Blu-Ray I get is likely to have some redundancy with the Smart TV w/r accessing internet-source content, but I guess that's OK.

post #13 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
That's unfortunate. I have redundancy between my ATV2 and my Panasonic BDT-210 player but that's ok. Between the two, I have pretty much everything I would want in the way of streaming services. My tv isn't Smart . I preferred to have it that way because some times the SmartApps are troublesome, not as robust as the apps on STBs or blu-ray players, and if they ever fail and require a service call, you're without a tv during the repair period. They seem to require more updates than the "standalones" and there's a point where they can't be updated to take advantage of a new feature or hardware requirement. It's much cheaper to replace a $100 STB or a $150 blu-ray player than a Smart TV.

When the Panasonic BDT-210 was first introduced it was independently tested and was very comparable to the Oppp 94. In fact it tested out with a perfect color space at about 1/4 of the cost of the Oppo.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blu-Ray players: is there really anything visually comparable to the Oppo BDP-130D?

No. The video output from pretty much every Blu-Ray player is nearly identical when watching Blu-Ray content. It's because of this that the Oppo players have always been a bit of a hard sell for me. But for an extra $100 over the standard BDP-103 the 103D is a no-brainer, since the processing actually makes a discernible image quality difference over a standard player. Of course, all Blu-Ray players look great, but the 103D takes it beyond great. My friend bought one recently to pair with his ZT60 and said he can't watch a Blu-Ray disc without the Darbee anymore (he upgraded from a BDP-93).
brec likes this.

post #15 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No. The video output from pretty much every Blu-Ray player is nearly identical when watching Blu-Ray content. It's because of this that the Oppo players have always been a bit of a hard sell for me. But for an extra $100 over the standard BDP-103 the 103D is a no-brainer, since the processing actually makes a discernible image quality difference over a standard player. Of course, all Blu-Ray players look great, but the 103D takes it beyond great. My friend bought one recently to pair with his ZT60 and said he can't watch a Blu-Ray disc without the Darbee anymore (he upgraded from a BDP-93).

OK, I'm sold on Darbee. But I see that there's a DarbeeVision Darblet - DVP 5000 which is intended to be placed between an HDMI source and a display's HDMI input; $319 at Amazon. Would that and a, say, $150 BDP be approximately "just as good" as a BDP-103D?

I have committed to the F8500 -- it arrives Thursday.  To accommodate its width -- its base is as wide as the display -- I'm replacing my display stand / components shelves furniture piece.

On a related note, I'm now leaning towards replacing the Denon AVR-4800 with a more modern AV receiver, i.e., one with HDMI in/out.

(So I'm wandering off my own thread and I'll probably be scattering posts in various other topics about receivers, HDMI, remotes, etc. etc.)

post #16 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I'm sold on Darbee. But I see that there's a DarbeeVision Darblet - DVP 5000 which is intended to be placed between an HDMI source and a display's HDMI input; $319 at Amazon. Would that and a, say, $150 BDP be approximately "just as good" as a BDP-103D?

I have committed to the F8500 -- it arrives Thursday.  To accommodate its width -- its base is as wide as the display -- I'm replacing my display stand / components shelves furniture piece.

On a related note, I'm now leaning towards replacing the Denon AVR-4800 with a more modern AV receiver, i.e., one with HDMI in/out.

(So I'm wandering off my own thread and I'll probably be scattering posts in various other topics about receivers, HDMI, remotes, etc. etc.)

As far as the Darblet + a "cheap" BD player -- yes, I would assume that would work just as well as buying a 103D. But, at that point, you're already a bit towards the $430-$450 mark, which is a good bit of savings over a 103D, but i think having both components housed in a single, well-built, attractive looking chassis is worth a bit extra. This is where it gets subjective, of course. The standalone Darblet is a little funky looking and most Blu-Ray players in the $100-$150 range look like cheap plastic toys. Depends on if that's something that's important to you or not. Keep in mind the 103D still has HDMI inputs so you don't lose functionality over the standalone Darblet -- you can still run the output from an HDMI receiver into the 103D like you would into the Darblet and use the processing for other components.

As far as new receivers go, I've had my eye on the Denon AVR-X4000 -- you may want to look into it as at least a starting point.
brec likes this.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As far as the Darblet + a "cheap" BD player -- yes, I would assume that would work just as well as buying a 103D. But, at that point, you're already a bit towards the $430-$450 mark, which is a good bit of savings over a 103D, but i think having both components housed in a single, well-built, attractive looking chassis is worth a bit extra. This is where it gets subjective, of course. The standalone Darblet is a little funky looking and most Blu-Ray players in the $100-$150 range look like cheap plastic toys. Depends on if that's something that's important to you or not. Keep in mind the 103D still has HDMI inputs so you don't lose functionality over the standalone Darblet -- you can still run the output from an HDMI receiver into the 103D like you would into the Darblet and use the processing for other components.

As far as new receivers go, I've had my eye on the Denon AVR-X4000 -- you may want to look into it as at least a starting point.

Yep, the 103D is making sense. I early posted an inquiry about 103+Darblet vs. 103D here and it looks like 103D is where I'll end up.

I did use the X4000 as a starting point but ended with the Yamaha RX-A2020 because it has S-Video input, which is best for my laserdisc player.  I was almost ready to abandon my dozens of LDs but with S-Video on a modern AVR I can eat my cake and have it, too.

I appreciate your help!

post #18 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome! Glad you found something that will meet all your needs. Sounds like you're going to be having a lot of fun making all these big upgrades to your system! cool.gif

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Panasonic Th 50phd7uy Professional Series 50 Inch Hd Ready Flat Panel Plasma Display , Roku 2 Hd Streaming Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page