Anyone know where to find 4k test files (not youtube). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-17-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question is pretty much the subject line. I have a limited number of 4k test files (you can see the ones I have here):

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/

I was wondering if anyone knew of some other good long-ish ones? Youtube isn't really an option IMHO as the bitrate is horrible and youtube 4k stuff looks like crap (IMHO).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-18-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious View Post

Question is pretty much the subject line. I have a limited number of 4k test files (you can see the ones I have here):

I was wondering if anyone knew of some other good long-ish ones? Youtube isn't really an option IMHO as the bitrate is horrible and youtube 4k stuff looks like crap (IMHO).

Unless you have some kind of weird dedicated streaming app, don't ever do any PQ evaluations using streaming.

But regarding that 4K of yours: Is it 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or 4:2:0 ?

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #3 of 31 Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Unless you have some kind of weird dedicated streaming app, don't ever do any PQ evaluations using streaming.

No clue on the files as these are just ones I found places (I did not create any of them). As for the display I am pretty sure its 4:4:4.

Honestly youtube chose such a poor bit-rate for their 4k stuff that it doesn't even seem worth my time looking at the content on there although I have seen several people suggest that as a place to get 4k content... Youtube is pretty horrible for 4k IMHO though.
post #4 of 31 Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

No clue on the files as these are just ones I found places (I did not create any of them). As for the display I am pretty sure its 4:4:4.

Honestly youtube chose such a poor bit-rate for their 4k stuff that it doesn't even seem worth my time looking at the content on there although I have seen several people suggest that as a place to get 4k content... Youtube is pretty horrible for 4k IMHO though.

I second this. The You Tube 4K clips don't look 4K at all. Not even close to the material on my Sony 4K media player.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

No, I was referring to the files.  Not much content is delivered to your TV as 4:4:4 from other than a PC, etc.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #6 of 31 Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, I was referring to the files.  Not much content is delivered to your TV as 4:4:4 from other than a PC, etc.

Thats the only way I have ever driven a any TV in the last 10 years or any of my 4k monitors I've had since 2006.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thats the only way I have ever driven a any TV in the last 10 years or any of my 4k monitors I've had since 2006.

OK, but that doesn't help you when the content is coming from a Blu-Ray movie.  That's already cut down to 4:2:0 no matter how you then send it to the TV.  Is the UHD BD idea still at 4:2:0?

post #8 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Netflix is offering a short 7 minute clip as a 2160p test file called "El Fuente", if you want to check out 4k streaming in its infancy.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426728,00.asp

post #9 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Hmm, I notice that some of the vids on this link you posted are available on Youtube.
I have downloaded the Honey Bees vid from youtube in 1080p resolution and .mp4 format and it looked great when I watched it through the USB port of my LCD HDTV.
The filesize is 73 MB and I noticed the 4K filesize to download is 583 MB.
I have acquired the habit of downloading 1080p .mp4 videos from youtube to watch them on my TV USB port to test my TV display and generally they look great.
Some of the best vids are actually those downconverted from 4K resolution, like the ones on the "Stock Footage" channel.
But now that you say that the bitrate on youtube is low, I'm wondering if I could get better quality vids elsewhere...
I usually try to look for things like color banding, jaggies, etc, to assess what are my TV real capabilities but I'm affraid that these issues might be actually present on the video files themselves as compression artifacts... Ideally the vids shouldn't have any such thing, or at least minimise them, so I could really identify my screen limitations...

Do you actually download the videos from youtube to your PC to watch offline or you just watch them streaming from youtube?
I thought that streaming from youtube is not going to look as good as playing the files on your PC or TV... but maybe I'm wrong?

Stock Footage produces professional quality 4K videos but those have to be bought from their website, on youtube it's possible to download the 4K versions of some of their vids though... I just don't know for sure if the quality is the same as if bought from their website...

I use a software called "Internet Download Manager" to download youtube vids, it gives you the option to download in a resolution of your preference, not higher than the uploaded resolution of course.

Since we're discussing online high quality video sources, does anyone know of a good source for HD 1080p material?
Is youtube a good source to download from?
post #10 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Do you actually download the videos from youtube to your PC to watch offline or you just watch them streaming from youtube?
I thought that streaming from youtube is not going to look as good as playing the files on your PC or TV... but maybe I'm wrong?

I usually accessed the temp file through a file-descriptor and played youtube stuff in mplayer as the flash plugin is not always the best or a browser plugin to download the file off youtube. None of these files came from youtube. A lot are on there already but these are the higher bit-rate ones that are actually good quality. For example that 250 MB chimei one I think gets compressed down to about 80 MB or so on youtube even when you are downloading the 'original' resolution version so the bitrate is like 1/3rd of the original and it loses *a lot* of quality. Its really noticable on 4k....
Quote:

Since we're discussing online high quality video sources, does anyone know of a good source for HD 1080p material?
Is youtube a good source to download from?

Well blurays or stuff on usenet is a good source for tons of 1080p material. I will check out stock footage, sounds interesting.
post #11 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM

I just found some very good quality stuff in HD-trailers website and downloaded very high bitrate files from "Gravity" and "Perfect Rim" trailers.
Indeed better quality than on youtube.
I'm downloading Elysium trailer now and I notice it has a 4K version of about 420 MB size available to download, it's just a 2 minute video with 5.1 Audio encoding, you might want to check it out.
post #12 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 PM

Another Blender animation available in 4K, Sintel.
14 minutes long, 4.2 GB.
Download Here.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 02:04 PM

Here is what is claimed to be the first 4K movie, TimeScapes is a slow motion and time lapse work authored by Tom Lowe.
"TimeScapes is the world's first film to be made available for purchase in 4K resolution."
"TimeScapes is the debut film from award-winning cinematographer and director Tom Lowe."

timescapes.org

There are also a few 4K pictures in this website as well.
I'm downloading the 2 trailers in 1080p, from Vimeo, each one only 2 minutes long and yet ~500 MB filesize and I'm going to compare them to the ~60 MB downloads from youtube lol.
post #14 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 202
Quote:

OK, but that doesn't help you when the content is coming from a Blu-Ray movie. That's already cut down to 4:2:0 no matter how you then send it to the TV. Is the UHD BD idea still at 4:2:0?
Upscaling 4:2:0 content still benefits from a 4:4:4 display though. With certain images, you can clearly see the difference between Blu-ray on a display running at 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. (many LCDs switch between the two depending on whether they're in Film or Game/PC modes)
If you are using a HTPC with madVR for playback, there's no point in using any of the advanced chroma upscaling algorithms (Lanczos/Jinc) as they look the same as the basic ones (Bicubic) if your TV can only display 4:2:2.

Quote:

Here is what is claimed to be the first 4K movie, TimeScapes is a slow motion and time lapse work authored by Tom Lowe.
"TimeScapes is the world's first film to be made available for purchase in 4K resolution."
"TimeScapes is the debut film from award-winning cinematographer and director Tom Lowe."

timescapes.org
It really bothers me that companies think they can get away with charging more for higher quality releases - it's the same problem with music. Pay the same price as a CD (or more) for a lossy 256K AAC file off iTunes. Oh, you wanted a CD-quality download? Double the price of a physical CD. You wanted HD Audio? Triple the cost or more.

Does no-one care about the quality of the product that they are releasing any more? Surely the people making this content want people to experience it the best way possible. Other than the bandwidth costs, which are minimal, the prices should be the same.

$100 for a Blu-ray sized 4K download is ridiculous. The bandwidth costs to distribute 25GB are not that high now, and you could burn that onto a single-layer disc and mail it for less than $5.
And then they want to charge $200 for a BDXL-sized file, or $330 if you want it in 12-bit.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-20-2013, 09:33 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 86
My file player says they're all 8bit 4:2:0. Gorgeous picture even on 1080p plasma. I think I like the picture my TV puts out better than Sony's 4K TV.
post #16 of 31 Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
There are a couple more on the showcase page of the Divx website, where they claim their divx codec is actually hevc. http://www.divx.com/en/hevc-showcase
post #17 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
post #18 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 99

You can already film 2160p@30fps with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which uses Qualcomm Snapdragon 800.

What the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor and Adreno 420 GPU brings to the table is the ability to also playback your 4K captured content on your mobile device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87nDlOPSPog#t=0
--

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496095/4k-video-test-samsung-galaxy-note-3-4k-recording
post #19 of 31 Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

You can already film 2160p@30fps with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which uses Qualcomm Snapdragon 800.
What the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor and Adreno 420 GPU brings to the table is the ability to also playback your 4K captured content on your mobile device.

The processor also supports 4K HEVC playback and streaming but it is not clearly stated if the HEVC encoding is supported too and if it can playback the content over the HDMI 2.0.

irkuck
post #20 of 31 Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You could download the Original .MOV file (4096x2160 / 1GB) of "Sony F55 & Canon 1DC - 4K side by side " on Vimeo.

post #21 of 31 Old 11-25-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

timescapes.org

I'm downloading the 2 trailers in 1080p, from Vimeo, each one only 2 minutes long and yet ~500 MB filesize and I'm going to compare them to the ~60 MB downloads from youtube lol.

TimeScapes is god awful. I got sucked in to paying the exorbitant cost for it on USB key for 4K as I was desperate for content at the time to try 4K on my VW1000. Not only is it put you to sleep scenery to a soundtrack (can't wait for a 4K version of HD Fireplace lol), it's got terrible compression artifacts. All of the scenes which should have smooth color graduations, like clouds at sunset, show terrible banding in them.

post #22 of 31 Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Quote:

timescapes.org

TimeScapes is god awful. I got sucked in to paying the exorbitant cost for it on USB key for 4K as I was desperate for content at the time to try 4K on my VW1000. Not only is it put you to sleep scenery to a soundtrack (can't wait for a 4K version of HD Fireplace lol), it's got terrible compression artifacts. All of the scenes which should have smooth color graduations, like clouds at sunset, show terrible banding in them.

I tend to loathe artsy-fartsy do-nothing films like that.  A long time ago I paid to see Chronos, which was this absurd IMAX style film of one mind-numbing time-lapse scene after another to the point where I wanted to stick a fork in my eye.

Look at the description these F-tards put up for it:

Quote:
The ground-breaking celebration of nature and art featuring time-lapse photography of locations around the world. A stunning visual odyssey that has brought a new aesthetic dimension to the large-format genre.

....which when I read it produced the following mental response (in red):

Quote:
The ground-breaking How?  According to whom?  There's NOTHING new here! celebration It's a FILM...it's not a celebration unless people are celebrating of nature and art Is nature and art something new? featuring time-lapse photography of locations around the world. whoopie flying @#$%.  A stunning time-lapse photography of the sun going over the desert and people entering and exiting Grand Central Station is *not* "stunning" visual odyssey nor is it a visual odyssey that has brought a new aesthetic dimension no it @#$%ing didn't to the large-format genre. Large format is NOT a genre, it's a vehicle for any number of other genres.
OzHDHT likes this.

post #23 of 31 Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM

^ haha, now you know that cinema marketing is just as dumb as anything else.
Well... it's marketing what else to say...

As strange as it seems I'm also finding it very hard to find good quality 1080p footage...
I was thinking there should be some professional quality footage available for free but, to my surprise, most quality stuff is only available upon purchase which I wouldn't have thought since this resolution is so wide spread already... I find a bit ridiculous.
I only found some few interesting things in HD trailers and a few more scattered stuff... very little.
I'm now forced to download ripped bluray movies which are filling up my HDD pretty fast.
At least I have a love for cinema, so all good.
post #24 of 31 Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Try downloading this small clip in 4K.

http://vimeo.com/78558336
post #25 of 31 Old 12-03-2013, 07:12 AM

It's a cool vid, nice that there is an original quality 4K file to download.
Unfortunatelly the HD version to download is heavilly compressed... no more than 5Mbps...

EDIT: Does anyone know how to downscale 4K into 1080p without compression, or at least, minimal quality loss?
post #26 of 31 Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Good sources of free or not to expensive high quality HD footage to download.

beachfrontbroll
xstockvideo
videezy
post #27 of 31 Old 12-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 10

You can find a slew of 4K resolution videos I shot with my Galaxy Note 3 on the Trip Ghetaway YouTube channel, I have over 10 now, just select Original HD.. Even if you don't have a 4K capable playback TV the definition is incredible regardless.. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_x1iDwrh7E8?list=UUhzqyyPIyDyu27jJEnZdOAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

post #28 of 31 Old 12-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Liked: 10

There is a slew of 4K resolution videos on my Trip Ghetaway YouTube channel shot with my Galaxy Note 3 edited in Final Cut pro X if you want to check them out, I have more than 10 to see. Just make sure to select Original HD 

post #29 of 31 Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM

We're looking for downloadable high quality footage.
Not Youtube viewing...
post #30 of 31 Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Yeah. You Tube compresses their videos entirely too much. So much to the point that 4K videos definitely do not look 4K at all...
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page