"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post
Do you know if the X850B is similar?
Sorry, I have looked at various UHD TVs but i didn't check their reflectivity on them since i don't plan on getting a UHD TV. And it would have been difficult to tell how reflective they are since they're always playing extremely bright and colorful 4K demos so it's hard to see the reflections on bright content (like sports for instance). The true test of a screens reflectivity is on dark content like a dark movie where the screen suddenly becomes a black mirror.

--

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 222 Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any 50"+ matte LCD's out there still being manufactured? I'm unclear if there are none at all, or just no high end ones. I would truly be happier with a cheap poor quality matte LCD than a $5k glossy OLED in my bright living room. I bought a cheapo matte 39" just a year ago from Best Buy, but I'm looking for a bigger size.
post #213 of 222 Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 523
It depends how matte you want the panel. If you want matte like you could get years ago, I don't think there are any. If you are okay with something that is more smooth with some haze on it instead of pure gloss there are some choices. There are also a few companies that make matte films you can put on a glossy TV.
post #214 of 222 Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It depends how matte you want the panel. If you want matte like you could get years ago, I don't think there are any. If you are okay with something that is more smooth with some haze on it instead of pure gloss there are some choices. There are also a few companies that make matte films you can put on a glossy TV.
What are some choices that are more smooth with some haze? I remain unimpressed with "low glare" panels like the reduced-layer recent Apple computer panels, if that's what you mean. Thanks for the help!
post #215 of 222 Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthinker View Post
What are some choices that are more smooth with some haze?
The best thing to do to determine which screens are more matte (or matte enough for you) is to go to some stores and personally identify the ones that don't reflect the store's overhead lights like the semi-matte or glossy models do. There are a number of LCD TVs that have a traditional matte screen like the LCDs from 5-10 years ago.

On page 1 or 2 of this thread i posted my experience with an aftermarket matte film from Glarestopper.com that made my small glossy LCD TV look like a traditional matte screen LCD. Maybe you can just buy a super cheap glossy LCD TV then apply the Glarestopper film to it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #216 of 222 Old 07-16-2014, 01:51 PM

Liked: 12
I have a 70 inch Sharp Aquos. It looks great!

Last edited by mmcclure; 07-16-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #217 of 222 Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Hi Randy, A simple question for a guy like you: What is your take on 4K right now between some Sony and Samsung flat panel models (forget it about curved)?

And, any 4K display with a matte screen? Ty & cheers, R ยง
Dunno about the matte screen thing (see my comments 6 posts above).

I haven't given the Samsung UHD TVs more than a quick glance (and that stupid curved crap is an instantaneous turn-off) so i don't know how it compares with the Sony.

When a UHD TV is displaying 4K demo content in the stores i find myself marveling at the quality and clarity of the content - but taking the TV's ability for granted since of course it's going to display 4K content spectacularly so i'm not really impressed with the UHD TVs nearly as much as i am with the detail in content itself.

I've been more interested in how regular 1080i (and 720p and 1080p) content looks on a UHD TV since that's the highest resolutions i have available to me in my home. I have only seen a few segments of Blu-Ray movies and the Best Buy HD loop on the Sony and LG UHD TVs but i do see some benefit to the screens higher resolution even at 10 feet away compared to the same HD content on the various 1080p LCD TVs next to them. The HD image is smoother and has less jaggies and less stairstepping, but otherwise they just look like really good LCD TVs. Since i have zero 4K content or sources available to me i don't see the value in paying the higher price of a UHD TV for only a slight improvement with HD content.

Randy
post #218 of 222 Old 08-19-2014, 04:32 PM

I think that sharp 650 are supposed to still be matte, tough i don't see them in retail.

I wanted to buy tv instead of projector i have so i can have light in the room while watching, but i found that you can't do that with tv these days. That was huge surprise for me!

Some mentioned anti reflective glass in this thread, some models were better in the stores i visited, tough every was very reflective when turned off.

So is there some proven TV model to buy if reflections bother me, or still nothing?

Last edited by evlo; 08-19-2014 at 04:37 PM.
post #219 of 222 Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post
Is that so much to ask for?

I am looking to upgrade my Panny LCD which is 5 years old, 32 inch 720P and matte non reflective screen.

Everything I have seen has glare!

Why isn't non-glare considered a feature?

Most of the time the tv isn't even on. So most of the time I would have a big black mirror in my living room. I don't want a big black mirror in my living room. My tv sits between my two stereo speakers, when I am just listening to music, I don't want to look at a reflection of myself just listening to music.

And when the tv is on, I don't want to see the wall behind me on the screen.

Solutions? So far here is what I have come up with-

Don't get a new tv
Don't get a big tv...just go a little bigger like 40 inch, it will be a mirror, just not a really big mirror
Don't put it in the living room...put the big mirror in another room where it won't be so obnoxious

Still, I would rather get a 1080P led lcd a little bigger with a little better picture with a non reflective screen.
I completely agree!

One of the features that I must have for any TV purchase I make is a matte screen (on both TV and computer screens). I refuse to buy glossy screens.
post #220 of 222 Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikves View Post
I completely agree!

One of the features that I must have for any TV purchase I make is a matte screen (on both TV and computer screens). I refuse to buy glossy screens.
I gave in and bought a glossy screen (Sony 79X900B). The 70X850B is matte (or semi-matte), but I went for the additional 9".

I'm hoping that 5 years from now there with be an 85" matte high-end TV for 5k or less.
post #221 of 222 Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM

So i found Sharp 650 in shop (and some other sharp TVs). Generally in Czech rep. these are considered most matte available TVs and are probably tiny bit more matte then some other low end TVs, but still it is like 60 inch black mirror, only with slightly blurred image.
post #222 of 222 Old 08-22-2014, 06:30 AM

So i did this comparison between lcd tv screen considered as mate these days and relatively new laptop with mate lcd screen.

Ok, so the black levels on the tv are quite blueish and whitish.

So ok, the reality is that there is no matte screen on the market, nothing to do about it, no reason to get angry or frustrated, this is how things are.
But i finally got it.
I'm being to selfish, definitely there is some object that gets tv screen as black, even in this scenario - with direct light against screen, from its distance and viewing angles. So i guess this is what manufactures mean by social functions!
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page