post #31 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Curved screens have theoretical benefits if you can sit in the sweet spot center of their radius. On a flat screen, a constant size 2D object will always appear slightly smaller or larger as it moves into parts of the screen that are at different distances from the viewer - simple perspective at work. If all parts of the screen are at equal distances to the viewer, objects remain at fixed size. So to say that flat screens don't cause distortion is incorrect. They cause a different type of perspective distortion which our brains are already used to.

.................not the way I'd put it.    Remember always that the camera sensor is flat.  You simply cannot translate a flatly gathered image onto a curved screen without undo distortion.  [Edit: removed theater reference....far too big a diversion that I'm not up for]

Besides, none of this addresses the folks to the left and right of the screen.  We will look back on this (hopefully soon) as a technologically schizophrenic moment in TV history.  Christ, I hope so anyway.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

.................not the way I'd put it.    Remember always that the camera sensor is flat.  You simply cannot translate a flatly gathered image onto a curved screen without undo distortion.  This is true even in a movie theater, where there actually is a good reason for curved (focus).

Besides, none of this addresses the folks to the left and right of the screen.  We will look back on this (hopefully soon) as a technologically schizophrenic moment in TV history.  Christ, I hope so anyway.
A sensor is flat, but a lens will always introduce a optical distorted image, except maybe for the 50mm lens that is always called the Normal lens optic for 35mm film.
To argue that a slightly curved screen is introducing distortion to a image because the sensor is flat becomes a somewhat ridiculous and contrary argument.

Curved 21:9 screens would be great as a monitor for PC gaming, particularly driving games. If the monitor manufacturers and the game manufacturers cooperated a little bit they could sell a lot of curved 21:9 screens to gamers.

This is how much optical distortion of a face is created by various lenses.

post #33 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The theater thing was a bit more complicated and I'm really speaking to displays.

And I really don't want to get too much into this but imagine a diagram of a horizontally curved sensor that looks like an inverted U or semi-circle with the light coming from the top down onto it.

The light striking the left and right sides of the sensor will be spread over a larger surface of the sensor yielding a stretched image horizontally in those regions.  Drawn by a U shaped display, the stretched parts will be "un-stretched" (compressed) optically properly to a viewer to form no distortion.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #34 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
People should only buy these Oled tvs when there is tv stations producing this 4k content ,that will never happen so i will never spend my money on that stuff
post #35 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
What about the 4K LCDs? There won't be much choice to buy anything but a 4K panel.
post #36 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The theater thing was a bit more complicated and I'm really speaking to displays.
Nobody mentioned anything about theater.
There is the same relation between flat sensors and optical distortion from lenses regardless of what kind of display being used.

Think you should wait until you actually get to see a curved TV before you get too far into engaging in discussions of how much they distort the picture.
The curve is so small that I doubt you will notice after you have watched it for some seconds.

The usefulness of curved TVs can be doubtful, but the use as PC monitor where one sit close might be useful for some types of work.

For very wide display areas, like multi displays put side-by-side, they always place them in a curve. And I don't talk about expo shows but real work.
post #37 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Quote:

Nobody mentioned anything about theater.

I was, and I was retracting it to keep from being derailed.

And I absolutely have seen curved theater screens and have always been bothered by it.  When Avatar came out, I traveled over an hour north of my position just to see it on a huge screen that I knew was minimally curved.

post #38 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM

Traveling over an hour to see Avatar?! *faints* Oops, now I'm derailing. redface.gif
post #39 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Traveling over an hour to see Avatar?! *faints* Oops, now I'm derailing. 

LOL!  Well, all the really big screen theaters around me are these overly curved Imax monstrosities.  Ironically, I went to the exact same theater for Gravity, but screwed up: turns out it was a completely wasted effort because while the website made me think that it was on their big screen, it turns out that it was only offered on one of their podunk things.  Heck.  I could've driven 20 minutes instead.  :-/

post #40 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM

"Bless your heart." tongue.gif

I didn't mention it, but I finally saw my first 3D movie in a theater last month. Fortunately, it was on a podunk screen with a black level that made me long for the in-home experience. I may have to go for an Imax monstrosity when the opportunity arises again (or something in the middle).
post #41 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

"Bless your heart." tongue.gif

I didn't mention it, but I finally saw my first 3D movie in a theater last month. Fortunately, it was on a podunk screen with a black level that made me long for the in-home experience. I may have to go for an Imax monstrosity when the opportunity arises again (or something in the middle).

"Fortunately" ?  That so you don't have to run out and buy a passive 3D TV?

post #42 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM

Oops...it must be opposites day. Unfortunately!
post #43 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

.................not the way I'd put it.    Remember always that the camera sensor is flat.  You simply cannot translate a flatly gathered image onto a curved screen without undo distortion.  [Edit: removed theater reference....far too big a diversion that I'm not up for]

I guess you missed the part where I said "2D" image. Think of a menu, logo, credits, program guide, etc. Like I said, curved screens have theoretical benefits for certain applications. As coolscan points out, they would also work well for games and simulators where the user is always in the sweet spot. A curved display would cover more of your field of view and thus increase immersion.

As I stated in my post, I would also prefer flat for watching regular TV content, especially at the distances and sizes being offered. But I'm not going to dismiss curved screens entirely.
post #44 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Yeah, I'd like a 32:9 curved computer monitor with 8K x 2K resolution myself.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #45 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Yeah, I'd like a 32:9 curved computer monitor with 8K x 2K resolution myself.

and OLED biggrin.gif. It is amazing companies put extreme efforts to show 55" UHD curved OLEDs which have zero advantage for TV scenario and they do not make any effort to show curved & stretched monitors for high-end desktops and gaming stations where this makes much sense.
rogo likes this.

irkuck
post #46 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

A sensor is flat, but a lens will always introduce a optical distorted image, except maybe for the 50mm lens that is always called the Normal lens optic for 35mm film.
To argue that a slightly curved screen is introducing distortion to a image because the sensor is flat becomes a somewhat ridiculous and contrary argument.

Curved 21:9 screens would be great as a monitor for PC gaming, particularly driving games. If the monitor manufacturers and the game manufacturers cooperated a little bit they could sell a lot of curved 21:9 screens to gamers.

This is how much optical distortion of a face is created by various lenses.

I think the girls in the top center is way hotter than the others.

If curved is the way to go, then why not curve the top and bottom also? Doesn't that have the same issue to a lesser degree?
post #47 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I think the girls in the top center is way hotter than the others.

If curved is the way to go, then why not curve the top and bottom also? Doesn't that have the same issue to a lesser degree?

Great idea. You could lay it on it's back and use it as a punch bowl!!
post #48 of 52 Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For the record, I would love a curved computer monitor. With a radius that puts my head exactly in the center.

But a curved TV? Nah.
post #49 of 52 Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is called a Torus Screen and by many people recognized as the ultimate screen (at least for projection), but are much harder to make.

From a 2006 AVS thread; http://www.avsforum.com/t/701099/screens-lenses-gain-and-curves-a-look-at-torus-screens
post #50 of 52 Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
The next nightmare: Torus LCDs! I'm sure if someone is selling them that there will be many here saying that they knew all along that they were the best!
post #51 of 52 Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 188
In theory, wouldn't the ideal screen be a depressed oval? Assuming there was a corresponding source for it.
post #52 of 52 Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In theory, wouldn't the ideal screen be a depressed oval? Assuming there was a corresponding source for it.

Criminey.  Then we'd be discussing resolution not in terms of {X} x {Y} but by {X} radius, and {Y} radius.  That happens, then I'm giving up on computer graphics and imaging and starting an alpaca farm....

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page