LG UHD OLED TVs at CES 2014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 856

Among the very few UHD OLED TVs at CES this year were two curved models from LG—a new 55" and a 77-incher. In fact, LG showed two 77" UHD OLED TVs—one that has a fixed curve and was announced to be available this year, and a prototype that is bendable, moving from flat to curved at the touch of a remote button.

LG's curved UHD OLEDs looked marvelous—except I still don't like curved screens, even at 77".

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Gee, I wonder what happens if the bending gizmo fails? I wouldn't take one of these for any price.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
At least the 77-inch can be flattened...downside is the added fragility and failure points this entails.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

At least the 77-inch can be flattened...downside is the added fragility and failure points this entails.

No, sorry.

The 77-inch they promised will be curved.

The 77-inch that flattens was a demo unit and has no production plan behind it.

To be crystal clear: LG showed 2 different 77-inch models...

1) A curved 77 incher with no price they promised for 2014.
2) A curved 77 incher with no price that can flattened with the remote control that they have no stated plans to produce.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Sorry myself. Nigh impossible to keep track of the prototypes versus the models purported to be released to the public, especially of the same size/display technology. Some outlets (i.e. Engadget) reported the latter with a SRP of $30k...seems highly plausible.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I blame LG, not you or anyone else, for the confusion.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I know these TVs won't be at best buy for a while (if ever), but at least we know they can be made. So, there's a chance.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

No, sorry.

The 77-inch they promised will be curved.

The 77-inch that flattens was a demo unit and has no production plan behind it.

To be crystal clear: LG showed 2 different 77-inch models...

1) A curved 77 incher with no price they promised for 2014.
2) A curved 77 incher with no price that can flattened with the remote control that they have no stated plans to produce.

You are correct, sir! I updated the original post accordingly. Thanks!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #9 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

You are correct, sir! I updated the original post accordingly. Thanks!

No problem, Scott. It was nice to meet you and Mark H. at CES, albeit briefly in the hall there.

post #10 of 21 Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31

Actually I just saw a video of an interview with Tim Alessi at CES where they speak about the delivery dates on all five OLED TVs being no later than end of this summer for all models and some coming in Q2.  Mr. Alessi was asked if the $30k price was real.  I attended LG's press conference and Mr. Alessi was the presenter.  I also goggled him and Mr. Alessi is LG's Director of New Product Development.

Not sure if this is true, but I was told that once a model # is announced you can quickly tell if a product is real or just vaporware.   Only products that are scheduled for production are issued model #s.

The interview is on VE's Facebook page where they also have a great one-on-one interview with Samsung at CES.

slacker711 likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Insider View Post

Not sure if this is true, but I was told that once a model # is announced you can quickly tell if a product is real or just vaporware.   Only products that are scheduled for production are issued model #s.

That's just not an accurate bit of information.

post #12 of 21 Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Among the very few UHD OLED TVs at CES this year were two curved models from LG—a new 55" and a 77-incher. In fact, LG showed two 77" UHD OLED TVs—one that has a fixed curve and was announced to be available this year, and a prototype that is bendable, moving from flat to curved at the touch of a remote button.

LG's curved UHD OLEDs looked marvelous—except I still don't like curved screens, even at 77".

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott or anyone else here - help me to understand. One of the reasons I prefer plasma over LCD is that I can get a really good looking 24 frames per as opposed to the LCD work around. How are OLEDs posed with this facet of blu ray presentation? I am keeping my Panasonic plasma until it needs to be replaced and hoping that future non-plasma screens will by that time not serve up that crappy soap opera looking "fix" for 24 frames per. Any takers?
post #13 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Actually I just saw a video of an interview with Tim Alessi at CES where they speak about the delivery dates on all five OLED TVs being no later than end of this summer for all models and some coming in Q2.  Mr. Alessi was asked if the $30k price was real.  I attended LG's press conference and Mr. Alessi was the presenter.  I also goggled him and Mr. Alessi is LG's Director of New Product Development.

The interview is on VE's Facebook page where they also have a great one-on-one interview with Samsung at CES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

That's just not an accurate bit of information.

Rogo, thanks for the reply, but I don't understand why you think it's not true that TV manufacturers assign a model # once it's approved for production.  I do understand that not all products with model #s come to market, but it sure looks like most do.  And the ones that do not have model #s, like Sony's partnership with Panasonic on the 4K ink jet printed OLED never had model #s and did not go to market.  Their are many many other examples of prototypes exhibited without model #s that did not make it to production and the opposite seems to be true once a model # is made available, which also coincides with the company putting out a press release. 

Also you did not reply to my more important observations, which was a reply to your post about LG saying on camera that all five OLED TVs will be available for sale by the summer of this year and two OLED models will launch this spring.  It also seems likely that the 77" 4K OLED will retail at $30k.

I'm a big fan of yours and enjoy your insight.  So I'm not trying to put you on the spot, just want to add to the conversation and get all of the facts out for discussion.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 AM

*insight smile.gif Incite has a wholly different meaning.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks ^ cousin, I fixed it.  Although both words could be true,  jk ;)

post #16 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM

lol, I wouldn't say you're altogether wrong about that. wink.gif

On-topic, I am still hesitant to believe all that LG claims at CES because they also claimed the flat 55" would be coming to market in the US last year at CES 2013, which did not happen (I realize it made its European debut, but this just points to LG's unreliability in product debuts, adhering to schedules, etc.).
post #17 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 AM

I don't remember ^ that.  Was it an official statement from management?

post #18 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM

It was reported around that time, though I don't know who specifically made the remark. It could have been a lowly rep speaking out of turn.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

It was reported around that time, though I don't know who specifically made the remark. It could have been a lowly rep speaking out of turn.

There's a lot of that I think.  "A rep at the show told me ...." is a common theme around here, and I'm not at all confident in their accuracy.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM

Listen to the LG's Tim Alessi's CES interview I referenced above.  Mr. Alessi is the director of new product development and he clearly says all five new 2014 OLED TVs will be shipping by this summer.   Don't think it could be more clear or come from a more reliable senior management person who is in-charge of new product development.  Sounds like we have a very valuable interview. 

I also like the Samsung interview, very informative.

post #21 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Rogo, thanks for the reply, but I don't understand why you think it's not true that TV manufacturers assign a model # once it's approved for production.  I do understand that not all products with model #s come to market, but it sure looks like most do. 

All I'm saying is what you put in the last sentence. While you, of course, need a model # to produce... A model # doesn't, in and of itself, prove something is headed for production.
Quote:
Also you did not reply to my more important observations, which was a reply to your post about LG saying on camera that all five OLED TVs will be available for sale by the summer of this year and two OLED models will launch this spring.  It also seems likely that the 77" 4K OLED will retail at $30k.

So listen, I would be delighted to see all 5 models in production by summer. LG has made a lot of promises since 2012 regarding OLEDs. Well, actually, since 2010... Most of those promises have been broken and not kept.

If they actually ship 5 different models within 6-7 months (i.e. by summer), that would be a very positive change (living up to commitments) and a hugely positive sign (because it suggests the technology is maturing internally into something they can turn into products much more readily.

I'm just skeptical.
Quote:
I'm a big fan of yours and enjoy your insight.  So I'm not trying to put you on the spot, just want to add to the conversation and get all of the facts out for discussion.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't feel on the spot. If anything, LG is on the spot. They're the ones who promise to do this and that and often don't...

Five models when they've delivered one is a big change.. Even last year, we were promised the flat screen and got the curved one, only, and later than expected.

To be honest, I see little value in shipping 5 overpriced TVs that have next to no market, but I'd still like to see it. It really shows some effort to jump far ahead of Samsung in pushing the tech into TVs in much the same way Samsung jumped far ahead of LG in pushing the tech into smartphones.

Anyway, let's just call it skepticism combined with hope. I'm not saying they won't deliver all the TVs; I'm saying talk is one thing, action is another. I'm much more excited when these are at Best Buy rather than promised for delivery at a press event. Because the gap between those events and Best Buy has been pretty significant.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page