Pixtronix at CES? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 121

Did anybody see the Pixtronix display at the Sharp booth at CES? I am curious about any first hand reports of the picture quality. Sharp says that they will be launching a tablet sized display within six months but there seems to be curious lack of hype for a new display technology that is supposed to provide such large advantages over LCD/OLED.

http://www.digitalversus.com/tablet/ces-2014-sharp-shows-off-7-mems-display-oled-watch-out-n32706.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
MEMS lives after all. But, in the imminent age of Oculus Rift and Avegant Glyph type of devices, I'm not sure this technology will matter, unless they can do 4K or 8K inside 6 inch display, which should be possible as each sub pixel can be a pixel in MEMS, so who knows.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Did anybody see the Pixtronix display at the Sharp booth at CES? I am curious about any first hand reports of the picture quality. Sharp says that they will be launching a tablet sized display within six months but there seems to be curious lack of hype for a new display technology that is supposed to provide such large advantages over LCD/OLED.

http://www.digitalversus.com/tablet/ces-2014-sharp-shows-off-7-mems-display-oled-watch-out-n32706.html

I saw the display. It didn't look particularly impressive. It didn't look bad either.

To be honest, despite the bullishness of the article, I got a very different impression from the Sharp people: That this was currently a one off an there was no serious commitment to it at all. It didn't feel like the "next big thing" in any way.

Now, of course that could change. But Sharp is currently struggling getting people to even care about IGZO, which is currently losing ground to LTPS (which was never supposed to be in the game). The idea they are going to generate momentum behind a more expensive display that they can't mass produce is more amusing than something to take seriously.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-26-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I saw the display. It didn't look particularly impressive. It didn't look bad either.

To be honest, despite the bullishness of the article, I got a very different impression from the Sharp people: That this was currently a one off an there was no serious commitment to it at all. It didn't feel like the "next big thing" in any way.

Now, of course that could change. But Sharp is currently struggling getting people to even care about IGZO, which is currently losing ground to LTPS (which was never supposed to be in the game). The idea they are going to generate momentum behind a more expensive display that they can't mass produce is more amusing than something to take seriously.

Thanks. I have generally thought that new mobile display technologies would only need to offer "decent" display quality if they also had a dramatic drop in power consumption. I am starting to rethink that as we see the amount of video that is being watched on phablets/tablets.

One thing that is a bit different about Pixtronix though is that Qualcomm has often shown a willingness to sustain large losses while trying to bring technologies to market. They have a $700 million dollar Mirasol fab that is just gathering dust because they decided to build a fab ahead of any actual consumer interest. If vendors show any interest in Pixtronix, they might just throw money at it.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Thanks. I have generally thought that new mobile display technologies would only need to offer "decent" display quality if they also had a dramatic drop in power consumption. I am starting to rethink that as we see the amount of video that is being watched on phablets/tablets.

Of course, a display with a dramatic drop in power usage and good picture quality would be a killer tech for mobile....
Quote:
One thing that is a bit different about Pixtronix though is that Qualcomm has often shown a willingness to sustain large losses while trying to bring technologies to market. They have a $700 million dollar Mirasol fab that is just gathering dust because they decided to build a fab ahead of any actual consumer interest. If vendors show any interest in Pixtronix, they might just throw money at it.

Qualcomm is weird. They were so excited/bullish on Mirasol. It sucked, though. I saw every demo year after year. It was never good enough to be anything interesting... It was a mediocre competitor to monochrome e-Ink that was, of course, not going to unseat it. And it was generally uninteresting as a color display...

I'd love to see this new tech take off, too. I just tend to believe the fundamentals of existing techs are very, very strong. The vulnerability of OLED seems to be on the manufacturing side... If the Pixtronix tech has a leg up there, that gets interesting... But it has to also now match things like ability to go on bendable substrates... ability to use power on only part of the display... etc...

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page