Predict all the companies that will be out of the TV business in the next 5 years - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 190 Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

... but very few considered them deal breakers.
Oh, I'm not unhappy with my st60, and the IR was not a surprise to me. The st60 has a fine picture, and nothing's perfect. But the IR is a defect that I'd prefer to be without. I've noticed that some here seem to have become overwhelmed with nostalgia for the lost plasma, to the point of pretending that it was without fault.

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 190 Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Oh, I'm not unhappy with my st60, and the IR was not a surprise to me. The st60 has a fine picture, and nothing's perfect. But the IR is a defect that I'd prefer to be without. I've noticed that some here seem to have become overwhelmed with nostalgia for the lost plasma, to the point of pretending that it was without fault.

It's not nostalgia it's a fact. The last/current generations of Plasmas absolutely produced the best flat panel image for home theater use.
I also look at what my alternatives are today.
The Samsung 64" 8500 looked great. But I thought the Panasonic looked better.
IMHO LCD has inherent limitations and issues that will never produce an acceptable image for home use.

OLED looks very promising but have only had trade show or Best Buy experiences.
I'm sure in short order it will exceed the performance of plasma.
Though I'm unwilling to pay the early adopter tax again for OLED.

I'm really happy with my Panasonics.
Calibrated they look stunning.
post #183 of 190 Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^As a ZT60 and LG OLED owner, It does already exceed it in some (most?) PQ facets, motion performance being the area that presents the widest performance divide (in favor of the ZT).
post #184 of 190 Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 465
I don't think we can be nostalgic for something that isn't really even in the grave yet... But that said, it's worth noting that while the 60 series folks seem to have some image retention complaints, I find the effect impossible to replicate on my VT50. (The one time I ever saw it was during calibration; it was the first and last time.)

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #185 of 190 Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I honestly feel that a lack of advertising killed plasma. Look at the shootouts from the last two years. Look at the magazine reviews, especially for Panasonics, over the last two years. Always ranked as The Top rated display. Almost 100% accross the board. Sound and VisionMagazine, Home Theater Magazine, CNET, HDGuru, USA Today, Wall Street Journal. All of this wonderful free publicity and the three plasma manufactures did NOTHING to promote plasma as a technology. Nothing to combat the misinformation the public was being fed at the retail levels. Plenty bright in 2013, IR no longer a big deal, and really terrific bang for the buck compared to top performing LCD's.

I don't think any amount of advertising would have countered the phenomenon of people going into a shop and preferring how LCDs look.

People buy a new TV because they want the new TV to be more "modern" and "modern" means doing something their old TV doesn't. People love strong brightness and 100/120Hz motion interpolation because their old TV won't do that. Plasmas look more like CRTs, including flicker, so people think they are "old" technology.
post #186 of 190 Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

I don't think any amount of advertising would have countered the phenomenon of people going into a shop and preferring how LCDs look.

People buy a new TV because they want the new TV to be more "modern" and "modern" means doing something their old TV doesn't. People love strong brightness and 100/120Hz motion interpolation because their old TV won't do that. Plasmas look more like CRTs, including flicker, so people think they are "old" technology.
You may be correct but we'll never know because Panasonic decided not to attempt a campaign to take advantage of the positive comparisons between their plasma's and similar priced LCD's. Have you seen Shaq's commercials for lotion on TV? A personality like him, touting the virtues of plasma during the NBA playoffs would certainly target the desired age group of males in this country.
mo949 likes this.
post #187 of 190 Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 203
You have to advertise to keep the moron market which is most of the business.
post #188 of 190 Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Will the Chinese liberate us from LCD slavery into OLED slavery?

I'd rather be an OLED slave than an LCD slave.

I wonder if the US will ever make anything anymore?
post #189 of 190 Old 04-25-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 181
By the time OLED becomes price competitive with LCD another technology will be knocking at the door to supplant OLED I will be very surprised if we see a major electronic device totally "made in America", in the next 2 or 3 decades.
post #190 of 190 Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

You may be correct but we'll never know because Panasonic decided not to attempt a campaign to take advantage of the positive comparisons between their plasma's and similar priced LCD's. Have you seen Shaq's commercials for lotion on TV? A personality like him, touting the virtues of plasma during the NBA playoffs would certainly target the desired age group of males in this country.

Good point on the marketing - certainly wasn't enough (if any?) of it. Maybe they thought plasma vs LCD marketing would have taken away from their LCD divisions that were being internally touted as the next big thing?
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page