post #31 of 59 Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

10-bit color is going to be a far more subtle change than 4K.
Glasses-free 3D is never going to do well with the current technologies. It severely limits resolution and viewing angles. As you increase the number of viewing positions, you divide up the screen resolution further, and further impact 2D image quality. Few people are going to be replacing their current displays with 4K or OLED displays. The future is quite concerning for the type of people that visit forums such as this.
We all want high-end displays, but few of us want to be early adopters of 4K or OLEDs, and it will be years before those displays reach maturity - if the companies don't abandon them or go out of business first.

If there is some kind of ~ price parity people will buy 4K, 10-bit and whatever is on stickers suggesting 'better' numbers than the mere 2K, 8-bit, etc. Thus due to consumer psychology and marketing battles, 4K will eventually replace 2K even if it is not really used.

irkuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 196
4K at sizes greater than 70 inches is going to be a long slog when it comes to high quality displays.

You will see a lot of Chinese 4K LCDs that suck at sizes of 65 inches and less.

The future is bleak.

LCD won the war and is now on the march to ever cheaper and ever worse picture quality wise.
post #33 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Oled will save the industry some day
pdoherty972 likes this.

Matt
post #34 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Until then when it comes to Flat Panels AVS will be a classic vintage yesterday forum.
post #35 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Until then when it comes to Flat Panels AVS will be a classic vintage yesterday forum.

Oh for crying out loud AVS will be just fine. The Plasma forum will see a drop in readership with the demise of the Panasonic Plasmas, but all of the other AVS Forums will carry on with business as usual. If anything, the loss of Panasonic may generate even more discussion on the various AVS Forums as people scramble to find the next best display.

All these Chicken Little posts are getting tiring rolleyes.gif
markrubin likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #36 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
^^^ what Randy said:

you know there has been a drop in readership on the CRT Display Devices forum too, http://www.avsforum.com/f/64/direct-view-single-tube-crt-displays

but AVS is still doing fine Thank you

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #37 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 376
I haven't clicked on the plasma forum since Panasonic's announcement more or less. But I'm still in this forum (and the LCD one).

[ scratches head]

There is still a CRT forum?

[ /scratches head]

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #38 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I do sometimes engage in hyperbole. The fact of the matter is that no one is giddily holding their breath over the prospect of LCD improvement.

LCD if anything has been going backwards for at least the last two years.

Edge lit crap is REALITY.

FALD is BARELY alive.

LCD mediocrity is hardly the thing that an enthusiast forum is meant to be about.

The one good thing about the LCD horror story fiasco is it may prompt people into visiting the many other forums here at AVS.
markrubin, herpderp and stas3098 like this.
post #39 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What I know is 4K at the theater makes my HDTV not look so good. I want that at home.
post #40 of 59 Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

10-bit color is going to be a far more subtle change than 4K.
Glasses-free 3D is never going to do well with the current technologies. It severely limits resolution and viewing angles. As you increase the number of viewing positions, you divide up the screen resolution further, and further impact 2D image quality.

Few people are going to be replacing their current displays with 4K or OLED displays. The future is quite concerning for the type of people that visit forums such as this.
We all want high-end displays, but few of us want to be early adopters of 4K or OLEDs, and it will be years before those displays reach maturity - if the companies don't abandon them or go out of business first.

Have you seen the Ultra D sets? Didn't like?

I don't understand why these companies don't try to fill niche needs of gamers. Many people have been wanting seamless triple monitor setups for ages. One of the problems with them has also been lack of height, limiting vertical FOV, which could also be addressed. How about small wrap around displays that fit on a articulating arm you easily move up near your head, providing an FOV wider than the Oculus Rift. Create your own market.
post #41 of 59 Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I haven't clicked on the plasma forum since Panasonic's announcement more or less.

Do you think Samsung's F8500 series PDP is a worthy, last alternative, to purchase if the buyer is looking for a "decent" display to tide himself over until OLEDs (hopefully) become main stream?
post #42 of 59 Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

Do you think Samsung's F8500 series PDP is a worthy, last alternative, to purchase if the buyer is looking for a "decent" display to tide himself over until OLEDs (hopefully) become main stream?

Right now the F8500 series Plamsa is the best choice picture quality wise.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #43 of 59 Old 02-19-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I do sometimes engage in hyperbole. The fact of the matter is that no one is giddily holding their breath over the prospect of LCD improvement.

FALD is BARELY alive.

LCD mediocrity is hardly the thing that an enthusiast forum is meant to be about.

The one good thing about the LCD horror story fiasco is it may prompt people into visiting the many other forums here at AVS0.

That's a good suggestion. One can visit the Plasma forum, for example, and learn all about image retention, burn-In, buzzing, ABL brightness changes, line bleed and dither.
post #44 of 59 Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

FALD is BARELY alive.

The one good thing about the LCD horror story fiasco is it may prompt people into visiting the many other forums here at AVS.

yes agreed about the hyperbole

I used the CRT Forum as an example: members have been complaining for years about the demise of the CRT display

remember trying to do a proper convergence on a CRT set? it was a series of compromises...

Time and technology move on: and some beloved products become obsolete: that is the nature of this technology these days: we have seen what is possible in the new OLED displays, and the best LCD displays: I am not stuck at lamenting the demise of a particular display type...instead looking forward to see the advances develop in the state of the art

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #45 of 59 Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

I don't understand why these companies don't try to fill niche needs of gamers

I think brick and mortar retailers should actually hook up high-end gaming rigs to their 4K demo units, and show off a high-end PC game like Crysis 2 running in 4K resolution. I think it would sell vastly more 4K displays to the gamer crowd, and I think there are more gamers that would consider spending the money, than people wanting to see the scant little 4K video content that will be available.
post #46 of 59 Old 02-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
100 years from now, Art's great grandkids will be on here bemoaning the demise of Quantum Field Matrix Holographic projectors as the newer Micro Singularity Printed Holographic projectors take over.

Artwood the 5th: "Sure, the micro singularities absorb more light and have deeper blacks but at the cost of inaccurate color reproduction! We are doomed to a vast wasteland of MSPH tech forever!" smile.gif
post #47 of 59 Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I think brick and mortar retailers should actually hook up high-end gaming rigs to their 4K demo units, and show off a high-end PC game like Crysis 2 running in 4K resolution. I think it would sell vastly more 4K displays to the gamer crowd, and I think there are more gamers that would consider spending the money, than people wanting to see the scant little 4K video content that will be available.

You surely have not been asking about the cost of (ultra)-high-end PC running smoothly games @4K/60Hz eek.gif. Beside this, even if some retailer would like to hook such PC to 4K/60Hz TV, it is impossible. There is no PC with the HDMI 2.0 output mad.gif.

irkuck
post #48 of 59 Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

You surely have not been asking about the cost of (ultra)-high-end PC running smoothly games @4K/60Hz eek.gif. Beside this, even if some retailer would like to hook such PC to 4K/60Hz TV, it is impossible. There is no PC with the HDMI 2.0 output mad.gif.
Panasonic support 4K at 60Hz over DisplayPort 1.2
Console gamers are used to 30fps anyway, so even 4K gaming at 30Hz would be a big step up for them, compared to the sub-1080p, sub-30fps they're used to.
post #49 of 59 Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panasonic support 4K at 60Hz over DisplayPort 1.2
Console gamers are used to 30fps anyway, so even 4K gaming at 30Hz would be a big step up for them, compared to the sub-1080p, sub-30fps they're used to.

Any decent PC gaming uses 60Hz and while indeed Pana is unique in providing it, the DP1.2 is a mere prothesis for a real 4K/60Hz - which in fact the HDMI 2.0 supports. Thus, unless there is HDMI 2.0 in the PC world there is no real 4K gaming on TV. Beyond all this there is an issue of the iron one should have under the hood for 4K gaming. For illustration there are games which Sony PS4 is able to play at 1080p while X1 manages to play them at 900p (at 30 fps) so the new consoles are barely able to play those games at full HD. Laymen should thus think about stacking 4xPS4 or 4.5xX1 to get into 4K. For 60ps that gets even higher.

irkuck
post #50 of 59 Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any decent PC gaming uses 60Hz and while indeed Pana is unique in providing it, the DP1.2 is a mere prothesis for a real 4K/60Hz - which in fact the HDMI 2.0 supports. Thus, unless there is HDMI 2.0 in the PC world there is no real 4K gaming on TV.
As I said in my post, console gamers are used to 30fps anyway, so the 30Hz limitation most 4K televisions currently have is not a major issue, if you're simply using it as a demo to show off what 4K gaming is like compared to the consoles.
Most games are not rendered at 1080p on the consoles, struggle to hit 30fps, and maybe next generation console gamers will be able to find out what anisotropic filtering and proper anti-aliasing is.
Quote:

Beyond all this there is an issue of the iron one should have under the hood for 4K gaming. For illustration there are games which Sony PS4 is able to play at 1080p while X1 manages to play them at 900p (at 30 fps) so the new consoles are barely able to play those games at full HD. Laymen should thus think about stacking 4xPS4 or 4.5xX1 to get into 4K. For 60ps that gets even higher.
Something like a GTX780Ti already meets that criteria, though you won't even need something that powerful in most cases - and nothing nearly as fast if you only need to hit 30fps. I'm already running a lot of games at 4K on my old GTX570 from 2010. (4x SGSSAA, so the output is 1080p60)
post #51 of 59 Old 02-22-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I said in my post, console gamers are used to 30fps anyway, so the 30Hz limitation most 4K televisions currently have is not a major issue, if you're simply using it as a demo to show off what 4K gaming is like compared to the consoles.
Most games are not rendered at 1080p on the consoles, struggle to hit 30fps, and maybe next generation console gamers will be able to find out what anisotropic filtering and proper anti-aliasing is.
Something like a GTX780Ti already meets that criteria, though you won't even need something that powerful in most cases - and nothing nearly as fast if you only need to hit 30fps. I'm already running a lot of games at 4K on my old GTX570 from 2010. (4x SGSSAA, so the output is 1080p60)

It seems you are thinking about some 4K gaming while I am referring to full 4K gaming with real difference comparing to 2K. Just taking Titan as benchmark, detailed evaluations show that for some games such real gaming @60Hz is impossible to achieve even @SLIx2 and sometimes 30 fps is on the limit of card performance.

irkuck
post #52 of 59 Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems you are thinking about some 4K gaming while I am referring to full 4K gaming with real difference comparing to 2K. Just taking Titan as benchmark, detailed evaluations show that for some games such real gaming @60Hz is impossible to achieve even @SLIx2 and sometimes 30 fps is on the limit of card performance.
Did you not even read the post that you had quoted? It said:

"I think brick and mortar retailers should actually hook up high-end gaming rigs to their 4K demo units, and show off a high-end PC game like Crysis 2 running in 4K resolution. I think it would sell vastly more 4K displays to the gamer crowd, and I think there are more gamers that would consider spending the money, than people wanting to see the scant little 4K video content that will be available."

There was nothing about your definition of what "full 4K gaming" is, or anything else.
If you are using it as a demonstration of what 4K offers for gaming, which one would assume means relative to what console gaming is like (as that's the "average" gamer) then 4K at 30Hz on a PC is more than enough to show a significant improvement, as the consoles struggle to run games at 30fps anyway.

And it's clear that you are not a PC gamer. Yes, current cards will not run games "maxed out" at 4K while keeping an average of 60fps.
But any PC gamer knows that games are built with future generations of graphics cards in mind. Running most games on their "ultra" setting is generally not feasible at the time of their release - they include many effects which are more technically correct but only marginally better looking.
These settings are used in benchmarks, because it stresses the cards more and does a better job showing off the differences between them, and it means the tests are GPU-bound and not CPU-bound.

The tests you linked to show that a single Titan is capable of running those games at ridiculous settings, above 30fps.
A GTX 780 has essentially the same performance as a Titan for half the price. ($500) The Titan is really a card for people that do rendering/compute, but don't want to pay for a Quadro card. It's not aimed towards gamers.

As an in-store demo for 4K, this would be more than sufficient.
post #53 of 59 Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
I just ran some demo 4k uncompressed content on my old XBR6. Would you believe it actually looked good? Maybe not *quite* as good as it did on the 4k screen at best buy but it wasn't night/day difference.
post #54 of 59 Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And it's clear that you are not a PC gamer. Yes, current cards will not run games "maxed out" at 4K while keeping an average of 60fps.
But any PC gamer knows that games are built with future generations of graphics cards in mind. Running most games on their "ultra" setting is generally not feasible at the time of their release - they include many effects which are more technically correct but only marginally better looking.
These settings are used in benchmarks, because it stresses the cards more and does a better job showing off the differences between them, and it means the tests are GPU-bound and not CPU-bound.

This discussion started with somebody asking about 4K gaming and what I noticed and you also certify here it is not a piece of cake right now. One can definitely play games on a 4K TV even with old console using upconversion, one can scale down the settings, one be forgiving about occasional stuttering. But expecting fluid smooth operation where all 4K detail is in its fullness is not to be expected with standard components.

irkuck
post #55 of 59 Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

and maybe next generation console gamers will be able to find out what anisotropic filtering and proper anti-aliasing is.

I doubt it.  I remember back when Glide was the talk of the town (3DFX / Voodoo / etc.) and all the Unreal Tournament-o-philes (like me) were noticing the distinct advantages of AA.  The only problem?  It was yawned away by the public: AA there or not never mattered to them (for reasons I cannot guess).  No one outside of we crazies wanted it and outside of the old Voodoo it hampered performance.

The better AA is done by form of super-sampling: Basically you render at a higher resolution and then subsample down to the display resolution resulting in an averaging of the pixels.  This leaves no seam effects, and works more or less very well, but at a rendering cost.  For some reason Voodoo was pretty good at it.  Them good ol' days of single digit millions of triangles per second.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #56 of 59 Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

The better AA is done by form of super-sampling: Basically you render at a higher resolution and then subsample down to the display resolution resulting in an averaging of the pixels.  This leaves no seam effects, and works more or less very well, but at a rendering cost.
Yes - I'm rendering a lot of games at 4K60 already by supersampling. (output is 1080p60)
It is not nearly as demanding as irkuck suggests, and I configure everything so that the game does not drop below 60. I don't consider that to be acceptable at all.
post #57 of 59 Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

The better AA is done by form of super-sampling: Basically you render at a higher resolution and then subsample down to the display resolution resulting in an averaging of the pixels.  This leaves no seam effects, and works more or less very well, but at a rendering cost.
Yes - I'm rendering a lot of games at 4K60 already by supersampling. (output is 1080p60)
It is not nearly as demanding as irkuck suggests, and I configure everything so that the game does not drop below 60. I don't consider that to be acceptable at all.

Have you ever posted the specs/configuration of your HTPC?

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #58 of 59 Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post

I just ran some demo 4k uncompressed content on my old XBR6. Would you believe it actually looked good? Maybe not *quite* as good as it did on the 4k screen at best buy but it wasn't night/day difference.

The 4K demos they always use in the stores are usually far away pans of city landscapes where there is much small detail. They use looped scenes that are aimed at highlighting 4K. I always suspected these same scenes would look very close if done in 1080P. At normal viewing distances I have a very hard time telling the difference in even the demos. I bet 4K content of a normal movie would be even much harder to detect a noticeable difference.
post #59 of 59 Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

^There is also a question about the compression of content used in the demos. The content might be very lightly compressed, e.g. as a sequence of JPEG frames, which is unrealistic for any real content.

irkuck
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page