DOES THE WORLD NEED CURVED TVS? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > DOES THE WORLD NEED CURVED TVS?
irkuck's Avatar irkuck 03:14 AM 06-13-2014

Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 02:52 AM 06-21-2014
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 07:19 AM 06-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theplague13 View Post
That picture of the credits looks about like the level of bloom on the xbrhx950. The magnifying glass? Yes, that is because it was highlighted. Because if that was the extent of its bloom then it would be one of the much better falds. That's not much at all.
It's also painfully obvious to me that the image is VERY over-exposed. Just look at the credits, they're way too bright. So either the camera exposure was too long or the TV was too bright. Either way gentlemen, the degree of blooming is grossly exaggerated. Show me a picture of properly exposed credits and then everyone can discuss the degree of blooming.

In the many years I've been on AVS, I can't tell you how many erroneous conclusions or exaggerations, were caused by photographs that are either inaccurate or incapable of demonstrating the point the shooter wanted to illustrate.

The most frequent one is when people try to demonstrate black levels from a picture. You can make virtually ANY display look like it produces near zero luminance depending upon how you expose the picture.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 07:28 AM 06-21-2014
I forgot this thread was about curved TVs.

IMO curved TVs bring nothing, nada, zilch, zero to the picture quality table. What they do bring to the table is linear distortion. You remember, linear distortion was something that was often present when we watched our ancient CRTs. Yes, we thought the days of linearity issues were gone with the advent of flat panels, but thanks to curved TVs, it's back.

In fact, an assessment of linearity issues used to be part of almost all thorough reviews on CRTs and many FP TVs. I guess we need that section back again in curved TV reviews.

I sincerely hope this is a passing fad. In the interim, the problem is that the curved TVs also happen to be the top-of-the-line TVs for the two manufacturers currently using them. Whether you're looking at Samsung's 9000 series or the LG OLEDs, you're pretty much stuck with curves with the exception of the flat screen 55" OLED. With the upcoming 77" LG OLED, they are again 'blessing' us with curves.

I know it's bad when even my wife, far from being a videophile, immediately noticed the distortion on the 78" curved Samsung.
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 10:15 PM 06-21-2014
As I sat staring at a curved set, I had trouble turning off the part of me intrigued by the fact that it was different. I can see how many people might confuse that with better.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 11:40 PM 06-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I can't help but notice 'because it looks better' wasn't mentioned once.

to paraphrase, it's curved because "I like the way curves look on other stuff, and wondered if it could be done"

i'll let them slide for now, as long as them keep progressing with OLED, but that's a crock of marketing BS.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 09:20 AM 06-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
Does the world need Samsung?
In 2014, for those that enjoy what plasma brings to the table, apparently yes.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 09:24 AM 06-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
+1. Wasn't it Samsung that first started labeling the tv boxes with LED, with no mention at all of LCD, so everyone thought it was the next generation of a new tv? Kinda like labeling UHD (3840) as 4k.
Interestingly, Samsung was one of the first to properly label their TVs as UHD as opposed to 4K. Of course in reality, there is little difference in resolution between true 4K and UHD.
labboypro's Avatar labboypro 09:29 AM 06-22-2014
Curved TVs are great for our curved heads. However, logic follows then that the TVs should be curved in all directions to form an inverse hemisphere... and then we should have to look at 2 of them.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 09:44 AM 06-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I realize that this is not an instructional thread but it seems there is a difference of opinion on "blooming. On my LCD I do not see the blooming shown in the dual moon shot. When I have a dark scene up with a close up of a lighted face I see a light greenish aura radiating in a multi layered (rainbow) shape out towards the right side of the screen. It's not just this set (Sony 65w850a, Sony 70r550a, Sony 70w850b)) because I've seen it before. I never see this on blu-rays or even regular DVD's. I've always attributed it to the quality of the signal.
This is so true in many cases. When flat panels were new I used to have this back and forth with some on the subject of posterization. I later proved that one of the popular scenes in a movie had this posterization in the source. It was not a byproduct of the display device. That argument went on for pages and pages.

Just last night we went to see the Jersey Boys. The opening credits had what many would have thought was distinct blooming in the lettering. It was simply an 'effect'. I could just see some posting pictures of those credits as 'proof' Display A suffered from blooming.

People really need to be VERY careful before condemning a display, any display, for a PQ 'failing' that may well be in the source. I've seen this happen time and time again. Additionally, some of the pictures I've seen are poorly exposed, greatly exaggerating some of the effects the poster is trying to prove. This is not to say the issues aren't there, but they could appear far worse than reality because of the camera's exposure.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 09:50 AM 06-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Interestingly, Samsung was one of the first to properly label their TVs as UHD as opposed to 4K. Of course in reality, there is little difference in resolution between true 4K and UHD.
Yeah I know. They probably learned their lesson from the LCD/LED naming issue.
irkuck's Avatar irkuck 11:49 AM 06-23-2014
If not flat but curved then there is still another taboo lurking: Why displays have to be rectangular? The answer obviously is that was purely due to the old technology limitation. Which is just now being eliminated so expect not only curved but shaped in any imaginable way: How about curved oval displays without those nasty sharp corners?
kdog750's Avatar kdog750 06:25 AM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
As I sat staring at a curved set, I had trouble turning off the part of me intrigued by the fact that it was different. I can see how many people might confuse that with better.
Very true. Manufacturers are hoping "different" equates to "better" with the average consumer.

And as others have mentioned, it's the same concept with the LED renaming trick. Every person I've talked to at work in the past when discussing TV's would say they wanted the new LED TV's, not the old LCD ones. It's a marketing trick that worked. And that's just a name, not something you can actually see. So I guess I can understand Samsung's decision to market some useless change that you can see on the showroom floor.
rlindo's Avatar rlindo 08:08 AM 06-24-2014
I have no desire for a curved TV. If the curve is large enough that it makes linearity look really off then that's bad. If the curve is small enough that you don't really notice those issues and overall the curve effect "enhancement" is almost unnoticeable then what's the point? To make the TV look "cooler" to those who give a rip about things like that?

Just seems like a massive gimmick and a way to charge more for their sets.
kdog750's Avatar kdog750 06:19 PM 06-24-2014
They are likely just hoping people will equate the curved screen with IMAX and buy on the assumption they will get the same experience.
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 03:38 AM 06-25-2014
Straight from the horses mouth, the execs of all the major manufacturers answer the question posed by this thread. Skip to 33 minutes in:

http://youtu.be/MW1389JVPjQ

tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 07:52 AM 06-25-2014
Oh.
Dear.
Lord.
Pres2play's Avatar Pres2play 12:44 AM 06-29-2014
Well, living with my Samsung OLED for nine months now I can tell you I'm ready for a flat screen. Nothing wrong with the curve, the set still looks incredible, but watching the flat screens in the store, all wall mounted, I have to say I miss it -- a lot. I can't wait for the flat OLEDs to materialize. A 77" OLED with a sleek, flat profile will be hanging on my wall some day. You better believe that.
kasuza's Avatar kasuza 05:53 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Well, living with my Samsung OLED for nine months now I can tell you I'm ready for a flat screen. Nothing wrong with the curve, the set still looks incredible, but watching the flat screens in the store, all wall mounted, I have to say I miss it -- a lot. I can't wait for the flat OLEDs to materialize. A 77" OLED with a sleek, flat profile will be hanging on my wall some day. You better believe that.
I have two curved TV - Samsung OLED and HU900 and these TV are absolutely amazing. Nothing wrong with the curve, the viewing angles is same as flat screen TV when my family watch it at family room. I cannot wall-mount my Samsung curve TV with Samsung slim-wall-mount like previous models.
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 08:21 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuza View Post
I have two curved TV - Samsung OLED and HU900 and these TV are absolutely amazing. Nothing wrong with the curve, the viewing angles is same as flat screen TV when my family watch it at family room. I cannot wall-mount my Samsung curve TV with Samsung slim-wall-mount like previous models.
The guys are BB/Mag showed me the wall mounts that Samsung offers. It works by having these stand-offs that allow something that (at least) looks like a vesa mount to attach. It looked ok. Not great, but ok.
Audio Karma's Avatar Audio Karma 08:28 AM 06-29-2014
It cost more money to make them FLAT.. as the price goes down more your start seeing them FLAT...
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 08:42 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
It cost more money to make them FLAT.. as the price goes down more your start seeing them FLAT...
Where did you read that it costs more money to make them flat????
Audio Karma's Avatar Audio Karma 09:33 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
A few months ago I was doing a Google Search about OLED's and seen it BUT I don't remember where now...

I will post it here when I find it again...
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 10:07 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
They start out curved and the workers then have to iron and starch them to get them flat. Those people aren't working for free.
taichi4's Avatar taichi4 12:25 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
They start out curved and the workers then have to iron and starch them to get them flat. Those people aren't working for free.
What about getting the spots out? You forgot about that. That's extra, particularly if you need it the same day.
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 12:26 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
What about getting the spots out? You forgot about that. That's extra, particularly if you need it the same day.
They use Tide so it's all good.
taichi4's Avatar taichi4 12:45 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
They use Tide so it's all good.
Maybe on an HD set, but for 4K don't you think they should use Tide Ultra Plus Bleach Vivid White?

That would help the contrast, too.
Ant99's Avatar Ant99 01:27 PM 06-29-2014
They came up with the idea that since the Earth is not flat...tv's are not flat either.
taichi4's Avatar taichi4 01:54 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant99 View Post
They came up with the idea that since the Earth is not flat...
Not flat! What are your sources?
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 03:06 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
A few months ago I was doing a Google Search about OLED's and seen it BUT I don't remember where now...

I will post it here when I find it again...
The only conceivable reason I can think of would be for structural integrity. Making something flat that's 4mm thin is definitely more difficult/expensive than a curved shape. Of course I don't need my TV to be 4mm thin in the first place but I guess they won't give that up - it draws too much attention in the stores since no LCD can duplicate it.
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop