AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
???

Sure, and a curved tv might make you happy until you drop one on your foot. So what?
The point is that because a curved object can make you happy in general hardly is a predictor of the utility of a curved TV...particularly a small one. It didn't make the CNET writer happy.

It's a daffy argument because it doesn't address all the other characteristics of what makes a display ideal for viewing. In the same way a round tablet computer (my serious example) would be horrendous.

By the logic of that article, we should have round cars, round doors, round toasters, and round construction cranes. Well, that wouldn't make me happy, but now I know one poster on this forum who would be.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-06-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 231 Old 07-06-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
I understood it as a serious critique. Sorry.
That's cool. The irony is that I read a lot of science, with an interest in neurology, and the breakthroughs in optimizing neural functioning.

And I happened to like Merlot as it's not too dry, even if my sense of humor is, occasionally.
post #213 of 231 Old 07-06-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

In the interest of fairness, here's an article from Pocket Lint wherein the reviewer likes the curve, even in a small TV:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/12...ved-tv-review#

One thing that I do believe, and have posted many times, is that people see and hear things differently. Thankfully, people can purchase what makes them happy...curved or not.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #214 of 231 Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
It's a well-established fact that a neuroscientist will say anything for a nice dinner and a 2008 Merlot.
i am flabbergasted to see someone write such gibberish

i take it you more comfortable with the GED set

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #215 of 231 Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post
Curved TVS are dumb. But as long as there is AVS there will be the sales force here trying to sell whatever the industry is producing.

110-inch Flat 4K OLED...now that makes sense...how many years til the Chinese can produce that for 3K?
$3k?!?!?! I'd pay $10K or more for that and not be even remotely disappointed in the cost. HEck, I would wait in line to do so.
post #216 of 231 Old 07-06-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
i am flabbergasted to see someone write such gibberish

i take it you more comfortable with the GED set
Please read my response to the gentleman who misunderstood my satirical comment, and then responded in a friendly, understanding way.

As to your second comment, no, as I clearly am not comfortable having this exchange with you.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-07-2014 at 06:09 PM.
post #217 of 231 Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Both the CNET and Pocket Lint articles point to an advantage with these curved screens, which is that, by and large, the shape can control reflections somewhat, even at these smaller screen sizes. So that appears to be a plus.

The Pocket Lint reviewer of the 46 inch screen makes the point (that I've heard raised elsewhere) that the curvature may enhance apparent edge brightness, but it seems to me this would only be truly effective if you're seated more or less in the center.

The problem with sitting off axis with a conventional, flat LCD screen is that, with the possible exception of the best IPS screens, the farthest edge of the display from the viewer will appear dimmer because of the narrow angle of view of most LCD displays. It would seem that with a small curved screen, if you're sitting off axis, the far edge of the display would be brighter, but the near edge, which is curved away from you, may be dimmer at certain viewing distances.

In other words it would seem that the curved display might reverses this characteristic of an LCD screen if you're sitting some distance away, unless the display is large. A larger display would be more tolerant, as the sweet spot is larger.

Because of the excellent off axis characteristics of OLED displays, neither a flat nor curved display would differ much in this respect.

As far as a curved screen increasing immersion, I still believe that really only becomes a factor with truly large displays. The Pocket Lint reviewer also felt that immersion would be more enhanced on larger displays, though he included 55 inch and 65 inch displays in that category.

At any rate, you have one reviewer who doesn't care for the curved screen, and one who does, but were only in the first inning.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-07-2014 at 06:31 PM.
post #218 of 231 Old 07-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My next set will definitely be curved. I find it provides a better 3D effect and is much more 'immersive' to my eyes, especially when viewed next to a flat panel. To each his own...,
post #219 of 231 Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog1108 View Post
My next set will definitely be curved. I find it provides a better 3D effect and is much more 'immersive' to my eyes, especially when viewed next to a flat panel. To each his own...,
Do you mean 3D effect on normal 2D material, or do you mean actual 3D?

How big of a screen are you pondering, and how big of a curved screen have you seen?

I'm a firm believer in "to each his own" as it is ultimately a matter of taste, as well as people perceiving things differently.

I happen to like well designed omnidirectional speakers, while some people don't like them at all.

`
post #220 of 231 Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Trouble with the curve: What you need to know about curved TVs

By David Katzmaier

http://www.cnet.com/news/trouble-wit...ut-curved-tvs/

"After a month living with a curved TV at home, and more time in the lab comparing it to flat TVs, I've learned a few things.

Now that I've lived with one in my own living room for a month and a half, and spent hours more in the lab comparing it to flat-panel TVs, I'll say it again with more certainty: The Samsung UNHU9000 has "great picture quality, but the curved screen is a flat-out gimmick."
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #221 of 231 Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
Trouble with the curve: What you need to know about curved TVs

By David Katzmaier

http://www.cnet.com/news/trouble-wit...ut-curved-tvs/

"After a month living with a curved TV at home, and more time in the lab comparing it to flat TVs, I've learned a few things.

Now that I've lived with one in my own living room for a month and a half, and spent hours more in the lab comparing it to flat-panel TVs, I'll say it again with more certainty: The Samsung UNHU9000 has "great picture quality, but the curved screen is a flat-out gimmick."
You must have not dropped in on the thread for awhile, as that article has been posted (linked) twice.

UPDATE

It appears that the article you posted is a shortened rewrite of the article posted earlier.

Last edited by taichi4; 07-08-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #222 of 231 Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Although this thread is primarily about curved screens, we have also strayed into discussions about 4K.

Here is an article which supports the notion that we shouldn't rush or be stampeded into adopting new technology right at the outset.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/new-4k-...tvs-fall-short
post #223 of 231 Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 896
^ Let's be clear about that article, most 2014 UHD TVs DO meet those 'guidelines'. As with any significant purchase, you should research prior to buying.
post #224 of 231 Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
^ Let's be clear about that article, most 2014 UHD TVs DO meet those 'guidelines'. As with any significant purchase, you should research prior to buying.
This fellow, from another thread, makes some interesting points on that very subject:

04-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Otto Pylot
AVS Special Member

“ Review the panel specs very carefully and HDMI 2.0 inputs. You don't want to be disappointed a year from now when you discover your panel can't display the upcoming rec.2020 standards or the advertised HDMI 2.0 input(s) aren't fully compliant with the new chipsets which are just starting to appear in some new receivers. Familiarize yourself with HDMI 2.0 and see if your new tv can handle the specs you are most concerned with now.”

05-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Otto Pylot

AVS Special Member

"...I don't expect full HDMI 2.0 compliance (new chipsets) for at least another year or so. Lots of mfrs will be selling "HDMI 2.0" devices but they seem to be reluctant to disclose how much of the HDMI 2.0 protocols they have implemented."

Old 05-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Otto Pylot

AVS Special Member

"...Yep. That's why I'm not getting all excited about HDMI 2.0. It's a step in the right direction, as far as HDMI goes, but there is just too much uncertainty and marketing b.s. about HDMI 2.0 at present for me to give it serious consideration. Folks who are purchasing "4k" sets with supposed "HDMI 2.0" now are going to be very disappointed in a year or so..."

Last edited by taichi4; 07-10-2014 at 01:52 PM.
post #225 of 231 Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Otto is wrong. Only Sony seems to have gimped HDMI 2.0 ports for 2014 (so far). Samsung's upgradeability with the one connect box is pretty good insurance here also.
post #226 of 231 Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Otto is wrong. Only Sony seems to have gimped HDMI 2.0 ports for 2014 (so far). Samsung's upgradeability with the one connect box is pretty good insurance here also.
Possibly. But check the Samsung posts about the folks who have purchased the One Connect box and are having all kinds of issues right now with confusing and misleading firmware updates, cable issues, app issues, etc. The One Connect box may be a good idea but it seems to have been rushed a bit to grab those early adopters. It almost has the appearance of Samsung pushing the One Connect so that the early adopters can be their "real world beta testers". Some may like that sort of challenge, I don't. Especially when it costs an extra $400 for the privilege.

There are devices starting to appear with HDMI 2.0 (receivers, blu-ray players, etc) but I still stand by my statement that until the mfrs publish which aspects of HDMI 2.0 their devices have, I wouldn't buy this year. I don't know how far the One Connect boxes can be upgraded before you have to purchase another box. Some feel that the cost is justified to be current. I can't argue either way on that.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-11-2014 at 01:29 PM.
post #227 of 231 Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, particularly as things have not been finalized yet as far as equipment other than these first panels is concerned.

Early adoption is better for people for whom the investment is not crucial, and for them it may be "right."

By the same token early adopters are, as Otto Pylot says, heta testers of a sort.
post #228 of 231 Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are aspects to 'upcoming standards' that may never be implemented or not implemented for years. I don't see this is as quite the concern that others may have. For those that are really concerned, wait, but, IMO, don't expect to take advantage of any additional compliance features for quite some time. We are quite a ways off from even having a broadcast 4K standard, so I can't get overly excited about new color standards that will probably meet with tremendous resistance for a number of reasons.

Further 'standards' may come in drips and drabs and who knows when any panel will be fully compliant with everything down the road. I'm not holding my breath.
post #229 of 231 Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
+1. CEC Extensions would be nice as a listed included protocol for upcoming HDMI 2.0. It would be great to be able to use HDMI control with all of your devices without any issues at all. But again, one would need to replace all devices to that spec.
post #230 of 231 Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I was watching Good Morning America today and in the studio they had a Sammy HU9000 curved TV sitting on a steel table (during the story about the inventor of the Selfie). Up till now i've never seen a curved TV on TV before

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #231 of 231 Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I was watching Good Morning America today and in the studio they had a Sammy HU9000 curved TV sitting on a steel table (during the story about the inventor of the Selfie). Up till now i've never seen a curved TV on TV before
You know that "hall of mirrors" effect you get when you point a camera to the monitor it's connected to? I wonder how that'll look on these pringle panels, especially as you move the camera around a little.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #232 of 231 Old Today, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Of course, once you have purchased a Samsung Curved TV, you then will need a curved soundbar for it.

http://www.engadget.com/topics/hd/
post #233 of 231 Old Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Does one need curved snacks while watching a curved TV?
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page