Viewing Distance seems to be a huge issue now.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 146
If you're like me, and you have a normal sized living room setup, viewing distance can be a real issue.

I remember in the old days, you could sit really far from a 50 inch TV, and it wasn't really a big deal. However, now that 1080p has become more of a standard, it seems that I can sit way, way closer to a 50 inch 1080p display. Now we add 4K into the mix. With 4K, you want to be even closer than you are with 1080p.

Here is where the problem arises. In my living room, the two primary walls are like 14 1/2 feet apart. If I put the sofa up against the back wall, that means that my eyeballs are still almost 14 feet away from the wall. Right now we have a 50 inch 1080p plasma that is in an entertainment center, and it's sticking out maybe 2 feet from the wall. This means, that my eyeballs are about 12 feet from the screen.

Certainly this is WAY too far to be sitting for a 1080p display. So, when the wife isn't around, and I"m playing a PS4 game, or watching a Blu Ray movie, I take the love seat, and I move it in front of the TV, and my eyeballs are about 6 feet from the 50 inch display. This seems to work out much better, but I can't sit like this in normal situations, because we would have the sofa basically sticking out in the middle of the room.

One way to solve the problem is to go with a much bigger screen right ? Well, my wife is actually interested in getting rid of our entertainment center and having a large screen mounted up on the wall, but in this scenario, the screen will actually go even farther back than it is now. Right now, it's like 2 feet out from the wall, but if we mount it on the wall, it's only going to be like 6 or 7 inches away from the wall. Yes, it will be a bigger screen, but how much bigger?

Then there is the 4K question. With 4K, you want to sit even closer than 1080p.

Basically, I just can't figure out how to get the seating distance thing figured out in a room where the walls are nearly 14 1/2 feet away from each other. If I have the sofa moved way out from the back wall, then we will have this big empty space behind our sofa, and that will seem kinda weird. Anybody know what I'm talking about ? lol... Sorry for the crazy rant.. just something I've been thinking about.

(by the way, can't go projector in this room, too many windows / ambient light )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-11-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
With a viewing distance of 14ft, you cannot buy a screen that is too large - get the biggest you can afford.
Even a 75" display only has a viewing angle of 22°!
THX recommend a viewing angle of 40° (diagonal × 1.2) which would require a 140" screen at 14ft, and I prefer to sit even closer than that. (in the 50-60° range)

P.S. I would not call 14ft from the sofa to the screen a "normal" viewing distance for a television - that's huge!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-11-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Move the sofa away from the back wall. It's not weird, and the sound from surround speakers will work better, too.
RVCJJ3J likes this.

Greg Lee
post #4 of 13 Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it's going to be a real hard sell for me to get my wife to agree to moving the sofa away from the wall. Maybe I can get it about 6 inches father from the wall than it is currently, but that's about it.

Maybe there is a way that we could completely reconfigure the room in such a way that I can have a corner in which the sofa is pretty close to the wall, and I can locate a 65 inch 4K display there. What would be a good viewing distance from one of the 65 inch Sony 4k displays ? Take into consideration that very little real 4K content is going to be available for the next few years, so don't want to be 100 percent 4k close, have to consider that most stuff I'll be watching will be upscaled from 1080p.

I guess my other option is to the leave the room as it is, and get a gigantic 80 inch Sharp, like that one that Costco has for about $2600 or so. Only thing is, I'm guessing that stuff will look great on that giant screen if it's a very high quality source like blu ray or PS4 or something, but just some over the air Jerry Springer programs would probably look absolutely awful. Not that I'd be watching any Jerry Springer or anything, but you get the drift. Basically, I don't have confidence that a cheapo version of the 80 inch sharp will really be up to par on all kinds of viewing material. Some things will look very good, but other stuff could look quite terrible.

I'd love a 80 inch 4K, but don't have that kind of coin. I could consider one of the Sony 65 inch 4K's, but then I'd have to completely reconfigure the room to accommodate moving the primary sofa so much closer to the viewing wall.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-11-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Maybe there is a way that we could completely reconfigure the room in such a way that I can have a corner in which the sofa is pretty close to the wall, and I can locate a 65 inch 4K display there. What would be a good viewing distance from one of the 65 inch Sony 4k displays ? Take into consideration that very little real 4K content is going to be available for the next few years, so don't want to be 100 percent 4k close, have to consider that most stuff I'll be watching will be upscaled from 1080p.
65 * 1.2 = 6.5ft THX recommended viewing distance. (40°)
Personally, 40° is the minimum I want for films & games.

I'm one of the biggest proponents of 4K here, saying that it is effective at much further distances than most of the charts that get posted.
But if you're going to be sitting 14ft away from a 65" screen (19.1°) it's absolutely not worth buying a 4K set at all.
Quote:

I guess my other option is to the leave the room as it is, and get a gigantic 80 inch Sharp, like that one that Costco has for about $2600 or so. Only thing is, I'm guessing that stuff will look great on that giant screen if it's a very high quality source like blu ray or PS4 or something, but just some over the air Jerry Springer programs would probably look absolutely awful. Not that I'd be watching any Jerry Springer or anything, but you get the drift. Basically, I don't have confidence that a cheapo version of the 80 inch sharp will really be up to par on all kinds of viewing material. Some things will look very good, but other stuff could look quite terrible.
80" at 14ft is only a 23.4° viewing angle. That's still only filling a tiny portion of your vision. I wouldn't worry about it.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:

I think it's going to be a real hard sell for me to get my wife to agree to moving the sofa away from the wall. Maybe I can get it about 6 inches father from the wall than it is currently, but that's about it.

I'd love a 80 inch 4K, but don't have that kind of coin. I could consider one of the Sony 65 inch 4K's, but then I'd have to completely reconfigure the room to accommodate moving the primary sofa so much closer to the viewing wall.

We have a long room with a TV on one short end and a bay window opposite.  It was the only way to position the TV without mounting it above a fireplace which is something I won't do.

So, I moved the couch in from the window a good 6 feet or so.  Surprisingly, this actually works well, and we put a tall thin table up against the couch to "frame" it.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Here is a secret guaranteed to make your wife very happy Anthony. Trust me I've done this fake out several times to great success against a very demanding and cunning foe.

Move the couch in to wherever you want it. Then create a very decorative walk around/Play around area with careful placement of a very nice plant stand ( you allow her to buy) behind the couch. And Voila! She's sees the whole back of the room open up for design and decoration. Coming soon are new corner plants and lamps, pictures and you name it. The kids will frolic with glee behind the couch because the room will seem bigger. And "BOOOOM"! You become the new renaissance Man hero of the home.

Have fun with this great opportunity and stretch out a bit artistically.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Here is a secret guaranteed to make your wife very happy Anthony. Trust me I've done this fake out several times to great success against a very demanding and cunning foe.

Move the couch in to wherever you want it. Then create a very decorative walk around/Play around area with careful placement of a very nice plant stand ( you allow her to buy) behind the couch. And Voila! She's sees the whole back of the room open up for design and decoration. Coming soon are new corner plants and lamps, pictures and you name it. The kids will frolic with glee behind the couch because the room will seem bigger. And "BOOOOM"! You become the new renaissance Man hero of the home.

Have fun with this great opportunity and stretch out a bit artistically.

......and then she reads this forum......

barrelbelly likes this.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

LOL! biggrin.gif That's why I guard my code names closer that MI6!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

LOL! biggrin.gif That's why I guard my code names closer that MI6!

I love the talk about wives in this forum as some kind of unified and predictable force.  And for good reason.  Totally cracks me up.  My favorite was someone who bought a very large display and then reported he got "wifed" and had to return it for a smaller one.  LOL!

post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I have my TV in a 24' wide room with a sofa in the middle. The TV sticks out maybe a foot so I'm 11' away and the TV is 60". It could be closer, but it's not terribly far away. I have a loveseat to the right and it needs some clearance from the TV so I'm kind of limited to how close I can put the sofa without it looking terrible. The only way for a bigger picture is to get a bigger TV and that's what I'll do once big 4K TVs come down in price or my TV breaks.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to just sit back and enjoy what you have even though this forum makes it difficult to do so.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Sometimes the best thing to do is to just sit back and enjoy what you have even though this forum makes it difficult to do so.

Truth be told, I have a separate media room with a front projector setup in there, and I just purchased a brand new BenQ W1070. So, I guess I should probably forget about the living room display for awhile, and revisit it at some point in the future. I only started thinking about it because my wife mentioned the idea of getting rid of the entertainment center and mounting a larger TV on the wall. Normally you don't expect to get a suggestion like that from the wife, lol. So, it started me down a rabbit hole of thinking what I could do with the living room setup. Then the whole dilemma of viewing distance reared it's ugly head.

You know how some people will have a small bedroom in their house that they use as a home office room, or a computer room ? That would be the perfect size room for a 65 inch 4K display, and a sofa sitting super close to it.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-14-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Truth be told, I have a separate media room with a front projector setup in there, and I just purchased a brand new BenQ W1070. So, I guess I should probably forget about the living room display for awhile, and revisit it at some point in the future. I only started thinking about it because my wife mentioned the idea of getting rid of the entertainment center and mounting a larger TV on the wall. Normally you don't expect to get a suggestion like that from the wife, lol. So, it started me down a rabbit hole of thinking what I could do with the living room setup. Then the whole dilemma of viewing distance reared it's ugly head.

You know how some people will have a small bedroom in their house that they use as a home office room, or a computer room ? That would be the perfect size room for a 65 inch 4K display, and a sofa sitting super close to it.

What I would do is get rid of the entertainment center and mount your current TV on the wall with a mount that can take much larger TV sizes. Tell your wife that you don't want to get rid of a good TV and you'll get a bigger TV later. When a good time comes, you'll be in a position to get whatever TV you want. Your wife will trust you to make the right decision since you were practical about the current TV. I would guess in a couple of years, you'll have much better options than now.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page