Should I replace my Pioneer Elite PRO-101FD 50" plasma with the LG 55EA9800 55" OLED? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Should I replace my Pioneer Elite Signature Series PRO-101FD 50" plasma with the LG 55EA9800 55" OLE
This would be a worthy upgrade. If the price is low enough, the pains of being an early adopter will be outweighed by the benefits that OLED provides. 5 19.23%
Wait at least a couple more generations for OLED to mature, you'll regret replacing your 101FD with a 1st gen OLED. 15 57.69%
The Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT60 65" would be the most prudent upgrade path, though the only real upgrade here will be the display size. 3 11.54%
Join the LCD lemmings and get a 70" or > 4K FALD LED. Resistance is futile, the majority of consumers must know best. 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Pioneer Elite Signature Series PRO-101FD 50" that I had purchased from a local dealer new in 2010, that would be the 9.5 generation and final Kuro panel from Pioneer. The panel has audible buzzing when audio is silent, but I can never recall noticing the buzzing when watching a movie. It never exhibited so much as a hint of burn-in or image retention. Performs flawlessly and reliably, zero dead or stuck pixels can be found in the slides. My conclusion is that this display was the pinnacle of plasma R&D and craftsmanship, and only now can the VT60 allegedly match it's blacks. Over four years have passed and now I'm considering the LG 55EA9800 55" OLED as a potential upgrade.

The vocal owners of LG 55EA9800 55" OLED on this forum all find a handful of dead or stuck subpixels, they all confirm uneven wearing from aspect ratios, distorted reflections when lights are on because of the curved screen, and yet they say that it's the best picture ever and that they can't imagine going back to anything prior to OLED.

The decision would be easier if I could actually view the LG OLED in person, but none of the dealers in town stock this display. Even our Best Buy Magnolia has a stock of zero, but it can be special ordered. I'm fine with the 55" size since it would comfortably fit my display table and speaker setup. The width of this 55" OLED is actually almost exactly the same as the 50" 101FD, because of the curve and thinner bezel.

Here's my setup btw. Its the same for the most part except for adding a 3rd sub from JL Audio and swapping out the DVR with a Roku 3 player.
Neo-Geo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
remush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The 2014 oleds are almost here, see how they perform during the shootout if you can wait a couple months, alteast you will have some more information before taking the plunge.
videobruce, herpderp and tubby497 like this.
remush is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
The V/ZT60 actually won't match the blacks your 101FD can achieve. I'd almost suggest trying your hand as a voltage/reset tweaker (see the main plasma forum for more info) before you replace with said OLED.

I'm also inclined to agree with remush and thus, none of the answers apply.
tgm1024 and tubby497 like this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The V/ZT60 actually won't match the blacks your 101FD can achieve. I'd almost suggest trying your hand as a voltage/reset tweaker (see the main plasma forum for more info) before you replace with said OLED.

I'm also inclined to agree with remush and thus, none of the answers apply.

Wowzers. That coming from an owner of both the ZT60 and LG OLED. Thanks for the advice. I should be happy to have such a future proof display, it's just that I was accustomed to upgrading TVs every couple of years when plasma was making solid advances. Since plasma has reached it's absolute apex over 4 years ago, I believe that OLED is now the best upgrade path, but this waiting game sure has drawn out longer than I imagined. Major Kudos to Pioneer for their Kuro, creating a display that remains reference quality for an eternity of tech years.
Neo-Geo is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Unless you have money to burn, I would wait a few years before ditching the pioneer. OLED is too new and 4K is coming out. In a couple of years the future should be much clearer than it is now.
tenthplanet and herpderp like this.
KidHorn is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 209

early adopter_
The relationship is synergistic, with the customer having early (and sometimes uniquely early) access to an advantageous new product or technology, but he also serves as a kind of Guinea pig .
8mile13 is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
tubby497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: La La Land
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Good things come to those who wait. wink.gif
herpderp likes this.

Pioneer KRP-500M (Tweaked) + Oppo BDP-103 + Mcintosh MX121/MC207/MPC1500
B&W 803D2/HTM2D/805D2 + JL Audio Fathom F112
tubby497 is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
and wait and wait and wait..................... mad.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
videobruce is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also have a 9.5 generation Kuro and I'm going wait 5 or 6 years for the 8k tvs to come out. smile.gif
Audio Karma is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post

I also have a 9.5 generation Kuro and I'm going wait 5 or 6 years for the 8k tvs to come out. smile.gif

Surely you jest. The display options we'll have in the year 2020 will be astounding and larger than life, but rofl @ the decade wait time. Most people can't stay in the same house/home that long, rarely drive the same car that long, and when it comes to videophiles, not upgrading their primary TV for 10 years would be unheard of. Though I can see being forced to wait perhaps another 3 or 4 years if OLED support fizzles out and we have to wait for LCD LED tech to surpass Plasma in motion, blacks, and color accuracy. Its no wonder that a used 101FD still fetch > $2k used on eBay. In fact, the most recent 101FD auction sold for $2,431 shipped and yet it was missing the stand, speakers and box!

For now, I'm doing my best to hold out for a flat OLED of 55" or greater. 4k isn't mandatory, nor is 3D, but would like a stand. I must say that LG shot themselves in the foot with the 55EA8800 design. Do they honestly think that a majority of cutting edge videophiles want a picture framed wall mounted art gallery? Sadly, this appears to be LG's ONLY flat OLED for 2014, all other models will be bent. They force you to pay for a frame, speakers, and don't give you an option for a stand (at least not in USA). Would love to see a large (55" or >), flat (non curved) OLED without speakers, no use of chrome in the frame or stand, preferably in black housing (even better in satin (non reflective)), with the stand already installed. The executive decision to release the 55EA8800 as the only flat screen OLED is akin to RIM's (Blackberry's) blunder to remove the mechanical keyboard from their current phone line-up.
Neo-Geo is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Member
 
bustmethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was in the same situation with the KRP-500M and went for the 55EA8800. For what it's worth, you can just use it without the sound frame. That's how I mounted it and it looked quite nice. The blacks and overall picture were pretty darn impressive. However I noticed a distinct screen door effect due to the sharpness of the WOLED pixels and space between them. So the Pioneer is back on the wall and the LG is on ebay...only 9 hours of use! Probably the best deal you will find on it if you care to look.
bustmethat is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Geez, sorry to hear that bustmethat, but thanks for trying the unit out for us. I had decided against OLED and now the plan is to wait until 3rd gen. Your eBay listing is the best deal around but I don't want to wall mount and don't want to deal with sourcing the right stand. Plus, I just ordered a pair of JL Gothams from a relatively local dealer this very morning, otherwise I may have reconsidered OLED.

The pair will be of the same production run, will have an upcoming manufacturing date within June 2014, and they will have sequential serial numbers. Dealer was out of state so was able to avoid sales tax, yet close enough (1 hour drive) to avoid a shipping expense since dealer will deliver and help with unboxing and setup. I imagine that the shipping cost on 800 lbs of subs would have been high for indoor delivery and setup if using a 3rd party carrier.

Anyways, you just gave me further motivation/confirmation to stick with Pioneer plasma for now. Thanks. Btw, your OLED looks great, would be perfect if it had a matching solid black stand.
Neo-Geo is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 06-06-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I would really wait until the 2014 models at the earliest as I frankly don't trust the LGs at all. I would also want a larger display than 55" that is flat. AFter living with a 50" I would think you would want at least 60". So a 65" plasma or OLED would be just about right. I have a 141 now and want my next move to be 75" flat OLED.
JWhip is online now  
post #14 of 22 Old 06-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post

Geez, sorry to hear that bustmethat, but thanks for trying the unit out for us. I had decided against OLED and now the plan is to wait until 3rd gen. Your eBay listing is the best deal around but I don't want to wall mount and don't want to deal with sourcing the right stand. Plus, I just ordered a pair of JL Gothams from a relatively local dealer this very morning, otherwise I may have reconsidered OLED.

The pair will be of the same production run, will have an upcoming manufacturing date within June 2014, and they will have sequential serial numbers. Dealer was out of state so was able to avoid sales tax, yet close enough (1 hour drive) to avoid a shipping expense since dealer will deliver and help with unboxing and setup. I imagine that the shipping cost on 800 lbs of subs would have been high for indoor delivery and setup if using a 3rd party carrier.

Anyways, you just gave me further motivation/confirmation to stick with Pioneer plasma for now. Thanks. Btw, your OLED looks great, would be perfect if it had a matching solid black stand.

I've replaced my Pioneer 5090 with a Panasonic ZT and Lumagen Radiance which after running in and the Lumagen's 40,000 colour point calibration is a lot better in all respects, including black levels.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 06-07-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Grats on the optimized ZT60. I'm a fan of it's specs, but the chrome bezel and stand are a turn off to me. Maybe it's not so much an issue with the lights off, but all black would have been best design IMHO. That use of chrome has saved me thousands in upgrade costs, that and the concern that 9.5 gen Pioneer may actually be capable of deeper blacks after a certain mod. Blacks seem ultra deep to me already so I'm not going to fix what isn't broken. Now the 65" viewable screen of the ZT60, that is quite desirable.
Neo-Geo is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 06-07-2014, 05:21 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
ZT60 has a lower limit of 0.0011 ftL. Your 500M should already be deeper than that stock-wise.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 06-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post

Grats on the optimized ZT60. I'm a fan of it's specs, but the chrome bezel and stand are a turn off to me. Maybe it's not so much an issue with the lights off, but all black would have been best design IMHO. That use of chrome has saved me thousands in upgrade costs, that and the concern that 9.5 gen Pioneer may actually be capable of deeper blacks after a certain mod. Blacks seem ultra deep to me already so I'm not going to fix what isn't broken. Now the 65" viewable screen of the ZT60, that is quite desirable.

The TX-P60ZT65B is a 60" screen in the UK. Maybe you guys can get a different size?

I agree about the chrome, All black for me every time, but it's not too noticeable in practice. It does handle motion much better than my 5090 and the picture has more detail and is cleaner and has better blacks. I do enjoy the larger screen as well.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Neo-Geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post

The TX-P60ZT65B is a 60" screen in the UK. Maybe you guys can get a different size?

Panasonic's ZT60 plasma series was manufactured in both 60" and 65" for USA and both are available on the secondary market.
RoyMacDonald likes this.
Neo-Geo is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
kyle454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NOR CAL
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustmethat View Post

I was in the same situation with the KRP-500M and went for the 55EA8800. For what it's worth, you can just use it without the sound frame. That's how I mounted it and it looked quite nice. The blacks and overall picture were pretty darn impressive. However I noticed a distinct screen door effect due to the sharpness of the WOLED pixels and space between them. So the Pioneer is back on the wall and the LG is on ebay...only 9 hours of use! Probably the best deal you will find on it if you care to look.

how far away were you from the tv when seeing this?
does it go away when you get further away from it?
kyle454 is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle454 View Post

how far away were you from the tv when seeing this?
does it go away when you get further away from it?

I could see it at 4 feet, (I do sit very close to my TV, hence my decision to by the ZT) but it does go away when you get further back.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
kyle454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NOR CAL
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post

I could see it at 4 feet, (I do sit very close to my TV, hence my decision to by the ZT) but it does go away when you get further back.

are you referring to the LG 55EA8800?
kyle454 is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle454 View Post

are you referring to the LG 55EA8800?

Yes I am.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off