New display technology? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://online.wsj.com/articles/new-chip-to-bring-holograms-to-smartphones-1401752938?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond

Here is an excerpt from the above link:

The Retina display on Apple Inc.'s iPhone, for example, has about 300 dots per inch, Ostendo's chips are at about 5,000 dots per inch.

Ostendo, which says it has several opportunities with major handset manufacturers, expects the first 2-D projector unit to be in the hands of consumers before the summer of 2015. With a lens attached, it will be less than 0.5 cubic centimeters, roughly the size of the camera in the iPhone. It also expects to begin manufacturing the second version of the chip, with 3-D capability, in the second half of 2015. The cost to the consumer should be about $30 a chip, Ostendo estimates.

Dr. El-Ghoroury said the company still needs to improve the 3-D product and is aiming to make the pixels even smaller to achieve higher resolution.

Ultimately, the larger vision is to have Ostendo's chips everywhere electronic displays are needed, whether it is a glasses-free 3-D television screen, a smartwatch, or tables that can project hologram-like images.

Has anyone heard of this? I wasn't sure where to post it, but the company appears to believe that their product will be capable of being used in flat panel TVs.

5,000 dots (pixels?) per inch sounds nice.

A search on the forums showed that the company currently makes a widescreen gaming monitor - for a price.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451309/ostendo-43-crvd-widescreen-gaming-monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Technically it doesn't sound like true holograms so why do they say it is in the title and other places in the article but in another place it says hologram-like? Aren't true holograms made with lasers?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-06-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Maybe 5000 dots per CUBIC inch? If we're talking holograms. Then it's only 17 dpi for planar inch.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-26-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is this even possible? I saw this news in several web pages, but none of them seems very reliable. If this is possible. why are they releasing it to cell phones and not for home theaters, or for other uses. It seems strange.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 105
This looks like it might be a viable replacement for DLP projection if they can figure out how to get more light output. I wonder if it also uses sequential color or if it's rainbow free.

Old review from 2010:

post #6 of 12 Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
This looks like it might be a viable replacement for DLP projection if they can figure out how to get more light output. I wonder if it also uses sequential color or if it's rainbow free.

Old review from 2010:

http://youtu.be/wmadaLeHhJc
This review talks about their screen, not about the hologram projector.

Here is one video about it, but it looks nothing like an hologram.

Last edited by CARTmen; 06-27-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 PM

I don't know much about holograms so I have a question. With 3D in TVs or projectors, you can have a big sense of depth (you can see far "inside" your screen or the wall behind it), but for what I understand, with holograms the depth of the image can't be bigger than the distance to the wall (you can't have depth "inside" the wall), right?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

This sounds very similar to what Nvidia was working on:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/08/01/display/
post #9 of 12 Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i think so,This review talks about their screen, not about the hologram projector.thanks for your sharing
post #10 of 12 Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 PM

There are a lot of mixed information on the web. Some pages say the holographic projector will be released in 2015, others say they still have to solve some problems with the holographic chip, and others say 2016. So IMO the 2D projector can be released in 2015, because it's not such a big breakthrough (we already have very small projectors), but I don't believe that the holographic one can be seen in the market until 2020.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-01-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
There are a lot of mixed information on the web. Some pages say the holographic projector will be released in 2015, others say they still have to solve some problems with the holographic chip, and others say 2016. So IMO the 2D projector can be released in 2015, because it's not such a big breakthrough (we already have very small projectors), but I don't believe that the holographic one can be seen in the market until 2020.
What's the point of a holographic projector? Where will you get fully 3d content to display on it? Sounds more like a toy for the simulation/scientific community.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
What's the point of a holographic projector? Where will you get fully 3d content to display on it? Sounds more like a toy for the simulation/scientific community.
At this moment the point seems to be that you could have a giant 3D screen projected in the air, without any surface, and that fits in your pocket. Other pros are the low price, the better definition, and the fact that you don't need to have a large surface in your home to project the image.
But as I told here before, this hologram technology seems hard to believe, at least for me.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page