Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw Samsung UN55HU8500AF 4K today..

Was in Costco today, and saw a Samsung UN55HU8500AF tv on display. At first I was awed by the picture. But with less than a minute of watching, I saw these spots come and go that was what I would consider pixelating, although it looked different than typical pixelating.

I'm guessing it is what they commonly refer to as motion blur, or jittering.

I was so disappointed.

I'll be moving away from an Epson 5010e projector (onto a 92" screen) when I move to a new home soon. Wanting to get a good size, minimum 75", maybe up to 90...but likely less...tv with, of course, a great picture. The first 15 seconds of watching, I thought I found it. But I couldn't live with that motion blur. Yuk.

Last edited by Ewingr; 07-10-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
Was in Costco today, and saw a Samsung UN55HU8500AF tv on display. At first I was awed by the picture. But with less than a minute of watching, I saw these spots come and go that was what I would consider pixelating, although it looked different than typical pixelating.

I was so disappointed.

I'll be moving away from an Epson 5010e projector (onto a 92" screen) when I move to a new home soon. Wanting to get a good size, minimum 75", maybe up to 90...but likely less...tv with, of course, a great picture. The first 15 seconds of watching, I thought I found it. But I couldn't live with that motion blur. Yuk.
It is a pretty simple fix. Blur reduction to 10, judder to 0, clear motion off. A lot of those TVs at Costco, Sam's, etc aren't calibrated well and they leave some things on the shouldn't be (and vice versa). I have the un65f9000 which is pretty comparable and I have never seen pixelation.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Quote:

I was so disappointed.

It is a pretty simple fix. Blur reduction to 10, judder to 0, clear motion off. A lot of those TVs at Costco, Sam's, etc aren't calibrated well and they leave some things on the shouldn't be (and vice versa). I have the un65f9000 which is pretty comparable and I have never seen pixelation.
9000, is that the curved one?

I saw a review of the curved one on Amazon, and the guy said it had the same issues. I was thinking he said he had made the settings. I'll have to look that one up again.

It's good to hear someone that it's working good for. May have to check then out further.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was so disappointed.

I saw a review of the curved one on Amazon, and the guy said it had the same issues. I was thinking he said he had made the settings. I'll have to look that one up again.

It's good to hear someone that it's working good for. May have to check then out further.
No, the F9000 is the 2013 4k model but it is upgradeable to 2014 model features via a UHD Evolution Kit. I really didn't care for the curve so I bought last year's flat model for like 1400.00 less. Check out the HU8550 and HU9000 official thread on here to research.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was so disappointed.

No, the F9000 is the 2013 4k model but it is upgradeable to 2014 model features via a UHD Evolution Kit. I really didn't care for the curve so I bought last year's flat model for like 1400.00 less. Check out the HU8550 and HU9000 official thread on here to research.
Thanks. I'll check out those threads.

Another thing I read about the curved ones is that they have a poorer picture from the side, rather than better.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=sikclown;24993130]
Quote:
...No, the F9000 is the 2013 4k model but it is upgradeable to 2014 model features via a UHD Evolution Kit. I really didn't care for the curve so I e bought last year's flat model for like 1400.00 less. Check out the HU8550 and HU9000 official thread on here to research.
Just went through the thread you mentioned on the 9000. Interestingly,l I can't find any threads on the HU8550. Also searched on F9000, and didn't find any topic thread on that either.

I'd be fine with betting something a bit older and saving the $. Do they make anything in the F9000 series larger than 65"? I'm guessing not, as I can't find it via Google.

I did find the curved one in 78". It is quite pricey. I did also find the UN75HU8550, which is more reasonable, and would likely be the choice for me, although I need to research if I should be satisfied with 120hz over 240.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

post #8 of 10 Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=Ewingr;24995538]
Quote:
Quote:
...No, the F9000 is the 2013 4k model but it is upgradeable to 2014 model features via a UHD Evolution Kit. I really didn't care for the curve so I e bought last year's flat model for like 1400.00 less. Check out the HU8550 and HU9000 official thread on here to research.
Just went through the thread you mentioned on the 9000. Interestingly,l I can't find any threads on the HU8550. Also searched on F9000, and didn't find any topic thread on that either.

I'd be fine with betting something a bit older and saving the $. Do they make anything in the F9000 series larger than 65"? I'm guessing not, as I can't find it via Google.

I did find the curved one in 78". It is quite pricey. I did also find the UN75HU8550, which is more reasonable, and would likely be the choice for me, although I need to research if I should be satisfied with 120hz over 240.
No, unfortunately they only make the F9000 in 55 and 65. Great TV!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well,find the curved one in 78". It is quite pricey. I did also find the UN75HU8550, which is more reasonable, and would likely be the choice for me, although I need to research if I should be satisfied with 120hz over 240.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindthcameb View Post
... although I need to research if I should be satisfied with 120hz over 240.

Post back your thoughts on that.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page