Samsung denied warranty on my KN55S9C 55 inch OLED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung denied warranty on my KN55S9C 55 inch OLED

I found weird spot on my Samsung KN55S9C after one or two month.There is no physical damage on my TV. After taking pictures and submitted for RMA, Samsung denied my RMA due to physical damage while technician said only smooth surface on TV screen and there is no physical damage on screen.

Update 1 (07/03/2014): Samsung denied warranty again and they claimed that i caused issues on TV and they won't hold any responsible for $3000 screen.
Do you guys see any physical damage on my TV?

Last edited by kasuza; 07-03-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Not surprised. They denied my Blu-ray warranty due to "insufficient packaging." I also had a fridge that broke 2 weeks before the warranty expired. They replaced most of the defrost unit and the fridge worked for another month and the defrost broke again. Samsung basically said good luck you're on your own.

From what I've leaned dealing with such a horrific company is I would take it back to the store if possible or possibly see if your credit card company (if you paid with CC) can help you out as a last resort.

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #3 of 33 Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

I purchased another Samsung TV on my birthday - UN65HU9000. I got broken screen on my Samsung TV again but inside TV screen. Samsung technician inspected TV and see no physical damage on outside TV screen. Again, they denied my warranty due to physical damage on outside screen based pics from Samsung technician. I returned to the stores immediately and waiting to purchase new LG OLED. I switched all my Samsung cellphones, TV, and applicant to LG or Sony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0693.jpg (106.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0694.jpg (58.0 KB, 71 views)
post #4 of 33 Old 06-20-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Brutally burned my Samdung...their reign at #1 can't come to an end soon enough.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-21-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Samsung's warranty handling is like the worst in the industry. And I swear the strangest problems crop up on their TVs. I love our F5300 and F8500, but god forbid anything ever goes wrong with them
post #6 of 33 Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

If these damages or defect were my fault, i am very happy to pay from my pocket to get repair. I hate to send defective TV back to local store because they are not at fault for inferiors product and poor QC. Samsung field technician inspected that there is no physical damage on my TV and finger test on TV screen. I don't know why Samsung denied my warranty and claimed i caused these physical damage on TV.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-21-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuza View Post
If these damages or defect were my fault, i am very happy to pay from my pocket to get repair. I hate to send defective TV back to local store because they are not at fault for inferiors product and poor QC. Samsung field technician inspected that there is no physical damage on my TV and finger test on TV screen. I don't know why Samsung denied my warranty and claimed i caused these physical damage on TV.
Yes but the retailer has more influence than you do generally and has a stronger interest in you as a customer. I always return to the retailer rather than deal with the manufacturer.

post #8 of 33 Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Yes but the retailer has more influence than you do generally and has a stronger interest in you as a customer. I always return to the retailer rather than deal with the manufacturer.
Yes! I returned my HU9000 back to Magnolia Home Theater and get full refund from them. They was disappointed when Samsung denied my warranty. My friends and many people online said that there is no physical damage on TV based on pictures. They only see weird spot on TV and no indication of physical damage on screen. How could Samsung said physical damage on my TV screen?
post #9 of 33 Old 06-21-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Because it's easy.

post #10 of 33 Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Don't give up yet. Take more pictures angles and video too. Keep on them. Ask for higher tier service employee.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-22-2014, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
Don't give up yet. Take more pictures angles and video too. Keep on them. Ask for higher tier service employee.
I asked for another Samsung field technician to investigate again and get his comment on my TV about physical damage. I probably asked him to take dozen pics and his comment on Samsung Service report.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 170
That's terrible. Are the spots noticeable when viewing? Or do they only show when the TV is off?
post #13 of 33 Old 06-24-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
That's terrible. Are the spots noticeable when viewing? Or do they only show when the TV is off?
Luckily, the spot only show off when TV is off. Samsung argued with me that spot is due to physical damage. I asked them show me proof of physical damage on screen. How am i responsible for something behind TV screen? Samsung have no answer for it and they refused to fixed my TV screen.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-25-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Luckily, the spot only show off when TV is off. Samsung argued with me that spot is due to physical damage. I asked them show me proof of physical damage on screen. How am i responsible for something behind TV screen? Samsung have no answer for it and they refused to fixed my TV screen.
I'm not sure they can fix your screen. It was reported that there are no replacement screens available at all since they only produced a few of these OLED prototypes. The best they could do for you is refund your purchase price or offer an alternative LCD set.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I'm not sure they can fix your screen. It was reported that there are no replacement screens available at all since they only produced a few of these OLED prototypes. The best they could do for you is refund your purchase price or offer an alternative LCD set.
Reading about these I fortunate problems makes me REALLY nervous, especially knowing that there's no way to replace these screens if something goes wrong. So far my TV is ok, I just pray it stays that way. :/
post #16 of 33 Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just return it to the store and let them deal with samsung. If they have no more screens then they will give you a refund or another choice of a tv.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
Just return it to the store and let them deal with samsung. If they have no more screens then they will give you a refund or another choice of a tv.
I cannot return TV back to amazon because i purchased TV two months ago. Right now, i only have one option is getting replacement screen from Samsung.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
wow, so this is all telling me not to buy a Samsung anything going forward. If a company thinks it deserves a positive reputation and the sales success that would follow, they have to treat their customers with a minimum level of respect AND THEN GO FURTHER to make their experience a postive one. At the very very least, when it's your fault, you own up to it. I've found in my own business that if you treat the customers right, they reward you because they become advocates for your brand. It's very simple and always works (assuming good business sense in other areas). When Sony's SXRD (XBR2) optical blocks started going bad en masse, and they didn't do anything but the minimum (leaving all us lower hours/day users out in the cold) with their warranty extension, I decided I would never again patronize them. Same with EA when they started getting sneaky about marketing and release crappy PC game products (eg, Battlefield after BF2142). And I tell my friends these things. Reap what you sow, jerks executives

Just when I have a lot of disposable income too!
post #19 of 33 Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Samsung is coasting on their past reputation alone. But it's catching up to them fast and hopefully they will be gone in the next few years.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Looks like screen damage caused by too much sunlight. The screen is way too gray for a normal room.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I cannot return TV back to amazon because i purchased TV two months ago. Right now, i only have one option is getting replacement screen from Samsung.
Was this tv an amazon warehouse deal Or was it brand new?

If it was an amazon warehouse deal returned by someone. They may have seen this spot. You said you had bought the tv 2 months ago and this spot happened 1 or 2 months ago.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If the field service technician is stating that there is no obvious damage to the physical screen, then how can Samsung possibly be denying your warranty claim. Now, I'm not sure with OLED if is possible to bump the screen, damage the sub-layer, but not actually crack the front plastic/glass. I've seen this on LCDs, where they took a hit but the screen itself was fine but the actual pixels behind the front pane actually burst/broke.

Another possibility (familiar to those of us who had Panasonic ZT plasmas that "delaminated." I'm was one of the fortunate few) judging by the picture you posted is that this could be some some of peeling/delamination of the anti-glare coating behind the front pane of glass/plastic. If you could post a better picture of the damage, we might be able to see if this is a film that is bubbled behind or on the front of your screen.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Samsung contacted me this afternoon and agree to send me replacement panels for my KN55S9C for no cost. They also agree to fixed my 65" HU9000 broken panels on Monday for no-cost too.
SiGGy likes this.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
Sounds like that would make sense. I spent an hour 1 day going up those Samsung tiers trying to get them to fix my capacitor problem that was just outside of the class action window. 3 service techs were nice and kept moving me up. When I got to the top level she was cold, quick, and matter of fact, " no dice".
post #25 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Samsung contacted me this afternoon and agree to send me replacement panels for my KN55S9C for no cost. They also agree to fixed my 65" HU9000 broken panels on Monday for no-cost too.
Great a news, I have never seen the Samsung OLED but I have read it is amazing.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
Samsung's warranty handling is like the worst in the industry. And I swear the strangest problems crop up on their TVs. I love our F5300 and F8500, but god forbid anything ever goes wrong with them
I had a frustrating experience with Samsung service last week, and it was on my second F5300 (I exchanged the first one). I agree, great PQ but not so great service. I was in Best Buy today, talking to a manager, as well as a couple TV sales guys and they all agreed that Samsung service left something to be desired. Of course they recommended getting Geek Squad protection "if you're going to buy a Samsung." But the message was clear enough—you roll the dice if you call for service from the manufacturer, because the person who shows up probably doesn;t work for Samsung, they probably work for a local repair service, and they also fix dishwashers and stoves.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #27 of 33 Old 06-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
^I have the benefit of having a TV repair facility in the county in which I live who exclusively do TVs. In fact, they replaced the panel on my LG OLED (dead pixels) and installed the fan foam fix on my ZT60 (not on the same visit of course). I helped on the latter repair (because of the sheer size and weight of the tV and the fact that he didn't bring a helper on said occasion), but I'm pretty happy with the work provided (my own ill-preparedness in not laying down a sheet on the floor before his arrival as a contingency measure not withstanding ). The LG service experience was great...and Panasonic was fair/good.
post #28 of 33 Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That's good to hear. Let us know how the service repairs goes.

And yikes another tv too
post #29 of 33 Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
Sounds like that would make sense. I spent an hour 1 day going up those Samsung tiers trying to get them to fix my capacitor problem that was just outside of the class action window. 3 service techs were nice and kept moving me up. When I got to the top level she was cold, quick, and matter of fact, " no dice".
That's a bummer. More of an apples to oranges comparison though. Outside of the window verses inside warranty window.
post #30 of 33 Old 07-03-2014, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Samsung technician quotes me that OLED screen costs $3000 . At least, they told me that i am not responsible or pay for OLED screen.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page