UN75HU8550-> Be around for a while? or Order now? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-10-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
UN75HU8550-> Be around for a while? or Order now?

I've decided I'd like to get the Samsung 75" flat UHD tv.

From a little research i've done, it seems that using Eastcoasttvs is controversial with members here. I've seen lots of good reviews during research, but then, plenty of not so good as well.

That beeing said, the price at the moment is 1700 less than at Costco, and seems a risk worth taking.

I'm really in no hurry for the TV, in fact maybe by 3-4 months. Don't really need it until I move later in the year.

But I don't want the 78" curved unit, especially for 8K.

My understanding is the 8550 is a 2013 model, and the 9000 is the 2014 model, which leaves me thinking a couple things: The 8550 will come down more, but then being last years model, may become unavailable. What are your thougts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm also planning on buying this TV when my basement is finished in October. I'm banking on the price dropping from the current ~$6000 to something closer to $4000 by then.... which might be a pipe dream!

I haven't seen whether or not there will be a non-curved replacement for the 8550. It likely wouldn't be announced until CES in January anyway, so unless you're willing to wait until then you may as well jump on the 8550 whenever its price drops to a level you're comfortable with...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #3 of 25 Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I heard last night that the 8550 is not a '13 model, but a '14 model. I had been under the impression, apparently incorrectly, that the flat was the previous year of the curved.

I don't want the curved, and was concerned that the flat may become hard to find if I wait a while. I too would like to see it in the 4K range.

That being said, with a 2% sale they were having, and adding sales tax savings, if I ordered it from the vendor in my initial post, I would have been around 4.7K.

I have decided to hold off for a while and see if/when it comes down.
post #4 of 25 Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just ordered this set from Paul's TV for a bit more than EC, but, with white glove and a year ext warranty from a MUCH more reputable company. PM me if you want the details.

World's first remote-controlled golf hole ball ejector

http://www.albatoss.net
post #5 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
good, white glove and a year ext warranty from a MUCH more reputable company. PM me if you want the details.thanks[IMG]http://*******/WNKpGN[/IMG]
post #6 of 25 Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post
I just ordered this set from Paul's TV for a bit more than EC, but, with white glove and a year ext warranty from a MUCH more reputable company. PM me if you want the details.
I've read pretty good things about them.

But one thing I noticed, reading their site,they have the very same return policy as ECTV. Mut open and test when delivered. Curious if you did that, and if the delivery driver was patient.
post #7 of 25 Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post

But one thing I noticed, reading their site,they have the very same return policy as ECTV. Mut open and test when delivered. Curious if you did that, and if the delivery driver was patient.
Tues delivery.

post #8 of 25 Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey Guys - what's the deal with ECTVs - is it just the return policy? Or is there something more serious .... I've read the reviews and they are alot better than a couple of years ago. They seem to have improved their rep. The prices are really amazing. So what's the skinny????

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #9 of 25 Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My delivery went well. The guys were cool and they even offered to put it on the stand. What I like about Paul's is that if you don't like the set then you just pay $100 return shipping and as long as you get another set from them you don't pay a restocking fee. The set is very nice, though, I am concerned about some clouding/backlight bleed that I'm trying to rub out.

post #10 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post
Hey Guys - what's the deal with ECTVs - is it just the return policy? Or is there something more serious .... I've read the reviews and they are alot better than a couple of years ago. They seem to have improved their rep. The prices are really amazing. So what's the skinny????

Are either Paul's or ECTV Samsung Authorized Resellers? And if not, what does that end up meaning?
post #11 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Samsung's website says paulstv.com is: http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...resellers.html

As does paulstv.com: "Paul's TV is proud to be the authorized dealer of all of the premium brand televisions such as Samsung, LG..." http://www.paulstv.com/televisions

East Coast TV is definitely NOT an authorized reseller...

As for what that means, I think it boils down to the 1-yr Samsung manufacturer warranty. With an authorized reseller, Samsung will absolutely service the TV within the 1-yr warranty period. For a non-authorized reseller, Samsung is not bound to honor any warranty. That said, anecdotal evidence suggests that Samsung will still honor the warranty. Buyer beware though...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #12 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Samsung's website says paulstv.com is: http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...resellers.html

As does paulstv.com: "Paul's TV is proud to be the authorized dealer of all of the premium brand televisions such as Samsung, LG..." http://www.paulstv.com/televisions

East Coast TV is definitely NOT an authorized reseller...

As for what that means, I think it boils down to the 1-yr Samsung manufacturer warranty. With an authorized reseller, Samsung will absolutely service the TV within the 1-yr warranty period. For a non-authorized reseller, Samsung is not bound to honor any warranty. That said, anecdotal evidence suggests that Samsung will still honor the warranty. Buyer beware though...

Thanks. No warranty would be a pretty significant difference but if you purchase a warranty from a 3rd party like Square Trade, can you more or less get to the same peace of mind?

The difference in price on the UN75HU8550 between Paul's and ECTV is $1300 (24%) which seems like it would go a long way towards purchasing a good warranty...
post #13 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 299
East Coast TVs and others like them post the lowest price online. Then once you order they hit you with "necessary upgrades" such as White Glove delivery and Shipping Insurance in order for them to even ship the TV.They will also try and nickel and dime you on other "upgrades". Or sites like Abe's of Maine who do the bait and switch by advertising a lower price and then calling claiming that price is for a non-US model or some other BS. It seems to be mostly New Jersey based companies that do this with a few exceptions. They advertise the lowest to drive you to their sites and push sales. Your mileage may vary but personally I pay more and buy from an authorized Samsung Dealer.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #14 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My delivery went well. The guys were cool and they even offered to put it on the stand. What I like about Paul's is that if you don't like the set then you just pay $100 return shipping and as long as you get another set from them you don't pay a restocking fee. The set is very nice, though, I am concerned about some clouding/backlight bleed that I'm trying to rub out.
I could not get backlight bleed out of the four corners of my UN75HU8550 and therefore I would not recommend this TV and will be returning it.

post #15 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I could not get backlight bleed out of the four corners of my UN75HU8550 and therefore I would not recommend this TV and will be returning it.

That set is edge-lit, right?

What are you thinking about trying out next?
post #16 of 25 Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
That set is edge-lit, right?
What are you thinking about trying out next?
Yes, edge lit. I'm going to navigate the TV return process and then target the LG 65" OLED due next month.

post #17 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. Just curious, did you check in the dedicated thread to this TV to see if anyone had any thoughts?
post #18 of 25 Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 99
My not call Cleveland Plasma who is a sponsor of this forum and see what Chris can do for you.

m

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #19 of 25 Old 08-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting. Just curious, did you check in the dedicated thread to this TV to see if anyone had any thoughts?
Yes, thx, this is not a solve-able issue. I am in return process with Paul's (btw, AAA customer support from this company!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Why not call Cleveland Plasma who is a sponsor of this forum and see what Chris can do for you?
Already pre-ordered 65" LG OLED with Chris, thx.

post #20 of 25 Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Yes, thx, this is not a solve-able issue. I am in return process with Paul's (btw, AAA customer support from this company!)

Already pre-ordered 65" LG OLED with Chris, thx.
Excellent.

We have got to support the sponsors who help support this great forum

I was hoping for the 77" but I think it is going to be way too much. My next size would be the 65"

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #21 of 25 Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Thanks. No warranty would be a pretty significant difference but if you purchase a warranty from a 3rd party like Square Trade, can you more or less get to the same peace of mind?

The difference in price on the UN75HU8550 between Paul's and ECTV is $1300 (24%) which seems like it would go a long way towards purchasing a good warranty...

Guys, never go through East Coast.

I got my beautiful HU8550 panel through Crutchfield last week. I've make tons of purchases with them (car equipment and A/V orders) and they honor way beyond all manufacturers warranties. If it's a reasonable request, they will honor it, too. Plus they will have no tax and no shipping AND pay for shipping on returns.

Even if the price is a few $$ more, use Crutchfield, plus they are an AUTHORIZED on-line dealer, unlike East Coast or others.
post #22 of 25 Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've bought TV's from Abe's of Maine, 6 ave electronics and others. I have never had a problem. Just make sure the company has plenty of reviews and they are good. East Coast has a ton of reviews on Google and they have 4.5 stars. I would feel comfortable buying from them. In fact they have some great prices on Sammy's and I may buy from them.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
Guys, never go through East Coast.

I got my beautiful HU8550 panel through Crutchfield last week. I've make tons of purchases with them (car equipment and A/V orders) and they honor way beyond all manufacturers warranties. If it's a reasonable request, they will honor it, too. Plus they will have no tax and no shipping AND pay for shipping on returns.

Even if the price is a few $$ more, use Crutchfield, plus they are an AUTHORIZED on-line dealer, unlike East Coast or others.

No offense, man, but Crutchfield's price on the UN75HU8550 is like 40% higher than ECTV's. That savings would cover a hell of a lot of taxes and shipping (and then some).
post #24 of 25 Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
My understanding is the 8550 is a 2013 model, and the 9000 is the 2014 model, which leaves me thinking a couple things: The 8550 will come down more, but then being last years model, may become unavailable. What are your thougts?
My thought are, I am sorry you received the wrong info. The 8550 and 9000 are both 2014-2015 models and will not be discontinued till next March / April 2015 . The 8550 and 9000 are "primarily" edge lit TV's. They both behave like an edge lit TV. A lot of play on words about FALD sets these days........
fafrd likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 08-17-2014 at 08:46 PM.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Yeah...I learned that a bit ago. Good to know.

I'll probably give you guys a call to check on pricing when I get ready to purchase.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread - UN75HU8550- by PriceGrabber.com