Need help please!!! Samsung f8500 65" plasma ...what to do!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation Need help please!!! Samsung f8500 65" plasma ...what to do!!!

Hello Everyone,

Need input from everyone. I've owned a 65" Samsung F8500 series plasma since August, 2013. I love the tv but hate the issues I'm having. The Geek Squad has been to my home now 6 times and have repaired it 3 times already because when I press power nothing happens and the little read light on the front flashes and that's it. They have replaced the motherboard, logic board, power supply and wireless card and most recently and small white pin type cable that they said is known to be defective. The problem initially started with it not turning on once in a great while then after a repair it was once or twice a month, after this last repair, I have all of a sudden not been able to turn it on AT ALL! We just got back from vacation this past Sunday 7/13 and since then I've been trying to turn it on and no luck! I have already contacted Best Buy who said they will refund me the full amount for my TV minus the $499 warranty I purchased for 4 years. I've also contacted Samsung and they said they will possibly do something but I need to send in my receipt and all repair orders. I only have one repair order so I had to contact geek squad and it will take up to 3 days to send that to me!!!

So in the mean time I'm left thinking WHAT DO I DO!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help! I like the TV I really don't want to repair it AGAIN and then have it go out AGAIN and my luck after the 4 year warranty is up, it just might give out completely! I'm scared to have so much money into this TV and it go out after a short while!

Sooooooooooo on that note...do I bite the bullet and pay an extra $100-300 and get a 4k TV? or do I get another F8500 plasma? I've read the positive and negatives of the 4k but I'm still lost.

My current TV is Wall mounted above our Fireplace with the center of the screen being at about 6' ft. up and the tv is tilted to where we sit on the couches in our well lit living room. We sit about 15' ft. away from the TV. I've read articles stating that there is a max distance to get UHD's benefits which was about half the distance I sit at or less.

So again help please.....do I just repair and keep my fingers crossed or go UHD? The $ difference isn't a issue at this time.

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I would take the refund and try to get the last of the Samsung 65F8500 before they stop making them. Then get a Costco warranty on it. If you are a plasma fan it is hard to give up the black levels, viewing angles and motion control. If you need to replace the new Samsung in a few years at least there maybe flat 65" 4K OLED sets that will be some what affordable.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 174
i would get another one, hopefully its not a lemon like your prior one
post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting so you guys would give it another go ehh....?? BTW this will be my 2nd Samsung I've replaced my first one was the 8000 series 63" from 2013 that had a purple haze issue....I'm really not feeling it........are the blacks on the 4k Tv's really that bad?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Also was thinking since I have a call into the "Office Of the President" of Samsung USA and this is my 2nd Samsung Plasma to go bad, Best Buy says they will replace it, however I have to buy that warranty again if I want it.

I emailed my receipt and all trouble tickets that I've had with Geek Squad over to Samsung today.

Now what would you do IF:

1.) Samsung Offered to take my F8500 tv back and replace it with a new Samsung UN65HU9000FXZA or Samsung UN65HU8700FXZA at no extra cost to me? I originally paid $2899.00 for my F8500. Not likely that this will happen. But let's say they do offer this.... should I take it? Or what would you guys do or say??

Thanks!

Last edited by MikeyD77; 07-16-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology
Gear in this thread - f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page