The wait for flat LG 4K OLED sreens. Coping and speculation. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Of course you could continue to wait for that elusive, flat screen OLED, and run the risk of LG deciding this OLED thing isn't working out from a profitability standpoint. Their departure from OLED is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

It wouldn't be the first time a better tech folded up shop and went home.
and that would be the time to buy one

oh...reminders of the Sharp Elite LED at 75% off MSRP....

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Cant wait for first user reviews on this one.I feel this is the real Oled we have been waiting for.

Matt
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinsoog View Post
So surely like many of you, I'm very impatiently waiting for the LG 65" 4K OLED screens to come out. I cannot explain to you how ready I am for this TV, and have been holding off on upgrading my TV for quite a long time waiting for it. Of course I am thoroughly sold on the impact of perfect black and the importance of contrast, and it's the element I'm often so preoccupied with on so much of the content most important to me.

Of course, the splinter in my mind is that curve... I've virtually no interest in having a curved version of this like many of you, because I'm not sold on the marketing of TV form-factor vanity and related drivel, so it becomes a matter of "is my frothing desire for this TV enough that I can accept the curve, or do I endure a wait for however long for what I hope is an inevitable flat screen version..."

So, for the same reason that the price speculation thread exists, I'm just interested in thoughts about when we can expect this to happen, or if some of you have found ways to cope with the fact that our next-gen super TV, so close to fulfilling everything many of us have been wanting for so long, has a slight-yet-unfortunate curve, taunting you for the sake of a silly marketing message, heh.

So I guess what we de know is that LG first released the 1080p OLED screens at somewhere near this time period last year, and it took them until sometime the next spring to give us the flat "Gallery" version. My hope is that we don't have to wait even that long, or if we do have to wait, then hopefully we wouldn't have to wait longer than that this time, but I guess that's what is murky. It seems they know who wants the flat ones, and are selling the flat versions at a slight premium of the curved ones, which I'm at peace with just as long as we don't have to wait forever. Ultimately I guess there is a small advantage in waiting for this, since the prices will have likely come down in general to being pretty approachable for those wanting the best, even with an added premium for flat. I'm just about done with all of this waiting though, so my acceptable price range is pretty wide at this point.

Thoughts?
Flat model can only be wall mounted.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Cant wait for first user reviews on this one.I feel this is the real Oled we have been waiting for.
It does seem like it. Finally, large format at 65" and 77". No offense to any 55" owners, but I think 65" is the new minimum for a "home theater" type display. Also, we get 4K resolution and native 10 bit. Improved brightness and better motion handling. The only things that could make it better if it was flat and $2500.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Not offended in the least (especially since a home theater and a bedroom don't necessarily mix). That said, I know what I have is a real OLED as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
I'd love to know the idiot execs at LG and Samsung who decided that people wanted curved screens in the first place. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

At the very least, they could've offered both curved and flat versions of the same model, then waited to see which sold better.
Their sales strategy isn't aimed at the people who frequent this forum. It's aimed at the masses who will buy something just because it is different. People see a curved screen and assume it's the next new age thing to have. Or they went to an IMAX screen one time and just assume that curved is better regardless of the size.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Location: South Jersey, about 20 minutes from Center City Philadelphia
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question 65" 4K radius question

Does anyone know the radius of the arc they use for the curved 65" screens?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCOMData View Post
Does anyone know the radius of the arc they use for the curved 65" screens?
Yes, would love to find this out as well, I don't think most people would care if it was a slight curve like the new Sony curved lcd

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-un...-curved-4k-tvs

Last edited by remush; 08-06-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm thinking I might be making peace with the idea of a very slight curve as well, but I'm thinking of waiting until CES in early January to see if there is any word of a flat one. So here's a question: Do you guys think that there is a pretty high chance of LG announcing a flat version as early as CES 2015? The painful part may end up being that if they do mention it, it may not be releasing as soon as we hope or whatever else. I know they were showing off the flat "Gallery" OLED at CES 2014, so I want to believe that it's pretty likely that they'll have large 4K versions this year.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have any idea of cost for this when it comes out?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
Does anyone have any idea of cost for this when it comes out?

So if you are just talking about the flat ones, if LG is consistent with what they are doing now, there will be a price premium for the flat versions of $500 -$1,000 over the curved version. But as LG gets more aggressive about using their advantage with OLED to position them more prominently in the market, they are probably going to behave less and less consistent with what happened before. You might take a peek at the price speculation thread, and based on that it seems realistic to expect the curved 65" 4K OLED screens to start entering the territory of $5,000 by the end of the year. If we are lucky enough that they release the flat version in early spring or sooner, perhaps we can hope to definitely be at $5,000 or perhaps even lower, and then I bet it'll still have a premium and priced at like $5,500, but LG seems committed to drive these prices down even more, so who knows.

So now you're caught in this web of waiting while we're dependent on LG to make our perfect screen even more perfect in a flat version, and so I think now the most pressing question is when the flat version of the large 4K OLED screens will be announced, and that's anyone's guess, but HD flat OLED screens were shown at CES last January, so I'm really hoping they show flat 4K OLED screens at this upcoming CES in early January. But who knows...
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So if you are just talking about the flat ones, if LG is consistent with what they are doing now, there will be a price premium for the flat versions of $500 -$1,000 over the curved version. But as LG gets more aggressive about using their advantage with OLED to position them more prominently in the market, they are probably going to behave less and less consistent with what happened before. You might take a peek at the price speculation thread, and based on that it seems realistic to expect the curved 65" 4K OLED screens to start entering the territory of $5,000 by the end of the year. If we are lucky enough that they release the flat version in early spring or sooner, perhaps we can hope to definitely be at $5,000 or perhaps even lower, and then I bet it'll still have a premium and priced at like $5,500, but LG seems committed to drive these prices down even more, so who knows.

So now you're caught in this web of waiting while we're dependent on LG to make our perfect screen even more perfect in a flat version, and so I think now the most pressing question is when the flat version of the large 4K OLED screens will be announced, and that's anyone's guess, but HD flat OLED screens were shown at CES last January, so I'm really hoping they show flat 4K OLED screens at this upcoming CES in early January. But who knows...
Thank you Hinsoog!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
I'm thinking I might be making peace with the idea of a very slight curve as well, but I'm thinking of waiting until CES in early January to see if there is any word of a flat one. So here's a question: Do you guys think that there is a pretty high chance of LG announcing a flat version as early as CES 2015? The painful part may end up being that if they do mention it, it may not be releasing as soon as we hope or whatever else. I know they were showing off the flat "Gallery" OLED at CES 2014, so I want to believe that it's pretty likely that they'll have large 4K versions this year.
FWIW, I do expect LG to show more flat screen OLED's at CES. The question is when they might get released. If they are Gen 3 models, we probably wont see them until the 2nd half of 2015.
fafrd likes this.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I am buying a new home and move in about 10 days from now. I do not think I am going to be able to wait and need to find a great looking 70-80 inch that can ship in the next week or so...
Old 08-09-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have to say, I feel especially bad for the people in situations where there is a pressing need for a TV that can't really wait and who are trying to put together their perfect home theatres now who are prepared to pay for the best, because as far as getting the best goes, we are completely dependent on LG and whether or not they really do this justice. We were almost perfectly lucky really, because outside of the curve, LG seems to really be taking advantage of the situation well by giving us truly great screens and at prices that are now within reach. But, there is still that ridiculous curve and waiting.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

I would buy a curved one over a flat one if it's cheaper. The "immersion" they claimed I only notice very slightly if I view it up front really close but even if curved TV has some distortion, I personally think it isn't worth $500-1000 just to get rid of the curve.

Also some people don't even notice the curve that much.
fafrd and Hinsoog like this.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128k View Post
I would buy a curved one over a flat one if it's cheaper. The "immersion" they claimed I only notice very slightly if I view it up front really close but even if curved TV has some distortion, I personally think it isn't worth $500-1000 just to get rid of the curve.

Also some people don't even notice the curve that much.

If a flat one were available the same day as the curved one, but at close to a $500 premium, I would spring for the flat one, but add in all of the waiting, uncertainty, and reports like this that the curve doesn't seem to affect much, I think I have the excuse I need to get the curved one, thank you.

Though that's a good question though. Once these start dropping down in price a tad bit more, and flat ones are here as well, I wonder how many of those who decry the curve would still go with a curved one if the flat ones still had this kind of premium. I would pay more for flat, but maybe quite a few wouldn't, even with their reservations about curve.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
If a flat one were available the same day as the curved one, but at close to a $500 premium, I would spring for the flat one, but add in all of the waiting, uncertainty, and reports like this that the curve doesn't seem to affect much, I think I have the excuse I need to get the curved one, thank you.

Though that's a good question though. Once these start dropping down in price a tad bit more, and flat ones are here as well, I wonder how many of those who decry the curve would still go with a curved one if the flat ones still had this kind of premium. I would pay more for flat, but maybe quite a few wouldn't, even with their reservations about curve.
This recent post from David Susilo implies that there is a manufacturing/yield reason that OLEDs are better off curved: Sony Curved LED-LCD UHDTV (post #45 )

If it is true that the OLED manufacturing process results in sheets that are naturally curved and flattening them leads to further yield loss, I'm afraid it will be a loooong time before LG introduces any additional 'flat' WOLEDs (and if/when they do, they are likely to be significantly more expensive than their curved cousins...).

[EDIT: according to Rogo, this is nonsense. I don't have an opinion (or any knowledge) on the matter and am just concerned/disappointed that there are not more options for flat OLED TVs on the horizon...]
Hinsoog likes this.

Last edited by fafrd; 08-10-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Aren't the 2nd gen screens wall mountable as well? That would be a big plus for curved screens.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Aren't the 2nd gen screens wall mountable as well? That would be a big plus for curved screens.

I believe so (and they are also very lite :-)
Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I believe so (and they are also very lite :-)
A 65" or 77" OLED that weighs less then my 50" plasma is definitely good news. Interesting to see what the mounts will look like.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
A 65" or 77" OLED that weighs less then my 50" plasma is definitely good news. Interesting to see what the mounts will look like.

The 77" is supposed to weigh 88lbs.

It is also supposed to have a depth of only 1.3 inches, which is less than either of the other Gen-2 WOLEDs and implies much less of a curve than either the 55" (1.7"D) or the 65" (2.2"D)...
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is also supposed to have a depth of only 1.3 inches, which is less than either of the other Gen-2 WOLEDs and implies much less of a curve than either the 55" (1.7"D) or the 65" (2.2"D)...

Impressive, my 50" weighs exactly the same. Without the stand it's about 78 pounds. All you need now is a low profile mount and you are set.
tazz3 likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:

That would be good news, indeed!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
FWIW, I do expect LG to show more flat screen OLED's at CES. The question is when they might get released. If they are Gen 3 models, we probably wont see them until the 2nd half of 2015.
Yes, 2015 is going to be the tipping point. If OLED is going to be for the mainstream mass consumer market we should hear of LG adding more factories and production lines and see demos for some flat 65"-80" OLED as well. I have a bad feeling though, Apple might be getting the majority of any flat OLED screens if they decide to release their long rumored AppleTV. God I hope not. Can you image the price of that thing once Apple adds their mark up?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This recent post from David Susilo implies that there is a manufacturing/yield reason that OLEDs are better off curved: Sony Curved LED-LCD UHDTV (post #45 )

If it is true that the OLED manufacturing process results in sheets that are naturally curved and flattening them leads to further yield loss, I'm afraid it will be a loooong time before LG introduces any additional 'flat' WOLEDs (and if/when they do, they are likely to be significantly more expensive than their curved cousins...).

[EDIT: according to Rogo, this is nonsense. I don't have an opinion (or any knowledge) on the matter and am just concerned/disappointed that there are not more options for flat OLED TVs on the horizon...]
Oh wow, thank you fafrd, that thread with that discussion between you guys was a very satisfying read. I want to say it was cathartic for me even. I recommend taking a peek to anyone reading this and following this whole issue of curve. You are the champion of my favorite entertainment cause!

So part of me actually wanted to believe David Susilo's comment, because it's arguably a way to make peace with the curve. To me, it would feel like an acceptable and necessary crime if it really was about increasing the lifespan of the screen and enable them to use the "new technology" for producing them and hopefully making this all a reality for a bigger audience. I suspect that OLED is important enough to many of us that it's a compromise we would make if it really was a necessary compromise. So of course we already have a flat 55" OLED on the market right now, and it happens to be more expensive than the curved versions, but my intuition tells me that it's all part of marketing hijinks and who they think they are selling it to. I'm speaking from ignorance, but it seems more absurd the more I think about it affecting the actual production of them. It's almost as if some engineers were trying to rationalize it for themselves where no other rational existed on the side of things not related to marketing. The existence of the bendable and rollable ones seems to imply that it's absurd. Even the angle of the curve seems arbitrary at this point, and if it were about a real limitation in producing them, it seems like it wouldn't be.

I don't know, but I feel like there just has to be an announcement of a flat one at CES 2015 in January. Maybe they'll find some marketing angle on it to make it more expensive and to keep some limelight on marketing's curve baby. The "Gallery" thing works for me! Look, the center of my perfect entertainment setup is hanging in this picture frame! It's also surrounded by enormous speakers!
fafrd likes this.

Last edited by Hinsoog; 08-12-2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-13-2014, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Well Samsung has annoyed me all weekend with their ads for their 65" ultra displays which they try to confuse with lg's oled sets by intentionally curving what otherwise would be flat lcd panels and sell them at a very nice premium.

Sammy can't mass produce a large oled display so they sell false leads to ignorant consumers who unknowingly believe they're getting "the cutting edge set" when the actual curved cutting edge set is sold by their great rivals. If you can't beat them, just mislead and confuse 'em
tazz3 likes this.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 08-13-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So surely like many of you, I'm very impatiently waiting for the LG 65" 4K OLED screens to come out. I cannot explain to you how ready I am for this TV, and have been holding off on upgrading my TV for quite a long time waiting for it. Of course I am thoroughly sold on the impact of perfect black and the importance of contrast, and it's the element I'm often so preoccupied with on so much of the content most important to me.

Of course, the splinter in my mind is that curve... I've virtually no interest in having a curved version of this like many of you, because I'm not sold on the marketing of TV form-factor vanity and related drivel, so it becomes a matter of "is my frothing desire for this TV enough that I can accept the curve, or do I endure a wait for however long for what I hope is an inevitable flat screen version..."

So, for the same reason that the price speculation thread exists, I'm just interested in thoughts about when we can expect this to happen, or if some of you have found ways to cope with the fact that our next-gen super TV, so close to fulfilling everything many of us have been wanting for so long, has a slight-yet-unfortunate curve, taunting you for the sake of a silly marketing message, heh.

So I guess what we de know is that LG first released the 1080p OLED screens at somewhere near this time period last year, and it took them until sometime the next spring to give us the flat "Gallery" version. My hope is that we don't have to wait even that long, or if we do have to wait, then hopefully we wouldn't have to wait longer than that this time, but I guess that's what is murky. It seems they know who wants the flat ones, and are selling the flat versions at a slight premium of the curved ones, which I'm at peace with just as long as we don't have to wait forever. Ultimately I guess there is a small advantage in waiting for this, since the prices will have likely come down in general to being pretty approachable for those wanting the best, even with an added premium for flat. I'm just about done with all of this waiting though, so my acceptable price range is pretty wide at this point.

Thoughts?
Can you place a non curved oled on a stand or does it have to be wall mounted? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
I'm totally with you on this, and welcome the creation of what I now regard as the online equivalent of a support group. :-)

Like you, I'd also wondered if we might see the arrival of a flat 65" 4K OLED next spring, similar to what LG did with the 55" gallery set. However, I suspect that, like it, we'll be asked to pay a major premium.

Perhaps more realistically we'll see a flat set arrive as a standard option in the 2015 line-up around this time next year. However, the pain still won't be completely eased, as we'll be then asked to pay a premium over the price the 2014 sets will have dropped to by then.

As for how I'm coping? Well, I'm lucky to be one of those deferred gratification types. However, I still check for information continuously, hoping to glean some sliver of gossip which will help keep me going until the set I want arrives at a price I'll pay.

I can only hope that when I do finally get my hands on one it doesn't prove an anticlimax after all the years of waiting.

Desk

The 55 inch gallery must be wall mounted.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post
Amen to that. It perhaps portrays me as being either not a particularly committed videophile or one who is so committed as to be committable (to an asylum), but when I finally go OLED I'll have bypassed plasma and LCD technology. That's right, I'm still rocking an old Cathode Ray Tube television, now an amazing 17 years old.

So, for me, it's been a long, agonising wait. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold on once the 65" 4K OLED comes out, but if we get word of a flat alternative within the first six months then I can see myself waiting yet longer still.

I'm just wondering whether a flat, razor-thin TV of that size will have the integral structure necessary to stand on its own, or whether the only option with those sets will be to wall mount them?

Desk
Same question I have. Do not want to wall mount. Especially at 55 inches. Low wall mounts look awkward compared to table supported.

Gear in this thread - 55EA8800 by PriceGrabber.com