Official Lineup for 2014 Value Electronics TV Shootout Announced - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 264Likes

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
This shootout will have almost no benefit to the consumer, except the handful of rich guys looking for a supersized screen. Not what you would expect from a place called "Value Electronics."

They should have included 4K sets in the 65" range, since that is what most customers will be buying. And we all know the extreme sizes are generally not indicative of other sizes and use different panels and even internal processing that would negate a consumer from using these results to judge other sizes in the line. I guess they can say there haven't been faceoffs of the largest sizes yet, but what use is it really?

Is it possible they are getting to keep those screens, so that is why they wanted these sizes? Just a chance to go on a shopping spree?
I think it makes perfect sense. the 1080p models are '1080p sized' and the UHD models are basically the sizes required to justify UHD resolutions. if they were allowing ppl to sit 4feet away, then they could get away with 55-65" models, but i'm assuming this will be like previous years, and those sizes are really necessary for UHD TV's.

basically the way I see it, if you look at small TV's, you'll see only small differences. if you look at large TV's, every flaw becomes that much more obvious, and the comparisons become that much better.

besides, this is the way the market is heading. we aren't comparing 42" plasmas, we are looking at the largest models available. it would be fair to limit the size of the UHD screens just because the 1080p ones are smaller.

ultimately this is a test for interest. there aren't many ppl that can write a blank cheque and say 'send me the winner'. the rest of us will decide with budget in mind, but I'd still want to know what the 'best' is and how the more value-oriented models compare.
fafrd likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
It's always interesting to know what professional reviewers think about a determined tv. I agree about the subjectivity of the curve's effect.

Thanks for the informative post about the Samsung plasma.

Sorry for the double post.
yeah true, it has it's merits. ultimately though, I read professional reviews so that I know what to look for or worry about when I go to the store.

ie, if the reviewer said the curve was distracting, but only with 'x' type of content, then I'd want to bring 'x' type of content to the store with me to see how bad it looked to me. if I disagreed with the pro review though, after carefully checking, I'd always go with my personal opinion.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Goo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
I hope the tweaked 500M makes an appearance this year. Will be very interesting to see how the OLED and 4K sets compare to it.
I would love to see this as well.

Even for a display that can't be purchased at stores I always like to see how the different technologies have advanced.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I don't think it should have the f8500 looks better to me, of course OLED kicks the butt of everything because for me black levels and contrast rules!
Quote:
Every single review has praised OLED up & down, the only negative people are the LCD & Plasma owners on this forum. I would put my money with the non-bias reviews.
The ZT60 is a multi-award winning panel as well with more than a few professional reviews rating it as the best plasma of 2013. Since the Pioneer KRP-500M was given an exception and allowed to appear last year, I'd be very interested in a 3-way featuring all 3 of the best-performing panels of 2013. That wouldn't likely help VE sell anything for 2014 so is a little more than an academic exercise, but the ZT is a high-caliber panel whose performance speaks for itself.
sage11x likes this.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Every single review has praised OLED up & down, the only negative people are the LCD & Plasma owners on this forum. I would put my money with the non-bias reviews.
I think your dramatizing a bit here on AVS lately. A few people have questioned OLED uniformity and longevity a you go off the deep end.

Probably 95% + people on AVS have LCD or plasma. Bar the few CRT and projection crowd that don't own either plasma or LCD.
Stereodude, koan, sage11x and 1 others like this.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 742
^^^and susceptibility to IR, and increasing pixel failures over time, and motion blur, and...
Stereodude, koan, sage11x and 2 others like this.

Last edited by fafrd; 07-31-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Why no Sony W950B for the 1080p lineup? Just seems fair since that tv is Sony's flagship 1080p tv.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_star View Post
The ZT60 is a multi-award winning panel as well with more than a few professional reviews rating it as the best plasma of 2013. Since the Pioneer KRP-500M was given an exception and allowed to appear last year, I'd be very interested in a 3-way featuring all 3 of the best-performing panels of 2013. That wouldn't likely help VE sell anything for 2014 so is a little more than an academic exercise, but the ZT is a high-caliber panel whose performance speaks for itself.
I as many prefer the F8500, this does not make anyone right or wrong, just a personal preference. I believe the f8500 is the closet image to an OLED. I find the ZT too dark and not nearly as sharp as the f8500, just my preference.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-31-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
The LG OLED did lose to the Panasonic ZT60 in a recent shootout. Here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/result-201406013793.htm

Personally, I'm very excited about OLED but at the current prices and with so many questions about it's longevity and durability it's simply not an option at this time. Hopefully they can get the bugs worked out and the prices down to a reasonable level.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Here is the (almost) final list of the TVs that are scheduled to be included in the shootout:

UHD/4K Models

LG 79UB9800 or 84UB9800 LED-edgelit LCD

Samsung UN78HU9000 LED-edgelit LCD

Samsung UN85S9 16:9 or UN105S9W 21:9 LED-FALD LCD

Sony XBR-85X950B LED-FALD LCD

1080p Models:

LG 55EC9300 OLED

Samsung PN64F8500 plasma

Samsung KN55S9C OLED

Possible:

Vizio M652i-B2 1080p LED-FALD LCD

Among the TVs currently on the list, which one do you think will win the popular and expert vote?
Right there above, in Blue Navy color.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The LG OLED did lose to the Panasonic ZT60 in a recent shootout. Here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/result-201406013793.htm

Personally, I'm very excited about OLED but at the current prices and with so many questions about it's longevity and durability it's simply not an option at this time. Hopefully they can get the bugs worked out and the prices down to a reasonable level.
It did but it came in second place, no 4K LCD even received one vote for best TV. I am not a fan of the ZT, I think it's dark and looks out of focus compared to the F8500. I can purchase a 65" ZT for 2k tomorrow and have zero interest. Maybe calibrated in a controlled environment it does great, I don't have the luxury of controlling my environment.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I as many prefer the F8500, this does not make anyone right or wrong, just a personal preference. I believe the f8500 is the closet image to an OLED. I find the ZT too dark and not nearly as sharp as the f8500, just my preference.
"Many" is just anecdotal noise without any hard data to support it. The F8500 adds a layer of image processing that gives the appearance of more sharpness, but they are equally competent in resolving all the detail from the source. What you probably prefer is the decreased ABL of the F8500 making the image appear with brighter highlights. Depending on the environment, one versus the other will appear more like OLED (in brighter environments, the F8500, and in darker environments, the ZT60). Yes, the ZT needs a semblance of a controlled environment but the light filter works excellently with a degree of ambient lighting (not especially well in a bright enviro since the light output tends to be more limited).

Last edited by wandering_star; 07-31-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice blacks.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think you answered your own question.

There really isn't much point. In fact I'm surprised they're even bothering to include the plasma and OLED from Samsung as Samsung has been pretty clear about where their future lies. 4k LCD is here and as we witnessed in the 'To Buy or Not To Buy' thread the answer is always going to be 4k. If OLED wants to compete it's going to have to be by selling 4k OLED panels at a loss-- not something any manufacturer is too excited about in this economy I bet.

--Carl Sagan
Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Nice blacks.
Pfft... You should see the pics I took of my Olevia back in 2006!
Ken Ross likes this.

--Carl Sagan
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Pfft... You should see the pics I took of my Olevia back in 2006!
Pffft... You should see my dreams @ night while I'm sleeping (2014)! ...With my hair covering my eyes.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I think you answered your own question.
It wasn't really a question.

Quote:
There really isn't much point. In fact I'm surprised they're even bothering to include the plasma and OLED from Samsung as Samsung has been pretty clear about where their future lies.
Yes, apparently VE have been assured supply for those two panels for the remainder of the year more or less.

Quote:
4k LCD is here and as we witnessed in the 'To Buy or Not To Buy' thread the answer is always going to be 4k. If OLED wants to compete it's going to have to be by selling 4k OLED panels at a loss-- not something any manufacturer is too excited about in this economy I bet.
That entirely depends on how quickly they can ramp up economies of scale. The preorder price for the new 65" has already matched the high-end price from Sony's flagship.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 278
2 more Plasmas should be there; ZT/VT and a Pioneer kuro. With that said i'm not looking forward to this shoot out at all.
StinDaWg, linger63 and Vegas oled like this.

home theater addict
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It wasn't really a question.

Yes, apparently VE have been assured supply for those two panels for the remainder of the year more or less.

That entirely depends on how quickly they can ramp up economies of scale. The preorder price for the new 65" has already matched the high-end price from Sony's flagship.
I own a VT60 so I'm with you on the it being one of the best. But let's say they include the ZT and it wins like it did in that hdtvtest shootout-- doesn't that just throw more salt in the wound at this point? Lol!

--Carl Sagan
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Kuro, what's that!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Kuro, what's that!
A 6 year old display that still stands up to every other out there. Really though, i just think they should be there so we can see how they compare to these "new amazing TV's." Both the Panasonic and Pioneer are reference displays so why not give us a chance to see how far these new TV's get in performance.
linger63 likes this.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 07-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 244
As much as I like the F8500, which I own, it will not win, nor should it. It fails every 24p and 30p motion test. You don't win when you fail. Of course, every plasma fails that test. If you can't be the best at blacks, you cant be the best at contrast, which means you cant be the best overall.

Last edited by wxman; 07-31-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
As much as I like the F8500, which I own, it will not win, nor should it.
Yeah it's definitely not winning. OLED will take it.

home theater addict
Old 07-31-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
A 6 year old display that still stands up to every other out there. Really though, i just think they should be there so we can see how they compare to these "new amazing TV's." Both the Panasonic and Pioneer are reference displays so why not give us a chance to see how far these new TV's get in performance.

Because Value Electronics is in the business of selling TVs (to stay in business :-), not to fan the flames of nostalgia...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A 6 year old display that still stands up to every other out there. Really though, i just think they should be there so we can see how they compare to these "new amazing TV's."
Both the Panasonic and Pioneer are reference displays so why not give us a chance to see how far these new TV's get in performance.
I thought that the Samsung PN64F8500 was.

* Nice seeing you saprano.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Because Value Electronics is in the business of selling TVs (to stay in business :-), not to fan the flames of nostalgia...
Nothing to do with that. Just want to see how other TV's stack up. They did it plenty times before.

home theater addict
Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Very good point; them TVs are dead now.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nothing to do with that. Just want to see how other TV's stack up. They did it plenty times before.

Never with 3 out of production TVs (in addition to the out-of-production Samsung OLED)...

Last year's winner is enough for continuities sake - heck, it even allows you to normalize scores and make a master multi-year list!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I thought that the Samsung PN64F8500 was.

* Nice seeing you saprano.
All 3 could be said to be, depending on the one who is speaking.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just to make you feel good; say it.

Tags
frontpage